Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company (18499 Views)

Lagos To Ban ‘danfo’ Buses From Passing Broad Street And Apongbon / Subsidy: Labour Gets 600 Buses From Fg / Joy As Enugu Receives 30 Luxury Buses From Innoson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Igwe12: 3:12am On Feb 22, 2011
Our governement is the most useless government in the world. We have 2 Bus manufacturing companies in Nigeria-ANNAMCO and INNOSON, and nigeria is about to buy poorly built buses from China when our manufacturing is suffering. Our leaders are fools. No wonder the white-man has low opinion of Africans.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=39276:nigeria-china-sign-n55b-mass-transit-deal&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Nigeria, China sign N5.5b mass transit deal .
Monday, 21 February 2011 00:00 By Dele Fanimo News - National .User Rating: / 0
PoorBest
THE Federal Government and its Chinese counterpart have signed a N5.5 billion urban mass transit deal, with a view to boosting the Nigerian transport sector.
Under the scheme being brokered by the Urban Development Bank of Nigeria (UDBN) for the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC), about 550 urban mass transit buses would be injected to the Nigerian transport system.
Already, NLC and TUC have signed a contract agreement with a Chinese firm, Yutong Hong Kong Limited, for the bus supply.
Money for the project fund is being drawn from the N10 billion intervention fund released to the UDBN as part of its mandate as an infrastructure development bank.
In an interview with The Guardian, Managing Director, UDBN, Adekunle Oyinloye, said upon realising the enormous challenges in the sector, government, through the Finance Ministry, released the N10 billion for mass transit operators in the country.
According to him, unlike the past schemes where buses were released to beneficiaries free of charge, the N10 billion is a revolving loan with five per cent interest rate and repayment plan of five years or less.
Oyinloye said half of the fund has been earmarked for the NLC and TUC, while the other half is meant for local councils and individuals.
His words: “Government provided N10 billion, half of which is meant for TUC and NLC, the other 50 per cent for the local government and private individuals. Twenty per cent of the N5 billion, which is N2 billion, is meant for state and local government, while 30 per cent is meant for private sector operators.”
Oyinloye, who said his bank was a Development Finance Institution (DFIO) focused on infrastructure, assured that due diligence had been embedded in the disbursement of the funds to ensure strict repayment plan.
According to him, for any private sector operator to access the fund, it must have a bank guarantee, credit insurance, an irrevocable standing payment order from state or local council and corporate guarantee that is credible.
Besides, he said organisations wishing to participate in the scheme must present their business plans showing that they are capable of operating the buses to access the fund.
He disclosed that to safeguard the fund and make sure that it was used for mass transit, the UDBN opted to acquire the buses and not release cash to beneficiaries.
The bank chief added: “So far, we have had a good number of private sector operators who have been able to access the fund. Companies like ABC Transport, Okeyson and Ekenedili Chukwu, have been able to meet our criteria and we have given them the buses. We don’t give out money, we acquire the buses and give to them.”
On the controversy that trailed the NLC-Yutong deal, Oyinloye explained that the bank was just a financial adviser in the pact, stressing that it did not introduce Yutong to NLC.
According to him, NLC had been dealing with Yutong long before the current deal, which involved the bank at advisory level.
The NLC had been sharply divided over the Yutong, China deal as some members accused the congress’ leadership of not following due process in the contract deal.
Some NLC affiliates also alleged that the deal smacked of graft, claiming that money exchanged hands during the signing of the contract agreement in China, where the union President, Abdulwaheed Omar; Chairman of Labour City Transport Service (LCTS) and Vice President, NLC
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 3:16am On Feb 22, 2011
Chinese make things cheaper than Nigerians can  undecided

What if it turns out ANNAMCO and INNOSON vehicles cost 50% more than Chinese ones?

Would you yourself buy local? undecided

HArd to be competitive making things that require electricity.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by pleep(m): 3:18am On Feb 22, 2011
This makes me so angry, buying from the  nigerian companeis would create jobs, and develop our auto industry. why are we so stupid?!
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by pleep(m): 3:19am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

Chinese make things cheaper than Nigerians can  undecided

What if it turns out ANNAMCO and INNOSON vehicles cost 50% more than Chinese ones?

