Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? (36163 Views)

Now That Aba Is About To Have 24/7 Electricity... / With Peter Obi, We Will Understand The Devils Stopping Nigeria's Unity / Are There Places In Nigeria With 24/7 Electricity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Greatzeus(m): 10:26am On Sep 07, 2020
kikero:

Because we sell power at a cost less than what we produce it, complicated by the fact that as much as 40-50% of people don't pay their bills, and even when there is meter, some bypass the meter....that means that the power sector does not have enough money to make the needed improvements

In fact the power sector is in a one trillion naira hole financially . All the discos and gencos are running at a loss.

Modified

Going through the thread I see that people are ready to blame everyone, Buhari and GEJ inclusive for the power problem.

The reason why we don't have light is because in Nigeria we think we can get a Ferrari for the price of a bicycle.

Yesterday I told someone the actual cost of power in this country as related by ex CBN bigwig Moghalu, and he accused me of lying.

We know power costs a lot of money, but accepting that truth, that in order to have stable power we need to pay as much as 60 naira per kWh is too painful

So we blame the Hausas, Buhari, the IMF, GEJ, the discos, the gencos, the executive list , etc etc.

Meanwhile most of us refuse to pay our bills, chase electricity workers with cutlasses , bypass meters, and cheat on our bills and we expect light 24/7

I think Nigerians tend to live in sugar candy land too much
If I can read just one intelligent unbiased educative comment like this on nairaland a day,it means I haven't wasted my time. God bless you sir. Truth is bitter,someone blaming PMB as usual.

6 Likes

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Adiwana: 11:08am On Sep 07, 2020
irepnaija4eva:

My brother with 6 billion dollar.. Spread between the state with power stations will be the game changer

Kainji dam can take care of the north with no hassle..
EDO state has power station.
Imo state has.
Enugu coal power station.
PH has power station.
Akwa ibom,
Ekiti state.
Lagos..

Bro all State has the potential to power themselves.

Anambra and Imo have the largest gas deposits in the nation. Investors can troop in and set up gas power stations there and sell to neighboring states. It's no brainier at all

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Mistakemaker: 11:09am On Sep 07, 2020
highness25:

I thought you had something reasonable to tell him, I didn't know you just wanted to spill this type of thing you just commented.
I don't engage trolls and unreasonable people.. Jụọ ase
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by ABlAstate: 11:15am On Sep 07, 2020
Mistakemaker:

People have been saying you are jobless and frustrated, is it true?
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Perfectbeing(m): 11:41am On Sep 07, 2020
allthingsgood:

True but that's a long term goal. As at today tho, can u pay for 24/7 electricity

This question is getting stale. Are all the Ghanaians that are getting 24/7 light billionaires?? Nigeria should first give us the 24/7 light first before saying if we can or cannot pay for it..

2 Likes

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by juman(m): 11:45am On Sep 07, 2020
Buhari is the problem o.
More than five years in power nothing significantly achieved.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by oyatz(m): 12:39pm On Sep 07, 2020
Faithful007:
Nigeria's power issue is multi faceted. Actually we should be generating more than we do now, like about 15000mw from available capacity. But there are three problems. Firstly there are gas shortages due to poor gas network. Then the hydro plants experience low head or something like that. Thirdly, our transmission network needs overhaul. Also gas is still expensive due to high production cost rising from insecurity and lack of indigenous companies, from there consumers don't pay back (owing arrears) so the discos owe the gencos, about 500 billion ngn currently. So the gencos find it more difficult to purchase gas. The first step to sufficient power is to rebuild the the entire gas network, from there we can now have modular plants that will not need a centralized transmission system. But before that, gas production costs in Nigeria need to come down so that investors can be attracted to rebuild our gas network. These are the major issues.

How is CanaanLand getting gas to power their power plant that generate 24/7 electricity?
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by oyatz(m): 12:40pm On Sep 07, 2020
juman:
Buhari is the problem o.
More than five years in power nothing significantly achieved.

Excuse me sir, what was the problem between 1999-2015?

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by juman(m): 1:10pm On Sep 07, 2020
oyatz:

Excuse me sir, what was the problem between 1999-2015?

Mr. Man use your sense.
We voted out pdp because of their failure.
APC has demonstrated to be the twin of pdp.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 07, 2020
dukeprince50:
not just PMB but all our past leaders are useless, infact PMB administration brought up the idea of nuclear energy but we kicked against it cos we are scared it will be mismanaged and cause a disaster but we forget nuclear energy is the neatest and most environmental friendly
Volunteer your village for the establishment.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by IronGalaxy: 2:02pm On Sep 07, 2020
kgr28:
I come in peace. Nigerians always glorify accomplishments, smartness and hard work of their compatriots in other white man's countries. So basically they are making these countries more better and successfull. Where are the start ups and innovations by your private economic agents in nigeria. Where are your independent power producers. For God sake you always claim how smart you are. You can't tell me, you have 60 years independence and smart people like you can't make nigeria the greatest and advanced black nation. It's a shame.
Lol, true. The problem starts when you tell yourself and everyone who cares to listen that you are "smart" actions must show. I doubt Einstein went around telling people how smart he was, actual "smart" people don't do that

3 Likes

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by kgr28(m): 2:11pm On Sep 07, 2020
IronGalaxy:
Lol, true. The problem starts when you tell yourself and everyone who cares to listen that you are "smart" actions must show. I doubt Einstein went around telling people how smart he was, actual "smart" people don't do that
true...they have nothing to show for their hard work and smartness.

