Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:03 AM

Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision (25254 Views)

Kalabari Traditional Wedding Culture in Rivers State / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / China People And Culture In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 08, 2020
They still end up selling there daughters. Chai. I pity Igbo women. But maybe that's why Igbo women are leeches
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by PearlStreet(m): 9:26am On Sep 08, 2020
LaboPolitics:

yoruba were rejoicing because they want to a leeway to still Igbo men properties by marrying Igbo daughters and insult Igbo customs which even settle Igbo daughters with properties upon marriage. Kolewerk!

Let the same yoruba SC judge Bode Rhodes-Vivour also make a judgment that women in yorubaland have the right to Oba of Lagos, Ooni of Ife and Alaafin of Oyo.

If he won't do it, I'm sure an Igbo judge or Hausa judge will be glad to do so, since both men and women are now culturally equal in law.

This one is just an idiot. In Yoruba land, there are Regents who are female. You are a stark illiterate and a myopic fellow who is not exposed.

7 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by donestk(m): 9:27am On Sep 08, 2020
Inherit what exactly?

2 palm trees and thached house?

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Beremx(f): 9:27am On Sep 08, 2020
Rich and educated Igbo men will properties and money to their daughters. I have seen many of such. My uncle’s wife inherited a building and money from her late dad.

8 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by jericco1(m): 9:27am On Sep 08, 2020
afroxyz:

As a make you are entitled to his property. What were you doing?

I was just a kid as of then undecided
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Sunkyapogee(m): 9:27am On Sep 08, 2020
Who get that kind strength to read all that story... Igbos are Jewish and can never recognize female children as heir..
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by PearlStreet(m): 9:27am On Sep 08, 2020
kurupt1:

Sharrap my friend! Ur amongst the people that are making these women more stupid and entitled.
An igbo woman usually gets anything but ancestral property and Igbos have a reason for this.its a culture and not subjugation

It is your mother, your sister, your daughter and the women in your family who are stupid and entitled. Bush animal.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by fergie001: 9:27am On Sep 08, 2020
SC or no SC..... Implementation will be difficult.

It doesn't look likely to work....topboss & ab0bi....You have said it all.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by PearlStreet(m): 9:28am On Sep 08, 2020
afroxyz:

Which executors? Do you know the law?

Go and ask the Supreme Court if they know the law. I guess you know more than them. Sit here and be asking Idiotic questions.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Blackmann001: 9:28am On Sep 08, 2020
Harmony92:
nobody is looking at it from dis angle angryb my frnd n her mum were thrown out of their axe after d death of her dad just because d mum didn't give birth to a male child.

Bro a lot of towns have laws against such act....the norm is if that happens, the dead man's family waits till d daughters marry off. And tthe deceased wife dies, or get very old b4 his properties are taken over..but they will not allow adoption of a male child...

The Igbo land is the small in Nigeria..and they use these laws to maintain ownership of their lands

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by jaxxy(m): 9:28am On Sep 08, 2020
I feel the female child is a child deserving like any other child bt I hope the courts will also use same judgement for sharia law controversies and not just Igbo customary laws where it abuses human fundamental rights. If not that would be very hypocritical.

I wud like to believe there are exceptions and clauses to this Igbo customary law. It doesn’t mean to exclude the female child bt protect both her and the family interests from external predators(Most royal families have such laws also). However greed of male siblings and polygamous family dynamics has abused this laws to the extremes.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by mmsen: 9:28am On Sep 08, 2020
Nigeria is slowly entering the 21st century century.

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Harmony92(f): 9:29am On Sep 08, 2020
Peacemaker5129:
brothers and uncles
They will leave deceased daughters to suffer
which is very bad.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by afroxyz: 9:29am On Sep 08, 2020
propsvilla3:
The Solution to this problem is in the hand of the Father. Write your will and include your Daughters in the inheritance to stop any form of drama. I can't share my properties without including my lovely daughters.

Exactly. But how many Nigerians would agree to write their wills?
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Childishbanjino(m): 9:29am On Sep 08, 2020
Igbo culture don't rate their women at all, lol. Talmbout she'll give properties to philanderers, chai.

Anyhow sha they'll be fine. Progressive Igbo fathers will bequeath sizable assets to their daughters. The rest can contunu to give the men, who for certain will not handover the properties to philanderers. kikiki

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by PearlStreet(m): 9:29am On Sep 08, 2020
fergie001:
SC or no SC..... Implementation will be difficult.

It doesn't look likely to work.

It will work and beautifully so. One the female children are excluded, they go to court and get judgement. They enforce with bailiffs and Mopol and that is when you will see those greedy fools who excluded them jumping inside the bush.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Blackmann001: 9:29am On Sep 08, 2020
Everyone respects and also accord the daughter of a dead man her nu husband's properties wen sh marries into a nu family...

