Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision (25259 Views)

Kalabari Traditional Wedding Culture in Rivers State / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / China People And Culture In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 08, 2020
wizzakosh:
Then why crying of Sharia law in the north?

Who cried against Sharia law?

In their domain, Sharia stands what we won't accept is foisting Sharia all over Nigeria.

Same way NDI IGBO will not foist their OMEN'ALA on the entirety of the Nigerian enclave.

People's way of life should be respected.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 10:58am On Sep 08, 2020
LaboPolitics:

We will also take the yoruba judge if he can make a judicial pronoucement that women can be Emirs and Sultan of Sokoto. He should try it if he is not a cowardly yorubaman.

I think we Igbos are becoming too pacifist probably due to 'overeducation'. What a yoruba judge will not dare with the Fulanis, he will experiment with the Igbos. See finish.

What’s my own with Emir or Sultan of Sokoto.

Both Igbos and Hausa need to be dealt with with the long arm of the law in terms of cultural and religious practices.

The Hausa people need to be saved from their own religious practices that is too extreme and the Supreme Court should start from abolishing the Shariah law that is in place in some part of the North. We are a secular country and Shariah shouldn’t be a law in this part of the world.

Likewise, the Supreme Court need to save the Igbos from their cultural practices too. We are in the 21st century and there are some laws that should have been abolished long time ago.

Nope, your education is not reflecting in your culture or way of life. Even your professors still reason like 12th century men coz if not they should have been at the front clamoring for total abolishment of OSU and this women inheritance issue. But no, they all keep mum until the Yoruba judge saved them from themselves.

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 10:58am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:
[s][/s]

U ARE YORUBA, U ALREADY MADE MENTION ON YOUR PREVIOUS POST.

IGBO WOMEN ARE WELL CULTURED AND WELL BEHAVED.

THEY KNOW IGBO PEOPLE HAVE TOO MANY CUSTOMS AND WE DONT JOKE WITH THEM.

CONSEQUENCES ARE DIRE, OR WOULD U PREFER TO LOSE YOUR LIFE?
When she gets her father's properties, you can hang yourself jor. Ntorrr

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Beremx(f): 10:59am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:
Y SHOULD A MAN, AFTER GIVING POCKET MONEY, PAYING DOLLARS AND POUNDS TO SEND HIS DAUGHTER TO READ MEDICINE IN UK, USA.

BUY HER DESIGNER CLOTHES, CAR.

FEED AND TRAIN HER, BE FORCED TO ADD INHERITENCE.

WAT NONSENSE?

DO U KNOW IGBO PARENTS SPEND MORE ON THEIR DAUGHTERS THAN THEIR SON?

THE MONEY SPENT ON MY SISTERS, NONE OF US CAN EVER SEE SUCH FROM OUR FATHER.

THESE GIRLS TURN THE MAN TO ATM.

MY PAPA CONFESS THAT, 'THE MONEY HE USED TO TRAIN EACH OF HIS DAUGHETRS IS ENOUGH TO TRAIN 10 BOYS.'

MY FATHER OWN WORDS.
E pain you wella

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LaboPolitics: 10:59am On Sep 08, 2020
wizzakosh:
Mumu like you grunt on Sharia law in the east but protecting your own backward culture.

Shame on you hypocritical fool.

What is my business with your Sharia law? They want to live how they want to live, you yorubas who are naturally meddlesome, are the ones who think you can determine how others should live, yet you bury your kings with human heads after cannibalizing the corpse of your dead kings.

Pull out the log in your eyes, your yoruba tradition is largely dastardly. Reform it, Oga 'female emancipator'.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by PVision2020(m): 11:00am On Sep 08, 2020
fergie001:

Good...that means you have read down.
So what has what you posted got to do with injustice or Osu caste system?
You're definitely against the supreme court judgement which invariably means you support the subjugation of the female child or what injustice can be greater than the profiling of children base on their gender.
You gave birth to two children (a boy and a girl) and after your demise the boy takes all your estates and your daughter is left with nothing and you say that's not injustice or you gave birth to only female children and you die without a will and your brothers and uncles chase them out of their father's property(ies) because they are female children and you call that justice?

I only brought the comparison of sharia and the Osu caste system to expose your hypocricy.
You malign the north for religiously sticking to their inhumane traditions and Laws (Sharia) but here you're running from pillar to post justifying that of yours.

That is hypocritical of you.