Would you yourself buy local? undecided

HArd to be competitive making things that require electricity.

your right dude, nigeria is so skrewed up.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 3:26am On Feb 22, 2011

THE Federal Government and its Chinese counterpart have signed a N5.5 billion urban mass transit deal, with a view to boosting the Nigerian transport sector.
Under the scheme being brokered by the Urban Development Bank of Nigeria (UDBN) for the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC), about 550 urban mass transit buses would be injected to the Nigerian transport system.

octave:3> 5.5*10**9/150/550
ans =  6.6667e+04

So $66.7K per bus? That is a phenomenal deal, and a great price. Can anybody in Nigeria build an entire bus for under $70K? I don't think we can do that here in the US or even with Mexican labor; labor is too expensive. Maybe India can do it that cheaply.

Certainly nobody in Nigeria can.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bus costs $150k+ to build in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Igwe12: 3:27am On Feb 22, 2011
@EKU
You are just speculating. How do you know that those companies cost 50% more? And how do you know that a good negociation with those companies will not bring down any added cost and creat jobs and wealth for the country. It is people like you and your unwillingness to give Nigerian companies a chance that is destroying the country. Pathetic,

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 3:31am On Feb 22, 2011
Igwe-1:

@EKU
You are just speculating. How do you know that those companies cost 50% more? And how do you know that a good negociation with those companies will not bring down any added cost and creat jobs and wealth for the country. It is people like you and your unwillingness to give Nigerian companies a chance that is destroying the country. Pathetic,

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. I don't mind subsidizing local business in Nigeria where I feel a competitive advantage can one day emerge. Farming, light manufacturing, things like that should be subsidized.

But auto manufacturing?  undecided For that, you are on your own. . . no gov't subsidies for that. We don't even have electricity in this country, and you want to manufacture cars? Seems a bit silly, to me.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by pleep(m): 3:34am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

octave:3> 5.5*10**9/150/550
ans =  6.6667e+04

So $66.7K per bus? That is a phenomenal deal, and a great price. Can anybody in Nigeria build an entire bus for under $70K? I don't think we can do that here in the US or even with Mexican labor; labor is too expensive. Maybe India can do it that cheaply.

Certainly nobody in Nigeria can.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bus costs $150k+ to build in Nigeria.

that is a great price, but what about the quality? with these kind of things you get what you pay for and china is not known for quality.

also wouldn't it be better for the govnt to invest in the domestic market? this would create tons of jobs remember,
that 150k is going DIRECTLY into the nigerian economy instead of china's. despite the extra cost isnt it worth it?

its the peoples money right? haha
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 3:40am On Feb 22, 2011
pleep:

that is a great price,  but what about the quality? with these kind of things you get what you pay for and china is not known for quality.

also wouldn't it be better for the govnt to invest in the domestic market? this would create tons of jobs remember,
that 150k is going DIRECTLY into the nigerian economy instead of china's. despite the extra cost isnt it worth it?

its the peoples money right? haha

Ask the people sef if they want to pay that much more money.

And are you really arguing that a Chinese car is going to be of lower quality than a Nigerian one?  undecided What is your basis for saying this, given their much greater experience in this sector than us?

Anyway, it isn't as if I'm anti-Nigerian. But buying overpriced goods just because they are local is effectively a subsidy to the local manufacturer. So you have to really ask yourself:
A) Is this money I'm giving to the manufacturers truly the best use of Nigeria's money?
B) Am I sure I want to spend lots of money propping up a company with a flawed business model?

Like I said earlier, I don't mind subsidizing things which I think we'll have a competitive advantage in. Until there is electricity in Nigeria, we don't have an edge in anything that uses large amounts of electricity as an input. So no point subsidizing it.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Onlytruth(m): 4:14am On Feb 22, 2011
@eku_bear

I can't believe that an educated person like you is making this argument that we should always buy from outside because it is nominally cheaper. shocked shocked shocked

This is part of why I don't believe that education is the only needed qualification by a public servant.

That is why we have people with top degrees brought in from outside Nigeria (like Aganga) who come in with fake pedigree and fail on their jobs.

My friend, Nigeria wastes more money on whole lot of things; spending a little more (assuming that is the case in this story) to support local industry and create jobs is FAR MORE ECONOMICALLY SENSIBLE then buying from the Chinese.

