Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,114 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 (76200 Views)

EFCC, 9 States Bicker Over N84.7bn Mismanaged From 13% Derivation Fund / We Have Seen 9 States Results Already Where Obi Couldn't Get 20% / Discrimination : The 7 Geopolitical Zone. The East Have 9 States why other less (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by Ctorch: 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2020
The Federal Government has again warned that floods may wreak havoc in many states of the federation.

It said the floods would begin from Kebbi State any time from September 6 going by an alert from the Niger Basin Authority to which Nigeria is a member.

Other states that might be severely hit are Niger, Kwara, Anambra, Delta, Edo, Rivers, Bayelsa, Nasarawa and Kogi that are contiguous to River Niger.

The agency in charge of flood prediction, the Nigeria Hydrological Services Agency (NIHSA) added that, apart from the fact that Nigeria still had many days of rainfall this year, flooding might be worse, if excess waters from the dams in other countries upstream rivers Niger and Benue are released.

It therefore, asked states and relevant government agencies to clear blocked drainages and dredge river channels as a matter of urgency since Nigeria is located downstream other countries in the Niger Basin.

HIHSA stated that poor drainage systems might cause flash and urban floods in major cities like Abuja,Lagos, Ibadan, Abeokuta, Ado-Ekiti, Osogbo, ,Asaba, Port Harcourt, Yenagoa, , Benin City, Abakaliki, Awka, Nsukka Birnin–Kebbi, Sokoto, Lokoja, Kaduna, Suleja, Gombe, Yola, Makurdi and Lafia,

The Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet) had in its 2020 Seasonal Rainfall Prediction (SRP) released recently warned of heavy flooding that would be caused by torrential rains. It said that the earliest cessation date for rainfall in the southern part of the country is December 28 and September 26 for the North.

Echoing the warning on Tuesday NiMet’s flood alert warning, NIHSA urged communities along the coastal lines to move to safe grounds because the remaining days of this month, September and October would come with heavy rains

The agency’s Director-General, Clement Onyeaso Nze, however, said in a statement that they were monitoring the flood situation along the River Benue axis

According to him , information from the regional Niger Basin Authority (NBA) headquarters in Niamey, Niger Republic, had it that last Sunday, the flood level of River Niger was 6.60 metres, an “ already Red Alert zone.”

The statement reads in part: “This current development portends some level of concern for Nigeria as there could be likelihood of river flooding in the states contiguous to River Niger.

“This flood magnitude sighted in Niamey on August 23, 2020, is expected to arrive Nigeria through Kebbi State around September 6, 2020. Operators of Kainji and Jebba Dams have long been alerted to take appropriate measures in the operation of the reservoirs.

“ Kainji Dam is now spilling water at the rate of 1,000 m3/s, i.e. 86.4 million cubic metres/day. This means that communities downstream Kainji and Jebba Dams could be flooded. The Shiroro Dam on Kaduna River is still impounding, though there is the possibility of spilling water in the weeks ahead.

“The beginning of the last week of August 2020 witnessed return of rains in most parts of the country. Expectedly, this will be accompanied by increasing saturation and wetness of the soil. Under this condition of saturated soil, it is expected that any rainfall of high intensity and long duration might translate into flooding in most parts of the country.

“It should be recalled that the year 2020 Annual Flood Outlook (2020 AFO) publication, which was presented to the public in May 2020 by the Minister of Water Resources, Engr. Suleiman Adamu, predicted that some parts of, at least, 102 LGAs in 28 states fall within the Highly Probable Flood Risk areas, while parts of 275 LGAs in the 36 states of the federation, including the FCT, fall within the Moderately Probable Flood Risk areas.

https://thenationonlineng.net/fed-govt-warns-nine-states-to-prepare-for-heavy-floods-from-sept-6/?fbclid=IwAR3afa6P-GcdZqnuIen0Ju8-RxR1DHxDwpSyYczCbMdniYcH1B3jGPei9dA

1 Like

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by Franzinni: 12:22pm On Aug 27, 2020
Flood demons are already roaring be that ... Niger thanks for telling us wusup as per we are in constant need of help ...

