Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:58 AM

About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes (57033 Views)

Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State / Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours / 19 Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Okrika, Rivers State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by codemaniacs: 12:06pm On Sep 05, 2020
zz

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Farki: 12:07pm On Sep 05, 2020
MelesZenawi:

They threw away their fathers name just to be like Europe but still they don't behave like europeans..

Are there militants in london?

but u will find many here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Troubles
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by LukasPodolski: 12:08pm On Sep 05, 2020
oneeast3:

Show us the schools they established elsewhere outside Lagos that predated DMGS or CKC. Those establishments are the indicators of settlement in an area.
Baptist Academy, Lagos : 1855
(2) CMS Grammar School, Lagos: 1859
(3) Methodist Boys High School, Lagos : 1878
(4) Methodist Girls High School, Lagos : 1879
(5) Hope Waddell Training Institute, Calabar: 1895
(6) Saint Annes School, Ibadan : 1896
(7) The old Wesley college, Elekuro (now Wesley college of science, Ibadan) : 1905
( Abeokuta Grammar School, Ogun : 1908
(9) Kings College , Lagos : 1909
(10) Alhuda College, Zaria : 1910
(11) Ijebu-Ode Grammar School, Ogun : 1913
(12) Eko Boys High School, Lagos : 1913
(13) Government Secondary School, Ilorin : 1914
(13) Government College Katsina-Ala : 1914
(14) Etinan Institute, Etinan, Akwa Ibom: 1915
(15) Ondo Boys High School, Ondo : 1919
(16) Baptist Boys High School, Abeokuta : 1923
(17) Methodist College, Uzuakoli : 1923
(18) Dennis Memorial Grammar School, Anambra: 1925
(19) Queen's College, Lagos: 1927
(19) Ibadan Government College, Oyo State founded in 1927
(19) Barewa College, Zaria, founded in 1927
(19) Government College Umuahia found in 1927
(23) St Gregory's College, Lagos : 1928
(24) Aggrey Memorial College, Arochukwu : 1931
(25) Igbobi College, Yaba : 1932
(26) St. Teresa’s College Ibadan : 1932
(27) Christ the King College, Onitsha, Anambra :1933
(28) Christ's School, Ado Ekiti : 1933
(29) Holy Rosary College (HRC) Enugu founded

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Bolosiye: 12:08pm On Sep 05, 2020
etibaba:
Rivers and Bayelsa state have really funny names and surnames sha. Heineken, lyon, Manager, Suffernomore, Inspector, Advantage, not forgetting the chairman of a political party "Secondus".
..... unlike the rivers people. The people of ijaw and itsekiri stock like the calabar, also had long contracts with the europeans elements, but 4 two different motives. With the calabar it was mainly for slave trade and exploitations, but the ijaw and itsekiri were basically for trade reasons, so the business of slave trading never gain currency with these tribes. And so the whites saw that, there was a need to kind of assimilate with these people so as to have a flourish trade, hence they inter- married. This explains why you see the foreign surname common with people of ijaw and itsekiri who are situated in the present day bayelsa state.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Efewestern: 12:08pm On Sep 05, 2020
chrisifeanyi:
[s] Give ijaw man food, he will forget his surname and answer yours. [/s]

You just had to demonize an entire tribe.

Shame!

3 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by oneeast3: 12:10pm On Sep 05, 2020
Read my post again before posting OP. Be specific. I said, which school in Rivers state is older than DMGS and CKC.

LukasPodolski:

