Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? (42186 Views)

Too Many Young People Are Getting Stuck 2-5yrs After Graduation / My Journey After Graduation In 2012 / 5 Common Mistakes Graduates Make After Graduation That Hurts Their Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Adeniyi27(m): 7:01pm On Sep 08, 2020
KEEP SAYING YOU CANNOT DO NETWORK MARKETING BUSINESS SOMEONE ELSEWHERE IS ALREADY NETWORKING YOU AND MAKING MONEY FROM YOU ��

- If you have a glo line, you are in Mike Adenuga's network.

- If you have a Facebook account, Instagram account, Telegram, Snapchat, Twitter or you use whatsapp, you are in Mark Zuckerberg's network.

- If you have a desktop computer or laptop, you are in Bill Gates' network.

- If you have ever bought anything on Amazon, you are in Jeff Bezos' network.

- If you have GoTV or DSTV at home, you are part of the network of Naspers Group and Adewunmi Ogunsanya.

- If you have ever bought Dangote cement, sugar,salt, spaghetti, noodles, flour, then you are part of Dangote's network.

- If you have a bank account with any bank, you are part of their network.

- As a worker/employee with any organization or company, you are not only a part of the owner's workforce, but also a part of the owner's network

The earlier you stop getting edgy or angry about network marketing and start asking yourself questions like "who are the people in my network", "what are my products & services" and "who are my customers & clients", the better.

"The richest people in the world look for and build network, everyone else is looking for work". Great minds, have a rethink and start building your team!

Impossible means I'm possible (Dangote)

For more info, call/whatsapp: Kenny 08064427803

4 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by BlueBanana: 7:05pm On Sep 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Only skill and a nice array of projects to show off. I am yet to see a programming job that lays emphasis on degrees. They always put computer science there though but in my experience its never adhered to and there's also nothing like connections. I didn't need to know anyone to get invites interviews unlike in most engineering fields where you have to know someone that knows someone to be able to get employed.
Hello bro. I have gone through your profile and most of your posts have really impacted me. I want to go into Digital marketing as programming is too tough for me. is it advisable, how much will it take for me to be proficient at it, does it require any coding and what's the pay like? Also, do you have any suggestions on places I can start learning from. Thanks.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by EmmyOD(m): 7:07pm On Sep 08, 2020
Meehn, this country is not easy atall but I believe from our experiences, our children will never suffer what we are suffering again.
Mine is not that different from others shaa. Graduated from biotechnology in 2017, posted to Lagos State for NYSC in 2018. Knowing that there is no job for me considering my course, I re applied for UTME and consequently, re-deployed to the East after camping. Had POP in 2019 and got admission into MBBS that same year. Hoping to move to the teaching hospital by Nov/Dec but Coro don scatter plans. Knowing that man don dey old and bills can't wait till 2025 to start coming.I exploited the coronna break to do apply for a student intern in a pharmacy shop around my area.
Praying school remain closed till december( lol) so I can complete my program and get certified to own my own pharmacy shop with the little savings I have.
Nigeria is not easy atall but we all go everly smile on God's appointed time one day. Let's not give up.
This is my own post graduate experience so far.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:10pm On Sep 08, 2020
BlueBanana:

Hello bro. I have gone through your profile and most of your posts have really impacted me. I want to go into Digital marketing as programming is too tough for me. is it advisable, how much will it take for me to be proficient at it, does it require any coding and what's the pay like? Also, do you have any suggestions on places I can start learning from. Thanks.
You can learn digital marketing in a month. Facebook ads, google ads, YouTube ads and SEO are the most indemand. Check YouTube. In Nigeria, digital marketing pay ranges between 30 to around 150 for starters. I think if you are going to learn digital marketing, combine graphic design and video editing to it. Because they mostly go hand in hand. When you want to run ads. You need nice graphics to convert users. You need nice videos to convert users. It makes you more valuable.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by apokan200(m): 7:13pm On Sep 08, 2020
Dipsaint:

There are many resources available online
Udemy
Coursera
w3schools
freecodecamp
e. t. c
thanks boss
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Smatkomo: 7:14pm On Sep 08, 2020
I've worked at two different places but around April this year, someone introduced me to an online business.

I was doing that alongside my day job. Two months later, I resigned.

I'm fully working from home, for myself now .

1 Like

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by BlueBanana: 7:14pm On Sep 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

