Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,991 members, 7,806,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians (1600 Views)

Aisha Yesufu: A Misguided Bigot, Deceiver And Opportunist - Solomon Semanka / Mazi Uche Mefor Blast Nnamdi Kanu, Calls Him A Deceiver And A Liar / N5m Hate Speech Fine: We've Discovered Alternative To Oil Revenue - Shehu Sani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by samdunzo: 4:54pm On Aug 30, 2020
OP, while I agree, I honestly think that the root of Nigeria’s issues lies in the system of government it uses. It encourages both laziness and corruption. I would restructure Nigeria to six regions, each with its own constitution and control of resources. Each region would keep 70% of its resources, and remit 30% back to the center. This structure would encourage accountability and competition. This in turn would benefit Nigeria as a whole.
Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by samdunzo: 4:56pm On Aug 30, 2020
Tianamen1:
Rossinky,

I totally agree with you with regards to Nigeria being poorer than it is perceived to be. However, INDUSTRIALIZATION rather than Economic Diversification is our main issue. The difference between the two may seem little but the prescribed solutions for each differ significantly.

The oil and gas industry represents less than 10 percent of Nigeria's GDP. what is not diversified is government's revenues as Nigeria has one of the lowest Tax to GDP ratios on Earth.

Nigeria also has the paradox of having the richest black people on earth at the same time having the highest number of people living in extreme poverty on Earth.

SLS once made a comment that 90 percent of the funds in banks are owned by only 10 percent of Nigerian citizens.

INCREASING THE GOVERNMENT'S REVENUE

When we hear the word taxation, we all think about taxing businesses and we know that this is counter productive.

Other resource rich nations such as Norway, UAE, and states in The US such as Alaska and Texas, have low business taxes and little to no income taxes.
Income generation is mainly from property taxes, vehicle taxes, estate taxes and sales taxes. This is necessary because resource rich societies usually have high levels of inequality. Our leaders/looters would never agree to this as the burden of taxes would fall squarely on them, the 10 percent that control the 90 percent of bank deposits.

THE PATH TO INDUSTRIALIZATION.

You rightly noted that our infrastructural deficit is not responsible for our poverty. You also rightly noted that foreigners are excelling in businesses in Nigeria. You gave an excellent example of a Nigerian, Innoson, who is making all of us proud with his accomplishments.

- The Secret Sauce

1. Quality basic education: a child of a carpenter who attends a good school with children of bankers and lawyers is more likely to start an IKEA or a Home Depot than an accountants child. In The US, immigrants contribute vastly to increased productivity, not because they are necessarily smarter or naturally harder working, but for the fact that they have so little and their mates have so much more so they hustle harder.

Most countries realize that quality basic public education accomplishes two important goals towards industrialization
- increased competition
- reduced birth rate.

2. Quality health care.

Health is wealth so a healthy nation is a wealthy one as people will waste fewer resources on their personal health so they will have more time to focus on productive ventures.

These two factors of Industrialization are also the core components that make up the Human Development Index. Our leaders know these things but are not interested.

Sorry for any typos.

Don’t forget security bros. Without security, no investor will feel like coming to invest or sell products

2 Likes

Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by Rossinky: 9:44pm On Aug 30, 2020
samdunzo:
OP, while I agree, I honestly think that the root of Nigeria’s issues lies in the system of government it uses. It encourages both laziness and corruption. I would restructure Nigeria to six regions, each with its own constitution and control of resources. Each region would keep 70% of its resources, and remit 30% back to the center. This structure would encourage accountability and competition. This in turn would benefit Nigeria as a whole.

Thanks bro.

Very impressed by contributions to the thread. Some highly insightful analyses all round. Well done guys. smiley

1 Like

Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by samdunzo: 9:46pm On Aug 30, 2020
Rossinky:

Thanks bro.

Very impressed by contributions to the thread. Some highly insightful analyses all round. Well done guys. smiley

Np bro. Just desire to see a better naija in my lifetime bro.
Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by Minsk24: 5:11am On Aug 31, 2020
kikero:

I think you missed my point.

The main reason why corruption thrives in Nigeria ultimately is that it does not threaten the earning power of the elite.

In industrial societies like China, they cannot afford corruption , because corruption threatens the earning power of the elite. If light, water and transport are not working the earning power of the elite would be reduced drastically

In resource dependent countries like Nigeria, the money flows not from what me manufacture, but what raw materials we sell. Since the earning power of the elite is dependent on how much of the sharing they can.corner, not on what they actually produce,.and since their earning does not depend on whether there is light or water flowing properly, corruption thrives.

Also, the economy in China is run as a profitable economy. No price controls, no sharing of the money. Nigeria does different. In this country we expect that we.sell.raw.materials and share the money for our enjoyment. Instead of doing what China is doing....accepting that our resources are.limited and maximising them via industries and science.

That's why I believe that when we vote out APC come 2023,.nothing would change. Unless this.country becomes a industrial country....which means hard decisions like taxes going up, allowing discos and gencos set their price for power so that they can attract the funds.needed to build our power investment,.allowing deregulation of the downstream sector...and so on.....unless we really change, corruption is not going away.

You are an Amazon of wisdom my boss....
What u said is very true
Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by Minsk24: 5:13am On Aug 31, 2020
samdunzo:

Too much sauce in this thread walahi...
Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by Perfectbeing(m): 8:57am On Aug 31, 2020
Rossinky:

No we wouldn't!!!!!!!!

That 600 billion dollars is PEANUTS.

UNLESS you are earning that EVERY YEAR.

THEN you can talk about ''competing with the west''.

