Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

Biochemistry Or Medicine! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Biochemistry Or Medicine! (1205 Views)

Masters In Medical Biochemistry Or Masters In Public Health. / Phd Or Medicine And Surgery / Electrical Electronics Engineering Or Medicine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Kenny242(m): 10:21am On Sep 08, 2020
I have two question?

I just got admitted to UNI this year, and i initially want to go for medicine, but because of my low jamb(211) score I had to change to another course thats biochemistry.
Am having a change of mind now,
1. Should I apply for jamb next year again with possibility of making it to medicine

2. Is biochemistry a lucrative Course in Nigeria?

Guru in the house!!
I really need your advise, if biochemistry is a lucrative course then maybe I can stay

Cc lalasticlala
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Aremson14(m): 10:35am On Sep 08, 2020
Firstly I would say biochemistry isn't that lucrative in Nigeria. U can go ahead and try writing another Jamb whilst u still face the biochemistry. If the jamb still doesn't work out, ensure u graduate with at least a 2:1 with that u can gain admission via direct entry into medicine eliminating the need for writing Jamb and starting the medicine from yr2. Who knows may b by then u might have fall in love with biochemistry, and decide to fire to the phd level. As biochemistry is a very interesting course. But doesn't provide much opportunities in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 08, 2020
Aremson14:
Firstly I would say biochemistry isn't that lucrative in Nigeria. U can go ahead and try writing another Jamb whilst u still face the biochemistry. If the jamb still doesn't work out, ensure u graduate with at least a 2:1 with that u can gain admission via direct entry into medicine eliminating the need for writing Jamb and starting the medicine from yr2. Who knows may b by then u might have fall in love with biochemistry, and decide to fire to the phd level. As biochemistry is a very interesting course. But doesn't provide much opportunities in Nigeria
Cudnt have been said any better. In addition however, I'd advise u to try and change to departments like Medical Lab sc, physiotherapy ( not Physiology o), Nursing or Radiography, if u have the opportunity instead of Biochemistry. Biochemistry is a no no in Nigeria of today.

Mind u, don't go out of those courses I listed if u have the opportunity. But If not, strictly adhere to Aremson14's advice.

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Kenny242(m): 2:22pm On Sep 08, 2020
Lalasticlala
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Kenny242(m): 2:23pm On Sep 08, 2020
sherylbakky hupost=93701980:
Cudnt have been said any better. In addition however, I'd advise u to try and change to departments like Medical Lab sc, physiotherapy ( not Physiology o), Nursing or Radiotherapy, if u have the opportunity instead of Biochemistry. Biochemistry is a no no in Nigeria of today.

Mind u, don't go out of those courses I listed if u have the opportunity. But If not, strictly adhere to Aremson14 advice.

My school don't have nursing
How can I change from school to school
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Maj196(m): 3:08pm On Sep 08, 2020
Don't even waste your time and money studying biochemistry. It's not worth it

2 Likes

Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Abdulquadrimuha(m): 5:55pm On Sep 08, 2020
lalasticlala seun
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Kenny242(m): 7:27pm On Sep 08, 2020
Seun
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by holsconcept(m): 7:33pm On Sep 08, 2020
Biochemistry is a waste of money and time in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Kenny242(m): 8:35pm On Sep 08, 2020
Front page lalasticlala
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by khingTony(m): 9:02pm On Sep 08, 2020

If I'm to tell you the truth, Biochemistry is not that lucrative, But you can do other things with it, like going into Academics(first you'll do your masters, PhD and hopefully you can land a lecturing job).

But if you don't want to go through the stress(Masters and PhD is very stressful), then you should apply for Med Surg. Or any other medical course, Medical courses(especially Med. Surg. And Dent. Surg. are also very stressful, Sometimes you'll feel like giving up(practical sessions are very hectic, You'll have to sacrifice part your social life, and Pass through the hurdles of the MB(2nd professional) exam where the percentage of failure is overwhelming).

If you want med Surg. You'll have to sit up, yeah, you'll have to score way more than 211 in JAMB(300 is even small in some UNIs). If you feel you can't do it, then you should opt for other medical courses
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by calebify1(m): 9:13pm On Sep 08, 2020
Kenny242:
I have two question?

I just got admitted to UNI this year, and i initially want to go for medicine, but because of my low jamb(211) score I had to change to another course thats biochemistry.
1. Should I apply for jamb next year again with possibility of making it to medicine

Guru in the house!!
I really need your advise, if biochemistry is a lucrative course then maybe I can stay

Cc lalasticlala
Deep down you know the answers to your questions.
It's left for you to sit down and determine what you want.
People will only come here and dish out advise based on their own experience.
In your quiet time ask yourself what you really want.

1 Like

Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Kenny242(m): 7:33pm On Sep 09, 2020
Seun
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Kenny242(m): 2:29pm On Sep 10, 2020
Lalasticlala
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by samuelpeters(m): 3:55pm On Sep 10, 2020
Kenny242:
I have two question?

Guru in the house!!

Cc lalasticlala
You can apply for JAMB again. But have it in Mind that incase the score is high but not too high, do not hesitate to opt for other Medical Courses (MLS,Nursing, Radiography and physiotherapy).
Or Use your Degree and get DE to Medicine/Dentistry.

About biochemistry being lucrative,*sighs*. its really not easy in our Nigeria of today. Biochemistry in itself is not Lucrative. But you could be Lucky to Land a job in industries or Research centres.
You can also Further to PhD Level, Maybe you would Land a Lecturing Job.
Finally, you can still do the biochemistry and work anywhere. cheesy that is, those companies that requires any degree and 2:1.
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by JOACHINpedro: 4:24pm On Sep 10, 2020
Apply Next year.
Reasons are countless.
-No standard research centers
-No grants by the government
-Materials and reagents are not produced in a Nigeria.
-Med lab and Pharmacists have of occupied their slots in the labour market.
Etc
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Kenny242(m): 4:36pm On Sep 10, 2020
samuelpeters:

You can apply for JAMB again. But have it in Mind that incase the score is high but not too high, do not hesitate to opt for other Medical Courses (MLS,Nursing, Radiography and physiotherapy).
Or Use your Degree and get DE to Medicine/Dentistry.

About biochemistry being lucrative,*sighs*. its really not easy in our Nigeria of today. Biochemistry in itself is not Lucrative. But you could be Lucky to Land a job in industries or Research centres.
You can also Further to PhD Level, Maybe you would Land a Lecturing Job.
Finally, you can still do the biochemistry and work anywhere. cheesy that is, those companies that requires any degree and 2:1.

Thanks bro
Re: Biochemistry Or Medicine! by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 11, 2020
Kenny242:

My school don't have nursing
How can I change from school to school
Sincerely, I no longer av any idea about this. Ask ur colleagues/fellow students.

(1) (Reply)

Meet Laurent Simons, 9 Year Old University Graduate[photos] / 20 Signs On How To Know If A Girl Likes You But Hiding It / Lasu Third And Final Round Of Post Ume Result Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.