Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,136 members, 7,807,453 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:43 PM

Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya (10110 Views)

Boko Haram Invades Northern Cameroon, Kills 90 Civilians / Protesters Plan To Bombard Thatcher’s Coffin With Eggs, Coal Or Milk / Ghaddafi Is Gone, Now They Are Killing Themselves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Justcash(m): 7:39pm On Feb 21, 2011
Ghaddaffi is a confirmed Mad man. He is slaughtering his people because he wants to hold unto power.

He sent Some Colonels to go and bomb the protesters. Some of the Colonels refused and went to Malt instead, where they were promptly arrested.
Mercenaries, made up of West Africans were hired to Shell the crowd of protesters.
It is a Massacre.
Ghaddaffi is believed to be on the run to Venezuela.

Is this the sort of thing that would have happened in the United States of Africa that Ghaddaffi proposed?

Looks like the sort of thing Nigerian Leaders can do.

What a Shame!

Source: Watching it on Al jazeera
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by pleep(m): 8:09pm On Feb 21, 2011
your KIDDING?? i used to really admire gaddafi. someone needs to assasinate this guy.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Fogman(m): 8:19pm On Feb 21, 2011
African leaders are selfish and power drunk.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Obiagu1(m): 8:36pm On Feb 21, 2011
Two Libyan Air Force fighter pilots defected on Monday and flew their jets to Malta where they told authorities they had been ordered to bomb protesters, Maltese government officials said.

They said the two pilots, both colonels, took off from a base near Tripoli. One of them has requested political asylum.

The pilots are being questioned by the Maltese police.

The two said they decided to fly to Malta after being ordered to bomb anti-government protesters in Libya's second largest city of Benghazi, the sources said.

Police were also questioning seven passengers who landed in European Union member state Malta from Libya on board two French-registered helicopters.

The government sources said the helicopters left Libya without authorization by the Libyan aviation authorities and that only one of the seven passengers -- who say they are French citizens -- had a passport.

A French Foreign Ministry spokesman could not immediately confirm the information as it was still being verified.

The four-decade rule of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has been shaken by days of violent protests which reached the capital Tripoli for the first time on Monday.

Source
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Nobody: 8:48pm On Feb 21, 2011
Mercenaries, made up of West Africans were hired to Shell the crowd of protesters

west africans from where exactly?
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by solihu(m): 8:54pm On Feb 21, 2011
Absolute power indeed currupt absolutely!
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Kobojunkie: 8:54pm On Feb 21, 2011
pleep:

your KIDDING?? i used to really admire gaddafi. someone needs to assasinate this guy.

You used to admire him? What is he doing any different now from before?
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by deb(m): 9:06pm On Feb 21, 2011
I'm not surprised at the news. It is Ghadaffi we are talking about here
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by ShangoThor(m): 9:14pm On Feb 21, 2011
GAME OVER! Some believe, the minute you bring foreign forces/elements to quell demonstrations, and subsequently kill your own citizens, you have committed a treasonable offense!
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by darlingbas(m): 9:20pm On Feb 21, 2011
right from the onset, i knew libya's version of the current wave sweeping across the middle east is going to be a very dicey one, Gadaffi is a very tough meet, I think the people have reached the point of no return, hence Gadaffi's resort to the use of force, He's a shameless little goat.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by pleep(m): 9:47pm On Feb 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You used to admire him? What is he doing any different now from before?

We must keep in mind that all these 'strong men' in N. Africa were actaully very good for thier countries, they brought stability and economic growth, ( at least more than in the south) and i also liked his pan africanism.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Kobojunkie: 9:55pm On Feb 21, 2011
pleep:

We must keep in mind that all these 'strong men' in N. Africa were actaully very good for thier countries, they brought stability and economic growth, ( at least more than in the south) and i also liked his pan africanism.

