Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,149 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

Honey Eyes - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Honey Eyes (977 Views)

Sweeter Than Honey (18+) / Honey Moon / Before Her Very Eyes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honey Eyes by Saintsami(m): 11:41am On Aug 30, 2020
This story is written by Jeiel Damina

Re: Honey Eyes by Saintsami(m): 11:47am On Aug 30, 2020
This is the writer Jeiel Damina popular know as "Olive" are you guys interested?

Re: Honey Eyes by Saintsami(m): 11:51am On Aug 30, 2020
LET THE STORY BEGIN.
MAIN CHARACTERS.
The Horton Family:
Danielle Horton: Quiet and reserved around strangers, but sweet and considerate with her loved ones, Danielle is a Black American, seventeen-year-old teenager. She lost her dad at a young age and due to the grief, gave up her one and only passion, dancing. She has a loving relationship with her big brother, Thomas, and her mother, but learnt to open her heart to new friends Walter and Casey.
Iconic words: "Am I being dramatic? Yes. Do I care? No.
Thomas Horton: Laid back, easy-going and soft-hearted, Thomas is the perfect big brother that everyone wants. He loves his sister to death and would do anything for her and his mother. After losing his father, Thomas' grief made him stronger but seeing his sister struggling to heal breaks his heart. With the help of Walter and Casey, he hopes that they'll be able to help Elle heal and move on.
Iconic statement: "I'm the #1 man in her life, who the hell are you?"
Mrs Elizabeth Horton: Single American mother, Elizabeth lost her husband years ago, but she stayed strong for her two children who she loves more than herself. She's more like a best friend to her children than a mother, but she's learnt when her children need her to be a mother and when to be a friend to them. Confident that she's raised amazing independent kids, she gives them all the freedom they need, knowing that they'll make the right choices, but she loves the fact that they still come to her for help or advice.
Iconic statement: "I didn't raise a pushover, now go out there and kick that mannerless child out of our house."
The Jamesons:
Walter Jameson: Caring, funny, smart, soft-hearted, and an only child, Walter has grown into a responsible young man. He's back from boarding school and he's infiltrated Elle's life with his charm, confidence and spell-binding eyes. When he sees through the high walls around Elle's heart, he can't help but be drawn to her confident, loving, passionate and beautiful soul. Having lost his dad, Walter's relationship with his mother is stronger than ever and he loves that she's able to depend on him whenever she needs him. With a passionate heart and protective spirit, Walter is willing to fight for and protect those he loves no matter what.
Iconic statement: "You should never feel self-conscious around me, Dani."
Mrs Sarah Jameson: Calm, sweet and trusting, Sarah handles her son Walter on a loose leash. She believes in independence and trusting her son to make the right choices which is one of the reasons she's such good friends with Mrs Horton. Losing her husband took a toll on her and her son, but she's incredibly proud of Walter for staying strong. In fact, she draws her strength from him from time to time. She's proud of the young man Walter has become and is glad that he has such amazing friends to spend time with.
Iconic statement: "Sometimes doing the right thing isn't the easiest path, but when you think less of yourself, it becomes easier."
SUPPORTING CHARACTERS.
Casey White: Vibrant, warm, honest, humorous and sassy, Casey isn't afraid to speak her mind or show how she feels. Despite losing both parents when she was younger, Casey didn't let that bring her down. She stayed positive and counted her blessings. Best friends with Walter, Casey feels an immediate bond with Elle who also can't help but feel attached to her. She's always there for her friends, whether they need advice, comfort or a tough love speech. Just as protective and stubborn as Walter, Casey loves fiercely and always wants to help, but knows that sometimes, a person needs to walk the path of emotional healing without any help.
Kate Miller: A classic bratty, rich girl with parents who are never around, Kate is spoilt to the max. She throws tantrums when she doesn't get her way, is clingy to Walter and Brian who managed to accept her for who she is, but can't seem to get along with Casey who obviously doesn't like her. Upon Elle's arrival, Kate feels that she's being replaced as the second girl in the group, but her jealousy makes her hostile towards Elle and overly clingy to Walter which annoys Casey more than ever. Even though Elle might suspect that there's more to Kate, Kate is adamant on hating Elle and sticking to Walter like glue. (Talk about insecurity issues.)
Brian Wilson: Brian Wilson. Jock, sometimes flirt, mostly quiet, secret jerk and sexist egomaniac. Brian is seemingly the most reserved of all the friends, but he's a perfect example of never judge a book by its cover or first few pages. He loves attention and secretly has a crush on Casey... more like an obsession, but everyone is oblivious to the nasty side of him. Brian has stuck with the group through thick and thin, but that's only because of Casey who couldn't see him as anything other than a brother. Think of him as a modern-day Gaston.