Is it not the same inheritance..?
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Farki: 9:30am On Sep 08, 2020
kurupt1:

Sharrap my friend! Ur amongst the people that are making these women more stupid and entitled.
An igbo woman usually gets anything but ancestral property and Igbos have a reason for this.its a culture and not subjugation

Last last it's the responsible children that will inherit the property.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Denique(f): 9:30am On Sep 08, 2020
Senseless tradition; Stupid culture undecided

While some of the male children got more than 3 plots of land each, my mom and her female siblings didn't get a needle as inheritance but they all contributed towards the burial. embarassed

I wish I were this mature then, I'd never allow her drop a penny for the burial. undecided

I don't get an inheritance(if it was my father's stand); I don't contribute to your upkeep nor burial. Let your tradition and culture care for you. undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 9:30am On Sep 08, 2020
I DONT KNOW Y YORUBA SEEK TO CHANGE IGBO CUSTOMARY LAWS, WHEN THEY HAVE NOT CHANGED YORUBA CUSTOMARY LAW.

THEY SAY CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME.

U CANNOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE THAT IS SCATTERED AND BE GOING TO ARRANGE ANOTHER MAN HOUSE, WITHOUT HIS CONSENT.

IF IT IS NOT IGBO TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE THAT HAS EXISTED SINCE TIME IMMEMORIAL AND ALL OUR PARENTS AND GRAND AND GREAT GRAND ANCESTORS MARRIED, WITOUT ANY HINDERANCE,, THEN IT IS IGBO IHERITENCE LAW.

WAT IS WRONG WITH THESE ZOO ANIMALS AND THEIR OBSESSION FOR MY PEOPLE, Y WONT THEY LET US BE?

7 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by afroxyz: 9:31am On Sep 08, 2020
PearlStreet:

Go and ask the Supreme Court if they know the law. I guess you know more than them. Sit here and be asking Idiotic questions.

So that means you were making baseless comments when you know.nothing about execution of estates. Speaks volumes of your mental capacity to comprehend issues
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by PearlStreet(m): 9:31am On Sep 08, 2020
Sunkyapogee:
Who get that kind strength to read all that story... Igbos are Jewish and can never recognize female children as heir..

Igbos aren't Jews. It has been genetically proven that Igbos don't have a single strand of Jewish DNA in Igbos. Stop making Igbos stupid with this useless attache by force.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Exodora: 9:32am On Sep 08, 2020
helinues:
Ndi developers still dragging about female inheritance in 21st century..

Truly, civilization came late to the region
See who is talking
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Sacchi1162(m): 9:33am On Sep 08, 2020
Peacemaker5129:
brothers and uncles
They will leave deceased daughters to suffer

Say what you know
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by PearlStreet(m): 9:34am On Sep 08, 2020
afroxyz:

So that means you were making baseless comments when you know.nothing about execution of estates. Speaks volumes of your mental capacity to comprehend issues

You are a monument to stupidity and a walking definition of idiocy. You lack basic knowledge of what the Courts usually order in cases of disputed estates and you're here making a fool of your abjectly worthless self.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 9:34am On Sep 08, 2020
But supreme court will not abolish parts of hausa culture that are in conflict with the constitution and holding the rest of Nigeria back?

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Beremx(f): 9:34am On Sep 08, 2020
Dedetwo:

The only Will you can write which should be meant for your lovely daughters is to get married by a good man and into a good family. Whatever property you accrued why alive remains in your father's house or compound.
I disagree with you on this Dede m. If my father is a very rich man with properties scattered all over Nigeria, certainly I will inherit at least a property. But since he has a duplex in the village and a duplex in Lagos. I cannot inherit. My brothers have it all grin grin

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by fergie001: 9:34am On Sep 08, 2020
PearlStreet:

It will work and beautifully so. One the female children are excluded, they go to court and get judgement. They enforce with bailiffs and Mopol and that is when you will see those greedy fools who excluded them jumping inside the bush.
So many things you don't understand.

The ladies get nothing. The exception is where the man has plenty to go round...fine.

Otherwise, they get nothing.
You are not Igbo, so you won't understand.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by afroxyz: 9:35am On Sep 08, 2020
Denique:
Senseless tradition; Stupid culture undecided

While some of the male children got more than 3 plots of land each, my mom and her female siblings didn't get a needle as inheritance but they all contributed towards the burial.

I wish I were this mature then, I'd never allow her drop a penny for the burial. undecided

I don't get an inheritance(if it was my father's stand); I don't contribute to your upkeep nor burial. Let your tradition and culture care for you. undecided

Are you Igbo? Because I doubt you would make such baseless comments. Go and read about Ohafia where lineage and inheritance is traced through the woman and not the man. There are other societies like that in Igbo land. If you even go to your mother's side, you would be allocated land to farm and other oeiviledgea. Igbo women were the first to organize themselves as a social group as seen in the Aba women riot of 1929. Stop exposing tour ignorance and study. You can't know these things by watching BB naija and nollywood

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? / Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? / UN Warns Britain Over Child Voodoo Rituals, P.edophile Sex Tourists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.