I hate to do this, but could please define "good"? You mean in much the same way we can claim Abacha was "good" for Nigeria? I mean some will argue that he did rescue us from Babangida(even it that ain't so factual) and the nation was most "secure" during his regime as well.

lol
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Fogman(m): 10:01pm On Feb 21, 2011
tpiah!:

west africans from where exactly?
Chad
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by EzeUche2(m): 10:05pm On Feb 21, 2011
Mercenaries have no qualms in killing people they have no allegiance to. That is why Gaddafi hired them.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by pleep(m): 11:14pm On Feb 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I hate to do this, but could please define "good"? You mean in much the same way we can claim Abacha was "good" for Nigeria? I mean some will argue that he did rescue us from Babangida(even it that ain't so factual) and the nation was most "secure" during his regime as well.

lol

by good i mean long term positve effects on the country. The libya of now is certainly much better than it was in 1969 when ghaddafi took over. he managed his natural resources well, and improved his country.  however, nigeria is certainly not better than it was in the 60's,  infact nigeria is much worse. that is because he had a long string of bad leaders.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Kobojunkie: 11:18pm On Feb 21, 2011
pleep:

by good i mean long term positve effects on the country. The libya of now is certainly much better than it was in 1969 when ghaddafi took over. he managed his natural resources well, and improved his country.  however, nigeria is certainly not better than it was in the 60's,  infact nigeria is much worse. that is because he had a long string of bad leaders.

How come the Libyan people do not seem to agree with your assessment of their government? If Ghaddafi has been so good to them, why are they revolting today, if Libya is much better and all? Why the sudden do-or-die to remove him from office?
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by pleep(m): 11:29pm On Feb 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

How come the Libyan people do not seem to agree with your assessment of their government? If Ghaddafi has been so good to them, why are they revolting today, if Libya is much better and all? Why the sudden do-or-die to remove him from office?
dont get me wrong ghadaffi has overstayed in office.
but Most of the protesters are young people and have always known ghaddafi as their president. They naturaly would blame every problem on him,  im not saying he is an angel he has a poor human rights record an probably some curruption, but there is no denying he improved libya.  unemployment can make anyone angry but that is not neccecarily ghadaffis fault.

sorry to bring this up again, but all you have to do is compare libya to nigeria, the main difference is leadership. but libya is a much better place to live.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by KnowAll(m): 11:30pm On Feb 21, 2011
how can u love your people when shoot them like turkeys and bomb them into smithereens. Gaddafi is definitely a mad-dog.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Gayigaskia(m): 11:34pm On Feb 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Simple because human beings are just unpredictable. Khaddafi has indeed been good for his people with his oil wealth redistribution program.
Opinion: Libya's Redistribution of Wealth Must Not Breed a Dependency Culture
By Sami Zaptia
08/04/2008 12:49:00
On Thursday 13th March 08 oil prices in New York peaked above the US$110 mark for the first time. For a nation like Libya which earns over 90% of its foreign earnings from oil-export revenues this is good news.

It is also great news from the point of view of Libya's desire to redistribute its wealth among all its citizens and get closer to the ideal aim of an equitable model society. The redistribution of wealth to all Libyan citizens has always been a central aim of the Jamahiriya and the high price of oil has made the implementation of this goal even more possible.

However, this great idea of suddenly every Libyan receiving on average between US$ 5,000 to 10,000 per month just for being a Libyan citizen worries me. I feel that there is a real and serious danger that a nation, a whole people that get into the habit of receiving a great deal of money just because of their nationality would get used to receiving in the long term and not giving - and subsequently find it difficult to adjust.

Moreover, this great idea may seem ok when there is oil, but what about later when oil runs out? By then it would be too late I fear for Libyans to change their habits and mentality. We would have already created a nation of consumers, a nation of spenders, and a nation of receivers - instead of givers. We would have created a nation of dependent people instead of a nation of independent people.