Did you read their annual budgets of some western nations that I posted?

That 600 billion dollars is less than 10% of the USA's annual budget.

So how will you compete with the west with that?

You people need to stop seeing small money as BIG money.

That is why we spend so much time fighting over the small oil money, because we think it's HUGE, and that access to it is all that matters.

But read our annual budget in comparison to those other nations as posted above.

That tells you EVERYTHING.

600 billion dollars peanuts? How much does it cost to build a refinery? How much does it cost to build turbines? How much does it cost to build world class hospitals? How much does it cost to build a steel industry? How much does it cost to build industries? How much does it cost to construct durable roads, bridges and railways? If 600 billion dollars is too small for all these, then how much is enough? If 600 billion dollars is too small for infrastructure, the even 5 trillion dollars will be too small..
Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by Perfectbeing(m): 9:11am On Aug 31, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
Most Nigerians do not pay tax and Nigeria loses $20 billion dollars annually on tax evasions. Nigerians have no right to complain until they pay their taxes. You don't need the tallest skyscrapers to build an organized society.
https://www.nairaland.com/6086091/lack-id-database-hinders-efficient

Coastal cities like Calabar , Onitsha and the rest should have boardwalks , parks, and jetties ,piers and other basic public amenities & social programs . Taxation is subpar or non existent . Even so,The Local governments receive free allocations to do this things yet embezzle the funds.
I might be wrong but don't you think it would be better to build some of these things first then tax or bill the people for them later? At least then people would not have an excuse not to pay. People would be less unwilling to pay for what they enjoy. Imagine government telling people that they should pay for toll gates before building the road or bridge..
In my opinion, I think the government should build the things first before taxing or billing us.
Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by DMerciful(m): 9:24am On Aug 31, 2020
The truth is that without restructuring, we can never achieve the strides we achieved during the regional governments of the 50-60s

1 Like

Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by proeast(m): 9:41am On Aug 31, 2020
Rossinky:
Most Nigerians think they would be living like people in Germany, USA, Dubai, UK etc... IF ONLY our leaders did not steal and 'loot' so much of the oil and gas revenues the country earns.

THAT IS THE BIGGEST DECEIT IN THE HISTORY OF THIS COUNTRY.

Nigeria does NOT make a lot of money from oil and gas commensurate to its huge population of 200 million.

The money is actually a pittance.

Nigeria's annual budget is 35 billion dollars.

Contrast that with South Africa's annual budget of 125 billion dollars.

Or the UK, 1.2 trillion dollars.

Or France, 1.7 trillion dollars.

Or Germany, 2.2 trillion dollars.

Or the USA, 7.6 trillion dollars.

NIGERIA NEEDS TO DIVERSIFY FROM OIL AND GAS TO EARN MORE AS A COUNTRY.

THAT is our Number 1 issue as a country.

Not corruption.

Not mismanagement.

Not tribalism or nepotism.

Not Boko Haram.

Not Fulani herdsmen.

Not IPOB.

But ECONOMIC DIVERSIFICATION.

Even with ZERO corruption, the money we earn today is grossly insufficient to develop the whole country and get everything working to perfection.

If you ask me, we're even doing quite well considering how little we actually earn.

Thank goodness the govt recognises the situation, and is doing well in diversification efforts through supporting manufacturing and agriculture especially.

Nigerian youths: Word of advice: Put your talents to use, and help in the nation's DIVERSIFICATION EFFORTS.

Start a business. Learn a skill. Go into manufacturing. Or agric processing. Or the services. You can start small scale and grow.

ADD YOUR QUOTA TO OUR DIVERSIFICATION DRIVE.

That is the ONLY way forward.

Alternatively, you can sit around perennially disgruntled and angry that the ''massive oil revenues'' of your IMAGINATION have not materialized before you, or led to a 1st world existence.

I SALUTE.

Since you know that oil revenue is actually peanuts and not enough for Nigeria to survive on, then why not support resource control so that others will be forced to seek alternatives in agriculture, solid minerals, tourism, industry or services??

I agree with you, so let's push for resource control and stop all these laziness and parasitism that has made us the poverty capital of the world.
Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by hargbolahan01: 9:57am On Aug 31, 2020
Perfectbeing:
600 billion dollars peanuts? How much does it cost to build a refinery? How much does it cost to build turbines? How much does it cost to build world class hospitals? How much does it cost to build a steel industry? How much does it cost to build industries? How much does it cost to construct durable roads, bridges and railways? If 600 billion dollars is too small for all these, then how much is enough? If 600 billion dollars is too small for infrastructure, the even 5 trillion dollars will be too small..
don't mind him...if we have had $500b in investment in the country for over ten years...we would have been a trillion dollars economy not to talk of $600b.... but a the so called patriotic Nigeria supports corruption and always blame the people for everything

one of the reasons why I don't reply him anymore because I believe he is the agent of one of the looters

1 Like

Re: Oil Revenue - The Great Deceiver Of Nigerians by demanuel(m): 4:00pm On Aug 31, 2020
Rossinky:

Thanks bro.

Okay now that we have established the fact that diversifying is the way to go;

what will you advise the average guy in the street out there to do?

Where should he start from?

What should the guy out there hustling, that's just starting out life to do since there's seemingly no encouragement from the part of the government to assist him, or is even interested in diversifying ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Tinubu Behaved Like A Bastard For "Disrespecting" Ooni Of Ife" / Nnamdi Kanu Leave Anambra State Alone. / How Teenage Boy Led Policemen To Imo Hotel Where ESN Members Planned Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.