Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,964 members, 7,803,196 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) (2340 Views)

Poll: Should gay Nikahs be permitted ?

Yes: 5% (1 vote)
No: 82% (14 votes)
Maybe: 11% (2 votes)
I don't know: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

What Is Jihad Al-nikah / Nikah! Nikah! Nikah! / Nikah: Husband's Obligations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by hymen(f): 7:28pm On Feb 20, 2011
What are your thoughts on this guys.

No insults please,respond theologically

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12486003

20 February 2011 Last updated at 07:38 GMT
[center]British gay Muslims seek Islamic weddings

By Adrian Goldberg
Presenter, 5 live Investigates
[/center] 

Like many gay people, British gay Muslims are pursuing marriage

British gay Muslims are joining the global fight for equality and seeking gay Islamic marriage. The BBC's 5 live Investigates speaks to one couple about their 'nikah' - a Muslim matrimonial contract - and asks how they balance their sexuality with the Islamic faith.

"We met about three years ago, at an iftar - a breaking of fast during Ramadan.

"I think a lot of Muslims find that time of year very spiritual and very enlightening, and so I think that's why our relationship developed, because we spoke about our faith."

"Eventually we went on a date."

Asra recalls the first time she met her partner, Sarah, three years ago. The gay couple, who are also Muslim, are one of a growing number of gay, British Muslims who have cemented their relationship with marriage - Islamic marriage.

Asra fondly remembers the moment Sarah proposed to her.

"After the first date, which was about an hour, Sarah casually asked me to marry her."

Sarah interjects.

"I think it was more like four hours, after dinner, coffee and walking. I didn't really plan it, but it just really seemed like the way it was between us, I should try and keep it as pure as possible.

"That may sound strange being lesbians, but it felt like we should do it the most honourable way we could."

The Muslim way

Asra and Sarah decided upon a 'nikah' - a Muslim matrimonial contract. Whilst nikahs have traditionally been the reserve of heterosexual Muslims, Asra and Sarah were aware that other gay Muslims had followed this route and the couple decided to investigate further.

Continue reading the main story “Start QuoteIt's still very difficult for me to tell my family about my life being a lesbian. They know I am a believer, they know I am religious, but going as far as saying I am a lesbian is quite hard”
End Quote Asra, gay Muslim
"A few friends said you don't really have to have an official Imam, but you need someone who is knowledgeable enough about the Qur'an to do it. Fortunately, one of our friends was, and she offered to do it. She's a lesbian herself, and she said we could do it in her home."

Three months after the proposal, the big day came. Asra wore a white shalwar kameez - a traditional Pakistani outfit - and Sarah a pink dress.

"I wanted to wear leather, but Asra wouldn't let me," she sighs.

"We got rings from Camden market, and we drew up contracts - we got a blueprint off the internet of a heterosexual contract and we both looked at it separately, to see if there were things we wanted to change."

"I remember I put about the dog - that if we broke up, Asra wouldn't steal the dog."

Asra rolls her eyes and adds "we also did a dowry, of £5. It was a symbolic thing and we've still got those £5 notes."

In attendance were six friends, who also acted as witnesses - "and a cat," says Sarah.

The short ceremony was conducted in Arabic, and additional duas - prayers - were read and the marriage was essentially no different from the nikahs performed for straight Muslim couples all over the world.

There is growing visibility of gay Muslims in Britain, although not all are confident about coming out
But the Islamic faith vehemently rejects homosexuality, and the fact this nikah was for a gay couple is highly offensive to the majority of Muslims - including Asra's own parents.

"It's still very difficult for me to tell my family about my life being a lesbian. They know I am a believer, they know I am religious, but going as far as saying I am a lesbian is quite hard," Asra says.

"I remember thinking this is the only time I am going to get married, and my family weren't there.

"That was constantly going through my mind - I am having an Islamic nikah, doing as much as I can through my faith, but my family weren't there."

However, Sarah's relationship with her family is quite different.

"Because I wasn't born a Muslim - I converted five years ago - I think my family is quite accepting of my sexuality. But sometimes it seems like they are waiting for me to grow out of being a Muslim."

