Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,010 members, 7,799,451 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos (63518 Views)

Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision / Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 11:52am On Aug 26, 2020
Good one!!
And for those shouting "culture and tradition" any culture or tradition that relegates another human being as second class based on gender or status is BACKWARD, BARBARIC and UTTERLY REPREHENSIBLE.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:53am On Aug 26, 2020
This thread is getting interesting with every page.

Let's keep on reading........ lipsrsealed
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Ugwuoha: 11:54am On Aug 26, 2020
If the man is survived by only female children.
If he expressly wills any part of his own property to his female children.

Those should be the provisions.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by omooba969(m): 11:54am On Aug 26, 2020
Dickeyrider:
Igbos are not tolerant yet they want biafra. I have never seen a tribe more confused

Not in their blood to be tolerant, I'm afraid. grin

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Ayofaks(f): 11:54am On Aug 26, 2020
This should also be abolished just like they abolished the osu caste system.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 26, 2020
MrColdsweat:
You yarribastards have killed the thread with your Igbo hate.

The reason why this is so, is because by getting married, a woman shares her husbands inheritance.

If a woman is allowed to have inheritance, she will take inheritance from her father, and still share her husband's inheritance.

Utter nonsense you just wrote.

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Strokephysio(m): 11:55am On Aug 26, 2020
Mtcheeew...!!
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nicepoker(m): 11:55am On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
They want to rule Nigeria but in 2020 still treating women as second class citizens, denying women from inheritance. Very backward people. No Ibo will rule this country in 2023.
After the civil war. They were promised reconciliation, rehabilitation . Tell your self is your conscience not blaming you for this statement you made?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Beverlyjean(f): 11:55am On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
They want to rule Nigeria but in 2020 still treating women as second class citizens, denying women from inheritance. Very backward people. No Ibo will rule this country in 2023.

How do northerners treat their women.... hypocrisy written all over u

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by bewla(m): 11:55am On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
Ta we all have Nigeria as ours not as yours pls

treat me the way you want me to treat u

I bi confirm Yoruba in Nigeria we stand

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by omooba969(m): 11:55am On Aug 26, 2020
Chii59:
Good one!!
And for those shouting "culture and tradition" any culture or tradition that relegates another human being as second class based on gender or status is BACKWARD, BARBARIC and UTTERLY REPREHENSIBLE.

Oil dey ya head. smiley

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by mamotalk: 11:56am On Aug 26, 2020
but seriously there was a gathering in our compound in May this year. I was surprised when the guys (Igbo) scolded me for for inviting a neighbor to come and take drink. they said she's female. I was provoked but I kept my anger because I didn't want to be tag a drunk if I overreacted. we should all know that we Didn't choose our gender by ourselves.

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nicepoker(m): 11:57am On Aug 26, 2020
Dickeyrider:
Igbos are not tolerant yet they want biafra. I have never seen a tribe more confused
Have you gone through the history of the Chinese?
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Swanzi(m): 11:58am On Aug 26, 2020
ojuu4u:
Long overdue I argued it with one guy in March, I told him if any female take her family to the court that she will win, the guy blindly argued, saying nobody can try it in East. That, its their culture. I told him! Can ur culture supersede Nigeria constitution?

Pls don’t be a hypocrite are u not aware there’s a sharia court in the north ...?

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by DaddyGngeess(m): 11:59am On Aug 26, 2020
My daughters will have more share of my properties then my sons self, or it will be share equal, they are all my children..
Peace.

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by pocohantas(f): 12:00pm On Aug 26, 2020
I stayed in the SW for years, people gave birth and everyone was happy. The second I entered bus and landed in the SE...

That was the first time I heard the question “What did she born?” I didn’t understand why anyone would ask such at the birth of a child with so much seriousness. With time I got to understand chauvinism is deeply rooted in most Igbo men. Some are just more subtle... A few are enlightened. The rest... pftttt

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Cantonese: 12:01pm On Aug 26, 2020
The Igbos are always very honest and forthright. This practice is not limited to the Igbos only. It is an African culture.