I was asked to go and read on the Niger basin ... Hehe as book is what we have been reading since time of lord lugard .. So I have come to fix my comment ....make the flood no reach my house he he..

Let me ask all the children of the rich that schooled abroad and returned what did they bring back in way of knowledge kwa? Nigeria is so backwards in everything that is anything ... And even when we borrow sense and spend huge money buying technology we simply misuse it ... Nah wah... Flood is impending and we have no means of preparing for it ... Than to shout " yeri e OKO!"

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by Joyover100(f): 12:22pm On Aug 27, 2020
This warning should be taken seriously

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 27, 2020
The states should be given bailout funds for this flood plus other ecological bonuses to help curtail the flood..

Let the funds be disbursed before the flood starts.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by SmartProf(m): 12:28pm On Aug 27, 2020
Other states that have not been mentioned should also take precautions cause our own forcast here may have k-leg. After this warning, I expect the states & FG to swing into quality action just as it's done in developed climes. I know some states will ask their residents to pray and fast to avert this, as if it's not the same God that created those who see natural disasters elsewhere in the world.

18 Likes

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by chiiraq802(m): 12:33pm On Aug 27, 2020
Thanks for this strong info....
Let me start keeping my AZ on my suspended book shelf, don't wanna lose my sweet blueberry.... grin

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by EyezofGod120: 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2020
As if say the government serious at all

2 Likes

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by tosine102: 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2020
Shey all them state wet dem mention no get canal ni?
Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by oluwamile(m): 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2020
.can this year get worse than it is already?
God just have mercy
People that lives in this area should take note too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by helinues: 12:37pm On Aug 27, 2020
Hope state government are already taking some measures for the aftermath...

Make you guys don't tell us to pray after the deed might have been done..

People of Louisana and Texas are already feeling the impact of Hurricane Laura with 150mph, that's category 4

5 Likes

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 27, 2020
I remember makurdi flood of 2012. Damn!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by MADRINAkay(f): 12:38pm On Aug 27, 2020
ok
Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by davosea(m): 12:38pm On Aug 27, 2020
This year full of drama may God save us

2 Likes

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by olasaad(f): 12:39pm On Aug 27, 2020
Joyover100:
This warning should be taken seriously

No they won't take it serious
Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by Lanre4uonly(m): 12:39pm On Aug 27, 2020
It is well.
Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by Nelly4you: 12:39pm On Aug 27, 2020
this flood of a thing sef
DM for your logo and flyer Design
Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by rawtouch: 12:39pm On Aug 27, 2020
what a wawu, and this message is coming less than a week to the beginning of september, this is a case of at least we warned you people
Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by brosom(m): 12:39pm On Aug 27, 2020
I'm not adding this 2020 to my age because I didn't make use of it.

7 Likes

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 27, 2020
Rain scarce

Over a month, no serious rain here

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by handsomeyinka(m): 12:40pm On Aug 27, 2020
Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by Moscodee1990(m): 12:40pm On Aug 27, 2020
Water no get enemy Na.

1 Like

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by techmo(m): 12:40pm On Aug 27, 2020
Food scarcity loading

1 Like

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by SILVERLINES: 12:40pm On Aug 27, 2020
cheesy
Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by paulolee(m): 12:41pm On Aug 27, 2020
na to find canoe and charge my power bank keep and ready for the flood o..

1 Like

Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by ForeThinker: 12:43pm On Aug 27, 2020
To be forewarned is to be forearmed
Re: Flooding: FG Warns 9 States To Prepare For Heavy Floods From September 6 by Jasseyfrd(m): 12:43pm On Aug 27, 2020
I am tire of bads news

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

South Africans React To Nigeria's Election Outcome (TWEETS) / Akpabio Names Senators, Reps Who Got Contracts / Governor Akeredolu And Ayodele Adigun In 1976 Vs 2020 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.