Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,272 members, 7,780,612 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:36 PM

Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry (28133 Views)

Gabriel Suswam's Elder Brother, Terkula Assassinated / David Mark, Gabriel Suswam Hand Over PDP Party Structure To Gov. Ortom / Gabriel Suswam Laughing As DSS Releases Him From Prison (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Nemere2020: 7:36pm On Sep 09, 2020
The Chairman, Senate Committee on Power, Senator Gabriel Suswam (PDP Benue North East), has condemned the killing of repentant Militia Leader in Benue State, Terwase Agwaza alias Gana, by men of the Nigerian Army in Gboko.

Suswam in a statement issued in Abuja, said Terwase’s killing after turning a new life from crime and criminality by soldiers was counter productive to peace already returning to the State .

According to him, in a situation where a criminal had surrendered for a new way of life after persuasion from elders and leaders in the community and later killed extra judicially by some State actors endangers the healing process as “this is the time to heal and not to kill “.
The statement reads : ” The events of September 8 2020 in my senatorial district where repentant criminals who had surrendered after extensive persuasions were singled out and killed extra judicially leaves a sour taste and has opened a gaping wound that requires all efforts to heal.

“It is no secret that my senatorial district has been traumatized and the people terrorized by activities of criminal gangs led by Mr. Terwase Agwaza alias Gana for many years.

” The consequences of this endless terrorism has been a steady decline of economic and social activities leaving a once prosperous people pauperized. Markets no longer attract traders, schools are closed and farmlands abandoned. Politics in the area has become war with an uncontrolled proliferation of dangerous weapons.

“No responsible leader will idly standby and watch his community become a theatre of war and a gangster’s paradise.

” It is with this solution mindset that traditional rulers, clergy men and elders of the area decided to utilize means of constructive engagement and dialogue to ensure that youths of the area do not become tools for the destruction of that society.

“The Benue State Government along with the security agencies have long desired for a return to normalcy, peace , prosperity and security of the area.

“We were all excited to see the dreaded Gana come out of hiding to the warm embrace of our Traditional Rulers, Clergy and political leaders at a public function at the Akume Atongo Stadium in Katsina Ala.

“Our joy was multiplied when we saw him along with his militia surrender arms and publicity renounce a life of crime. Our revered King extracted a pledge from him never to turn his kingdom into a wasteland.

“Those present at this forum heaved a great sigh of relief with the thought that finally, a life full of uncertainty has come to and end.

“I was totally dumbfounded to learn that while Gana was on his way to Makurdi the state capital to present himself to the State Governor who was waiting, his long convoy that included political leaders, Traditional rulers, clergy men and security agencies was ambushed by allegedly armed soldiers and he isolated and taken away.

“In the midst of the confusion, pictures began to circulate on social media of the bullet ridden body of Gana with a rifle callously placed on his side.

“While I have been consistent in condemning the reign of terror he unleashed on his community, I cannot in good conscience as a lawyer of over three decades and a senior parliamentarian accept cold blooded extra judicial murder of an unarmed person as a solution to our security problems.

“The lessons of the Boko Haram escalation after a similar murder of its leader are still here with us.

“If this method is accepted as a norm in our country, there will be no need for laws and courts. We stand to benefit more by subjecting suspects to due process of the law. Information extracted from a living Gana would have helped security agents get to the root of activities of criminals.

“By this gestapo style execution, we have missed an opportunity to learn vital lessons about the structure of crime in the area.

“Even war criminals captured alive are entitled to certain rights. The claim that Gana was killed in a gunfight needs further explanation because those who accompanied him and who watched him being taken away, including his Local Government Chairman do not believe he was in possession of any arms.

“An independent judicial commission of inquiry will unravel facts of the matter to serve as lessons for the future”
https://ait.live/suswam-condemns-terwase-killing-calls-for-judicial-inquiry/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by GamalNasser: 7:39pm On Sep 09, 2020
Hmmmm

1 Like

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by oluwadabira222(m): 7:40pm On Sep 09, 2020
The killing need to be probe indeed

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by ClassicMG(m): 7:42pm On Sep 09, 2020
In as much as I don't support extra judicial killing. I think the political leaders of benue are not been sincere with the whole thing.. he probably might be their machinery, going by how they are sympathetic to someone who according to them has killed so many people

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by heendrix(m): 7:50pm On Sep 09, 2020
What I really don't seem to understand was why the Army would have to cut one of his hand after killing him sad

Called a friend at Katsina ala and I got to know Gana himself knew he was gonna die even after he was warned he might not return alive, he left his key lieutenant behind and specifically told his boys not to take along any arms. after he was persuaded not to go His words were "I know but Death is not a face for me" anyways the whole of Katsina ala are now thrown to a mourning state atm embarassed

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Yobabad: 7:53pm On Sep 09, 2020
The killing of this man is not justifiable, why kill him when you can arrest him. If we call the shithole a zoo now it will look as if we are lieing

104 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by johnlvis(m): 7:56pm On Sep 09, 2020
Flush the evil elements away !