Without further ado, let's FINALLY dive right into 'Honey Eyes'.
Re: Honey Eyes by Saintsami(m): 11:57am On Aug 30, 2020
Chapter 1:
HAUNTED BY THE BOY IN THE FENCE
by jeieldamina
Two days into the state-wide lockdown and I was bored out of my mind. I was lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling when the grand clock from the living room chimed nine times, echoing through the house. Only nine a.m. and I was ready for the next day to arrive. Feeling frustrated, I stood up with energy I had no idea I had and pulled on some clothes. I rushed downstairs, out the back door and into our backyard. A deep breath and,
"Ahhhhhhhhh!" I screamed letting out all my pent-up frustration. I sat on the ground, my arms crossed and my brows furrowed. "Stupid virus. Stupid lockdown. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid." I fell onto my back, my breath shallow, squinting at the bright sky.
"You okay?" I heard a voice ask. I sat up, my head flipping from side to side as my eyes scanned the yard. I frowned when I didn't find the source of the voice. "Over here." The voice said again. I kept searching, squinting a little to ease the strain on my eyes. "At the corner of the fence." My eyes quickly found the hole in the fence, large enough for me to the spot the honey eyed boy that was staring back at me, a smirk on his face.
Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked around to make sure no one would see me and then I crawled towards the hole in the fence and the boy whose eyes seemed to draw me in. A few feet away, I lay on my belly, cautious and alert.
"Who are you? And do you always peep into people's homes like this?" I asked not sounding as harsh as I'd wanted to. My tone of voice did nothing to mute the smile on the boy's face. Instead, the smirk grew into a full-blown smile.
"Name's Walter. What's yours?" he asked. I watched him for a few seconds, my eyes returning to his entrancing eyes every now and then.
"Who are you? And why are you in the Jamesons house? I've never seen you before? Did you sneak in? Are you a thief?" I joked, fully aware of the possibility that he could be dangerous, but I was feeling more curiosity than panic.
"I'm not a thief. I'm just someone." He replied vaguely. Feeling slightly annoyed, I rolled my eyes.
"Yeah, right. That's helpful." I said sarcastically. Walter laughed, and it was like a cup of tea in a pair of freezing hands; warm and a delight, but I chose to ignore that and focus on the fact that despite his music-to-the-ears voice, he was still a stranger. A stranger who had secrets. "Why won't you tell me who you are? Are you wanted by the law or something? You seem too young, but looks can be deceiving. Did you run away from home?" I questioned.
He laughed again and I frowned wondering if I had said something amusing. The heat of the sun seemed to focus all its heat on my back, so I shifted closer to the shade the fence provided though it did little to relieve the heat.
"I'll tell you who I am if you tell me your name," Walter said breaking the silence. I thought about his proposition for a few seconds and decided to comply with his ridiculous demands. Was I overreacting? Maybe. Did I care? Nope.
"Fine, but this is ridiculous," I said. "I'm Daniella," I told him, stretching my hand out for him to shake. Why? I had no idea. Did I care to know why? Nope.
Walter stared at my hand obviously not expecting a handshake, but I felt relieved when his bigger hand took mine in his, wiggling it a little. At least he wasn't rude. His hands were so soft... like butter. Why were my thoughts all over the place? Focus Daniella. I gave myself a little internal shaking and then cleared my throat.
"Nice to meet you, Danielle." I sighed, leaning on the fence.
"Yeah," I replied not caring in the least that I was the one being rude. It was hot, I was sweaty and immensely bored. "You still haven't told me who you are." I reminded Walter, glancing at him. The grin on his face came back and I couldn't help but wonder how he kept his teeth so white. Maybe they were implants.
"You'll soon find out." He said. I groaned in frustration.
"You tricked me," I said with a pout. Was I being childish? Yes. Did I care? Nope. Walter chuckled, clearly amused by my annoyance.
"Don't worry. We'll meet again, Dani." I scowled at him.
"Only my friends call me Dani." I scolded him. The stupid grin on his face widened.
"I know. Until we meet again. Bye Dani." With a wink, he closed the loose fence and disappeared. I scoffed, confused and annoyed. He knows? What does that mean? Is he a stalker? Until we meet again? Who does he think he is? This isn't a period film. Infuriating, honey eyed twerp. I hissed, standing to my feet and dusting off my shorts.
I glanced at our pool, the water calling to me and even though I knew the water would be warm at best, I couldn't help but run towards it, jumping in like my life depended on it with my clothes and everything.