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by AreaFada2: 2:33pm On Sep 07, 2020
codemaniacs:

those of you quoting benin, togo and ghana should know that Nigeria dams the river niger which flows through these countries which means Nigeria must give or sell electricity to them to prevent them from damming the river niger which will lead to drastic drop in Nigeria's power situation...

In summary:
Nigeria does not sell electricity to this countries because Nigeria wants to..... but because Nigeria must and has to sell electricity to them to prevent the collapse of Nigeria's power infrastructure.

It's not about selling power or not. River Niger does not go through Togo, Ghana or Benin (only just through the border). It goes through Mali, Niger , border with Benin then on to Nigeria and through ND into the Atlantic.

Nigeria has a long coatline so that Ondo, Delt, Lagos and more can have wind farms on the coast. The North with enormous sunshine can harness solar energy.

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by highness25(m): 3:19pm On Sep 07, 2020
Mistakemaker:

What you've just typed shows you're not reasonable in all entirety of life.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Mistakemaker: 3:30pm On Sep 07, 2020
highness25:

What you've just typed shows you're not reasonable in all entirety of life.
It pained him oo grin
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by codemaniacs: 4:00pm On Sep 07, 2020
zz
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by EazyMoh(m): 4:42pm On Sep 07, 2020
allthingsgood:

True but that's a long term goal. As at today tho, can u pay for 24/7 electricity
Stop repeating rubbish. If a small step as installing prepaid meters, many people will learn to conserve their power consumption. Many people still run generators daily, and running generator is definitely more expensive than NEPA. There are many African countries with close to 247 electricity why not Nigeria?
Stop finding excuses for mediocrity and failure.

2 Likes

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by MarrisManah(m): 9:51pm On Sep 07, 2020
allthingsgood:

You can't know because you are still under mummy and daddy.
Ok
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by oyatz(m): 7:01am On Sep 08, 2020
juman:

Mr. Man use your sense.
We voted out pdp because of their failure.
APC has demonstrated to be the twin of pdp.

Why getting worked up?

I asked a simple question and you com dey vex like say I dey abuse you
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Babysho(m): 9:23pm On Sep 09, 2020
MarrisManah:

Please how much is the price for 24/7 light...? We want to know.
The guy na villager just dey ask stupid questions. I'm currently paying for 24/7 light in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Spechialone(f): 10:01pm On Sep 09, 2020
[quote author=higgs post=93648566]

Holla...
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Spechialone(f): 10:01pm On Sep 09, 2020
[quote author=higgs post=93648566]

Holla...
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Abohboy: 9:03pm On Sep 10, 2020
dukeprince50:
deceive urself o.
we have $6b to invest in eko Atlantic that Nigerians can't afford, billions of naira to maintain refineries that's useless, billions of naira to give to politicians as allowance but no money for electricity

Funny of you to think it’s a government project. It’s fully private funded, so I don’t know what your complaining about. But yo7 can always trust a Nigerian to shout about things he has no clue about, especially the dumb ones.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by lexander(m): 1:31am On Mar 18, 2021
agabusta:

That was what I was saying here, before people started coming for me.

I know this is a very old thread but I have to comment on it. From last year till this march most areas I know have been paying 20-40k for electricity bills and they still don't have constant power some people even pay as much as 50k so what's the excuse
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Sladem05: 3:02am On Jan 06
Wiseandtrue:

In this same Nigeria wey we dey

You don’t even make up to 1% of the population. Nigerians have to largely provide electricity for themselves. It’s not a grid system.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Sladem05: 3:03am On Jan 06
EazyMoh:

Stop repeating rubbish. If a small step as installing prepaid meters, many people will learn to conserve their power consumption. Many people still run generators daily, and running generator is definitely more expensive than NEPA. There are many African countries with close to 247 electricity why not Nigeria?
Stop finding excuses for mediocrity and failure.

Not many. It’s only North Africa that enjoys electricity like what is seen internationally. Sub-Saharan Africa doesn’t.
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by EazyMoh(m): 5:59am On Jan 06
Sladem05:

Not many. It’s only North Africa that enjoys electricity like what is seen internationally. Sub-Saharan Africa doesn’t.
If there is only one country in Africa with stable electricity it is supposed to be Nigeria! Stop finding excuses for failure!
Re: What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? by Sladem05: 12:18pm On Jan 06
EazyMoh:

If there is only one country in Africa with stable electricity it is supposed to be Nigeria! Stop finding excuses for failure!

Subsaharan-Africa in general should do like the rest of the world does have stable power but it doesn’t and probably never will. sub-Saharan-Africa is a joke.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

South South Governors Throw Surprise Birthday Party For Gambari (Photos) / 2023 Nigeria Elections: We Saw Evidence Of Vote-buying, EU’s Chief Observer Says / Obiano Stops To Rescue Accident Victim (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.