Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,302 members, 7,780,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:06 PM

Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer (12913 Views)

Rashford's Emotional Apology To Man Utd Fans After Spurs Hiding / Maguire's Lack Of Apology 'shocking' But He Still Has Time 'to Say Sorry' / Neymar: Lack Of Money And Food Pushed Me To Become A Successful Footballer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by b0rn2fuck(m): 8:56am On Aug 27, 2020
This man is fast ruining it
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Codes151(m): 8:57am On Aug 27, 2020
Cyoung4real:
Apologies for what? How can someone stab my sister, instead of taking us her to the hospital, you are taking us to the station. If it was me, I will quarrel with the officers too. What nonsense undecided undecided
no mind this e-cows.

As if the dude ain’t human as well.

5 Likes

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by majamajic(m): 8:57am On Aug 27, 2020
sacajawea:
Na So English People dey

If same thing happened to someone close to u , u might act same way

His sister was drived to police station instead of hospital , meanwhile she was under emergency

2 Likes

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by hakeem4(m): 9:04am On Aug 27, 2020
with that his slab head
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Odunolumide(m): 9:07am On Aug 27, 2020
logon599:
In other words the lawyer is saying he's fully guilty. We'll wait and see.

Lawyers cannot proclaim you guilty , only a judge can.
What do you expect a prosecutor to say before, if he thinks you are innocent then why would he prosecute you in the first place?

3 Likes

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by shagarinews: 9:13am On Aug 27, 2020
Englishmen are very proud and egolistic like our igbo men.
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 27, 2020
Codes151:
Apologize for what?

Them see celebrity.
Tried to drugged his sister.

Throw jibes and shit. Like he isn’t human too?
don't just see something an comment. There were no marks on her when she was questioned. If you read well, Maguires story about the event keeps changing while that of the Greek police remains the same.
He messed up big time. That's all.

1 Like

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by potbelly(m): 9:17am On Aug 27, 2020
The guy na moofo na... angry angry
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Obdk: 9:20am On Aug 27, 2020
ogbiwa:
Harry Maguire's lack of apology following his trial in Greece is "shocking" and "unsportsmanlike", says one of the prosecution lawyers.

On Tuesday, the Manchester United captain was found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult following his arrest on the island of Mykonos last week.

He was sentenced to 21 months, 10 days in prison, suspended for three years.

Maguire, 27, has appealed the verdict.

United say the appeal means the defender's original conviction is "nullified" and a more senior court will now consider the case.

But lawyer Dr Ioannis Paradissis said there was still time "to say sorry".

England defender Maguire was arrested along with brother Joe, 28, and family friend Christopher Sharman, 29, on Thursday after an altercation with police. Both Joe Maguire and Sharman were sentenced to 13 months in prison, also suspended for three years.

All three men denied all charges.

Dr Paradissis, who represented two of the six Greek police officers involved in the case, told the Today Programme on BBC Radio 4: "The appeal process in Greece is a retrial. So obviously there is still time for the three defendants to say they are sorry and then I believe that the outcome might be different.

"It would be different because under Greek law you can withdraw some accusations - non-aggravated bodily harm and the verbal assaults that were shouted at the policeman.

"I don't know if my clients would accept that but they told me they are still waiting for an apology and they haven't heard any and this is what I find quite shocking and quite unsportsmanlike, because fair play means when I've done something wrong, I apologise."

Maguire said after Tuesday's verdict he had instructed his legal team "with immediate effect to inform the courts we will be appealing".

"I remain strong and confident regarding our innocence in this matter - if anything myself, family and friends are the victims," he added.

Leading sports lawyer Dr Gregory Ioannidis has told BBC Sport it could take up to a year before any hearing and the case will likely go to the Piraeus Court of Appeal. He added it could be delayed even further if there are requests for further adjournments.

Dr Paradissis added: "I'm representing some policemen that have been hit, they have injuries and the three defendants say they are not guilty but on the other side they don't explain how these injuries were made.

"We don't have the same definition of what a victim is then because how can you be a victim and the policeman that have been assaulted, hit, that were just doing their job, they went home with injuries - how can they not be a victim?"

Maguire's lawyer Alexis Anagnostakis - one of Greece's top human rights lawyers - told the court the events stemmed from Maguire's sister Daisy being injected with a substance by a group of Albanians and she immediately fainted.

The defendants called for transport and asked to be driven to a hospital, but were instead taken to a police station.

The prosecution said Maguire, his brother and friend then physically and verbally attacked police officers.

"Obviously that [Maguire's sister being injected] is irrelevant concerning the assault committed against the police officers," said Dr Paradissis.

