Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos (63690 Views)

Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision / Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 12:07pm On Aug 26, 2020
Cantonese:
The Igbos are always very honest and forthright. This practice is not limited to the Igbos only. It is an African culture.

Generally women are not expected to take their family'wealth to their husband's home. The general belief is that the wealth of the lady's family would be diminished while her husband's family would be made richer.

Anyone from other parts of Nigeria who makes irresponsible comments against the Igbos about this age long African culture simple deceives himself or herself.

Women are generally treated as second class citizens in Africa and this attitude.must stop. Some fathers try to circumvent this be sharing their wealth among their children while they are alive.

Our courts are filled with such cases without respect to tribe and religion. Among the northerners, do the women even have rights at all? A man marries more than four wives and treats.the whole women including his daughters as nobody. Where are the rights of the southwest women in this matter. Even the educated carry without caring about women in their homes.

The supreme court made the right judgement. Let's celebrate this sound judgement and liberation of our women.

You are absolutely wrong.

Just limit your observations to Igbo culture please.

Relegating women to the background is NOT a general African culture.

I am Yoruba and I know that women are highly revered in Yoruba culture.

Go and read of the likes of Efunsetan, Moremi etc. Yorubas have many goddesses that they worship and revere like Osun, Oba, Yemoja, Oya etc.

Apart from Yoruba, there are other African cultures that the female takes pride of place.

There's one in east Africa where the women are the ones that choose the men they want to marry and they are allowed to do away with the men and marry another one when they are tired of them. Etc.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by rottennaija(m): 12:07pm On Aug 26, 2020
righteousness89:
Am an Igbo, I support that every female should have right to their father's property.

My daughters will have right to my property.

Anybody against it is just plain s.tupid.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by true2god: 12:07pm On Aug 26, 2020
A supreme court headed by an Fulani man whose intent is to destroy Igbo tradition but is hell bent on preserving Arabian and Islamic culture in Nigeria. While I am an advocate of gender equality and I equally against the use of Nigerian institution to destroy an old Igbo culture. This law will never fly but only on paper.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by ceeceeuwa: 12:07pm On Aug 26, 2020
MrColdsweat:
You yarribastards have killed the thread with your Igbo hate.

The reason why this is so, is because by getting married, a woman shares her husbands inheritance.

If a woman is allowed to have inheritance, she will take inheritance from her father, and still share her husband's inheritance.

So?

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by PericomaNwankwo: 12:08pm On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
They want to rule Nigeria but in 2020 still treating women as second class citizens, denying women from inheritance. Very backward people. No Ibo will rule this country in 2023.

I didn't read the post I already knew the OP is another idle frightened intimidated fufu/garri/dodo chewing yarriba from waste nigger-area.

For the education of your poopee filled head, in every part of igboland, there's a system of sharing inheritance and every person gets theirs based on tradition. Igbo is not centralized and traditions differ. The mere fact that this issue is more common with your people because of their lazy mindset and entitlement mentality shows how dishonest you are to yourself and your fellow yarriba.

We have seen how your royal families fight over unnecessary things

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Rutherford2019: 12:08pm On Aug 26, 2020
My mother and auntie are victims of the law. .
Their father died when they were 5 and 7 and he had no son, uncle or brother so people around the neighbourhood took over their property and drove them out with their mother then..
My grandmother(their mother ) died in 2007 and was buried in my aunt's house..
When my mother and auntie early in 2017 went to reclaim their father's land on the ground that their father has no brother or son and those inheriting the property is not their relatives, the people using the property chased them away in fact they hired community members and they warned them not to step their feet in that place again claiming that they have married and have no right to inherit the said property..
I the law is injurious to good conscience and repugnant to natural justice

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 12:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
And one idiot will come here spilling trash about Biafra. Is this the nonsense misogynist trash we will carry on with when we divide, if true then the so called Biafra will crumble like a car put together with chewing gum, if you take them on it they will start screaming. I come from an igbo home so I know how bad it is, the way they made my sister do everything then make it seem like I was entitled never actually occurred to me until later, though my father did not allow it my mother (a woman oh can you imagine) engineered it. Chai, let us stop behaving barbaric and change for shit's sakes, my grandson even told me that in our village women are not allowed to sell land tufia.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by UnimkeAk(m): 12:09pm On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
They want to rule Nigeria but in 2020 still treating women as second class citizens, denying women from inheritance. Very backward people. No Ibo will rule this country in 2023.
What will u say about northerners...
I'm not Igbo by the way