"Warm," I muttered still feeling disappointed. I swam around a little, feeling a bit better as the sound of the water swishing calmed me.
"Elle? Elle, honey where are you?" My mother called out. I swam to the steps of the pool and began to climb out when she stepped out into the backyard.
"Hi, mom," I answered her, water dripping from my hair onto my face. I wiped my eyes and sat on the pool steps, not bothering to come out. The sun beat my skin heavily and I could feel my skin heat up. Did I know I was going to burn? Yep. Did I care? Nope.
"Are you okay? Why'd you get in the pool with your clothes?" She asked looking confused. I simply pointed at the sun and she quickly understood. She smiled shaking her head. "I'll make you freshly squeezed cold orange juice. Come inside when you're done." I perked up at the news and a smile filled my face.
"Thanks mom," I said, the joy evident in my voice and on my face.
"Welcome honey. And put on sunscreen or you'll burn." She said. I nodded, rushing to the small cupboard by the pool shed, pulling out the sunscreen and rubbing it on every part of my bare body that the sun could touch. My eyes flickered to my old dance hall at the other side of the backyard and dark memories I'd been pushing down for the past years threatened to resurface.
Taking a deep breath, I dove back into the pool, letting myself sink to the bottom where the water was coolest. I let my mind wander as I closed my eyes, trying to distract myself from the dark path my mind was about to go down. Suddenly, a pair of honey-golden eyes flashed in my mind and I frowned. Why am I thinking about Walter? I wondered.
Shaking my head gently, I calmed my mind and let it wander again, but the same pair of glowing eyes filled my mind. His brown, sun-kissed chocolate skin, thick brows and long lashes. Black curly hair that looked soft, a pair of shallow dimples and lips that reminded me of the ripest strawberries.
At that thought, I panicked, my oxygen seeming to turn into carbon-dioxide in my lungs. Pushing my way up, I gasped for air as I hit the surface. In frustration, I screamed again till my voice cracked.
"Elle. Are you okay?" My mother called out. I sighed swimming to the pool steps.
"I'm fine mom," I replied. Suddenly, feeling tired, I grabbed a towel from the cupboard and wrapped myself in it, strolling back into the house, my mind confused and foggy. My eyes itching to look at the dance hall, I quickly walked into my house.
The cold air that greeted me at the door dried me quickly as I dragged my feet to the kitchen where a tall glass of orange juice awaited me, but my mother wasn't there. Just then, I heard a door close upstairs and I smiled. Sipping the juice, I chewed on the orange flesh, the ghost of a smile playing on my lips. After emptying the cup, I walked upstairs with a sense of purpose.
A few hours later, a knock sounded on my door, pulling me from my relaxed nap. I groggily wiped my eyes and sat up on my bed.
"Yeah?" I answered. My door creaked open and my big brother, Thomas, stuck his head into my room. I smiled at him, waving slowly.
"Hey." He said with a smile, walking in and closing the door behind him. I hugged him as he sat by me on the bed.
"Hi." I buried my face in his chest, inhaling his scent. His chest rumbled with laughter.
"Did you just smell me?" He asked in amusement. I smiled into his sweater, humming my acknowledgement. Thomas ran his hand through my hair, his warmth, seeping into me. "Are you okay?" He asked. I looked up at him and couldn't help but smile. He looked just like my dad. Strong cheekbones leading to full lips, black as night eyes framed by thick lashes, chocolate skin and thick brows with a full head of black hair, untamed, curly and long unlike Walter's short, soft locks. Wait... why am I comparing my brother to Walter? Why am I even thinking about him? Thomas ran his hand across my cheek, pulling me from my mind.
"Are you okay there, Elle? You spaced out." He said concerned. I gave him a closed-lip smile, licking my lips in the process. His eyes met mine and a few seconds of silence passed before he nodded, accepting that I was okay. "Okay. I came to let you know that mom invited Mrs Jameson and her son over for dinner. He just got back from school cause of the lockdown, so we're celebrating... sort of. If it's even a thing to celebrate." He said, laughing a little. I smiled at him nodding.
"Okay, thanks. I'll dress up a little." Thomas nodded, caressing my hair.
"How are you dealing with the lockdown? Are you okay?" he asked. I sighed, not knowing how to answer. He laughed a little. "No need to answer; that sigh says more than enough. You sounded like an old woman who's experienced everything in life and is ready to die." I giggled, hitting his arm playfully. He chuckled, hugging me tighter.
"Get dressed. I'm gonna do the same." He said, gently pushing me off him and standing to his feet. I swung my feet off the bed, sitting on the edge and watched him leave my room.
"See you soon," I said as he walked out. Letting out a sigh that should only come from old women who have suffered, I walked into my bathroom, deciding that I might as well freshen up.