Do you know the IMMEDIATE impact of such action on manufacturing companies in Nigeria?
Would you believe that it could actually lead to laying off of staff and closing shop in Nigeria?
Would you believe that it can push these companies to more serious African countries like Ghana?
Do you think that there will EVER be a time when a Nigerian company can produce cheaper than Chinese ones, without first developing?
How can they develop without some form of patronage by the Nigerian government who is on the other hand supporting their foreign competitors?

Nigeria is a hopeless country mainly because even the educated citizens are either too dumb or too bigoted, or BOTH!
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by aljharem(m): 4:23am On Feb 22, 2011
Onlytruth:

@eku_bear

I can't believe that an educated person like you is making this argument that we should always buy from outside because it is nominally cheaper. shocked shocked shocked

This is part of why I don't believe that education is the only needed qualification by a public servant.

That is why we have people with top degrees brought in from outside Nigeria (like Aganga) who come in with fake pedigree and fail on their jobs.

My friend, Nigeria wastes more money on whole lot of things; spending a little more (assuming that is the case in this story) to support local industry and create jobs is FAR MORE ECONOMICALLY SENSIBLE then buying from the Chinese.

Do you know the IMMEDIATE impact of such action on manufacturing companies in Nigeria?
Would you believe that it could actually lead to laying off of staff and closing shop in Nigeria?
Would you believe that it can push these companies to more serious African countries like Ghana?
Do you think that there will EVER be a time when a Nigerian company can produce cheaper than Chinese ones, without first developing?
How can they develop without some form of patronage by the Nigerian government who is on the other hand supporting their foreign competitors?

Nigeria is a hopeless country mainly because even the educated citizens are either too dumb or too bigoted, or BOTH!

brother why are u talking like this,.,. we should be encouraging each other not discouraging

nigeria is not hopless

it will onlu be if we keep voting based on ethnicity and religiou like we are doing in nigeria

nigeria will some day be great cheesy

and you and i will enjoy the great nigeria,.,. one day before we die wink
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Nobody: 4:24am On Feb 22, 2011
Onlytruth, you know, sometimes I wonder if there are some foreign elements influencing some of these clearly senseless decisions made by the Nigerian govt. It's hard to see how even a primary school student would not know it was more beneficial to boost local manufacturers with such contracts than to hand them to the Chinese. I mean, really?

Or maybe someone somewhere was bribed by the deep pocketed Chinese?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by aljharem(m): 4:26am On Feb 22, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Onlytruth, you know, sometimes I wonder if there are some foreign elements influencing some of these clearly senseless decisions made by the Nigerian govt. It's hard to see how even a primary school student would not know it was more beneficial to boost local manufacturers with such contracts than to hand them to the Chinese. I mean, really?

yes there are foreign elements influencing the decisions in nigeria today

from electricity to currency etc

not only nigeria but africa
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 4:30am On Feb 22, 2011
@Onlytruth: I'm not arguing against patronage. I just want us to first grab (patronize) the low-hanging fruit that is easiest to get, rather than the fruit at the top of the tree that is more difficult/costly to obtain.

Nigeria right now cannot beat China at manufacturing cars. But building a factory that supplies a single component for a car (e.g., tires)? Well, do that well, make sure the plant is supplied with natural gas/rubber/etc so that you can produce at competitive prices, and you can probably steal the Chinese tire business in Nigeria and all of West Africa. Once you secure that business, you move into other components of the car. Until one day you manufacture (at competitive prices) all the components of a car.

Anyone who is seriously suggesting that Nigeria should spend enormous amounts of resources patronizing car manufacturers without ensuring that one of the inputs to said car (electricity) is available at reasonable prices simply doesn't have a clue what is going on.

Otoh, if government policy will allow massive subsidies to companies who aren't otherwise economically viable. . . well, I too can start an economically unviable business, and thus demand to be propped up by the government  grin

EkuBear Aerospace can produce airplanes at 3X the cost of the big names. Let us buy from EkuBear Aerospace though, in the name of patriotism  grin
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Nobody: 4:34am On Feb 22, 2011
alj harem said:

yes there are foreign elements influencing the decisions in nigeria today

from electricity to currency etc

not only nigeria but africa

I especially suspect the electricity one. It's like whatever we do and however many power plants we open and refurbish, we never seem to go above 4000 mw max. It's almost as though some external power placed a 'limit' on permissible power generation level.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Onlytruth(m): 4:39am On Feb 22, 2011
ROSSIKE:

Are the foreign elements also influencing youths like Eku_bear?