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by PericomaNwankwo: 12:10pm On Aug 26, 2020
FrLukas:

Women are highly revered in all cultures. Stop being a child, it's not like yarriba women have done anything to make them stand out. Igbos are the pace setters and your refusal to admit it to yourself is why you people keep bringing up unnecessary fights.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 12:10pm On Aug 26, 2020
Cantonese:
The Igbos are always very honest and forthright. This practice is not limited to the Igbos only. It is an African culture.

Generally women are not expected to take their family'wealth to their husband's home. The general belief is that the wealth of the lady's family would be diminished while her husband's family would be made richer.

Anyone from other parts of Nigeria who makes irresponsible comments against the Igbos about this age long African culture simple deceives himself or herself.

Women are generally treated as second class citizens in Africa and this attitude.must stop. Some fathers try to circumvent this be sharing their wealth among their children while they are alive.

Our courts are filled with such cases without respect to tribe and religion. Among the northerners, do the women even have rights at all? A man marries more than four wives and treats.the whole women including his daughters as nobody. Where are the rights of the southwest women in this matter. Even the educated carry without caring about women in their homes.

The supreme court made the right judgement. Let's celebrate this sound judgement and liberation of our women.
What about the Kikuyu of Kenya. Abegii no bring that useless talk here.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Yankee101: 12:11pm On Aug 26, 2020
The same way I don't subscribe to the inhuman aspects of Shariah in the North or the human sacrifices in the West, i would never subscribe to any law or tradition that reduces a woman to a second class citizen

The Supreme Court rule stands. If you deny any female child her inheritance the full weight of the law should descend on you and may your own part of the inheritance be used to settle her legal fees.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Arkesen: 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2020
castrogee:

So says a wicked afonja. Who'd only live to jealous his neighbours wife.

Did he lie about that?
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by toprealman: 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2020
BabaRamota1980:
What's the practice in your tribe?
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by pocohantas(f): 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2020
SegFault:
And one idiot will come here spilling trash about Biafra. Is this the nonsense misogynist trash we will carry on with when we divide, if true then the so called Biafra will crumble like a car put together with chewing gum, if you take them on it they will start screaming. I come from an igbo home so I know how bad it is, the way they made my sister do everything then make it seem like I was entitled never actually occurred to me until later, though my father did not allow it my mother (a woman oh can you imagine) engineered it. Chai, let us stop behaving barbaric and change for shit's sakes, my grandson even told me that in our village women are not allowed to sell land tufia.

I won’t follow them to any useless Biafra. It is better I jump into the Mediterranean.

I always tell my brother that the reason he is even different is because we were not brought up at home. Plus I no give am chance and my aunty sef wey be feminist from the womb dey give am sliding tackle steady. Na two of us follow wash plate and beans. Nonsense grin grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Eddygre8(m): 12:12pm On Aug 26, 2020
Right
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AFONJAPIG(m): 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2020
Only if the woman will retain her father's name and forget about marriage and can have children outside wedlock just to retain the father's name.. Afamefula... All these Afonja judges and their kangaroo judgment Will be strike out when we restore sovereignty State of Biafra

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by farem: 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2020
Barbaric and bestial cultures like this are always supported by good for nothing males who can't think of anything except inheritance.
Wasn't killing of twins also a culture? Would they have also rejected the stoppage if they were igbos just because they wanted to preserve their dark culture?
Satanists always hide behind culture.
Culture my foot!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by DigitB: 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2020
All these people calling Igbos backwards. You all are really in sifia pain.

Every tribe has one or more discriminatory tradition.

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by DexterousOne(m): 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2020
chatinent:
No matter what is decided, a typical Igbo man will not regard it.

