Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,176 members, 7,780,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:00 AM

10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? - Career (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? (41976 Views)

Too Many Young People Are Getting Stuck 2-5yrs After Graduation / My Journey After Graduation In 2012 / 5 Common Mistakes Graduates Make After Graduation That Hurts Their Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by ernestita3(m): 7:41am On Sep 10, 2020
Holyterrorist:
sad

Did int'l relations in uni after graduation no job,I sent out application letters to every known major organization still yet no job.

Alot of people came with the idea that I should learn a trade and create job for myself,I put on my thinking cap but still yet I couldn't figure out what biz or trade I could venture into because of no capital.

Man cannot go and kill himself,I just jejely look for one hp system,bought Airtel WiFi,got a solar system that can power my laptops 24/7 and then start my bombing hustle and I have never for once regretted this decision because I now earn more money than the average bank manager.Even my colleagues criticizing me back then are the ones pleading now to learn from me.

Pls link me up am interested. 08061300244
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Adeniyi27(m): 9:29pm On Sep 10, 2020
yemi1504:

SMH, I will rather commit suicide if network marketing and insurance sales business are the only jobs in the world! Fact!

Ignorance. It's because you don't know.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by tunbebes(f): 3:50am On Sep 11, 2020
OGWILLS123:

Very true tongue
you can work anywhere your laptop and internet connection is your
your office any where you go grin
you can work abroad and been paid in dollar$
currently learning web programming on YouTube now tongue

That's nice. Thanks cheesy
Please, can you share the YouTube page or link?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by tunbebes(f): 3:51am On Sep 11, 2020
ThreeBlackBird:

If money is the major reason you'll want to learn programming, you'll be frustrated before you begin.

I was just being sarcastic Bro. I know nothing good comes easy. Thanks.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by tunbebes(f): 3:52am On Sep 11, 2020
obstead200:
yes it is true. But don't kid yourself, programmers are a dime per dozen out there. For u to land a job from those guys overseas, u need to stand out exceptionally in what u do. No two ways about that. Average performance won't get u anywhere

Yes you are right. Thanks.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by tunbebes(f): 3:54am On Sep 11, 2020
SmartPolician:

I'm sorry you cannot.

I want everything I do on Nairaland to stay on Nairaland.

Thank you

Its no problem please. I don't PM people like that too though. I just wanted to know more about the programming and the groups on fb. It's okay.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by tunbebes(f): 3:56am On Sep 11, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

You can work and be paid from home but it's gonna require a very huge investment on your own part. First of all you need to learn to code. This will take you around 6 months to at least get the front end part of web development right. Once you are proficient in the front-end you can start applying to jobs. Trust me you are gonna face a lot of rejections but the jobs are there. Let's say it takes 100 applications to land 10 interviews. You can send out 100 applications in one day if you are serious. There's also freelancing sites like Upwork but you need money to get started on Upwork or you would be frustrated and come to nairaland and shout it doesn't work.

Lol
OK Bro.
Thank you
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by egobetatoday: 11:06am On Sep 11, 2020
SmartPolician:

Yes, you can.

I am a living testimony.

I am a freelance digital marketer though and have never worked for a Nigerian company as a DM.

After learning, go online (Facebook, Twitter, etc) and join programmers' groups.

Employers often post openings from time to time. They may ask you to do a simple test to assess your competence.

If you pass, you will join the company.

Alternatively, you can sign up on freelance sites like Fiverr and Upwork. Those platforms are very competitive though.

Information Technology breaks geographic borders.

Pls what do digital marketers do? I've googled it. Just want to hear from a digital marketer what it entails . Thanks
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by SmartPolician: 11:34am On Sep 11, 2020
egobetatoday:

Pls what do digital marketers do? I've googled it. Just want to hear from a digital marketer what it entails . Thanks

A digital marketer can do one or more of the following:

1. Post engaging content to help companies promote their products and services online (this is called content marketing). Under content marketing, there's copywriting, rewriting, podcasts, blogging, proofreading/copy-editing, graphics, video-editing, etc.

2. Help a company analyze its site performance on search engines (SEO analysis). This has in-depth relationship with web development.

3. Help a company grow its organic or paid traffic. If traffic is paid, it's called PPC (pay per click, eg, Google AdWords). If it's organic, it's search engine optimization.

4. Manage social media accounts to grow brand popularity, engagement, and increase company's revenue (ROI).

5. Set KPIs (key performance indicators) and ensure that they are met.

Digital marketing covers virtually everything you and I do online as long as it generates money for companies.