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Amotolongbo(f): 8:00pm On Sep 09, 2020
ClassicMG:
In as much as I don't support extra judicial killing. I think the political leaders of benue are not been sincere with the whole thing.. he probably might be their machinery, going by how they are sympathetic to someone who according to them has killed so many people
There is more to the killing.

Is he the only political thug machinery in Nigeria?

Kabaka, MC Oluomo et al are walking free

131 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 09, 2020
johnlvis:
Flush the evil elements away !

Nigeria's Fulani army eliminated the only threat to their subduing of the Benue people.

What happened was a revenge killing. Because nothing justifies the murder of someone who has accepted amnesty and surrendered arms; which the governor said all security agents were made aware of.

But the Fulani should hear this, that a thousand "Gana" shall rise from that land.

Fools!

189 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by heendrix(m): 8:07pm On Sep 09, 2020
Awol1:

Nigeria's Fulani army eliminated the only threat to their subduing of the Benue people.

What happened was a revenge killing. Because nothing justifies the murder of someone who has accepted amnesty and surrendered arms; which the governor said all security agents were made aware of.

But the Fulani should hear this, that a thousand "Gana" shall rise from that land.

Fools!

Exactly

95 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Danwakae(m): 8:07pm On Sep 09, 2020
ClassicMG:

Be specific , has killed many Fulani herdsmen...

The guy is a notorious gangstar , but he has always been the one defending his people against killer herdsmen in Nasarawa, Benue and Taraba ...

He was not charged to court be killing , which is wrong.... Baguba and Gololo , from the Fulani part who has killed many non fulani people have not been arrested , let alone killed , the military have been having meeting with him...but same military is quick to kill Gana... Unfair justice. You give Fulani bandits in Sokoto, Katsina , Zamfara, Kaduna amnesty , but killed a notorious gangstar for killing Fulani bandits in banue , Taraba.

117 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by SpecialAdviser(m): 8:08pm On Sep 09, 2020
The killing is fishy. What is driving sentiments on this killing for those who care to know are below;

1) There is the possibility that the military killed him in retaliation for Fulani herdsmen killings
2) There are many Boko Haram who were granted amnesty and is enjoying freely, why treat him different?
3) Benue governor never supported his killings, in fact his contradictory account shows how political the killing is.
4) There are many Gana types in the fulani camp, non has been killed even as they never repented.
5) Bandits have even been granted amnesty in Katsina and are even walk freely.
6) Any bad guy in the future will hardly turn a new leaf in the face of this betrayal.
7) There is the possibility of his followers taking up arms.

In all this, I am one person that will never be happy to see a killer walk free in the guise of amnesty or similar thing.
But my anger is that when you treat a particular criminal as a VIP and treat the other as a nonentity, you will be calling for sympathy.
Nigeria is a country that deserve serious RESET. It is a shame some sits down and believe something good can happen in the future.
We are not united in any form and leaders do not care. People like Buhari has amplified nepotism to a higher level and only time shall tell what
it portends for us as a nation. We need a society where any killer should be killed without pampering a particular set of killers.

125 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by kingzizzy: 8:17pm On Sep 09, 2020
In this day and age, someone who has already accepted the amnesty that was offered, came out of hiding, surrendered himself and arms in front of his leaders in a large stadium. On his way to see the Governor in company of his local government chairman, Soldiers stop the convoy, drag him out, take him away and execute him

Then the Army hold a press conference where they say that he was killed in a shootout

What a country

140 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by kingzizzy: 9:43pm On Sep 09, 2020
SpecialAdviser:
The killing is fishy. What is driving sentiments on this killing for those who care to know are below;

1) There is the possibility that the military killed him in retaliation for Fulani herdsmen killings
2) There are many Boko Haram who were granted amnesty and is enjoying freely, why treat him different?
3) Benue governor never supported his killings, in fact his contradictory account shows how political the killing is.
4) There are many Gana types in the fulani camp, non has been killed even as they never repented.
5) Bandits have even been granted amnesty in Katsina and are even walk freely.
6) Any bad guy in the future will hardly turn a new leaf in the face of this betrayal.
7) There is the possibility of his followers taking up arms.

