Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? (42195 Views)

Too Many Young People Are Getting Stuck 2-5yrs After Graduation / My Journey After Graduation In 2012 / 5 Common Mistakes Graduates Make After Graduation That Hurts Their Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by JIMMY1393: 8:37pm On Sep 08, 2020
jelel6:

Take anything you can from this piece:-

When you start using words as 'better' to differentiate two different fields which solves two different problems, it's the first sign that you're approaching with an undesirable mentality.

Considering the topic of discussion and your questions, I think you're about to take a very important decision that will shape your future somewhat from here on. So, it's naturally that you're seeking for advice here.

When I was deciding to learn an IT skill, I literally spent more than a week doing my research and studying up to get a solid "overview".

I read articles on medium specifically. Medium is like the IT world playground. Read articles upon articles. I came across a 108 minutes-long articles on everything IT. It was the longest article I've ever seen written. ALL this I did before STARTING the journey proper.

I went through all those trouble because the last thing you'd want to do is second guess your decision to learn to code or do data science. You may end up spending more than a year without learning anything because your head and heart is not in the right place initially.

It may take you years to grasp any of the path you're contemplating. So take a few days to read ALL WHAT you can about data science and web development, independent of each other.

So don't start asking Google which is BETTER. Instead, ask what is web development and what is data science.

Whether you neglect or do both, focus on asking the right questions first. Don't take shortcuts when you're doing something like a 'feasibility study'.

Since I started on the programming pathway, I've only face what we call the 'imposter syndrome'. But I've never had self-doubt as to whether I made the right decision or not. And you can only give yourself that level of self-assurance when you know the PROS and CONS of what you're into.

Good luck

What is imposter syndrome?

And have you started making money or still learning ??
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Siberia01(m): 8:39pm On Sep 08, 2020
grin
very soon all this programming stuff will be over saturated
no be naija again ?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Veiniously: 8:39pm On Sep 08, 2020
Holyterrorist:
sad

Did int'l relations in uni after graduation no job,I sent out application letters to every known major organization still yet no job.

Alot of people came with the idea that I should learn a trade and create job for myself,I put on my thinking cap but still yet I couldn't figure out what biz or trade I could venture into because of no capital.

Man cannot go and kill himself,I just jejely look for one hp system,bought Airtel WiFi,got a solar system that can power my laptops 24/7 and then start my bombing hustle and I have never for once regretted this decision because I now earn more money than the average bank manager.Even my colleagues criticizing me back then are the ones pleading now to learn from me.
chairman how did u do it with just system and modem
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Stricklybidness(m): 8:41pm On Sep 08, 2020
justbonny:
Haaaa.... Labour market?
Hmmmmmmmmm

I suffer ehn.... But God took glory at last. It wasn't easy. I didn't know anyone in Port Harcourt, but God has answered me a whole lot.
Same thing I'm passing through I'm Abuja, but we keep grinding believing that one day, our time will come. While we are still waiting,we keep on learning more so that once the opportunity comes, we won't look foolish.
How PH nah? It's been long oooo
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by JIMMY1393: 8:43pm On Sep 08, 2020
babyjoy92:
Currently in my finals studying engineering, m into computer networking, have some certifications already but gathering money to take ccnp(i have my tutor as connect, he is a consultant and ready to assist me after graduation getting a job on this line)... Currently teaching 2hrs daily and earning 60k monthly, hoping to double this income by next month tho since m getting more link up to teach.... I believe which ever part you choose just be the best at it, when i started teaching b4 lockdown I was paid jst 5h per hours, I didn't mind jst wanted to impact knowledge but that service have opened doors for, my prayer is for university not to resume, because there is money in teaching if you are very sound... God help us all, reading comments here make graduation dey tire me, but i believe God... Work like you have not prayed and pray as tho you will never work

Where are you teaching if schools are closed ?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Smatkomo: 8:45pm On Sep 08, 2020
oceanized25:
if its not too much trouble,i'd like you to let me in on the online business...i have a lot of time and will put in my best.

You can reach me on WhatsApp
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by JIMMY1393: 8:45pm On Sep 08, 2020
FanOfMyself:

Hey there, yes you can work from home for any company as long as you prove your worth.
I have quality videos on various courses in various programming languages. These courses are perfectly suited for beginners. All you need is your computer and power supply. The videos are offline and you can watch and rewatch and keep it as reference.
Let me know if you are interested. I'm also going to be there to answer your questions, I have three people learning with my videos and they are doing so well.
I'm a practicing software developer with a degree in computer science btw

It's for sale abi?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Stricklybidness(m): 8:46pm On Sep 08, 2020
winkmart:
Well, It is exactly 10 years this year and I must say the journey has not been that easy. I never sought for employment though. I had been running business: Recharge Card in Bulk before it went South after some robbery incident.

I got some few connections with Baba Obasanjo, so I worked at OOPL for 2 years from 2015-2017. But that life was not what I was designed for. I resigned and went back to the drawing board.

Presently I freelance and I think I have made in 3 years what I was only able to gather in 7 years.

My ADVISE:
Enterpreneurship is not for everyone and office is not for everyone. Understand your calling and follow it. But I think it is okay to gather experience working with a corporate firm for 5-10 years before launching your own business full time.