Someone will go far in digital marketing if he can write well, design graphics and build sites with WordPress not necessarily a full-stack developer.

This is just the summary.

I hope it helps....

1 Like

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Frankicent(m): 1:06pm On Sep 11, 2020
smartgenius:
2011-2012 - nysc
2012 - 2014- masters in Nigeria on Exxon Mobil scholarship.
2014- 2019- Manager at Nigerian Breweries plc
2019 to date- Canada Permanent Resident, manager at a top company, doing MBA and also doing PhD on full scholarship.
I graduated in Nov. 2010.
Resiliency is the word. Just keep pushing. Don't give up.

Oil dey head. You're lucky. Things just aren't at side.

1 Like

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Thoughtfeed: 11:11am On Sep 13, 2020
principalgee:
Well, I thank God, with my Science Laboratory Technology Certificate, I still use it to work in a Laboratory in a pharmaceutical industry.

Please what is your degree grade and how did you get the job?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Thoughtfeed: 11:16am On Sep 13, 2020
FanOfMyself:

Hey there, yes you can work from home for any company as long as you prove your worth.
I have quality videos on various courses in various programming languages. These courses are perfectly suited for beginners. All you need is your computer and power supply. The videos are offline and you can watch and rewatch and keep it as reference.
Let me know if you are interested. I'm also going to be there to answer your questions, I have three people learning with my videos and they are doing so well.
I'm a practicing software developer with a degree in computer science btw
Are these videos free?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by FanOfMyself: 5:42pm On Sep 13, 2020
Thoughtfeed:
Are these videos free?
No sir, but they are ridiculously cheap compared to the value therein.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Tinyemeka(m): 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2020
Studied and graduated from Unizik, B.Sc Microbiology. 2006.

First started with Leadway Assurance where I worked for 3 months before joining one bank like that which has eventually grown to be the country's No. 1 in customer deposit base. Marked my 12th year anniversary about a week ago.

I think I've become disillusioned with my status quo (long overdue in my opinion).

I'll soon relocate to the UK to start a new career, or Canada to change my scenery (so help me God). undecided

I'm serious - so help me God.

1 Like

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by alamin0506(m): 10:56am On Sep 14, 2020
DontBullshitMe:

Does this business not have a name or a description?
It's does, but take it or leave an Average Nigerian will not know how much it worth when you share business ideas with them. As such I will not want to but when an individual feel he needs your assistance in such a manner he will contact you. When you place it open most will feel you are stupid
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by egobetatoday: 6:02pm On Sep 14, 2020
SmartPolician:

A digital marketer can do one or more of the following:

1. Post engaging content to help companies promote their products and services online (this is called content marketing). Under content marketing, there's copywriting, rewriting, podcasts, blogging, proofreading/copy-editing, graphics, video-editing, etc.

2. Help a company analyze its site performance on search engines (SEO analysis). This has in-depth relationship with web development.

3. Help a company grow its organic or paid traffic. If traffic is paid, it's called PPC (pay per click, eg, Google AdWords). If it's organic, it's search engine optimization.

4. Manage social media accounts to grow brand popularity, engagement, and increase company's revenue (ROI).

5. Set KPIs (key performance indicators) and ensure that they are met.

Digital marketing covers virtually everything you and I do online as long as it generates money for companies.

Someone will go far in digital marketing if he can write well, design graphics and build sites with WordPress not necessarily a full-stack developer.

This is just the summary.

I hope it helps....

Wow... This is so informative. Thank you.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Thoughtfeed: 2:58pm On Sep 15, 2020
Tinyemeka:
Studied and graduated from Unizik, B.Sc Microbiology. 2006.

First started with Leadway Assurance where I worked for 3 months before joining one bank like that which has eventually grown to be the country's No. 1 in customer deposit base. Marked my 12th year anniversary about a week ago.

I think I've become disillusioned with my status quo (long overdue in my opinion).

I'll soon relocate to the UK to start a new career, or Canada to change my scenery (so help me God). undecided

I'm serious - so help me God.