Baptist Academy, Lagos : 1855
(2) CMS Grammar School, Lagos: 1859
(3) Methodist Boys High School, Lagos : 1878
(4) Methodist Girls High School, Lagos : 1879
(5) Hope Waddell Training Institute, Calabar: 1895
(6) Saint Annes School, Ibadan : 1896
(7) The old Wesley college, Elekuro (now Wesley college of science, Ibadan) : 1905
( Abeokuta Grammar School, Ogun : 1908
(9) Kings College , Lagos : 1909
(10) Alhuda College, Zaria : 1910
(11) Ijebu-Ode Grammar School, Ogun : 1913
(12) Eko Boys High School, Lagos : 1913
(13) Government Secondary School, Ilorin : 1914
(13) Government College Katsina-Ala : 1914
(14) Etinan Institute, Etinan, Akwa Ibom: 1915
(15) Ondo Boys High School, Ondo : 1919
(16) Baptist Boys High School, Abeokuta : 1923
(17) Methodist College, Uzuakoli : 1923
(18) Dennis Memorial Grammar School, Anambra: 1925
(19) Queen's College, Lagos: 1927
(19) Ibadan Government College, Oyo State founded in 1927
(19) Barewa College, Zaria, founded in 1927
(19) Government College Umuahia found in 1927
(23) St Gregory's College, Lagos : 1928
(24) Aggrey Memorial College, Arochukwu : 1931
(25) Igbobi College, Yaba : 1932
(26) St. Teresa’s College Ibadan : 1932
(27) Christ the King College, Onitsha, Anambra :1933
(28) Christ's School, Ado Ekiti : 1933
(29) Holy Rosary College (HRC) Enugu founded
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by codemaniacs: 12:12pm On Sep 05, 2020
zz

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by EM123: 12:12pm On Sep 05, 2020
MrOjay1:
I've noticed the for a long time now that many Rivers state indigenes bear westernized surnames like Blankson, Douglas, Perricosta, Souza, Graham, Peterson, McColumbus, etc.

I have seen indigenes of Rivers who bear the above listed surnames alongside other ones too numerous to mention.Was there any kind of foreign culture influx in Rivers State that influenced these surnames?? Or have they just been bearing these kind of surnames right from inception?

I need opinions on this.
rivers indigenes don't bear dat name , only people from ijaw dat answer such names , have u not heard of names like , office , governor , goverment , chairman , president , council, easter , christmas , councilor , senator , commissioner and other names . Am from rivers state and i bear igbo surname.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by peterbello(m): 12:15pm On Sep 05, 2020
oneeast3:
Europeans came to Onitsha and settled down long before settling in the Niger Delta. Europeans established so many premier colleges in Onitsha like DMGS, CKC, QRC etc,, but it didn't make the Onitsha people that started having contacts with Europeans way back in 1500AD to threw away their origin.

Even the oldest missions in the old eastern region comprising of Rivers state were established by the British in Onitsha. It proves another point that they settled more in Onitsha than anywhere in the present day Niger delta, but still yet the people the British met in Onitsha never threw away their origin.

I knew someone would still come and tell us a big fat lie just to boast about his region. I didn't have to wait for too long. So, the whites flew in or they teleported straight to Onitsha without going through the coastal parts abi? Guy, if you don't know history, take a seat at the back, and keep shut and learn. Everything is not ethnicism.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Customtest: 12:16pm On Sep 05, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Because the slave traders of earlier centuries were not interested in building schools.
The Yorubas always wanting to steal other people's glory

The Easten ijaws are the most exposed tribe in nigeria
Opobo and Bonny.

Opobo kingdom was a city state with her own ambassadors to European countries

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

colonial mentality and self hate is what caused it.

just like MelesZenawi has said, they threw away their native names.

it has nothing to do with trade, as the br:itish were more interested in wiping off and subjugating the indigenous populations rather than helping them.

for lagos names, the british brought black brazilians and other people of African descent from the American continent to replace the indigenous lagos population. it could be the same with the ijaw, igbos and some people from south south.

even Samuel Ajayi Crowther was not Yoruba, the british just added ajayi to deceive the yorubas in lagos.
yet wrote the Yoruba Bible?

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by oneeast3: 12:20pm On Sep 05, 2020
peterbello:

I knew someone would still come and tell us a big fat lie just to boast about his region. I didn't have to wait for too long. So, the whites flew in or they teleported straight to Onitsha without going through the coastal parts abi? Guy, if you don't know history, take a seat at the back, and keep shut and learn. Everything is not ethnicism.

Commonsense is not common. Tell us why they passed all those places and didn't establish a single school. Passing through a place is different from settling in the same place. English language is hard. If they actually settled in Rivers state before going to Onitsha, then there should be schools built in PORT HARCOURT in 1800. But it's not the case here.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AwkaFinest: 12:20pm On Sep 05, 2020
AK481:
Those who don’t like “rumuokoro” decides to use English name to hide their igbo identities.