6 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 08, 2020
booscy:

Who cried against Sharia law?

In their domain, Sharia stands what we won't accept is foisting Sharia all over Nigeria.

Same way NDI IGBO will not foist their OMEN'ALA on the entirety of the Nigerian enclave.

People's way of life should be respected.
You do, your hypocritical people do.

Whether you like it or not,the girl children have started getting their parents properties.

No brother's properties for you anymore.

Orbiiiiiii

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Temitopemo6e6(m): 11:01am On Sep 08, 2020
obama30:

and at last come and force a man to will his family land to a female child, there's something that can't never be. court believed in will, and if a man made a will that no female child in he's generation will inherit any land property around he's obi even after his dead, which authority can change that?
According to the Evidence Act, a High Court Judge
can rule against any custom whic he considers to be against 'good conscience.' etc. To the Igwe, the
Supreme Court can effect the abandonment of age-old customs. Even the High Court can. However, I think this is stale news. That groundbreaking
Supreme Court judgement has been known and
discussed for years.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by obama30: 11:01am On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

How many men in Nigeria make such kind of wills?
Stop dreaming abeg.

It will take time but the culture will change

You don't compare Igbo man with other Nigerian. Igbo is Igbo and hausa is an hausa the same as other tribe. Nigeria is not a tribe or have culture, neither do Nigeria have a religion.

We are Nigerian by paper and our tribe in blood and soul, everything in Nigeria is different from one tribe to the other then where is Nigeria in the mist of culture except appearance of uniform security, which at north that uniform security is not respected or recognize than sharia police.

so nothing as Nigeria execpt in paper and by force. Nothing can change the culture of traditional worshipers in Igboland, not even the God of Jews can change the way of traditional worshipers in Igboland. A Yoruba man interpret igbo culture as he wish and give verdict for who to follow. unless any Igboman that doesn't raise his children as Igbo, example born and remain in Lagos, or north can practice what they like there but when they enter Igboland there eyes will clear. there's Nigeria and there's tribe and customs that can't be tampered till Nigerian divide. have it in mind that Nigeria you see today will come to end some day, i don't know when but it will happen.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 11:01am On Sep 08, 2020
nick50:
..are u telling us that u once had a female as the alafin of oyo and also a woman as the ooni of ife?

Yes we once had a female as Alaafin of Oyo. Her full name is Alaafin Ajiun Orompotoniyun.

Also, we have countless Adeles (women) standing as Kings in their respective domain if situation demands that.

See an example below!

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 08, 2020
Beremx:
E pain you wella
E pain them hahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LaboPolitics: 11:03am On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

What’s my own with Emir or Sultan of Sokoto.

Both Igbos and Hausa need to be dealt with with the long arm of the law in terms of cultural and religious practices.

The Hausa people need to be saved from their own religious practices that is too extreme and the Supreme Court should start from abolishing the Shariah law that is in place in some part of the North. We are a secular country and Shariah shouldn’t be a law in this part of the world.

Likewise, the Supreme Court need to save the Igbos from their cultural practices too. We are in the 21st century and there are some laws that should have been abolished long time ago.

Nope, your education is not reflecting in your culture or way of life. Even your professors still reason like 12th century men coz if not they should have been at the front clamoring for total abolishment of OSU and this women inheritance issue. But no, they all keep mum until the Yoruba judge saved them from themselves.

And when will Supreme court save the innocent people you bury your yoruba kings with when they die? Or you think the world is not aware of your yoruba barbaric custom of royal cannibalism?

Now, we'll sit here and watch you fruitlessly pretend and make a laughable detour from common sense. grin

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 08, 2020
Ipob property grabbers won't like this ruling, that's why they forbid their daughters from marrying other tribes cos of property.

People from the Anambra extraction will really protest this ruling, the only reason their girls marry outside is to kill the groom and inherit his prooopeeerty.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by KingOdart(m): 11:04am On Sep 08, 2020
LaboPolitics:

We are not talking about Regents who are even lesser than local councillors, we are talking of the highest royal stools in yorubaland Ooni, Alaafin, Awujale and Alake, etc. Why are yorubas discriminating against their females from attaining those revered traditional positions.

yoruba jibiti and their half-baked arguments as always.

Yoruba have had a female Ooni and Alaafin in the past.

And Yoruba are not discriminating against their females from attaining those position but a king suppose to be a male character just like in most part of the world.