What is microbiologist doing in an insurance company
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by obamartins(m): 3:21pm On Sep 15, 2020
xxxxxxxxxx

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Veiniously: 7:57pm On Sep 15, 2020
obamartins:
My own no reach 10 years o. Let me give the summary. Graduated 2014, Uniben. 2014 to 2016, underemployed. 2017 till date Working from Home. 2021 till 2070 Living in Canada.2074 - Preparing to meet my maker. 2075 (transition to Glory). 2075 till further notice singing Hossana to the Lord in Heaven.
Bro I want to work from home like you how do I do it?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by sacajawea: 4:38pm On Sep 19, 2020
Matrimonous:
I went the way of self-employment, labour market seem to be for those without vision. grin
What are you doing today
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by sacajawea: 4:39pm On Sep 19, 2020
aikyg:
I turn down job offers. The exodus of highly skilled and experienced professionals to Canada, US and Australia has reduced the number of of people like us in the country. Companies are now competing the few that are here, because other option is to hire Indians and Chinese professionals; which is more expensive. I guess, after ten years, the job offers start rolling.
And what Field/skill is that?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by sacajawea: 4:41pm On Sep 19, 2020
PapaNnamdi:
not up to 10yrs though, this should be my 6th year after nysc

I got my first job in 2015,
there and then I realized immediately that working isn't really for me,
I hated dressing corporate, that was the first problem I had at the job,

I always hated going to work,

work wey I suffer get

to too it all, my boss was now harassing me sexually,
omo naso I vex one-day after a heated argument carry my bag and stormed home,

I remember at night I was just thinking if na spirit enter my life,

anyhow that week gave birth to a business idea in me that changed my life,

I am presently a graphics designer, web developer and junior programmer,

my business is not really in need of my skills, but I just learnt it anyway cos I have alot of free time,

see enh, work no be for everybody

na once u de know,

and once u knw,

find ur calling,

Is your boss gay shocked
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by PapaNnamdi: 7:12pm On Sep 19, 2020
sacajawea:

Is your boss gay shocked
she is a married woman, a cougar

preys on young good-looking guys,

she once gave me money for shopping, and promised to take care of me, that was when I knew my good looks just bought me trouble
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by sacajawea: 7:17pm On Sep 19, 2020
PapaNnamdi:

she is a married woman, a cougar

preys on young good-looking guys,

she once gave me money for shopping, and promised to take care of me, that was when I knew my good looks just bought me trouble
Ok.
Kikiki Funny DP, I just randomly noticed that we follow each other cheesy
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Nobody: 4:07am On Sep 20, 2020
sacajawea:

What are you doing today
Giving back to the society. grin
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by kingceejay: 9:40am On Sep 20, 2020
Candidates are required to fill various positions in a reputable entreprenuerial firm with interest in agribusiness.
. Business Development [sub unit]
- Administration Officers
- Customer Service
- Public Speakers
- Human Resources
- Graduate Trainee
Renumeration
75k - 100k (based on work proceeds)
All interested applicants should forward their resume to the HR officer in charger using the position as subject to pointrecruiters@gmail.com.
Ps candidates must reside within Lagos. Only qualified candidates will be invited for interview.

This is an opportunity i Hope people will take advantage. The agric sector is as important as the IT sector if not more.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by kingceejay: 11:34am On Sep 20, 2020
Smartpoliticain Please can you enlighten us/me on the necessary steps and how to go about becoming a professional digital marketer. Thanks
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Lajiniran: 2:53pm On Sep 20, 2020
principalgee:
Well, I thank God, with my Science Laboratory Technology Certificate, I still use it to work in a Laboratory in a pharmaceutical industry.

And my wife that studied exact same course has been jobless for years. What's the name of your Pharm company and how can I know when they are recruiting ?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by DEBUU: 10:13pm On Sep 20, 2020
FanOfMyself:
No sir, but they are ridiculously cheap compared to the value therein.
Please can I get the video and how much?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by FanOfMyself: 12:04am On Sep 21, 2020
DEBUU:

Please can I get the video and how much?
Yes you can. It's 2k per course.
The following courses are available, each with exercise files from the instructors and examples of mini projects to drive the point home.

Html
Css
JavaScript
PHP
Mysql
OOP with PHP
Advanced PHP
PHP and laravel framework
...etc

I strongly recommend that you start with the first three courses if you are a newbie and you wish to have a career in web development. Those three courses will provide you the relevant skills that you need to become a front end web developer.
Enough said.
Thanks
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by sacajawea: 12:45am On Sep 21, 2020
Matrimonous:

Giving back to the society. grin
I would really appreciate it if I were a beneficiary of that

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

ICAN May/june 2016 Diet Exam- Read This / Toheeb: Meet Cemetery Attendant Who Digs Graves For A Living In Lagos / Man Sells Corns And Pears With His Bike In Makurdi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.