"And in any case what is strange about this case about the sister is that the sister was interviewed by police and she said nothing about that to the police. This is a new line of defence that we heard recently."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53920365

The prosecutor no get sense... How do someone apologise for something he is contesting in court abi he just wan talk

1 Like

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by wfjimmytobby(m): 9:21am On Aug 27, 2020
I dey him back..kick some ass dude..no apologies
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Obdk: 9:21am On Aug 27, 2020
alexxiswrites:
don't just see something an comment. There were no marks on her when she was questioned. If you read well, Maguires story about the event keeps changing while that of the Greek police remains the same.

Maguires story abi bloggers story
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Dreyton36: 9:26am On Aug 27, 2020
That's how stars do, apologise for what exactly? Trash cops and Chelsea

1 Like

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Ykc2(m): 9:31am On Aug 27, 2020
I hate British people will all my heart ,they re too pompous ,these are the people that brought Anglican church to igbo land and yet when jihadist government of nigeria were killing biafrans during the civil war they looked the other way ,one day they will pay for their sins angry angry
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Anaerobi(m): 9:31am On Aug 27, 2020
don't blame him. that is what VAR and epl ref made him be... pride and arrogance... even when he commits foul, is been overlooked so he did same thing outside the pitch.
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by thymm: 9:33am On Aug 27, 2020
Somebody that has won an appeal and the verdict overturned until a higher court reviews the case.If anything happens to Maguire it will affect the tourism potential of Greece, and that they can't afford. This case will die naturally I am certain.

3 Likes

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Arelyn: 9:38am On Aug 27, 2020
The way Nigerians can be so reactionary to news without getting the full gist and applying same condition to themselves can be quite shocking..

You are on holiday and someone stab( injected) your sister with an unknown substance( later found out to be a date rape drug) and you try to demand justice by accosting the perpetrators, the police ( without uniform) stepped in and after revealing their identity, you requested them to take you to the hospital to treat your sister only for them to take you to the police station.

What are you going to do at these point especially with a lot of "lost or killed on holiday" movie plots these days and with a profound knowledge of the
Greek police as a corrupt bunch of guys that are notorious for lots of illegal collusion with the Albanian criminal gangs

Most of us here won't take it easy if a policeman or a road safety officer decide to seize our driver license or impound our cars for unjust reasons not to talk of a life and death situation but we are quick to type gibberish online just because we are behind the veil of the internet

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Oketwin(m): 9:43am On Aug 27, 2020
I guess if d sista died wil wud b justifying der outbust, a policeman dat cud say ur career is over means der actions were premeditated.

1 Like

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Codes151(m): 9:47am On Aug 27, 2020
alexxiswrites:
there were no marks on her... oga Nigerian police.

You won’t keep quiet and await the court verdict.
Because the old one is nullified.
Awon investigator

1 Like

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Josh75(m): 10:15am On Aug 27, 2020
How can you make an apology when you didn't commit any crime. That's absurd
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Ifybwoy7: 10:55am On Aug 27, 2020
I don't support man u but what if Greek police is lying against the guy. every one is just saying rubbish. he should apologize that his sister was drugged and taking to the police station and he was also arrested. police everywhere na the same seff

1 Like

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by bassman007(m): 11:08am On Aug 27, 2020
My own problem with the whole matter is "what was Maguire doing in Greece? Why didn't he come to Nigeria instead? undecided undecided
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by openmine(m): 11:11am On Aug 27, 2020
ipobarethieves:
sad If he say sorry and get 5 yrs nkoh
Absolutely not....the lawyer is tactically offering magire an undeserved waiver by asking them to apologise and maybe financially compensate the victims!

This might seem tough on margire considering his over bloated ego as san English man but that's the only way they can get the victims to drop the charges like the prosecution lawyer said!

At least a 50k pounds compensation and an apology is better than a 21 month sentence! smiley
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Playermayweda(m): 11:49am On Aug 27, 2020
It's also possible the police pressed False charges,And also that the media might be giving us inaccurate news, Very possible

1 Like

Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by netsurfer01(m): 11:53am On Aug 27, 2020
Lol, I need Free Giftcards abeg.
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Ingocof(m): 12:02pm On Aug 27, 2020
He only displayed what Manchester is known for: pride and arrogance
Re: Maguire's Lack Of Apology Is "Shocking" & "Unsportsmanlike"- Prosecution Lawyer by Oritsewhandey(m): 1:10pm On Aug 27, 2020
[img][/img]
UDUJ:
A thug is a thug, whether rich or not. Maguire is a thug. And as a longtime Man U fan I find his actions disturbing and disgraceful.
He deliberately barbs his hair like Hitler's.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ifeanyi Ubah To Unveil Asisat Oshoala As Ambassador For Anambra Women League / Emma Raducanu: US Open Champion 'Outstanding' - Queen Elizabeth / Hugo Broos Has Not Resigned.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.