Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,376 members, 7,781,053 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:07 AM

Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water (56643 Views)

Auto Crash Claims Three Lives On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway / Beautiful Picture Of Araromi Beach, Ilaje, Ondo State / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by Zeesugar(f): 12:46pm On Sep 03, 2020
demitola:
Yorubas would say "If you go farther into the forests, you would see hunch-back squirrels". I've seen that video & for the first time i saw how crayfish is being harvested & prepared.
How can people be hawking wares on water? This life no balance! And the guy even won an MSME Award, an initiative from the Office of Prof Osinbajo

You have said well.
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by webm: 12:55pm On Sep 03, 2020
Did any local government in the South South/South East, participate in the school feeding program?
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by LadySarah: 1:13pm On Sep 03, 2020
Osibanjo media crew. See them on Frontpage commenting back to back.
Msne my foot
Fuel is now #163 per litre
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by Nasrothschild1: 1:19pm On Sep 03, 2020
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 03, 2020
FreeSpirited:

The indigenous ilajes in Lagos migrated from Ilaje of Ondo state...mostly through water, i.e the Atlantic costal line that linked ilaje with Lagos. And history also shows they are one of the earliest tribe, if not earliest Yoruba group in Lagos. But many don't know today, cos Ilajes are mostly found around water bodies

Wow! Really??

Interesting.

They seem to have a thing with water though. Even the ones at makoko area.
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by mulerogold(m): 1:26pm On Sep 03, 2020
[quote author= post=93525510]
Say WHAT!
WE refuse to believe this!!
shocked shocked

Well, i can tell you as an Ilaje Man that its all true.

We are being marginalised by the government. Mostly the state Government.

We the Ilajes owns the only Oil producing communities in Ondo state and the entire south west at large.

The largest coastal area of this Nation.

13% oil derivation funds being paid to the oil producing states buh yet our Governors pocket the funds.

OSOPADEC

(Ondo state oil producing area development commission )

Set up for the purpose of developing these communities has since been hijacked by the state Governors.

Nothing to show for in these area.

Fishing is our major occupation.

Fuel price in these riverine communities are not as same as we buy on land .

1litre of petrol has been fixed for 200 naira ever since due to cost of transport from the depot.

Its like we are living in a different world here.

A sachet water is sold for 30naira while the "cold" type is 40naira per 1.

The cheapest of all anti-malaria tablets here is sold for 500naira.

No Government health care service,
No power supply.
You eaither run your business on Generator set or solar powered inverter.

Our problem in these part of the Nation is mainly the state Government.

We have CHEVRON, SHELL ,CON OIL polluting our waters with their oil spills.

We wake up everyday with more problems to face.

so whatever you see in that video above is nothing but the truth.

1 Like

Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by abdullahi45: 2:24pm On Sep 03, 2020
Deborah98:
but he got to adapt by finding out survival strategies ni,

Yeah sure. But that got nothing to do with Evolution by natural selection as purported by Darwin
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by FreeSpirited: 2:48pm On Sep 03, 2020
Brachaa:

Wow! Really??

Interesting.

They seem to have a thing with water though. Even the ones at makoko area.

The one at Makoko are still thesame Ilaje...Their ancestors and ancestral name can still be traced to Ilaje local gvt in Ondo State. It's not about a thing in water, they are water people, and fishermen who have conquered both river, sea and ocean...If u look at the map, u will see ilaje is bounded by Atlantic ocean in their Southern boundary.
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 03, 2020
FreeSpirited:

The one at Makoko are still thesame Ilaje...Their ancestors and ancestral name can still be traced to Ilaje local gvt. It's not about a thing in water, they are water people, and fishermen who have conquered both river, sea and ocean...If u look at the map, u will see ilaje is bounded by Atlantic ocean in their Southern boundary.

Hmm... Thanks for the headup.

The important thing is that they are happy with their environment.

Are they also the Eguns because they are sometimes referred to as Eguns or am I just mixing them up?
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by FreeSpirited: 3:02pm On Sep 03, 2020
Brachaa:

Hmm... Thanks for the headup.

The important thing is that they are happy with their environment.

Are they also the Eguns because they are sometimes referred to as Eguns or am I just mixing them up?

No, not at all! They have no relationship with Egun historically, except that those Ilajes who migrated to Lagos, may have found themselves in thesame vicinity as the Egun, to the extent that they might be confused together.
To put history into perspective, the Ilajes initially actually came all the way from Ife, the origin of all Yoruba about 1000years ago, to the riverine area of Ondo state...before migrating to different water areas in the country like Lagos, Delta, Akwaibom, rivers, etc....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by Nobody: 3:27pm On Sep 03, 2020
FreeSpirited:

No, not at all! They have no relationship with Egun historically, except that those Ilajes who migrated to Lagos, may have found themselves in thesame vicinity as the Egun, to the extent that they might be confused together.
To put history into perspective, the Ilajes initially actually came all the way from Ife, the origin of all Yoruba about 1000years ago, to the riverine area of Ondo state...before migrating to different water areas in the country like Lagos, Delta, Akwaibom, rivers, etc....

Oh... I see.

Thanks a bunch.

1 Like

Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by Deborah98(f): 3:29pm On Sep 03, 2020
abdullahi45:

Yeah sure. But that got nothing to do with Evolution by natural selection as purported by Darwin
okay ooooh
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by toprealman: 3:43pm On Sep 03, 2020
Thormiwah:
I am particularly amazed that how can they live on water and have none to drink, and how can he win an MSMEAward with such conditions, wow I'm impressed.
Thank you Prof Osinbajo
You live inside crude oil, do you have access to petroleum products the way you would have desired?
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by rolams(m): 4:06pm On Sep 03, 2020
I got moved after watching the video! Good job!!
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by Herbers(m): 4:34pm On Sep 03, 2020
any one with a credible way of reaching someone from the village should pls drop contact here would like to donate a borehole fro them
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by Herbers(m): 4:36pm On Sep 03, 2020
anyone with a credible information about the village should drop contact here would like to donate a borehole for the community
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by earnit3: 8:36pm On Sep 03, 2020
really..
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by baby124: 10:03pm On Sep 03, 2020
This is how Ilaje people like to live. They are water bound people because of their occupation -fishing. Don’t you see what they have done in Lagos? They need to first embrace living on land and then something can be done for them. The government needs to resettle them on land and give them license to fish their ancestral fishing.

They are even worse than Ijaw with this water living, but they are not troublesome and mind their business. So you really can’t be angry at them. This way of living however is outdated. They have to embrace living on land or they will enter the water again, even if you provide them estates to live in.
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by SweetDipBenny(m): 11:59pm On Sep 03, 2020
Video long
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by rasakkenny(m): 6:07am On Sep 04, 2020
I have been to odonla before
Re: Odonla Ilaje, Ondo: A Village That Lives On Water But Can Barely Get Water by Lorenzena(f): 8:02am On Sep 04, 2020
Herbers:
anyone with a credible information about the village should drop contact here would like to donate a borehole for the community

The guy that got the award here was my senior in secondary school and also my brother in law so I can get across to him and the community but i'm not sure if borehole can work over there though I have never been to the community.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mother And Child Burnt In Onitsha Fire Incident In Anambra (Graphic Pix) / Pic: Nigeria's Presidential Jet / "I Will Tear And Burn My Nigerian Passport, Once I Become Canadian" - Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.