Gay Muslim voices

Sarah and Asra know their marriage is unorthodox, and the idea of a gay nikah would be rejected by the majority of Muslim scholars, but Sarah says it is nobody's business.

Continue reading the main story “Start Quote By not allowing same-sex couples to wed, there is a direct attack on the Qur'an's message that each person has a mate who is their 'comfort and their cloak'”
End Quote Imam Daayiee Abdullah
"It is between me and God, and when we got married it was not ideal, but we were doing our best."

However, there is a small but growing voice within the Muslim community representing gay people, with the emergence of British gay Muslim support groups such as Imaan and Safra Project.

One of the key advocates of Muslim gay marriage is the American Imam, Daayiee Abdullah - who himself is gay. He has performed a number of gay nikahs in America and has also advised gay British Muslim couples on how to perform the ceremony.

He reasons that to deny gay Muslim couples the right to a religious union, goes against teachings in the Koran.

Speaking to 5 live Investigates, he says: "Since Islamic legal precedence does not allow same sexes to wed, Muslim societies make it a legal impossibility within Islam [but] by not allowing same-sex couples to wed, there is a direct attack on the Koran's message that each person has a mate who is their 'comfort and their cloak'."

It is not just within the Muslim community that gay Muslim couples such as Sarah and Asra have encountered hostility.

"I feel there's Islamaphobia within the gay community. It's something that really worries me," says Sarah.

Continue reading the main story LISTEN TO THE FULL REPORTYou can hear the full 5 live Investigates report at 2100 GMT on Sunday, 20 February on BBC 5 live
Download the 5 live Investigates podcastPost comments on our Facebook pageTweet the 5 live Investigates team
Asra recalls a particularly unsavoury incident.

"There was an occasion at gay pride once where one of the marchers turned around and quite crudely said 'we didn't know pride was allowing suicide bombers on the march' - it was really shocking to hear it from a fellow gay marcher."

But according to Sarah, it's not just Muslims who are rejected by the gay community.

"I think there's a deep-rooted assumption in the secular queer community that you can't be gay and believe in anything, apart from yourself or materialism."

Acceptance
However, gay unions are being integrated into wider British society even more - and the government recently announced plans to allow churches in England and Wales to host civil partnership ceremonies.

Ministers have pledged greater equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, but said no religious group would be forced to host the ceremonies.

The Church of England has said it will not do so. Quakers have welcomed the plans, with support also expected from Unitarians and Liberal Jews. But what about the Muslim community?

"Homosexuality is not considered a halal way of living at the moment, so of course there's going to be an extreme reaction to a gay nikah. So, as a community we have to get tolerance before we can even attempt acceptance of marriage," says Asra.

But she is hopeful for the future.

"I certainly know younger gay Muslims that are out to their families and their families are absolutely fine with it.

"Same-sex nikahs are still a contentious issue, but all I can say is I have done it, and I am completely comfortable and content with my faith and hopefully people will think 'well, let me try and get to that place'.

You can hear the full report on 5 live Investigates on Sunday, 20 February at 2100 GMT on BBC Radio 5 live.

l

There's also support for LGBT muslim community

http://www.imaan.org.uk/

http://www.safraproject.org/
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by tbaba1234: 7:56pm On Feb 20, 2011
Homosexuality in islam is a sin, as much as it is in all of the abrahamic faiths.

but we live in strange times, don't we??
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by congoshine(m): 6:27am On Feb 21, 2011
hmmmm
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by zeeleso(f): 8:13am On Feb 21, 2011
tbaba1234:

Homosexuality in islam is a sin, as much as it is in all of the abrahamic faiths.

but we live in strange times, don't we??