You can learn digital marketing in a month. Facebook ads, google ads, YouTube ads and SEO are the most indemand. Check YouTube. In Nigeria, digital marketing pay ranges between 30 to around 150 for starters. I think if you are going to learn digital marketing, combine graphic design and video editing to it. Because they mostly go hand in hand. When you want to run ads. You need nice graphics to convert users. You need nice videos to convert users. It makes you more valuable.
Thanks for this. I really appreciate.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by uthlaw: 7:16pm On Sep 08, 2020
Naanlong01:
This year makes it three years that I have been a graduate. I didn't bother to look for job and told my Parents not to bother about looking for one for me.
Business is what I wanted to do and I am priviledged to be a barbing salon owner and a playstation business owner. I also do part time teaching in a private School so as not to completely make my Certificate useless. Planning to launch another business next year. This part of the North is a land full of opportunities for a visionary enterpreneur. The truth is, I came here as a Corp member.
which part of north!
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Godsonkemz(m): 7:22pm On Sep 08, 2020
I graduated 8 years ago without a stable means of livelihood befitting for a graduate but when I entered the street (on the positive vibe), I discovered the opportunity which many graduates detested before now. When I ventured into this hustle, people couldn't believe I could do such despite my qualifications.
Nevertheless I found joy, peace and comfort doing this. With this, I can foot my bills and that of my fiancé who I will soon marry whose support is what sustained me even when it seemed I was wasting my time.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by uthlaw: 7:30pm On Sep 08, 2020
Godsonkemz:
I graduated 8 years ago without a stable means of livelihood befitting for a graduate but when I entered the street (on the positive vibe), I discovered the opportunity which many graduates detested before now. When I ventured into this hustle, people couldn't believe I could do such despite my qualifications.
Nevertheless I found joy, peace and comfort doing this. With this, I can foot my bills and that of my fiancé who I will soon marry whose support is what sustained me even when it seemed I was wasting my time.
what street husstle is that!
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by oceanized25(m): 7:36pm On Sep 08, 2020
magphilips:
I graduated 2005 from AAU, Ekpoma,i read international Studies and diplomacy, i didn't not bother looking for a job. i just start a business and i grown the business, and with time i invest in developing myself in other skill like network marketing and now am a pro in that area, making 6 figure monthly
my brother e dey sweet. i can show u if you like
Bro i for like learn o
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Adeniran906(m): 7:37pm On Sep 08, 2020
Ogaemmy:
Self employed
What do you engage in....
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by jelel6: 7:41pm On Sep 08, 2020
Vyzz:

Right now...

How big are u in the programning world...

Do u think u have known almost everything u should in the world.... Like if it was a course, u are the lecturer?...

I don't really get your question. But it general, you can't know all. In tech or programming in particular, things move very fast. It's impossible to keep up with EVERYTHING that's going on. Hence, IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW ALMOST EVERYTHING.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by oceanized25(m): 7:44pm On Sep 08, 2020
Smatkomo:
I've worked at two different places but around April this year, someone introduced me to an online business.

I was doing that alongside my day job. Two months later, I resigned.

I'm fully working from home, for myself now .
if its not too much trouble,i'd like you to let me in on the online business...i have a lot of time and will put in my best.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by JIMMY1393: 7:48pm On Sep 08, 2020
Samfloxin:
After graduation,I went into private school teaching. It was the toughest time of my life. I can't tell all that I passed through but it was hell. They would give me a load of subjects to teach. Out of the 9 periods in a day, I taught 8. At the end of the months,they would owe me on top kwa. To cut the story short,God helped me through my uncle and I got a lecturing job in one of the federal institutions in this country. I spent 3 years in the labour market.

Is lecturing not still labor market or am I missing something
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Ayilara1(m): 7:49pm On Sep 08, 2020
jelel6:

Take anything you can from this piece:-

When you start using words as 'better' to differentiate two different fields which solves two different problems, it's the first sign that you're approaching with an undesirable mentality.

Considering the topic of discussion and your questions, I think you're about to take a very important decision that will shape your future somewhat from here on. So, it's naturally that you're seeking for advice here.

When I was deciding to learn an IT skill, I literally spent more than a week doing my research and studying up to get a solid "overview".

I read articles on medium specifically. Medium is like the IT world playground. Read articles upon articles. I came across a 108 minutes-long articles on everything IT. It was the longest article I've ever seen written. ALL this I did before STARTING the journey proper.

I went through all those trouble because the last thing you'd want to do is second guess your decision to learn to code or do data science. You may end up spending more than a year without learning anything because your head and heart is not in the right place initially.

It may take you years to grasp any of the path you're contemplating. So take a few days to read ALL WHAT you can about data science and web development, independent of each other.

So don't start asking Google which is BETTER. Instead, ask what is web development and what is data science.

Whether you neglect or do both, focus on asking the right questions first. Don't take shortcuts when you're doing something like a 'feasibility study'.

Since I started on the programming pathway, I've only face what we call the 'imposter syndrome'. But I've never had self-doubt as to whether I made the right decision or not. And you can only give yourself that level of self-assurance when you know the PROS and CONS of what you're into.

Good luck

Thanks bro
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Ayilara1(m): 7:51pm On Sep 08, 2020
DrBrainstorm:

HTML, CSS and Javascript (more jobs, fast and quite easy to learn unlike Data Analysis/Science).

In 6 months time, if you are dedicated, you should be able to start something meaningful.