If we pause and think for a moment and ask ourselves: Do we really want that? Do we really want a nation where we sit around watching time go by, watching the calendar waiting for the month's end so that we can go and collect our share of the oil revenue? Basically we would just slowly - but surely - wither away and our brains would slowly cease to function as we fade out of existence.

The often quoted study of Libya's economy conducted by Professor Porter and the Monitor Group identified a series of policies to proactively develop our economy. These included the reduction of the role and size of the state sector, decentralization, the reduction of un-employment, the creation of employment by making company formation easier and encouraging enterprise, Start ups and SMEs. It also recommended the creation of 'clusters' and transit trade, the giving of loans and training, and encouraging domestic competition in order to create competitive sectors and competitive advantages. Surely this is the type of proactive, competitive and creative endeavor we want to be engaged in - or do we just want to eat, sleep and spend?

The famous Chinese proverb of 'give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime' surely applies here. Are we not more interested in gaining new and better skills, know-how, training, and ability? Surely these are more important than mind-numbing handouts. And yes what happens when that source of the hand out runs out? What happens when oil runs out or a cheaper alternative is discovered/invented or its price collapses or demand for it fades?

Moreover, is this not exactly what we have been trying to get away from recently? Is it not exactly this mentality of cap-in-hand society, a welfare state or 'nanny state', a society of what can the state do for me as opposed to a state of people who ask what can I do for my self, for my family, my nation, my society, my continent, my culture, my religion? I mean, those of us who are lucky may inhabit this earth for just less than 100 years. Is this what we want to be remembered for? Is this going to be our contribution to humanity and mankind? Surely we want to be remembered as givers, as contributors, as creators - not idle consumers?

All this after the EDB was set up - in theory anyway - to try to help SMEs, Start-ups and new university graduates and the whole message was that of independence, self-reliance, self help, self support, doing it for yourself by yourself. Yes, with a hand-up, a temporary helping hand like that given to an infant learning to walk. Government loans, start-up capital, direct and various indirect means of help and support - finite in quantity and finite in duration are fine. But in the long term, continuous handouts can only be harmful in my view.

Moreover, developing such a dependent state of mind and mindset domestically will only mean that Libya as a whole and as a nation will also become a dependant state - dependant on the so called developed states' continued demand for our oil supply. This is not the 'independence' that Libya has for decades fought and struggled so hard for.

Equality and the equitable distribution and re-distribution of wealth are honourable aims. However, the way in which these aims are implemented must ensure that it - the wealth - must not weaken our people, our society and our nation. We must ensure that this great wealth must be used productively and positively not negatively.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Parnassuss(m): 11:40pm On Feb 21, 2011
@Kobo, I don't think the fellow who has enjoyed so much good will from a considerable number of Libyans within and outside his country can be discounted. I remember seeing a special on Aljeezera still just after the Syrian/Israeli War, Libyans PRAISED Ghaddafi for calling for restabliment of the Palestinian state.
But right now this guy has stepped out of any cocoon he had about himself. In truth many ppl admit Libya was not as great as they would have you believe though. Heck this is plain evil,
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by jude33084(m): 12:10am On Feb 22, 2011
pleep:

by good i mean long term positve effects on the country. The libya of now is certainly much better than it was in 1969 when ghaddafi took over. he managed his natural resources well, and improved his country.  however, nigeria is certainly not better than it was in the 60's,  infact nigeria is much worse. that is because he had a long string of,,

Nigerians!
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by teeboyseve(m): 12:13am On Feb 22, 2011
I sense the world is changing, Revolution. If the election in Nigeria goes wrong, We may be the next Egypt in West Africa.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by VIO1(m): 12:17am On Feb 22, 2011
Ghaddafi is going nuts. He'll soon join his brother abacha when God says its time
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by viclee009: 12:21am On Feb 22, 2011
So what is new, Nigeria millitary leaders did far worst.
if you doubt me, ask babangida what he did secretly when he was a dictator in Nigeria before
handing over to Abacha the butcher.
May abacha continue to rot in hell until babangida join him so that they can rot together. Amen
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by pleep(m): 12:25am On Feb 22, 2011
jude33084:

by good i mean long term positve effects on the country. The libya of now is certainly much better than it was in 1969 when ghaddafi took over. he managed his natural resources well, and improved his country.  however, nigeria is certainly not better than it was in the 60's,  infact nigeria is much worse. that is because he had a long string of,,