Mumu. Do Ikwerres bear these names or the Riverine people?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by RexTramadol1: 12:21pm On Sep 05, 2020
etibaba:
Rivers and Bayelsa state have really funny names and surnames sha. Heineken, lyon, Manager, Suffernomore, Inspector, Advantage, not forgetting the chairman of a political party "Secondus".

I know of a man in Bayelsa who named his kids

Chairman, governor,senator, president

I was shocked af
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 12:21pm On Sep 05, 2020
AreaFada2:

Yoruba is where you see educated people but not enlightened. They assume they know better and thereby rush into arguments. grin cheesy

At that point there was no Yoruba identity in 16th century m. It was Awori, Ijebu, Egba, Oyo, Owo, Ekiti, Ife, etc. Hausa people later called the above group of people Yoruba, meaning traitors, untrustworthy

Go to Idugaran and find out about history of Lagos.

LASG might the have the history on its website. It had it during Fashola regime.
@ emboldened shows you know nothing

There is no such thing as Yariiba or Yoruba in Hausa or Fulani Language.

The Yaribaza slag which roughly translates to " Yoruba bastards" was formed when Awolowo played opposition to the coalition of Hausa and igbo government in the first republic. .

I repeat Oba of Lagos has no Land of his own in Lagos. Hence, he needs to form political affiliations for relevance.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by codemaniacs: 12:21pm On Sep 05, 2020
zz
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Customtest: 12:23pm On Sep 05, 2020
oneeast3:
Read my post again before posting OP. Be specific. I said, which school in Rivers state is older than DMGS and CKC.

The first Anglican church in nigeria is st Stephens in grand bonny kingdom

Men of hinterlands know nothing
Always arguing blindly

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Deborah98(f): 12:23pm On Sep 05, 2020
FGonline:
how do I reach u nne
PM I will let you know

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 05, 2020
Most of those names were giving to them by the Europeans who traded with the Ijaws.

Then some other Ijaws willing adopted the foreign names as theirs, as a show of their loyalty.

For example, Jaja of Opobo, though originally an Igbo man, but since he grew up in Ijaw land, he was imbibed and initiated into Ijaw culture. His Ijaw name Jubo Jubogha.

But when the Europeans came to Bonny, and met Jubo Jubogha, they couldn’t pronounce the name ,so they initialized it to Jay-Jay.

Na Ijaw people come use their tongue change am to Jaja later on.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AwkaFinest: 12:24pm On Sep 05, 2020
oneeast3:

So why is it that the oldest colleges established by British in the old eastern region were all in Onitsha?

Where were the headquarters of old eastern region?
Who was the majority of old eastern region?
Which tribe were in charge of the old eastern region?

This is to tell you how tribalistic the ibos have been since the old eastern region.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AwkaFinest: 12:25pm On Sep 05, 2020
lexy2014:

[s]Ijaw people don't bear western surnames. It's kalabari people who western surnames[/s]

Stop writing what you know nothing about. Western names are very common with the riverine peopls of Rivers and Bayelsa.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by forgiveness: 12:26pm On Sep 05, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Uh... No.

It was the Ijaw.

Benin were the first to come into contact with any European and it was in 1470s with the Portuguese.

Can you tell us the year Ijaw came in contact with European?
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by blakkydikky(m): 12:26pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

it has nothing to do with trade, as the br:itish were more interested in wiping off and subjugating the indigenous populations rather than helping them.

for lagos names, the british brought black brazilians and other people of African descent from the American continent to replace the indigenous lagos population. it could be the same with the ijaw, igbos and some people from south south.

even Samuel Ajayi Crowther was not Yoruba, the british just added ajayi to deceive the yorubas in lagos.
Look at you. Where did you see or read your history? So,Ajayi himself wouldnt know where he came from,right?
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by ntyce(m): 12:26pm On Sep 05, 2020
DeejaywonDJ1:
Some change their name due to religion and some to command respect due to their education and class and Most of them are descendants of freed slaves returnees as well, the Amaros, Saros. The returnees mostly resided in the Lagos Colony, with substantial populations in Abeokuta and Ibadan. Some also settled in Calabar, Port Harcourt and other cities in the Niger Delta. Though many were originally dedicated Anglophiles in Nigeria, they later adopted an indigenous and patriotic attitude on Nigerian affairs due to a rise in discrimination in the 1880s, and were later known as cultural nationalists.