Minutes later and I was combing my hair in front of my mirror, towel wrapped around me and the faint scent of my body spray in the air. I hummed a tune to myself, watching how my bronze hair fell in curly waves around me, short and soft. I ran my hands through it, glad that it turned out the way I'd wanted. I dramatically pulled open my wardrobe, scanning it for something simple, but nice. Don't want to look like I'm dressed to be offered to The Jameson's boy as a potential bride.
I laughed to myself at my little joke and then my mind trailed to Jameson's boy. I'd never met or even seen a picture of him before. I wonder what he's like.
For some reason, a picture of a smirking Walter flashed in my mind and I froze. I've got to stop thinking about that honey-eyed weirdo, so brain, I command you to delete all pictures and memories I have with Walter. As few as they may be, they seemed to have some weird effect on me. I shook it off, my brain suddenly feeling lighter.
"Much better," I whispered, letting out a breath. I pulled a light blue shirt over my head and wore black knee-length shorts. Looking in the mirror, my blue top made the blue in my eyes pop and I smiled at that.
Clasping a necklace around my neck, I hooked my pin earrings and sprayed perfume. "I am ready to be presented," I announced dramatically. Was I weird? Yes. Did I care? Nope. I wore my slippers and sauntered out of my room and down the stairs into the kitchen.
"You look pretty, Elle." My mother said, with a smile. She was already dressed in a nice green dress with cream shoes; like a princess. I gave her a hug, and she kissed my head.
"You look beautiful, mom," I said, squeezing her tighter.
"Thanks, honey. Help me set the table please, and call your brother down. They'll be here soon." I rushed to the dining, placing plates, cutlery, napkins and other necessities. Done in record time if I do say so myself, I rushed to the bottomed of the stairs and shouted,
"Thomas get your Behind down here. They'll be here soon." I waited for a second and then the reply came,
"I'm ready." He shouted, his door closing behind him. I walked back to the kitchen, helping my mom carry the dishes of food. Thomas joined us in the kitchen, a cream shirt against him brown skin; a chocolate angel.
"You're so pretty." I cooed, rushing to him and grabbing his cheeks which was an achievement, him being six inches taller than me at a staggering 6"3. He grabbed my hands and squeezed slightly.
"Let go." He said, but I squished his lips just in time for him to look like a bloated fish, jumbling up his words. My mother laughed as she watched us play. Interrupting our fun, the doorbell rang and we immediately sobered. Thomas and I went to open the door whilst my mother waited in the dining room. We ended up racing each other, giggling and snivelling as we bumped into ourselves and the walls in the narrow corridor.
Screeching to a halt right in front of the main door, we calmed ourselves and our breathing. With one glance at each other, we plastered small smiles on our faces, Thomas pulled the door open and he said,
"Good evening Mrs Jameson. Come in." He gestured for the elderly woman to come in. As she stepped into the narrow corridor, another body followed her. A hulking figure, almost as tall as Thomas if not close.
"Thomas, Daniella, how are you?" She asked with a bright smile. I tried to peak over her shoulder to get a look at the person who seemed to be her son's face while answering her social greeting. As if just remembering she'd come with someone, Mrs Jameson, shifted a bit to the side revealing a dark-haired figure who was hanging his jacket.
"Oh yes, kids, this is my son..." She waited for him to place his jacket. As he turned around, Mrs Jameson spoke his name, a name that sent chills through my bones. "Walter. Walter, these are the Horton kids, Thomas and Daniella." At this point, Mrs Jameson's voice had faded out.
Hell had frozen over and I had forgotten how to breathe as I stared into honey-gold eyes that I'd chosen to forget with little success. The eyes that bothered me for some reason I do not know, but at the same time, piqued my interest. The entrancing eyes that held a sparkle, glinting with mischief.
Walter smirked at me, our gazes locked as time passed. It's like he could see just how shocked I was. I wanted to disappear. I wanted to be swallowed by the ground or have a meteorite fall on me, but no, I was alive and well, staring right at the face of the boy who'd I'd naively, ignorantly, accused of being a thief, wanted criminal and a stalking creepy weirdo when he was just chilling in his backyard. Somebody, please kill me because just then, Walter's smile grew wider and he said,
"Hey, Dani. Good to see you again." That same voice tinkling in my ear, but it didn't sound like warm tea in winter. Right now, because of my embarrassment, his voice sounded like longs nails dragging against a chalkboard. I felt my heart explode and my brain fell apart. I stood there frozen. Speechless. Why? I don't know. Was I being dramatic? Yes. Did I care why? Nope. Was I going to survive tonight? Hell, to the no.

To be continue!

(1) (Reply)

Lip Service / Mischief In A Mad House / Jamb Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.