Note:
It is foolish working at a Job without having a side business for passive income

the last line is everything.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by babyjoy92: 8:46pm On Sep 08, 2020
JIMMY1393:

Where are you teaching if schools are closed ?
Private tutorial online, my students is based abroad, got d link from nairaland, to b sincere don't joke with this nairaland, e dey change people life, but major tutorial centres r now running in lagos

2 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Stricklybidness(m): 8:47pm On Sep 08, 2020
Holyterrorist:
sad

Did int'l relations in uni after graduation no job,I sent out application letters to every known major organization still yet no job.

Alot of people came with the idea that I should learn a trade and create job for myself,I put on my thinking cap but still yet I couldn't figure out what biz or trade I could venture into because of no capital.

Man cannot go and kill himself,I just jejely look for one hp system,bought Airtel WiFi,got a solar system that can power my laptops 24/7 and then start my bombing hustle and I have never for once regretted this decision because I now earn more money than the average bank manager.Even my colleagues criticizing me back then are the ones pleading now to learn from me.
Bombing hustle?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 08, 2020
The ones who have jobs are not on Nairaland. It's not hard to explain.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by VTJN(m): 8:48pm On Sep 08, 2020
[quote author=solutionh post=93712308]I did poultry business that's egg production for the first year after my nysc from the money I saved during my service year,then most of my friends do insult me that I smell like fowl shit.then I do sale eggs,mine wasn't enough for customer's so I do buy from other farm's in village's to supplement mine,I did this for like a year and some months,when my birds stopped giving me maximum amount of eggs u started looking for a buyer as God may have it,as I was passing by I met a man (Ugo from okija) carrying a truck load of old layers(fowl)when I stopped him to enquire weda he deals on birds,he affirmed he does so I told him I have birds to sale and at good rate,he told me that he just brought birds from ibadan that he can't buy more for the week,I insisted that I can (the birds were consuming more feeds without laying egg)Wow this is so impressive, i'm about to start up a small mini poultry(broiler), please bro can i have your number so you could guide me? thanks!
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Stricklybidness(m): 8:50pm On Sep 08, 2020
Offpoint:
10 years after graduating and you can't find any problems on earth to solve with knowledge you acquired, then I'm afraid to say you're waste or you've wasted your time and resources.

Didn't even go to school, I read books upon books and find out to be rich you need to provide solutions to people problems.

I look around me, there was no problem... So I created one.
As sharp Yoruba guy, I enter Yankee begin dey knack oyibo "Ata" (pepper) for my neighbourhood and still cure them.. Naso I take hammer.

People wey create virus na dem create anti-virus.

All these sickness wey full world now, wey dem lie to una sey na from animals... Na people create them to take cash out.
Every sickness get permanent cure, but if them make permanent cure Na bad business for dem pharmaceutical companies, scientists and researchers... So dem give una temporal cure. Permanent cure means NO CASH OUT, temporal cure means STEADY CASH OUT.

To make money for this life na brain, nobi degree.
U even get money WA u carry enter yankee?
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by JIMMY1393: 8:51pm On Sep 08, 2020
FanOfMyself:

Ok, 0.9074191547 WhatsApp.
Note: I am a PHP and JavaScript developer, but I will furnish you with quality videos on python suitable for a beginner. But I am not a python developer, so I will not be able to provide technical support to you like I do for the others.
I'm a full stack Web developer, you can visit my personal website hosted on GitHub by clicking on the link on my signature below

Bro that your weather app was giving inaccurate results

Edit: sorry it was correct...the one I was using was in farenheit
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by mosho2good: 8:52pm On Sep 08, 2020
FanOfMyself:

Hey there, yes you can work from home for any company as long as you prove your worth.
I have quality videos on various courses in various programming languages. These courses are perfectly suited for beginners. All you need is your computer and power supply. The videos are offline and you can watch and rewatch and keep it as reference.
Let me know if you are interested. I'm also going to be there to answer your questions, I have three people learning with my videos and they are doing so well.
I'm a practicing software developer with a degree in computer science btw
I will really like if u can help me with the video
I'm planning to start learning programming by next month
I'm a private school teacher and since Tue lockdown everything is not being easy
I'm planning to start learning programming with Phyton
can I help me with the video and I can get to work immediately
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Goalnaldo(m): 8:54pm On Sep 08, 2020
magphilips:
I graduated 2005 from AAU, Ekpoma,i read international Studies and diplomacy, i didn't not bother looking for a job. i just start a business and i grown the business, and with time i invest in developing myself in other skill like network marketing and now am a pro in that area, making 6 figure monthly
my brother e dey sweet. i can show u if you like
boss I'm interested
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Stricklybidness(m): 8:54pm On Sep 08, 2020
Whizdorm001:
I'm 17, an undergraduate,200lvl to be precise and I have no skill whatsoever, please what skill will you advise me to learn.
Naija hard abeg
It depends on where your interest lies..
There are skills that I call survival skills like barging and driving which u can use to survive anywhere you find yourself.
Mechanic
Plumbing
Anything related to IT.
my two cent though.. I still de find my own.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Stricklybidness(m): 8:55pm On Sep 08, 2020
Prodigee:
Most graduates these days are just managing to survive if we want to tell ourselves the truth.
You can't learn a skill with an empty stomach.. Daily income first before any other thing.