Would Eku_bear take the same position if those automobile factories are in Lagos or Ogun State?

What baffles me more is that, these types of youths even fail to see that if ANNAMCO or INNOSON fails, no one will attempt to start similar company in ANY part of Nigeria.
Their failure is Nigeria's failure. cool undecided cool

@ Eku_bear,

Nigeria has been producing car parts for YEARS.

When are we going to start producing complete cars?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by aljharem(m): 4:41am On Feb 22, 2011
ROSSIKE:

alj harem said:

I especially suspect the electricity one. It's like whatever we do and however many power plants we open and refurbish, we never seem to go above 4000 mw max. It's almost as though some external power placed a 'limit' on permissible power generation level.

i know,.,. it is what happens when groups are colonialised
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Onlytruth(m): 4:43am On Feb 22, 2011
alj harem:

i know,.,. it is what happens when groups are colonialised

You mean when groups carry out self colonization. undecided
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by aljharem(m): 4:44am On Feb 22, 2011
Onlytruth:

Would Eku_bear take the same position if those automobile factories are in Lagos or Ogun State?

What baffles me more is that, these types of youths even fail to see that if ANNAMCO or INNOSON fails, no one will attempt to start similar company in ANY part of Nigeria.

@ Eku_bear,

ok, i though you use to boast the eastern region is biafra,.,., if true, then why should people make the business grow undecided

if false which i know it is, then you are right,.,. the sooner we invest in our companies the better it is to leave this hell hole called africa mentality

but can i ask you a question, would you invest or buy from that company smiley
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by aljharem(m): 4:49am On Feb 22, 2011
Onlytruth:

You mean when groups carry out self colonization. undecided

no, i mean when groups are been colonized and ruled by the people that colonized them

just days ago, IMF told nigeria to devalue her money

why can't they say that to UK or EU,., why nigeria

i remember when OBJ wanted to do electricity,., he went to the world bank to borrow money

getting there he was told to will be given the money but he has to buy the turbines from USA or UK ,., if not,.,. NO borrowing

meanwhile it is this world bank that the UK and USA control,.,,. do you see

remember interest (about 1000% depending on infaltion of you currency) and other stuffs are still there

africa is a sad place cry
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 4:53am On Feb 22, 2011
Onlytruth:

Always that, isn't it? There must be an anti-Igbo sentiment behind my position, right? If ANNAMCO/INNOSON were Yoruba-owned businesses, I'd want the gov't to piss away money subsidizing them?
I'm not a fan of gov't propping up failed business models, and have never been. If a mumu Yoruba businessman decides to invest heavily in a business in which he has no comparative advantage, I certainly will not be the one to advocate that anyone saves him.

See, this is the type of business which makes sense in Yorubaland at this time: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-18/nestle-nigeria-full-year-profit-climbs-29-as-sales-rise.html

A chocolate factory in Ogun State. Food manufacturing/processing is something that doesn't require massive amounts of tech to execute well. From there, you can progress further up the tech chain. This is the way of the world. The US was not a high-end tech country back in the day; it was a nation primarily of farmers and exporters of raw goods. Then they progressed over time up the tech chain.

@ Eku_bear,

The car parts are of terrible quality dude, or high prices. My dad had me buy a bunch of tires for his car and ship them to him. Somehow it was cheaper for a tire probably manufactured in China, sent to Houston, then loaded on a plane and flown to Nigeria to be cheaper for him than just buying locally  undecided

So today in Nigeria, there is STILL opportunity to setup a tire plant for high-end vehicles. Just make sure the prices are good and the quality high, and you'll make money.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Onlytruth(m): 4:56am On Feb 22, 2011
alj harem:

ok, i though you use to boast the eastern region is biafra,.,., if true, then why should people make the business grow undecided

if false which i know it is, then you are right,.,. the sooner we invest in our companies the better it is to leave this hell hole called africa mentality

but can i ask you a question, would you invest or buy from that company smiley

Eastern region WAS Biafra. It could still be Biafra if Nigeria disintegrates tomorrow.  cool

"One Nigeria" is not by mouth; you should demonstrate it by action. And by that I mean stop being st00pid, and making us remember what Biafra could have been. In Biafra, those companies would compete with Daimler-Benz. cool

However, I don't think this has anything to do with Biafra. This is just a st00pid economic move by someone in government. It affects ALL Nigerian manufacturing because it tells them in no uncertain terms that they can never be good enough.