Same way it is difficult for a woman to become Nigerian president, same way it is difficult for a woman to become USA president and most part of the world. That's also same way it is difficult for a woman to attain those position in Yoruba Land

Yoruba women are not ban from those positions because we have had female monarchs in the past but it is just difficult to find a woman that have the leadership qualities for the position.

Christianity and Islam is one of the major reasons stopping women from competing for those positions in Yoruba Land. If a woman feel cheated she can take it to the court to fight for her right, there is no law that ban a woman from becoming a king in Yoruba Land.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LCling: 11:05am On Sep 08, 2020
Wooow . Have they ban the death penalty that contravenes all wisdom and freedom of everything in the constitution
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 08, 2020
wizzakosh:
You do, your hypocritical people do.

Whether you like it or not,the girl children have started getting their parents properties.

No brother's properties for you anymore.

Orbiiiiiii

We are waiting for you to lead the enforcement.

If you like don't work hard. No wealth of an Igbo man will be transferred to any outsider via marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by nick50(m): 11:08am On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

I am igbo you dummy.
I am an igbo woman inheriting from her father

I don't care about any culture the only culture I see and respect is my own.
Also the only law I respect is the Nigerian law.
Every other customary law is subject to Nigerian law.

There are no consequences those consequencies are only scare tactics that exist in your imaginary head.
Go and use those consequences on the supreme court to change it's stance on the issue
..get married then go to ur village and take over ur fathers ancestral lands only then will we take u serious

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Parisian: 11:10am On Sep 08, 2020
Aptly put kiss
LegendHero:
These guys with their 12th century law. They fail to be civilized and I’m grateful to the Supreme Court for helping them get civilized by fire by force.

Now the next judgement to be passed is for the OSU discrimination issue.

In as much as we are in this Nigeria together, we will make sure we save you from yourself.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:10am On Sep 08, 2020
That is your business.The supreme court gas spoken you cannot change it be rest assured that it won't end on paper because many women will go to the court to seek their inheritance I am Igbo and will inherit from ny father so the law is workingAlso as long as igbo land is under Nigeria the Nigerian law remains supreme yo any customary law.
obama30:

You don't compare Igbo man with other Nigerian. Igbo is Igbo and hausa is an hausa the same as other tribe. Nigeria is not a tribe or have culture, neither do Nigeria have a religion.

We are Nigerian by paper and our tribe in blood and soul, everything in Nigeria is different from one tribe to the other then where is Nigeria in the mist of culture except appearance of uniform security, which at north that uniform security is not respected or recognize than sharia police.

so nothing as Nigeria execpt in paper and by force. Nothing can change the culture of traditional worshipers in Igboland, not even the God of Jews can change the way of traditional worshipers in Igboland. A Yoruba man interpret igbo culture as he wish and give verdict for who to follow. unless any Igboman that doesn't raise his children as Igbo, example born and remain in Lagos, or north can practice what they like there but when they enter Igboland there eyes will clear. there's Nigeria and there's tribe and customs that can't be tampered till Nigerian divide. have it in mind that Nigeria you see today will come to end some day, i don't know when but it will happen.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Yes we once had a female as Alaafin of Oyo. Her full name is Alaafin Ajiun Orompotoniyun.

Also, we have countless Adeles (women) standing as Kings in their respective domain of situation demands that.

See an example below!

Give then fact my brother.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LegendHero(m): 11:11am On Sep 08, 2020
LaboPolitics:

And when will Supreme court save the innocent people you bury your yoruba kings with when they die? Or you think the world is not aware of your yoruba barbaric custom of royal cannibalism?

Now, we'll sit here and watch you fruitlessly pretend and make a laughable detour from common sense. grin

Lol that’s stale.

Yes it happened in the past in some Yoruba kingship but there have been lot of reforms with lot of Kings doing away with such traditions of the old.

Those traditions of the old world have been fought constantly and many kings are even proud of their Christianity or Islam ways of life and they have rightly modified laws of the palace from the old ways that some of our ancestors once lived.

Just like slavery is now a thing of disgrace for the white because their ancestors did that, but the present generation of white men are against that and they always make sure they fight against that.

However, the Igbos failed to let go of the past and continue to defend the archaic cultural practices in this 21st century.

That is a disgrace to civilization.

