Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

The Benin- Ife Myth Shouldn't Be Circulated Again Ever Again - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Benin- Ife Myth Shouldn't Be Circulated Again Ever Again (3592 Views)

Benin-ife Relationship Explored / Who Really Owns The Benin Bronzes? / "Village People" Fact Or Myth? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Benin- Ife Myth Shouldn't Be Circulated Again Ever Again by samuk: 9:01am On Dec 04, 2020
tollyboy5:
Let me pitch my tent here. This na two illusionist that don't know who their ancestors were. Awon sky babies grin

Stay tuned and enjoy yourself because Oduduwa is a myth that climbed down from the sky with a golden chain. Thank God the Awujale of Ijebu doesn't buy this rubbish.

1 Like

Re: The Benin- Ife Myth Shouldn't Be Circulated Again Ever Again by gregyboy(m): 10:09am On Dec 04, 2020
TAO11:
FRAUD ALERT!!!
In response to the foregoing fraud, it is NOT the Ifes who propagated the idea that they thought the Binis bronze casting.

Rather, it is the Binis themselves who insisted adamantly to the Europeans that Bronze casting was thought to them by their masters from Ife. cheesy

Moreover, in the logic of disgruntled Bini Nairalanders, a student who goes on to have an apparently more sizeable library than his teacher (although with relatively inferior materials) was never taught by such teacher. smiley

Oh God! Please answer this prayer. Please give Binis brain — at least small. Amen! grin
————————
Summary:
Folks, make sure to find this handy for quick referencing:

(A) No Pre-1800 Ife/Benin Connection? — DEBUNKED:
https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/9#96323798

(B) Benin Owns Lagos? — DEBUNKED: https://www.nairaland.com/6286709/ijebu-vs-jebusite/1#96593783

(C) Yoruba Founded In 1808? — DEBUNKED https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/25#96567759

(D)Benin Owns The Word “Oba”? — DEBUNKED https://www.nairaland.com/6234931/why-ikwerres-not-igbo-logic/15#96513655

Peace!

———————
PS: To claim your kingdom is great is one thing. But to claim your kindgom is greater than others’ is a separate claim entirely.

It is for this second type of claims that I often bring up relative comparisons, such as in my screenshot below, from the same pre-1897 observers.

He who has not been to another man’s farm may conclude erroneously that his father’s is the largest. cheesy

~ Yoruba Proverb.

Tao11 seems shy i would help her

She brought this image below from a yoruba foreign author biller, blier is a foreign yoruba author one of her specialty is on ife history, jusy the way we have afc ryder a foreign author too who specializes on benin history

I posted afc ryders work as my screenshot above him discrediting benin ife relationship

On the othet hand biler has accepted and probably tries to find way to belive on the oral history benin and the yorubas have told about oduduwa sending his son oromiyan coming to benin, but one thing about blier is her desperation to connect both history even with illogical points or false point

Now the images points out a benin sculpture found in ife, in bliers work, and yet when we check on net to find the details, or how it was found in ife we get lost, and seem non existing

I have also begged tao11 to also share the direct referencing to the book or share the pdf to get further details she seems not to have replied me

So its eithet Tao11 is desperate to falsefully connect both tribe or blier is desperate to connect them and sell her books

Anyway you all can do the research yourself on that sculpture

Am a free thinker if you dont mind

TAO11 provide the date that sculpture was found
In ife, the founder, the site, and appropriate location and Stam by the nigerian government
Re: The Benin- Ife Myth Shouldn't Be Circulated Again Ever Again by Ideadoctor(m): 7:46pm On Dec 07, 2020
Adamant and funny Greyboy, you just don't want to accept that Yoruba's are greater than your tribe,even though Tao112 had proven it severally, kai! I don't like your type,you are not honest,not skeptical, just emotional like a small boy,let me tell a bad news,ife and Benin connection can never be erased, Benin is a Yoruba legacy for eternity, we will never forget how our father oranmiyan was charitable and donate his royal sperm to break the curse of insanity which flowed in the ogisos vein,he began a dynasty which is characterized by success and victories, unlike the ogisos reign which is corrupt and depressed,but here you are insulting our great race, do you want your curse to return? Better mind how you talk to Yorubas,they are not your father's mate,be guided

3 Likes

Re: The Benin- Ife Myth Shouldn't Be Circulated Again Ever Again by Sewgon79(m): 2:17pm On Apr 01, 2023
AreaFada2:

She must be on 'Aimiuwu' TV program kind of quest by now. Just dey give them work to keep dem busy. You are doing well. grin

The Yoruba people of Nigeria have a rich and diverse history, with many legends and myths passed down through generations.
The purpose of mythology is to serve as a compass to each generation and create a unique identity.