Talk about one tying his own feet.  undecided
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by alex101(m): 4:57am On Feb 22, 2011
Very unfortunate, but not amazed, because in nigeria, good is bad, and bad is good.  angry
This was just like replacing Amodu with an oyibo man in the super eagles, all because of corruption.
I believe whoever is responsible for this chineese contract must have been bribed, to the extent that he/she was willing to throw the local auto industry under the bus- what a shame angry

I will keep saying it that there no basis for unity in that dungeon called nigeria.
Is this how the nigeria "go take better"?
This oil don finish this country, Too many lazy folks in govt who don't wanna promote local ingenuity that would create and spread wealth.
To these clowns in govt, as long as the oil cash keep flowing (monthly allocation and other goodies), manufacturing is not needed. Well, we shall see how long nigeria can the massive size of govt that is growing day by day, with just oil money. cool
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 5:05am On Feb 22, 2011
Do you guys actually put your money where your mouth is? Do you buy locally made goods when they cost far more than the equivalent abroad? If not, then imo you are being hypocrites.

For me, the things that Nigeria makes cheaper (local food items, for example), I stock up on. But if I need an LCD, I'll buy one from where it is most cheaply made. Same with a computer. . . I'll buy from where it is most cheaply made.

I bet for 99% of you, you are sitting there typing on a laptop/computer assembled outside of Nigeria.

alex101:

This oil don finish this country, Too many lazy folks in govt who don't wanna promote local ingenuity that would create and spread wealth.
To these clowns in govt, as long as the oil cash keep flowing (monthly allocation and other goodies), manufacturing is not needed. Well, we shall see how long nigeria can the massive size of govt that is growing day by day, with just oil money. cool

If "local ingenuity" = "buy my widget X for 3 times as much as you can get it outside of Nigeria", then let me come too and feed from the trough.

Local ingenuity ko, government subsidy ni.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Onlytruth(m): 5:07am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

Always that, isn't it? There must be an anti-Igbo sentiment behind my position, right? If ANNAMCO/INNOSON were Yoruba-owned businesses, I'd want the gov't to piss away money subsidizing them?
I'm not a fan of gov't propping up failed business models, and have never been. If a mumu Yoruba businessman decides to invest heavily in a business in which he has no comparative advantage, I certainly will not be the one to advocate that anyone saves him.

See, this is the type of business which makes sense in Yorubaland at this time: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-18/nestle-nigeria-full-year-profit-climbs-29-as-sales-rise.html

A chocolate factory in Ogun State. Food manufacturing/processing is something that doesn't require massive amounts of tech to execute well. From there, you can progress further up the tech chain. This is the way of the world. The US was not a high-end tech country back in the day; it was a nation primarily of farmers and exporters of raw goods. Then they progressed over time up the tech chain.
The car parts are of terrible quality dude, or high prices. My dad had me buy a bunch of tires for his car and ship them to him. Somehow it was cheaper for a tire probably manufactured in China, sent to Houston, then loaded on a plane and flown to Nigeria to be cheaper for him than just buying locally  undecided

So today in Nigeria, there is STILL opportunity to setup a tire plant for high-end vehicles. Just make sure the prices are good and the quality high, and you'll make money.

Well, we share seriously divergent views on this issue.
I believe that local manufacturing needs some form of subsidy to be able to grow past beginning stages.
Even old manufacturing companies have been aided in advanced countries, so expecting a developing country not to aid her own local manufacturing is disingenuous IMHO.

This is how Nigeria has failed to develop local technology for 50 years.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 5:10am On Feb 22, 2011
alex101:

I will keep saying it that there no basis for unity in that dungeon called nigeria.
Is this how the nigeria "go take better"?

If this is not a lazy way of winning an argument one ought instead to spend time actually convincing people of one's side, I don't know what else qualifies at this point.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Onlytruth(m): 5:12am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

Do you guys actually put your money where your mouth is? Do you buy locally made goods when they cost far more than the equivalent abroad? If not, then imo you are being hypocrites.

For me, the things that Nigeria makes cheaper (local food items, for example), I stock up on. But if I need an LCD, I'll buy one from where it is most cheaply made. Same with a computer. . . I'll buy from where it is most cheaply made.