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:13am On Sep 08, 2020
nick50:
..get married then go to ur village and take over ur fathers ancestral lands only then will we take u serious
Nothing will happen.I don't need you to take me serious because married or not my father has given me a share and I can build on itm
My aunty did it and did not die.
And I take her serious.
A father's ancestral land belongs to the Nigerian government and under Nigerian law women have a right to own lands and properties.
Just because a woman has not challenged it in your village or that it is not common to you does not mean that it has not happened or that it is impossible

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 11:14am On Sep 08, 2020
[s]
AmazonTopaz:

I am igbo you dummy.
I am an igbo woman inheriting from her father

I don't care about any culture the only culture I see and respect is my own.
Also the only law I respect is the Nigerian law.
Every other customary law is subject to Nigerian law.

There are no consequences those consequencies are only scare tactics that exist in your imaginary head.
Go and use those consequences on the supreme court to change it's stance on the issue
[/s]

U DONT KNOW LAW.

CUSTOMARY LAW ARE CONSTITUTIONAL RECOGNISED.

THEY ARE THE NIGERIA LAW.

SUPREME COURT JUDGEMENT DID NOT REFORM IGBO CUSTOMARY LAW.

IT IS ONLY APPLICABLE TO THAT PARTICULAR CASE.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 11:14am On Sep 08, 2020
AmazonTopaz:
That is your business.The supreme court gas spoken you cannot change it be rest assured that it won't end on paper because many women will go to the court to seek their inheritance I am Igbo and will inherit from ny father so the law is workingAlso as long as igbo land is under Nigeria the Nigerian law remains supreme yo any customary law.
Leave him to be grunting. E go shock am.

3 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by nick50(m): 11:15am On Sep 08, 2020
So the sharia/supreme court want me to give away the land I inherited from my fire father's to strangers??
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Samfloxin(m): 11:16am On Sep 08, 2020
IamWonderful:
Backward people, ndi civilization in the news but ndi ayoyo at local, ndi baby factory ritualism, ndi osu, Ohu, oru, ume and DIALA.
Lost progeny sighted.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by fergie001: 11:17am On Sep 08, 2020
PVision2020:
I know you are trying to get at something but you are wrong...very very wrong.

My first comment on this thread...is on screenshot below.
I cannot be against a SC judgement but like you quoted on your screenshots above..when the cases start filing in, we will know what to do.
How is that been against a SC judgement or you intend to follow your hunch?

Please Barr. PVision2020....can you singularly bring up a post where I have (consistently) maligned the North for whatever that have to do with their tradition and/or Sharia law?
At least, we are on NL...and the Internet doesn't forget.

This will help those reading..........
So where lies the hypocrisy?
Please jettison such thoughts.

I try to stay away from such arguments and I don't know why you are trying to fruitlessly box me to a corner. It has failed.

I will appeal to you to refrain from using such words.
This is not the Politics Section.

I will be awaiting those posts

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by LaboPolitics: 11:17am On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Lol that’s stale.

Yes it happened in the past in some Yoruba kingship but there have been lot of reforms with lot of Kings doing away with such traditions of the old.

Those traditions of the old world have been fought constantly and many kings are even proud of their Christianity or Islam ways of life and they have rightly modified laws of the palace from the old ways that some of our ancestors once lived.

Just like slavery is now a thing of disgrace for the white because their ancestors did that, but the present generation of white men are against that and they always make sure they fight against that.

However, the Igbos failed to let go of the past and continue to defend the archaic cultural practices in this 21st century.

When a common Baale (local chief) in yorubaland dies, an unofficial curfew is declared nightly. Why? Because yoruba youths will be out at night hunting for human heads with which to bury him.

This is common knowledge and it happens till this day. Tell your 'reform' stories to the birds my friend.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Lol that’s stale.

Very big disgrace my brother

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Los10ban: 11:19am On Sep 08, 2020
It is a welcome development for the part of igboland that totally disinherit their female children. However no igbo lady is expected to drag land with her male siblings or uncles after the demise of the man. But other properties like investments and so on should be share among all be it male or female. where i come from in Igboland we (females) are gifted all the necessities. Our duties are to make sure our male siblings live in peace and harmony not drag properties.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by DexterousOne(m): 11:20am On Sep 08, 2020
obama30:

What is this one saying now?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

The Igbos Are Probably Nigeria's Most Populous Ethnic Group? / Was Lamurudu The Father Of Oduduwa? / UN Warns Britain Over Child Voodoo Rituals, P.edophile Sex Tourists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.