Notable families of the returnees are:

Davies
Cole
Fernández
Fernando
Coker
Sawyer
Ransome Kuti
Bright
Smith
Collins
Fergusson
Thompsons
Vivour
Williams
Briggs
Clarke
etc.

Very true, Abeokuta has names like - Vaughan (pronounced Von), Coker, Craig, Ransome Kuti, Smith, Sawyer, McGregor, Williams, Jones, Allen-Taylor etc native to the indigenes.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AreaFada2: 12:26pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

now you have reduced yourself to insults because you have not proof or points..

during that era there was an OYO identity.

the term Yoruba or Yaruba comes from the Yoruba deity Oya. Yoruba is a combination of Ayo/Oya and oru and Oba.

it means the Joy of God/Goddess/Kings/queens.
it also mean the work of God/Goddess/Kings/queens.

Yorubas always combine words and they existed in the Oyo empire which had many kingdoms within it.
That Ayo Oya story to remove stigma of traitor. Never heard it from my people in Eastern Yorubaland. Why did Egba resist such a name for so long and used to write Yoruba and Egba if the name is so wonderful? grin

It became acceptable out of pragmatism for 'unity' and as the awareness of traitor tag waned.

Of a truth, Yoruba initially referred to Oyo. Of course they had the most contact with Muslims up North.

3 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Nobody: 12:27pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

like I said to those who quoted me on this issue:

haven't you seen videos of white people speaking yoruba fluently...

if a black american or jamaican or haitian or brazilian e.t.c. who can speak yoruba fluently comes to Nigeria and tells you his name is seun ayoola I am sure you all will believe his yoruba.

not to talk of an era where Yoruba will be spoken by almost everyone in the SW making it easier to learn. if a black person from the american continent speaks igbo to you and tells you his name is ekene chukwudi I'm sure you will also believe. grin grin grin
well, no history book has ever told me he's not Yoruba. And you think the West rather than westernise a black, will choose to Africanise him in a period of European chauvinism by giving him a black name?
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Thegoodone13(m): 12:27pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

. Ajayi spoke Yoruba and wrote Igbo alphabet and Bible. He is a Yoruba man stop misleading people.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by oneeast3: 12:29pm On Sep 05, 2020
Kinematics, you are talking about post colonial era. We are talking about pre colonial and colonial period itself. There was nothing like regional government during colonial era. What we had in the colonial era was north and south which was being administered by the colonial masters starting with Lugard. Those colleges I mentioned earlier were built by the colonial masters, so it has nothing to do with how tribalistic anyone was.

AwkaFinest:

Where were the headquarters of old eastern region?
Who was the majority of old eastern region?
Which tribe were in charge of the old eastern region?

This is to tell you how tribalistic the ibos have been since the old eastern region.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Exmilitant(m): 12:29pm On Sep 05, 2020
Mozino007:
Chai this guy na portharcourt person
Ikwerre. Some communities in my LGA Obio akpor has boundaries with Okrika, like Woji, Oginigb and Elelenwo.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Daum: 12:30pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

the Yorubas taught the binis everything they know today...

the british were not here to trade or any useless missionary work..

what did they have that the Africans did not already have

the british and their e:uropean friends came to Africa to steal, to kill and to destroy Africa and replace the indigenous population.

You can lie
Weldone sir

Okay agreed, you taught us and we perfected it.
Bye bye...
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by GEEBITE: 12:30pm On Sep 05, 2020
Ajayi Crowther was not Yoruba had me in stitches
Yet he was the first Zman to translate the Bible to an African Language.The Yoruba he translated it to was even his local dialect spoken in Oyo state.
codemaniacs:

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AwkaFinest: 12:31pm On Sep 05, 2020
Exmilitant:
maybe you are talking rubbish! Okrikans, kalabari, bonny and some elderly ijaws speaks igbo very fluently how come?

Chisos, which kind lie be this?
Okrika and Kalabari speak ibo?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (22) (Reply)

Difference Between Hausa And Fulani Turban (Photos) / Town Where Death Awaits Albinos / 10 First-class Nigerian Kings Die In 6 Months {FULL LIST}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.