I bet for 99% of you, you are sitting there typing on a laptop/computer assembled outside of Nigeria.

If "local ingenuity" = "buy my widget X for 3 times as much as you can get it outside of Nigeria", then let me come too and feed from the trough.

In all honesty, we (you and me) share widely different views on this. And I would go a step to say that the difference is cultural.
I believe I can start a manufacturing (even if low quality at first) and grow from there.
You believe you must be perfect from day one.

Well, there is a Nigeria assembled computer called Zinox and it did not start perfect.
That is part of why I lament Nigeria's failures because a Biafra would have gone very far.
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by ekubear1: 5:18am On Feb 22, 2011
If electricity is solved, then Nigerian manufacturing becomes a lot more competitive and probably won't need subsidies.

Why would the gov't need to subsidize anyone if you have a country where you can pay a worker $100/month, and spend (for example) $0.15 per kWh for electricity?

At that point, we have a significant advantage against the Chinese and anybody else, at least when competing in the West African market for many different sorts of goods.

Asking for subsidies without facing the electricity problem is putting the cart before the horse.

Onlytruth:

In all honesty, we (you and me) share widely different views on this. And I would go a step to say that the difference is cultural.
I believe I can start a manufacturing (even if low quality at first) and grow from there.
You believe you must be perfect from day one.
No. My point is, hunt for opportunities where you have an advantage. . . or at worst, a small disadvantage. Don't hunt for businesses to invest in in which you have a significant disadvantage and require being propped up by the government to do well. I'm pretty much a pure capitalist. You seem to be some sort of socialist, I guess.

Well, there is a Nigeria assembled computer called Zinox and it did not start perfect.
That is part of why I lament Nigeria's failures because a Biafra would have gone very far.
Are you using a local laptop, or a foreign one?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Nobody: 5:21am On Feb 22, 2011
Na which country no like better thing?

@ bus manufacturing company ko. Atleast Enugu had sympathy enough to buy from one of the "Bus manufacturing Company".
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by alex101(m): 5:23am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

Seriously Eku, when do you think nigeria should try its hand at manufacturing automobile?
Also, are you 100% sure the locally made one is more expensive than the foreign (china) made one?
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Onlytruth(m): 5:30am On Feb 22, 2011
eku_bear:

If electricity is solved, then Nigerian manufacturing becomes a lot more competitive and probably won't need subsidies.

Why would the gov't need to subsidize anyone if you have a country where you can pay a worker $100/month, and spend (for example) $0.15 per kWh for electricity?

At that point, we have a significant advantage against the Chinese and anybody else, at least when competing in the West African market for many different sorts of goods.

Asking for subsidies without facing the electricity problem is putting the cart before the horse.
No. My point is, hunt for opportunities where you have an advantage. . . or at worst, a small disadvantage. Don't hunt for businesses to invest in in which you have a significant disadvantage and require being propped up by the government to do well. I'm pretty much a pure capitalist. You seem to be some sort of socialist, I guess.
Are you using a local laptop, or a foreign one?

I believe that we've had 50 years for us to generate electricity, but failed to do so.
Therefore waiting for that before we start manufacturing is not a good idea. In fact I believe that we should start manufacturing everything TODAY because in the process we will develop the technical skill set to defeat the power monster.
You see my point?
As for the computer, Zinox is the top Nigerian brand the last time I checked; they produce everything from laptops to servers.

I AM A CAPITALIST TOO. cool

However, I am an American brand of capitalist. No strategic industry develops without government support (grants and patronage).
Re: Nigeria To Buy Buses From China, When We Have 2 Bus Manufacturing Company by Kobojunkie: 5:30am On Feb 22, 2011
I believe Quality is the issue . .  . We are still recovering from the INEC DDC-Machine situation as a nation, and from that we must have learnt that it in our best interest to pay for QUALITY at this time as we cannot afford anything less YET. If you can show that machines made in Nigeria are of equal or better quality than their Chinese made counterparts at this time, please do. Else, let's do away with the BLIND patriotism bull and be realistic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Tinubu, Yahaya Bello In Closed-Door Meeting / Edo: Why Deputy Governor's Budgetary Allocation Was Slashed - Speaker, Agbebaku / Youths Captured Boko Haram Members In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.