In all this, I am one person that will never be happy to see a killer walk free in the guise of amnesty or similar thing.
But my anger is that when you treat a particular criminal as a VIP and treat the other as a nonentity, you will be calling for sympathy.
Nigeria is a country that deserve serious RESET. It is a shame some sits down and believe something good can happen in the future.
We are not united in any form and leaders do not care. People like Buhari has amplified nepotism to a higher level and only time shall tell what
it portends for us as a nation. We need a society where any killer should be killed without pampering a particular set of killers.

Next time another militant is offered amnesty for him to give up his arms, do you think anyone will agree to that when they remember what was done to Gana? Many Nigerians dont think of the long term effects of the injustice they choose to ignore today

76 Likes

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by IamWonderful: 9:47pm On Sep 09, 2020
Is Nigeria a curse nation? politicians don't condemn the killing of lawful people.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Onuoraijele: 10:06pm On Sep 09, 2020
Awol1:

Fools!
why do our people like supporting evil. This man has killed thousands of Benue indigines than the anything. Where was he when fulani are killing thousands of people in Benue state. He even confess to have work with the Fulanis on attacking communities. Why are we defending this man

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Onuoraijele: 10:10pm On Sep 09, 2020
Danwakae:

Be specific , has killed many Fulani herdsmen...

The guy is a notorious gangstar , but he has always been the one defending his people against killer herdsmen in Nasarawa, Benue and Taraba ...

He was not charged to court be killing , which is wrong.... Baguba and Gololo , from the Fulani part who has killed many non fulani people have not been arrested , let alone killed , the military have been having meeting with him...but same military is quick to kill Gana... Unfair justice. You give Fulani bandits in Sokoto, Katsina , Zamfara, Kaduna amnesty , but killed a notorious gangstar for killing Fulani bandits in banue , Taraba.
That Gana has killed more Benue people. I don't know where you people are getting your informations from. That man is only after money and power. He has murdered alot of Agatu and Tiv people. Politicians in Benue state also use him to cause unrest. I don't know why you all seeing him as a Hero because they told you he is killing herdsmen

27 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Mentcee(m): 10:19pm On Sep 09, 2020
ClassicMG:

Yoruboid

5 Likes

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Mentcee(m): 10:27pm On Sep 09, 2020
Onuoraijele:
I have lived in Benue state for over 20yrs now. That Gana has killed more Benue people. I don't know where you people are getting your informations from. That man is only after money and power. He has murdered alot of Agatu and Tiv people. Politicians in Benue state also use him to cause unrest. I don't know why you all seeing him as a Hero because they told you he is killing herdsmen

You must be a Fulani.

That guy blood will and is on your head!

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by ClassicMG(m): 11:09pm On Sep 09, 2020
Mentcee:

Yoruboid
I won't stoop so low to that your level of idiocy

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by BrutusOj(m): 11:33pm On Sep 09, 2020
ClassicMG:
What's your stance on the boko haram amnesty?

12 Likes

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Danwakae(m): 11:40pm On Sep 09, 2020
Onuoraijele:
I have lived in Benue state for over 20yrs now. That Gana has killed more Benue people. I don't know where you people are getting your informations from. That man is only after money and power. He has murdered alot of Agatu and Tiv people. Politicians in Benue state also use him to cause unrest. I don't know why you all seeing him as a Hero because they told you he is killing herdsmen

Oh, they told you he killed people in Benue, Nasawara and Taraba states for tiv people ??

No doubt Gana is a well known criminal , apart from the number of victims he killed , he has killed more of Fulani herdsmen in last 4 years , this is a fact ... My relatives are still in Katsina Alla, I am from Taraba state , I am not a Tiv nor Idoma , but the truth need to be said.

The Army killed Gana because of the herdsmen he killed and not because of his notorious activities, if truly u have live in Benue for 20year, u should know that Gana is not the first notorious leader... Many are still in trial as I type , but why the rush to kill him ?

How many leader of the killer herdsmen responsible for the killings of Benue people have the army killed , or those arrested , how many have been charged to court ?, ....they have all been released.

Did the Army via the state govts granted amnesty to herdsmen in
Katsina
Zamfara
Sokoto... YES or NO ??... the bandits did not only engage the army in gun battle but also killed many soldiers and officers .

