Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,464 members, 7,808,648 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:51 PM

Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos (63711 Views)

Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision / Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by osamz007: 11:42am On Aug 26, 2020
Righteousness89 are this not signs of the end time

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Lexusgs430: 11:42am On Aug 26, 2020
It's about time........ cheesy

Few more hurdles to cross, most importantly........

That useless culture & tradition and lastly...... Mindset....... grin

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Ishilove: 11:42am On Aug 26, 2020
So many hidden posts cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Teespice(f): 11:42am On Aug 26, 2020
property of her husband.....
okay oooo

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 26, 2020
This doesn't call for debate because there's no unified Igbo tradition. The Supreme Court judgement is good as far as I'm concerned. Of course, news like this will suit Igbo daughters who've crass and opportunistic personalities and anyone from other parts of the country who inherently has a penchant for gloating Igbo people, see them reveling and casting aspersions on the generality of Igbo men, directly or indirectly.

Hypocritically disingenuous elements.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Sholaco: 11:43am On Aug 26, 2020
Dickeyrider:
Igbos are not tolerant yet they want biafra. I have never seen a tribe more confused
so terrible! This are the same tribe crying for been marginalized. Do not do to others what you do not want others to do to u

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by osamz007: 11:43am On Aug 26, 2020
Righteousness89 are this not signs of the end time?

7 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by SEGLIZ: 11:43am On Aug 26, 2020
uneasy.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by osejie17(m): 11:43am On Aug 26, 2020
Every child either male or female is relevant to the family and inheritance should be apportioned accordingly. I'm happy the court is ruling against discrimination

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by IgboSomalia: 11:44am On Aug 26, 2020
You see those Igbos insulting others, ask them if their mothers and sisters can inherit property. Very foolish discriminatory beings.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by MrColdsweat: 11:44am On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
They want to rule Nigeria but in 2020 still treating women as second class citizens, denying women from inheritance. Very backward people. No Ibo will rule this country in 2023.

Don't be a foolish animal.

What about you yorubas that bury your kings with 7 human heads?

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by InvertedHammer: 11:45am On Aug 26, 2020
/
Anyone who is my direct blood must inherit my things irrespective of gender.

Perhaps we should go back to killing twins since it was our culture.

\

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Patrioticman007(m): 11:45am On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
They want to rule Nigeria but in 2020 still treating women as second class citizens, denying women from inheritance. Very backward people. No Ibo will rule this country in 2023.

The barbaric culture has been thrown into the dustbin, where it belonged to. These are the reasons the colonial masters forced Christianity on these people for they met them practising barbaric culture that is in conflict natural law & human conscience. A typical Igbo man keeps an idol at home, while he goes to church on Sundays, which is part of the tradition of appeasing the gods of the land, with seaman schnapps & red palm oil.

17 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by mightyhazell: 11:46am On Aug 26, 2020
onweghidi

my wonderful daughters must share in my inheritance..

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by udemzyudex(m): 11:46am On Aug 26, 2020
ojuu4u:
Long overdue I argued it with one guy in March, I told him if any female take her family to the court that she will win, the guy blindly argued, saying nobody can try it in East. That, its their culture. I told him! Can ur culture supersede Nigeria constitution?

Don't mind them, it's so annoying, when a man have only female children, after his death the family member will take over everything and leave the family with nothing.

It's crazy.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by bptc10: 11:46am On Aug 26, 2020
I supported this 100%, I have said it as an Igbo man, all that I achieved in life will be shared equal between my male and female children, it's time we stop this nonsense

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Noneroone(m): 11:46am On Aug 26, 2020
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/04/inheritance-supreme-court-voids-discrimination-females-igboland/

Isn't this an old news? Lalasticlala

and how does the court get to rule on "tradition"? It is an academic exercise.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by MrColdsweat: 11:47am On Aug 26, 2020
You yarribastards have killed the thread with your Igbo hate.

The reason why this is so, is because by getting married, a woman shares her husbands inheritance.