Nigerians!

haha that made me laugh.     your right though
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by chefmerbel: 12:48am On Feb 22, 2011
May God save us from the hands of our African leaders. A M E N !
Ghaddafi gave his people food but no freedom, of speech etc , freedom is very important to any living thing.
if you've ever seen a goat that has just been untied, you will understand what i mean.
i'd rather be free than eat and be bound,

who him go rule if he kill them finish?
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Kobojunkie: 1:11am On Feb 22, 2011
Parnassuss:

@Kobo, I don't think the fellow who has enjoyed so much good will from a considerable number of Libyans within and outside his country can be discounted. I remember seeing a special on Aljeezera still just after the Syrian/Israeli War, Libyans PRAISED Ghaddafi for calling for restabliment of the Palestinian state.
But right now this guy has stepped out of any cocoon he had about himself. In truth many ppl admit Libya was not as great as they would have you believe though. Heck this is plain evil,
Well, this evil has been happening from the beginning. That is what I am saying. Ghaddaffi did not necessarily change -- he has always been known to put down opposition in this manner. Only now we are tuning in LIVE and in REAL TIME, and now we can better judge and understand that what we have supported over the years, has never been really good for the people.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Kobojunkie: 1:13am On Feb 22, 2011
pleep:

dont get me wrong ghadaffi has overstayed in office.
but Most of the protesters are young people and have always known ghaddafi as their president. They naturaly would blame every problem on him,  im not saying he is an angel he has a poor human rights record an probably some curruption, but there is no denying he improved libya.  unemployment can make anyone angry but that is not neccecarily ghadaffis fault.

sorry to bring this up again, but all you have to do is compare libya to nigeria, the main difference is leadership. but libya is a much better place to live.

I am not even referring to his being there for 41 years. I am addressing the claim that Ghaddaffi has changed. If you look at the man's history, what we see today is the same Ghaddaffi of the 70's and the 80's . . . . Only it seems your perception of him is what has changed here today, maybe as a result of the fact that now we get to watch the massacre of opposition to his regime on LIVE TV!
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by turboman(m): 1:19am On Feb 22, 2011
Gayigaskia:

. . . . . . . . . . .However, this great idea of suddenly every Libyan receiving on average between US$ 5,000 to 10,000 per month just for being a Libyan citizen worries me. I feel that there is a real and serious danger that a nation, a whole people that get into the habit of receiving a great deal of money just because of their nationality would get used to receiving in the long term and not giving - and subsequently find it difficult to adjust. . . . . . . .

I have heard of this line where every Libyan receives a monthly payment for being a citizen, but i never knew it was as much as US$ 5,000. A very foolish approach for a  nation in this century. However, i hope the new regime after the downfall of Ghadaffi would continue the payment else the whole revolution would be a ghastly mistake as the whole nation would likely plunge into a civil war when they stop getting their usual monthly stipend.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by againstGEJ(m): 1:38am On Feb 22, 2011
Wrong news. Venezuela government says Qaddafi aint flying into their country.
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by Mobinga: 1:41am On Feb 22, 2011
Re: Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya by shotster50(m): 1:47am On Feb 22, 2011
This has been a long time coming, Libyans have finally found their voice, Hopefully this wont turn out to be yet another animal farm revolution.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obama’s “Four More Years” Breaks Twitter Records / White House Budget Chief Officially Looks To Delay Huawei Restrictions / US Secession Petitions Filed For 50 States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.