One of the most popular stories is that of Oduduwa, the progenitor of the Yoruba people. They didn't say the creator of Human or Yoruba people.
In Yoruba myth of creation Obatala is the creator of Human being through the power of Olodumare(Obatala didn't do a good job in human creation and that's the reason why humanity is not perfect.)
However, in recent years, there has been a debate over where Oduduwa came from, with some Bini suggesting that he is definitely came from Benin. They said he was Izodudwa..
The whole "where Oduduwa came from is politically and religiously motivated.

In this post, we will explore why Oduduwa could not have come from Benin. The purpose of this post isn't to belittle great Benin history neither I am of the opinion that Benin are related with the Yorubas.They believe they are not related to Yoruba, and we must respect that.
Firstly, it is important to note that the idea that Oduduwa was a Benin prince is a relatively new narrative, less than 70 years old. There is no record both audio or written where the Benin linked Izodudwa to Oodua. When the Oba of Bini was attending Yoruba Oba council meeting in 1937 and years after. I don't think Oba of Bini believes Izodudwa was Oodua during those times.
The traditional narratives that most Yoruba people hold to be important do not suggest that Oduduwa came from Benin. Some suggest that he came from the East therefore he is from Benin.

However, Benin is located to the southwest of Ile-ife, not East, and neither are Sudan or Mecca.

So, where did Oduduwa come from?

It is likely that Oduduwa(Name) is an appellation, rather than a historical figure.
This isn't a rare occurrences .Ajaka Alaafin of Oyo was called "Sango"..

we need to separate Orisa Oduduwa from historical Oduduwa. The name "Oduduwa" is written and pronounced as "Oodua" in Yoruba ife dialect. Even in Yoruba dictionary of 1852, written as 'ODUA , ODUDUA"

When we look at the tradition, it does not say that Oduduwa was from Mecca or Benin. To get an idea of where he came from, we can do a bit of oral analysis. Ife, which is where Oduduwa is said to have founded the Yoruba people, was divided into many kindoms.
Iremo, Oranfe, and others are examples of the ancient kingdoms of Ife.
It is likely that Oduduwa came from Oranfe kingdom. In the ile-ife anthem, one phrase sings "Oranfe onile ina, Oodua awerinrinjagun". This suggests that Oduduwa came from Oranfe, which is located in Oke Ora. Tradition tells us that Oke Ora is where Oduduwa came down with chain.
Oke in Yoruba means Hill top and yes Oke Ora is more hillious .
Its more likely that Oodua belongs to the people of hill, fought a battle to unity the kingdoms of Ile-ife.(Oranfe onile ina, Oodua awerinrinjagun". )

It is also worth noting that in Yoruba tradition, names often reflect the circumstances of a person's birth or events surrounding their life.

In conclusion, there is no evidence to suggest that Oduduwa came from Benin. The idea that he was a Benin prince is a relatively new narrative that does not appear in traditional Yoruba narratives.
Whoever going to make such claims must provide evidence beyond reasonable doubt than just "Changjng "O" into "I" and "grin" into "Z" making it "Izoduwa".The burden of Proofs is with the claimant.
According to the Benin, Izoduwa meaning is 'I have chosen the path of prosperity'
Yoruba meaning of Oodua literally "The great repository which brings forth existence"

In conclusion, there is no evidence to suggest that Oduduwa came from Benin. The idea that he was a Benin prince is a relatively new narrative that does not appear in traditional Yoruba narratives. Instead, it is likely that Oduduwa came from Oranfe, which is located in Ile-ife. The debate over where Oduduwa came from highlights the importance of understanding the nuances of oral tradition and the role that appellation can play in shaping historical narratives.
9news Nigeria
9news Nigeria public interest

https://www.facebook.com/239724326376914/posts/pfbid0hnj7qstQJELVXxFo7k3Mw8pa1RTqisY3uiEFeASV8gerEcpzcoKrgTEq4pDoQLk8l/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sub-tribalism(clanship) In South-east Nigeria / "smoking Igbo" / Black Men Are Weak And White Men Are Powerful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.