Generally women are not expected to take their family's wealth to their husband's home. The general belief is that the wealth of the lady's family would be diminished while her husband's family would be made richer.

Anyone from other parts of Nigeria who makes irresponsible comments against the Igbos about this age long African culture simple deceives himself or herself.

Women are generally treated as second class citizens in Africa and this attitude.must stop. Some fathers try to circumvent this be sharing their wealth among their children while they are alive.

Our courts are filled with such cases without respect to tribe and religion. Among the northerners, do the women even have rights at all? A man marries more than four wives and treats.the whole women including his daughters as nobody. Where are the rights of the southwest women in this matter. Even the educated carry without caring about women in their homes.

The supreme court made the right judgement. Let's celebrate this sound judgement and liberation of our women.

7 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 12:02pm On Aug 26, 2020
pocohantas:
I stayed in the SW for years, people gave birth and everyone was happy. The second I entered bus and landed in the SE...

That was the first time I heard the question “What did she born?” I didn’t even understand why anyone will ask such at the birth of a child with so much seriousness. With time I got to understand chauvinism is deeply rooted in most Igbo man. Some are just more subtle... A few are enlightened. The rest... pftttt
Unfortunately true.

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by captianfreeman(m): 12:02pm On Aug 26, 2020
Igbo Amaka
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by captianfreeman(m): 12:02pm On Aug 26, 2020
Igbo Amaka
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by PureFace1(m): 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2020
MrColdsweat:

Don't be a foolish animal.

What about you yorubas that bury your kings with 7 human heads?

Lol Yoruba no longer practice that any more, It is just rumours and Propaganda
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Akacollins7: 12:03pm On Aug 26, 2020
What did Bible tell us about inheritance, Number 27. A lady that'll marry to another man that have own father inheritance, have already have inheritance. Her brother too marry to another lady, the lady have inheritance with the brother. This just greediness. The best gift you can give your daughter is best education or otherwise

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Chirowman(m): 12:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
good development
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
chatinent:
No matter what is decided, a typical Igbo man will not regard it.
If taken to court he has no choice than to follow the judgment.
There is nothing he can do that is why women should know their rights

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Kpartners: 12:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
Very soon one of this backward people go buy your papa house, take the land build plaza, and it will happen soon. Mpama

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
SpecialAdviser:
Am an Igbo, I support that every female should have right to their father's property.

My daughters will have right to my property.

Anybody against it is just plain s.tupid.
Well said

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by PureFace1(m): 12:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
MrColdsweat:

What is your excuse for burying your kings with 7 human heads?

It is just rumours and Propaganda, we don't bury our kings with 7 human heads
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by omooba969(m): 12:04pm On Aug 26, 2020
MrColdsweat:

Don't be a foolish animal.

What about you yorubas that bury your kings with 7 human heads?

Habaaaa! Where's your evidence - try dey reduce your lies small small na. grin

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by ojuu4u(m): 12:06pm On Aug 26, 2020
Swanzi:

Pls don’t be a hypocrite are u not aware there’s a sharia court in the north ...?

Talk about this one first. Its only a foolish and greedy man that will think of excluding females from inheritance, when you want to give females out in marriage, you guys charge exorbitant *prices on them, when the female is successful and brings money or gifts for daddy, non of you would complain that she is a female,wen never you want to contribute money for family projects, you will remember married women to participate but wen it comes to inheritance you guys would now result to FOOLISH, WICKED & BARBARIC custom.

8 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by FIRSTSECOND: 12:07pm On Aug 26, 2020
... Great! That is why Islam is great in terms of inheritance expecially to the female folks.

Quran 4: 7,11 & 12 deals with it all.

It is a landmark judgement.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

African Tribeswoman In Supermarket Wearing Goat Skins & Mud For Sunscreen (pix) / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Burial Photos, Video / Estako Names And Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.