Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos - Culture (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos (63696 Views)

Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision / Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by tomaswatts: 9:55pm On Oct 02, 2020
Hello everybody! I'm currently writing my master dissertation about "Nollywood and Africa". I would be very grateful if you could help me with this survey that I've made. Please feel free to comment this publication about your views on Nollywood. Any help is welcome! smiley

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe052wG52yldqbgsjpGjYeJnVIwCfDB-cKHyI-sV9ZOMIn_nQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by herich(m): 9:45am On Oct 07, 2020
FrLukas:

You must mistake me for your family members.

Osu! I know my family members,
You're an outcast,,, okay?
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by omonnakoda: 2:58pm On Dec 12, 2022
Very primitive and barbaric tradition
CaptainAyub:

Monsurudeen,by custom d only thing females don't inherit in Igbo land is the man's obi (house in the village) to prevent it from falling into ruins cos it is expected that she will marry and move out so a son is needed to inherit it and maintain it so as to keep the man's name and legacy alive
Apart from that,either the man shares his properties while alive or d children share when he dies but nobody prevents females from getting their shares of their father's properties in Igbo land.
My female cousin who has been married and living in faraway US since 1996 got a duplex in 1st Avenue Gwarimpa,Abuja as her own share of from her father's properties,if nairaland wasn't a small place,I'd have dropped d name of her father here.He was of d 99-2003 senators set.
I don't expect U to believe sha cos most of you base your perception of Igbos on what you see in Nollywood grin
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by omonnakoda: 3:14pm On Dec 12, 2022
CaptainAyub:

Those are olden day practices,some poor,living in the village,uneducated and unexposed ppl still attempt such.
I believe such archaic practices are not only practiced among the poor and uneducated in Igbo land,every tribe/culture has theirs just like some parts of Benue are said to offer their wives for sex as welcome packages to visitors.
It's just like the issue of osu,we we discussing d other day among about 7 of us in our 30s and 40s,none of us had seen anybody called osu or seen ppl referred to as osu.
One of us from Imo State informed us it is only practiced in one particular local govt in Imo State.
Human nature is basically greedy,some poor and uneducated village dwellers might want to use such old customs to shortchange their female siblings hence it is good d supreme court made an official pronouncement on it.
Such things died with the advent of christianity.
Even b4 this supreme court pronouncement, any male sibling who attempted it always landed in court and d property will be shared by probate registry.
I know nothing I say can convince you cos u are a notorious anti Igbo tribalist but its just for general education.

Stop lying to yourself

This story cam up EVEN AFTER the Supreme Court judgment

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55675987

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings / Estako Names And Meanings / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.