If a woman is allowed to have inheritance, she will take inheritance from her father, and still share her husband's inheritance.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by PerseDew(f): 11:47am On Aug 26, 2020
Good thing Ms Gladys took this matter to court. When it pains the most is when the daughter(s) have literally nothing in terms of a job or a business and you will see men like the king that was threatening chaos insisting on the lady getting nothing but they will be the first to flip out if she wears uncovers her hair in church or does not attend the town's women meeting. But why will she do so when she sees that her interests as a woman are not covered or what else is the essence of such meetings if not to protect your right as an indigene of the town and in turn ensure progressive growth of the town.

These same men that oppose judgement in favour of Ms. Gladys will start quoting bible when a woman does wears does not cover hair in church or wears trousers. But they can never see the part in the bible where God changed the laws of inheritance for the five daughters of Zelophehad to inherit their father's property. The same goes for igbo men of God that know about this issue of females inheriting nothing but would rather ignore and encourage penniless ladies to continue praying for jobs, husband or wealth to fall on her husband when her portion of inheritance could go a long way in changing her status.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by mightyhazell: 11:47am On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
They will rule you nevertheless and you are going to be happy and obedient

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by bptc10: 11:48am On Aug 26, 2020
This is not excuse my friend
MrColdsweat:
You yarribastards have killed the thread with your Igbo hate.

The reason why this is so, is because by getting married, a woman shares her husbands inheritance.

If a woman is allowed to have inheritance, she will take inheritance from her father, and still share her husband's inheritance.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by MrColdsweat: 11:49am On Aug 26, 2020
bptc10:
This is not excuse my friend

What is your excuse for burying your kings with 7 human heads?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by ekaette1621: 11:49am On Aug 26, 2020
a
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by kevoh(m): 11:49am On Aug 26, 2020
chatinent:
No matter what is decided, a typical Igbo man will not regard it.
He doesn't have to regard it, that's why the courts are there to enact compliance! Any female that feels discriminated against in terms of properties and can afford the legal fees can simply walk to the courts for resolution.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by ProfBrugo: 11:50am On Aug 26, 2020
Igbo women have been in slavery since. Today they have found freedom.

As expected many igbo men disagree with the judgment because they now have to share with their sisters. The greed is too much.

Any igbo man who denies his sister her share of their father’s property will be dragged to court to vomit the yams. grin

Backwardness is not attractive abeg.

Next on the agenda is OSU caste system. That will take another 25 years but slowly they will have sense and abolish it themselves.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Chienex24(m): 11:51am On Aug 26, 2020
tot:
Why can't people simply make wills? That would have the final say over any custom.

Thank youuuuu!!!. You deserve a deep kiss for this!!

Distributing wealth and properties can easily be stated in a man's will. No big deal!!

But this our government is simply hypocritical sort of when we compare their actions between the north & south. Sharia court sentenced a 13yr-old boy, a minor to jail, another to death but they did nothing even when our constitution is supreme to theirs...
Is it that currently, the North seems untouchable and nothing can be overturned?? undecided undecided

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by tot(f): 11:51am On Aug 26, 2020
Why can't people simply make wills? That would have the final say over any custom.

10 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by fraymite: 11:51am On Aug 26, 2020
So igbó has this kind of discrimination and abuse of rights, and they are quick to abuse Muslims when living according to Islamic doctrine. Most of them are Christians and Christianity doesn't preach against non inheritance of female child, please correct me if I'm wrong.

In Islam, female child is to collect half of inheritance of Male child. She will inherit the other half at her husband's house. Then male child has no where to inherit aside from her parents. You can see that Islam doesn't undermine your right as a woman, you were strategically placed equally with men in many areas. You only need to learn your religion on every matter instead of allowing non Muslims to cast hatred into your heart.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Jlow2: 11:52am On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
and what have you done about those choping off pples hand because they drank beer,re dey not ruling you or is it not part of Nigeria? Hydurillic soup pple

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 11:52am On Aug 26, 2020
Aren't women human beings too?

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by golddare: 11:52am On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2020/08/supreme-courts-decision-on-female-inheritance-divides-igbo/amp/

Maginalising women for over a century in the name of culture, any culture that doesn't have human face all over Nigeria must be abolished. Another one is that of Edo that gives everything to the first son, imagine that.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) / Ooni Of Ife Performs Ritual Before Boarding Arik Airplane (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.