1 Like

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Stricklybidness(m): 8:58pm On Sep 08, 2020
Emuf:
Graduated as a Mech Eng. Completed NYSC in 2011
Lectured for some months in a Poly
Moved to Manufacturing sector and was there for 2year.... I didn't like the sound of machines, I got tired of seeing wrenches, ratchets etc.
Moved into Project Planning - no wrenches and ratchets - just laptop
Then moved to Proj. Mgt.
God has been faithful.
I have interest in project management. Have done some couple of little projects, how do I keep improving myself before the big break comes?
I'm in Abuja and don't mind hooking up or working together with someone on any project.
Thanks
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Stricklybidness(m): 8:59pm On Sep 08, 2020
Kachi11061998:
Life after school.. thats when u will understand the reason why they include " So help God " in National Pledge .

If You have a SMART PHONE �
And you have no source of income�
Empower yourself with that SMART PHONE and build GENERATIONAL WEALTH . Join my whatsapp group and build a life time business with VTU

You can chat me up via whatSapp 08068739176

or

https:///K61K8M2SolR5G7N4UOBELP
Generational wealth kwa?

1 Like

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Stricklybidness(m): 9:00pm On Sep 08, 2020
smartgenius:
2011-2012 - nysc
2012 - 2014- masters in Nigeria on Exxon Mobil scholarship.
2014- 2019- Manager at Nigerian Breweries plc
2019 to date- Canada Permanent Resident, manager at a top company, doing MBA and also doing PhD on full scholarship.
I graduated in Nov. 2010.
Resiliency is the word. Just keep pushing. Don't give up.
Giving up is not an option.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Dizzyrascal(m): 9:01pm On Sep 08, 2020
Goalnaldo:
boss I'm interested
Goalnaldo if you still love your guy, abeg help me follow dat brother yarn....I am also interested in digital marketing if he is willing to teach, then am willing to learn....I nor mind at all....pls keep me updated....thanks(nor forget oooo, I serious die. I need options)
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Stricklybidness(m): 9:02pm On Sep 08, 2020
donestk:
Well, i have realized that we live in changing times. What sells in 1990 isn't selling now.

Tech industry is the number one wealth creator today.

I studied mass communication and learn a bit of wordpress. Was able to put up https://errands.ng for nigerians to get things done quickly.
This is nice.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by uncleck: 9:04pm On Sep 08, 2020
4 years after, no job
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Sep 08, 2020
i still work as a labourer
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Goalnaldo(m): 9:08pm On Sep 08, 2020
This thread will blow up like tissue paper own.

I studied Science laboratory Technology (OND) graduate in 2014. I learnt blogging in 2018 and currently learning email copywriting. I have a blog though not earning from it (in my signature). I learnt text animations. I'm open to self development and I currently want to learn cybersecurity from Coursera but no funds. I'm willing to learn new things.

2 Shares

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by JIMMY1393: 9:08pm On Sep 08, 2020
Samfloxin:

You are missing something. Somebody who is a senior federal worker earning 6 digit salary every month with other allowances with job security is out of the labour market.

Lecturing job in this country with 6 digits?? Which institution

1 Like

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by JIMMY1393: 9:09pm On Sep 08, 2020
Samfloxin:

You are missing something. Somebody who is a senior federal worker earning 6 digit salary every month with other allowances with job security is out of the labour market.

Lecturing job in this country with 6 digits?? Which institution
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by mosho2good: 9:11pm On Sep 08, 2020
magphilips:
I graduated 2005 from AAU, Ekpoma,i read international Studies and diplomacy, i didn't not bother looking for a job. i just start a business and i grown the business, and with time i invest in developing myself in other skill like network marketing and now am a pro in that area, making 6 figure monthly
my brother e dey sweet. i can show u if you like
can u show me Baba
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by JIMMY1393: 9:11pm On Sep 08, 2020
Siberia01:
grin

very soon all this programming stuff
will be over saturated

no be naija again ?

I doubt cos 1 it's not anyhow person that can do it...it's not like business that your average layman can do...you need to be smart and 2 technology is what's new and here to stay

4 Likes

Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by Adeniran906(m): 9:12pm On Sep 08, 2020
Dipsaint:

Bro!
Let's Connect.
I'm in level 3 studying Agricultural Engineering and I'm also into Cybersecurity
my course,i am also a final year student.
Re: 10 Years After Graduation: What Are Your Experiences In The Labour Market? by JIMMY1393: 9:12pm On Sep 08, 2020
babyjoy92:

Private tutorial online, my students is based abroad, got d link from nairaland, to b sincere don't joke with this nairaland, e dey change people life, but major tutorial centres r now running in lagos

Can you link me the site? I'm interested

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

How Much Is Your Current Salary? / What Is The Most Suitable Job For A Married Woman With Kids? / 200 Thousand Minimum Wage Breakdown By Chatgpt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.