That such a contradictory statement even come up totally confirms we live in strange times. An Islamic wedding is between a man and a woman. Those are one of the conditions of Nikah. If all the conditions surrounding Nikah are not met then it is not Nikah.
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by ifyalways(f): 10:52am On Feb 21, 2011
Im indifferent to gays,irrespective of race or religion and this case is not an exception.
In my own little corner,i'm yet to get the reason anyone wud be attracted to same sex,huh
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by Lagosboy: 11:35am On Feb 21, 2011
This issue is so simple and clear. The quran is clear on this gay issue and the people of Shuayb (Sodom and gomora) were destroyed for homosexual activities. These two girls are just deceiving themselves as they could do whatever they want and it is their business but looking for islam to sanction their union is a wild goose chase. Muslims don’t modify islam and the principles of islam are fixed and static not subject to time or place, the application is dynamic though in relation to our social affairs especially

I just don’t understand why people like to make a fuss where there is no fuss. There are numerous verses in the quran discussing the terms on nikkah and in every single verse it is between a man and a woman. This issue is non debatable , it is non negiotiable, it is not subject to interpretation of any kind, it uncompromising.

Anyone is free to do whatever under their roofs and for all I care the lady could have 10 more lesbians to be with as it is her choice but looking for an Islamic rubber stamp to approve her union would forever remain a wild goose chase.

The other sheikh in the US conducting gay marriages is a joke and the reference he is making to Q31 makes him a comedian. As any mufaseer would tell you that the quranice verses complement each other and Allah stated in numerous verses in the quran the contract of marriage between a man and a woman.

And God knows best
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by izystount: 11:54am On Feb 21, 2011
Wat is wrong with guys of Nowadays, does it sound normal to them.Anyway, Islam doesn't tolerate rubbish things like dat, bt where is the World going to, angry
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by zayhal(f): 10:19am On Feb 22, 2011
The worrld is indeed coming to an end.

Seeing and hearing all manner of rubbish. angry
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by illusion2: 12:47pm On Feb 22, 2011
Wonders will never end.
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by mukina2: 1:35pm On Feb 22, 2011
angry
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by Sellit: 3:29pm On Feb 22, 2011
Brother /sisters, please stay away from participating in the pull asking if gay Nikah should be permitted, Nikah is Ibaadah in Islam  and Ibaadah are strictly by revelation as thought by the prophet  (s.a.w), there is no room for common sense  and hence no room for the pull. Participating in the pull is a mockery, and the initiator should desist from setting up pulls for issues of Ibaadah as this is also a mockery.
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by zayhal(f): 4:43pm On Feb 22, 2011
Sellit:

Brother /sisters, please stay away from participating in the pull asking if gay Nikah should be permitted, Nikah is Ibaadah in Islam  and Ibaadah are strictly by revelation as thought by the prophet  (s.a.w), there is no room for common sense  and hence no room for the pull. Participating in the pull is a mockery, and the initiator should desist from setting up pulls for issues of Ibaadah as this is also a mockery.

The initiator isn't a muslim. I don't think any muslim would ask such question or put up such poll.
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by hymen(f): 8:44pm On Feb 22, 2011
zayhal:

The initiator isn't a muslim. I don't think any muslim would ask such question or put up such poll.
Before criticizing ,please take time to read this Qu'ranic review.

http://www.imaan.org.uk/faq/QuranFAQ.pdf
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by tbaba1234: 10:55pm On Feb 22, 2011
hymen:

Before criticizing ,please take time to read this Qu'ranic review.

http://www.imaan.org.uk/faq/QuranFAQ.pdf

Crappy crap!!

Allah Most High says: "Do you approach the males of humanity, leaving the wives that Allah has created for you? But you are a people who transgress" Koran (26:165-66)

(2) "May Allah curse him who does that Lot's people did." (Ibn Hibban, sahih (authentic))

(3) "Lesbianism by women is adultery between them." (Tabarani, sahih)"

A whole people were destroyed for homosexuality in the Quran,  People will try to justify their sins, 

God guide us all!!!
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by vedaxcool(m): 8:37am On Feb 23, 2011
Usually I do not blame the OP, who seem to be an active supporter of homosexuality, as what were you trying to prove by giving gay support groups run by Kafirs claiming to be Muslims, we know Christianity is a failure a million times over, with Christian -Majority nations- actively pushing the Homos agenda everywhere possible, ffrom the UN to organisations, they your Christian Masters have lost their way and it seems you appear to support it. A word of advise when next you want to raise a topic which answers are glaring, use google to size up the situation - I assure you, you will find there is no connection between Islam and Homosexuality, the funny thing is people like you will simply pretend not to know the way Homosexuality is associated with Christianity just do a bit of research, or feel free to live in a dream, Not this cheap homo Propaganda you are doing, The fact that I have deep respect for the Prophet Jesus A.S would not let me bring the utter senseless allegations your fellow Christian brothers raise against him. More importantly Only Muslim countries execute Homos till date this shows the level that muslims and the Islam reject homosexuality, so quit this crap.
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by congoshine(m): 1:23pm On Feb 23, 2011
vedaxcool:

Usually I do not blame the OP, who seem to be an active supporter of homosexuality, as what were you trying to prove by giving gay support groups run by Kafirs claiming to be Muslims, we know Christianity is a failure a million times over, with Christian -Majority nations- actively pushing the Homos agenda everywhere possible, ffrom the UN to organisations, they your Christian Masters have lost their way and it seems you appear to support it. A word of advise when next you want to raise a topic which answers are glaring, use google to size up the situation - I assure you, you will find there is no connection between Islam and Homosexuality, the funny thing is people like you will simply pretend not to know the way Homosexuality is associated with Christianity just do a bit of research, or feel free to live in a dream, Not this cheap homo Propaganda you are doing, The fact that I have deep respect for the Prophet Jesus A.S would not let me bring the utter senseless allegations your fellow Christian brothers raise against him. More importantly Only Muslim countries execute Homos till date this shows the level that muslims and the Islam reject homosexuality, so quit this crap.
There goes another brainwashed subjugated nigerian cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by misterh(m): 2:08pm On Feb 24, 2011
No matter what they desire, the Quran has made its place known on this matter- HOMOSEXUALITY IS FORBIDDEN.
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by vedaxcool(m): 8:04am On Feb 26, 2011
congoshine:

Really sad. . . .   cry cry cry

One of my pals has all her  n.ude pictures on his computer  shocked shocked shocked

Kai. ,  guys don suffer  cheesy

congoshine:

When I say she's empty, I mean she is EMPTY. I can't vouch for her prowess in bed sha,tho' from the look of things she'll be a lazy f@#$  undecided

congoshine:

There goes another brainwashed subjugated nigerian  cheesy cheesy cheesy

it is easy to spot who have mental issues to deal with, PERVERT! shocked
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by congoshine(m): 3:39pm On Feb 26, 2011
vedaxcool:

it is easy to spot who have mental issues to deal with, PERVERT! shocked
I've dealt with you here brainwashed,subjugated w.a.nker tongue

P.S : Moderator ,he insulted me first.
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by deols(f): 6:12pm On Feb 27, 2011
congoshine:

if only we live in d days of our fore fathers, some1 like u wldnt be close to decision making at all.wld be kept far away from elders councils, with ur way of life, u still av d gut to keep comn to av a say in d religion section, *SMH*
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by vedaxcool(m): 2:04pm On Feb 28, 2011
^^^^^

True Talk but will Oga Pervert listen?

Read all his contributions on this thread and you will begin to wonder whether he is near sanity at all!

congoshine:

hmmmm

congoshine:

There goes another brainwashed subjugated nigerian cheesy cheesy cheesy

congoshine:

Which of your replies address the issue? i guess it is too hard an issue for you to answer. PEV
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by kodewrita(m): 4:53pm On Feb 28, 2011
And yet you wonder why muslims sometimes feel the need to kill. this is provocation. It seems britain has become a hot bed of gay perverts seeking to force religions/faiths to accept them. That Macaulay rascal (house of rainbow church) is also based in the UK.

I guess the countdown to the end has begun.
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by zeeleso(f): 7:45am On Mar 01, 2011
kodewrita:

And yet you wonder why[b] muslims sometimes feel the need to kill[/b]. this is provocation. It seems britain has become a hot bed of gay perverts seeking to force religions/faiths to accept them. That Macaulay rascal (house of rainbow church) is also based in the UK.

