Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! (43549 Views)

Banks Begin Collection Of Old Naira Notes Despite CBN’s Denial Of Directive / New Notes Scarcity: CBN Issues Fresh Directive To Banks / Central Bank Of Nigeria New Directive On Money Transferred To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by arkonpoint: 4:02pm On Sep 01, 2020
Had similar experience. You'll have to get the letter of administration from a high court nearby. The process is usually cumbersome then but I don't know about now. The letter of administration covers all other properties like land and businesses owned by the demise so it may be of value to you eventually

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by SweetJoystick(m): 4:02pm On Sep 01, 2020
No waste your time, without LOA nothing can be done on that account

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by JIMMY1393: 4:02pm On Sep 01, 2020
As people have suggested ...seek legal council...hope some lawyers here can give you some insight
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by LandMann: 4:03pm On Sep 01, 2020
Why not go get the letter of administration and save yourselves the headache.

The bank has to follow due process but you're trying to cut corners as is usual with corrupt Nigerians.

Better still go and get a lawyer

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by Camos: 4:03pm On Sep 01, 2020
WTF

zuma4k:

Stated Reasons bothers on the fact that under banking laws and the principles of a valid contract, a contract between a depositor and the bank terminates upon the demise of the individual thus rendering the *mandate* unenforceable and invalid.
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by tundeedunte777: 4:03pm On Sep 01, 2020
best marketplace
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by Juanmike(m): 4:03pm On Sep 01, 2020
S
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by cloud(m): 4:03pm On Sep 01, 2020
Approach high court, get the letter of administration. It should cost between the range of 10-35k depending, but not more except it involves landed properties. Better to get it and settle what ever issues that will come up rather than wasting valuable time arguing with the bank

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 4:03pm On Sep 01, 2020
homesteady:
What is the letter of administration supposed to achieve?

Threaten them that you will take them to court. What they are doing is nonsense.
they want you to go to court so they’ll lost you in the labyrinth of Nigeria’s judicial system
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by Kobicove(m): 4:04pm On Sep 01, 2020
zuma4k:
Please fellow nairalanders, I need your opinions on this and if possible front page. It's quite personal and goes like this.
1. Mr Adam (my father) opens a fixed deposit account with X Bank. He subsequently submits his wife's details and makes her a co-signatory to the account with the *express mandate* that upon his demise, his wife exercises automatic access to the account and it's proceeds. Does this amount to a valid contract between him and the bank?.

2. Note that after his death the bank reneged on the primary provision of his directive, stating that a letter of administration must be procured (at an exorbitant cost).
Stated Reasons bothers on the fact that under banking laws and the principles of a valid contract, a contract between a depositor and the bank terminates upon the demise of the individual thus rendering the *mandate* unenforceable and invalid.
Please mods I need this on front page. Thanks.

The bank is trying to avoid litigation and potential liability that is why they are insisting on you getting a Letter of Administration

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by jacoik(m): 4:04pm On Sep 01, 2020
I studied in Ghana and need a job in Nigeria bank because am a good ghanaian citizen
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 01, 2020
SocialJustice:
Talk to a lawyer, don't waste your time here.
Is the lawyer going to render a free service?

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by 175(m): 4:04pm On Sep 01, 2020
A letter of Administration is very easy to get from the court. Just present proof of death, and documents to show show he is actually your Father.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by SocialJustice: 4:04pm On Sep 01, 2020
Mindlog:

Do you want to consult a doctor for it?
No mind the mumu.
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 01, 2020
zuma4k:
Please fellow nairalanders, I need your opinions on this and if possible front page. It's quite personal and goes like this.
1. Mr Adam (my father) opens a fixed deposit account with X Bank. He subsequently submits his wife's details and makes her a co-signatory to the account with the *express mandate* that upon his demise, his wife exercises automatic access to the account and it's proceeds. Does this amount to a valid contract between him and the bank?.

2. Note that after his death the bank reneged on the primary provision of his directive, stating that a letter of administration must be procured (at an exorbitant cost).

You're bringing a legal matter with plenty grammar to bet9ja players .