Data Analysis/Science(less jobs unlike HTML..., no be beans, takes a while to become solid in it )

I recommend Web design/development (HTML, CSS and whatever)

Follow this advice at your own risk grin

In short, please what are you advising now?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Samfloxin(m): 7:52pm On Sep 08, 2020
JIMMY1393:

Is lecturing not still labor market or am I missing something
You are missing something. Somebody who is a senior federal worker earning 6 digit salary every month with other allowances with job security is out of the labour market.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by JIMMY1393: 7:53pm On Sep 08, 2020
smartgenius:
2011-2012 - nysc
2012 - 2014- masters in Nigeria on Exxon Mobil scholarship.
2014- 2019- Manager at Nigerian Breweries plc
2019 to date- Canada Permanent Resident, manager at a top company, doing MBA and also doing PhD on full scholarship.
I graduated in Nov. 2010.
Resiliency is the word. Just keep pushing. Don't give up.

Which top company sir?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by JIMMY1393: 7:53pm On Sep 08, 2020
Sirfemisky:
You are 30 years.
Stop lying

No mind am...17 in 200 level ...no be only
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Adex2442: 8:03pm On Sep 08, 2020
cooltola:

Yes it can be learnt online. yes you can use it to work especially if you are very good

Tanks bro
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Ugaboy: 8:03pm On Sep 08, 2020
Davidganna10:
Thanks for sharing your experience, what programming language will you advice When you put into consideration the time required to learn it and the cost implication. Acticipating your reply.
check my signature, you can learn without spending 100digit code
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Codes151(m): 8:05pm On Sep 08, 2020
Whizdorm001:
I'm 17, an undergraduate,200lvl to be precise and I have no skill whatsoever, please what skill will you advise me to learn.
Naija hard abeg
IT
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Weezyclan(m): 8:06pm On Sep 08, 2020
Whizdorm001:
I'm 17, an undergraduate,200lvl to be precise and I have no skill whatsoever, please what skill will you advise me to learn.
Naija hard abeg
You can learn graphic designing, web development and programming.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by sammyobi584: 8:12pm On Sep 08, 2020
Dipsaint:

Bro!
Let's Connect.
I'm in level 3 studying Agricultural Engineering and I'm also into Cybersecurity

Please what is cyber security all about please and is it the same with hacking
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by donprinyo(m): 8:13pm On Sep 08, 2020
SmartPolician:

This is FALSE

The oil and gas industry is saturated and you need connection to get a job there
Where do u stay?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by donprinyo(m): 8:13pm On Sep 08, 2020
Emuf:

I dont agree with you bro.
Where do u base?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Goalnaldo(m): 8:20pm On Sep 08, 2020
solutionh:
I did poultry business that's egg production for the first year after my nysc from the money I saved during my service year,then most of my friends do insult me that I smell like fowl shit.then I do sale eggs,mine wasn't enough for customer's so I do buy from other farm's in village's to supplement mine,I did this for like a year and some months,when my birds stopped giving me maximum amount of eggs u started looking for a buyer as God may have it,as I was passing by I met a man (Ugo from okija) carrying a truck load of old layers(fowl)when I stopped him to enquire weda he deals on birds,he affirmed he does so I told him I have birds to sale and at good rate,he told me that he just brought birds from ibadan that he can't buy more for the week,I insisted that I can sale mine myself if given the opportunity (the birds were consuming more feeds without laying egg)as God may have it he accepted but I will give him commission.
I finished the sales of the 431 birds within two hours and gave him his commission for using some part of his space.
the upper week he wanted to go to ibadan to get fowl at fabis farm,that week his conductor was sick and he needed someone to go with him,I obliged to follow but that I need to buy mine too,that's how I started the business.
December the next year a man that I do buy feeds from (emmason)called me to intimate me that there's a farm he do supply feeds on credit that owed him(capuchin farm's)a roman Catholic farm,he asked weda I can help him sale their birds during that festive period that they're looking for who to buy in bulk for him to recoup his money.on dec 21 they gave me on credit 500 birds at the flat rate of #1000 each I sold 1500 because it was festive period, before 1 pm I went back for more 1000 birds I did sale also for 1500each(then I the market I said to myself na so person dey get money)the next day I took 2500 birds did the same.
my people that's how I became a millionaire at my second years of leaving nysc,I don tire to type
I now own a school with population of 680 pupils and do other business also.
Don't mind my typo and errors
never give up
be good to everyone
the best advert it's a satisfied customer
take a step and keep stepping
water where u are standing
believe..........
wow! You are so sincere. God wey change your shame to fame may he do am for us all wey believe in him.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by babyjoy92: 8:27pm On Sep 08, 2020
Dipsaint:

Bro!
Let's Connect.
I'm in level 3 studying Agricultural Engineering and I'm also into Cybersecurity
U can drop ur number on a dead thread, since u r going into cybersecurity hope u r making plans to get certified, networking and cyber security is not like programming u can do for fun, no certification nobody will even look at ur face, but if u can get certified jst start targeting Huawei n ipnx

1 Like

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Angelacruz: 8:30pm On Sep 08, 2020
following

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

How Much Is Your Current Salary? / FG Begins Payment Of N30,000 To N-power Beneficiaries Today, Says Minister / What Is The Most Suitable Job For A Married Woman With Kids?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.