I guess the countdown to the end has begun.
There are so many things wrong with the bold statement.
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by Yooguyz: 12:46pm On Nov 20, 2013
to avoid being banned, please ensure your post is not offensive to any religion
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by Rhymeyjohn: 6:12pm On Nov 20, 2013
vedaxcool: Usually I do not blame the OP, who seem to be an active supporter of homosexuality, as what were you trying to prove by giving gay support groups run by Kafirs claiming to be Muslims, we know Christianity is a failure a million times over, with Christian -Majority nations- actively pushing the Homos agenda everywhere possible, ffrom the UN to organisations, they your Christian Masters have lost their way and it seems you appear to support it. A word of advise when next you want to raise a topic which answers are glaring, use google to size up the situation - I assure you, you will find there is no connection between Islam and Homosexuality, the funny thing is people like you will simply pretend not to know the way Homosexuality is associated with Christianity just do a bit of research, or feel free to live in a dream, Not this cheap homo Propaganda you are doing, The fact that I have deep respect for the Prophet Jesus A.S would not let me bring the utter senseless allegations your fellow Christian brothers raise against him. More importantly Only Muslim countries execute Homos till date this shows the level that muslims and the Islam reject homosexuality, so quit this crap.
Is this the character of a true muslim faithful? thought islam should be peaceful and muslims should represent such peace. you even pretend you respect Jesus, but the 'people of the book' who hold on to Jesus have failed a million times over according to you. it is such character that make people think twice about islamic idealogy. sister, please, your responses shouldnt all be provocative to the point of painting christianity bad to give islam a good name God bless you ma'am
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by Yankelaptops: 8:01pm On Nov 20, 2013
"""""""""""""""In attendance were six friends, who also acted as witnesses - "and a cat," says Sarah.

The short ceremony was conducted in Arabic, and additional duas - prayers - were read and the marriage was essentially no different from the nikahs performed for straight Muslim couples all over the world. """"""""""""

The following are the requirements of a valid marriage:

The pillars of marriage are three:

1. The couple must be free from any legal prevention to their being able to marry one another, like a close relationship or fosterage.

2. The woman must have the approval of her guardian.

3. There must be an offer and acceptance.

The conditions of marriage are four:

1. The presence of the couple

2. Their approval

3. The presence of the woman’s guardian

4. Two male, Muslim witnesses

These are the requirements of a valid marriage.

Our Prophet (peace be upon him) said : “Any woman married without the consent of her guardian, then her marriage contract is void , and the ruler is the guardian for whom has no guardian”. He also said: “There is no marriage without a guardian.”

The girl’s father is her guardian unless he is proven unfit on grounds of insanity, immorality, or malicious intent by a Muslim judge in an Islamic court or other presiding Islamic authority in the locality. In such cases, his guardianship is revoked and the next closest male relative will become her guardian.

Sheikh Nayif Al-Hamad
Re: British Gay Muslims Seek Islamic Wedding(nikah) by Mujah1deen: 5:33am On Nov 21, 2013
vedaxcool: Usually I do not blame the OP, who seem to be an active supporter of homosexuality, as what were you trying to prove by giving gay support groups run by Kafirs claiming to be Muslims, we know Christianity is a failure a million times over, with Christian -Majority nations- actively pushing the Homos agenda everywhere possible, ffrom the UN to organisations, they your Christian Masters have lost their way and it seems you appear to support it. A word of advise when next you want to raise a topic which answers are glaring, use google to size up the situation - I assure you, you will find there is no connection between Islam and Homosexuality, the funny thing is people like you will simply pretend not to know the way Homosexuality is associated with Christianity just do a bit of research, or feel free to live in a dream, Not this cheap homo Propaganda you are doing, The fact that I have deep respect for the Prophet Jesus A.S would not let me bring the utter senseless allegations your fellow Christian brothers raise against him. More importantly Only Muslim countries execute Homos till date this shows the level that muslims and the Islam reject homosexuality, so quit this crap.

I don't see what Christians have to do with this, last time I checked they were still against Homosexuality, besides isn't Obama a Muslim?
And I don't know any Christian Country.

@ topic/op May Allah forgive you .
Islam is haram and homo must b killed.period
Like someone said , Muslims shouldn't even answer such poll

(1) (Reply)

Why are mulsim countries intolerant of other religions / The Meaning Of Surat Al-fathia / How Blind Are Those Who Called Islam "man Made Religion"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.