23 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:04pm On Sep 01, 2020
zuma4k:

Since your father did not have a will, you are expected to get a letter of administration.
Assuming it was a joint account between your late dad and mom, your mom would have automatically become the new operator of the account. Provided either of your father or mother could sign alone

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by Olayinkavin29(m): 4:04pm On Sep 01, 2020
eyah!
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by eddyslim(m): 4:05pm On Sep 01, 2020
Issokay.. Wish I could help. But what do I know?

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by Samoranopapa(m): 4:05pm On Sep 01, 2020
The best thing you can do is to get a lawyer because you can’t do this alone. You’ll need to present certain documents before the said money can be transferred to your mom. I assume that your Dad died intestate(without a will), so a letter of administration must be obtained

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by tobaaro(m): 4:05pm On Sep 01, 2020
Unfortunately, the Banks will err on the side of caution on this one. You will do well to avoid dashing lawyers additional money and just procure the Letter of Administration. The Banks deal with way too many cases like this to have made a standardized approach to its resolution: Simply procure a valid Letter of Administration!

A word they say..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by SocialJustice: 4:05pm On Sep 01, 2020
comshots:
Is the lawyer going to render a free service?
Does your doctor treat you for free?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by hayor2014(m): 4:05pm On Sep 01, 2020
Don't waste your money on lawyer, a contract is no longer valid on the demise of one of the parties.
In banking everywhere, you need a letter of administration (issued by a court) for all the properties and bank accounts a person has, and it states who the administrators of the legal possessions will be..

No lawyer will take this case, It's a banking law, the case is lost ab initio..

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by sexylassie2(f): 4:06pm On Sep 01, 2020
ladyF:
Why not just get the letter of administration.

Pls tell the op.

Simple instructions, they make it complex, is it that they can not afford letter of administration.

At the end, it is still letter of administration that will solve the issue.
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by Ice4jez(m): 4:06pm On Sep 01, 2020
Then what is the use of asking for next of kin and der. Detail of not for such eventuality

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by AristocraticMe: 4:07pm On Sep 01, 2020
SocialJustice:
Talk to a lawyer, don't waste your time here.
nice reply. ..
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by Depressed101: 4:08pm On Sep 01, 2020
zuma4k:

zuma4k:

zuma4k:

This your post is very unnecessary. It is due process that you get the letter of administration before contacting the bank concerning a diseased man's fund.

I have never heard the bank sell letter of administration. You get it from a high court
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by yesloaded: 4:08pm On Sep 01, 2020
zuma4k:

Letter of administration is not expensive at all. Go to nearest high court & get it done. You don't need a lawyer to get it done but if you prefer to involve one it's ok.

I'm sorry, you need letter of administration to have access to that fund

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by hayor2014(m): 4:08pm On Sep 01, 2020
Don't waste your money on lawyer, a contract is no longer valid on the demise of one of the parties.
In banking everywhere, you need a letter of administration (issued by a court) for all the properties and bank accounts a person has, and it states who the administrators of the legal possessions will be..

No lawyer will take this case, It's a banking law, the case is lost ab initio..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by alfajohn: 4:08pm On Sep 01, 2020
You see if you want to avoid letter of administration both signatories must be able to sign independently. A or B to sign not A to sign and conditionality now attached to B signing. Like you have said after the death of your father, won’t work. The snag of both signing independently is that you are the mercy of your spouse he or she can do and undo with your funds.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by pat077: 4:09pm On Sep 01, 2020
Call them out on Twitter make ppl drag them like tiger generation
Re: Nigerian Bank Disobeying My Late Father's Directive. PLEASE HELP!!! by TheChameleon: 4:10pm On Sep 01, 2020
SailorUgo:
Carry the bank manager go one corner
Calmly tell am say u wan forget about the money
Say u dey carry ur papa dead body go deposit for one strong IJEBU shrine or OkIJA shrine

And u go only bury the corpse when dem pay u the money.

Nah dem go find you come!

Thieves angry angry

Very dry.

Keep your dumb jokes for Romance section.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

[PHOTO] Dangote, Otedola, Meet Buhari As Elumelu Invests $2.5m In Power Sector / Today's Naira Exchange Rate Against The Dollar, Pounds And Euro / How to start a lucrative Human hair business with 100-200k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.