Try it at your own risk

Disregarding a supreme court judgement
It's like you dont know the implications of such folly

6 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by ThatFairGuy1: 12:14pm On Aug 26, 2020
This is good. Any culture that violates the right of humanity Should be do away with.
That's why all those Oro in some part of Yorubaland Should not expect women to be indoor because of their rituals. THIS IS NOT STONE AGE

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by PureFace1(m): 12:14pm On Aug 26, 2020
Kpartners:

Very soon one of this backward people go buy your papa house, take the land build plaza, and it will happen soon. Mpama

And would that still stop you from killing yourselves over erosion ravaged land in Anambra like you guys did earlier this year? grin

Typical Nyamirin

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by GoldHorse(m): 12:15pm On Aug 26, 2020
udemzyudex:

Don't mind them, it's so annoying, when a man have only female children, after his death the family member will take over everything and leave the family with nothing.

It's crazy.

Ooooh! I now see why many Igbo family are very desperate (rightfully so in view of this tradition) to have a male child at all cost! Why will I work all my life and see my property goes to uncles and cousins while my (female) children are deprived of what is rightfully theirs?

BTW Onnoghen still dey work upon all the noises and action movies? shocked

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by ThatFairGuy1: 12:15pm On Aug 26, 2020
AFONJAPIG:
Only if the woman will retain her father's name and forget about marriage and can have children outside wedlock just to retain the father's name.. Afamefula... All these Afonja judges and their kangaroo judgment Will be strike out when we restore sovereignty State of Biafra
Do away with MENTAL SLAVERY. THIS IS 21ST CENTURY

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by manunitedbabes: 12:16pm On Aug 26, 2020
grin tor my father didn't leave any assets so why am I worried. All those talking against it no wahala shey some people don't even have any boy in their homes all na girls . . . time will tell what future holds
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 12:16pm On Aug 26, 2020
pocohantas:

I won’t follow them to any useless Biafra. It is better I jump into the Mediterranean.

I always tell my brother that the reason he is even different is because we were not brought up at home. Plus I no even give am chance and my aunty sef wey be feminist from the womb dey give am sliding tackle steady. Na two of us follow wash plate and beans. Nonsense grin grin
Man just tire for Africans and their misogynist customs they don't want to dispose of, though times are changing now, I've gone to many homes and the boys and girls are forced to do the same jobs, boys do more work than girls self because I can't imagine a girl pounding yam or doing all those hard menial jobs.

6 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by ggood: 12:17pm On Aug 26, 2020
udemzyudex:

Don't mind them, it's so annoying, when a man have only female children, after his death the family member will take over everything and leave the family with nothing.

It's crazy.
too bad
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by ice247(m): 12:17pm On Aug 26, 2020
If you write your will and final testament and distribute your wealth/properties to your children (male and female) all these issues won't be raised.as for me my daughters will get an inheritance

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by moorevic(m): 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
Lets all be honest, even before the ruling, we igbo's give our ladies inheritance. Many igbo parents grant inheritance to their daughters.

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by RTSC: 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
Those idiots that disagree should be ashamed of themselves.

It's because of this same mentality that will give the brothers of the husband the audacity to chase a woman out of her husband's properties after the husband is dead.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
FrLukas:

Go and read of the likes of Efunsetan, Moremi etc. Yorubas have many goddesses that they worship and revere like Osun, Oba, Yemoja etc.

Apart from Yoruba, there are other African culture that the female takes pride of place.

There's one in east Africa where the women are the ones that choose the men they want to marry and they are allowed to do away with the men and marry another one when they are tired of them. Etc.
The Kikuyu people of east Africa is who you're talking about.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Currentlygrown: 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
alexistaiwo:
This issue goes deeper than you people think.

The elders who made this age long tradition of exempting the Igbo female child from inheritance did so because they know that after extorting her husband of astronomical amount of money during her wedding process, the husband will be able to recoup his wedding expenses with profit if his wife inherit anything from her family since whatever she owns is by extension also his.

You think yahoo yahoo started with Internet age? cheesy

you are actually smart.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by DexterousOne(m): 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
ThatFairGuy1:
This is good. Any culture that violates the right of humanity Should be do away with.
That's why all those Oro in some part of Yorubaland Should not expect women to be indoor because of their rituals. THIS IS NOT STONE AGE

Oro will be phased out in due course too
Na small small

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings / Estako Names And Meanings / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.