Did the Army granted amnesty to Boko haram

YES or NO ?... Did Boko haram not engage and killed nigeians on many occasions

Let us be fair to ourselves as Nigerians , I am from Lao , Taraba state, I am presently in Edo State , and if we must call ourselves nigerians , we must be fair to ourselves and speak the truth always ..

It would have been a different story if Gana is arrested and charged to court to face all the atrocities committed, but he was attacked and killed under the Benue State govt convoy...

There is a big problem. Ahead for Nigeria ...we saw same issue in Adamawa , after the Fulani attacked in a community, killed and damages properties , 5 youth who survived the attack wen for a reprisal, and they were arrested by the army , immediately charged to court and given life imprisonment...anybody that care about the unity of Nigeria must be ready to speak the truth at this time ..same thing the army did against the gbagys in Niger State for the fulanis...

Most africa countries have started cattle colony , but Nigeria doesn't want to move forward , the govt still want herders to graze on farmers crops ...that's wickedness... There are RUGA in Niger State , but yet , these herders will still go beyond to farm land... Because they have foreign herders backup and govt supports , there is danger ahead with this.

107 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Onuoraijele: 11:48pm On Sep 09, 2020
Danwakae:

Oh, they told you he killed people in Benue, Nasawara and Taraba states for tiv people ??

No doubt Gana is a well known criminal , apart from the number of victims he killed , he has killed more of Fulani herdsmen in last 4 years , this is a fact ... My relatives are still in Katsina Alla, I am from Taraba state , I am not a Tiv nor Idoma , but the truth need to be said.

The Army killed Gana because of the herdsmen he killed and not because of his notorious activities, if truly u have live in Benue for 20year, u should know that Gana is not the first notorious leader... Many are still in trial as I type , but why the rush to kill him ?

How many leader of the killer herdsmen responsible for the killings of Benue people have the army killed , or those arrested , how many have been charged to court ?, ....they have all been released.

Did the Army via the state govts granted amnesty to herdsmen in
Katsina
Zamfara
Sokoto... YES or NO ??... the bandits did not only engage the army in gun battle but also killed many soldiers and officers .

Did the Army granted amnesty to Boko haram

YES or NO ?... Did Boko haram not engage and killed nigeians on many occasions

Let us be fair to ourselves as Nigerians , I am from Lao , Taraba state, I am presently in Edo State , and if we must call ourselves nigerians , we must be fair to ourselves and speak the truth always ..

It would have been a different story if Gana is arrested and charged to court to face all the atrocities committed, but he was attacked and killed under the Benue State govt convoy...

There is a big problem. Ahead for Nigeria ...we saw same issue in Adamawa , after the Fulani attacked in a community, killed and damages properties , 5 youth who survived the attack wen for a reprisal, and they were arrested by the army , immediately charged to court and given life imprisonment...anybody that care about the unity of Nigeria must be ready to speak the truth at this time ..same thing the army did against the gbagys in Niger State for the fulanis...

Most africa countries have started cattle colony , but Nigeria doesn't want to move forward , the govt still want herders to graze on farmers crops ...that's wickedness... There are RUGA in Niger State , but yet , these herders will still go beyond to farm land... Because they have foreign herders backup and govt supports , there is danger ahead with this.
Gana is working with fulani Herdsman. Why are you trying to rewrite history. This man have been killing Benue people for years where is he when Fulanis were killing Benue indigines on daily basis. You people should stop supporting evil

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Danwakae(m): 12:11am On Sep 10, 2020
Onuoraijele:
Gana is working with fulani Herdsman. Why are you trying to rewrite history. This man have been killing Benue people for years where is he when Fulanis were killing Benue indigines on daily basis. You people should stop supporting evil

You are not serious , u r wicked ... Gana has been decleard wanted since 2016 after he was acused of killing Gov's Orton aid..., During the heat of herdsmen killings in Benue , Gana was alleged to be behind those stealing cattles and killing herders in Benue and Nasarawa state , he was decleard a terrorist by then CP Fatai Awoseni...

Are you saying Gana is also the one supporting Fulani killings in

Plateau
Taraba
Niger
Osun
Ondo
Enugu
Delta... ?

You better stop being political with the truth, this is a serious issue, the same thing u said , is what Oshomole, security adviser to the president, Sen George Akume all APC members said at the onset of the Benue killings until the herdsmen were arrested and they made it known to the world that their killing is because of the anti-grazing law sign by Gov Ortom, and now you want to re-write an event of less than 3years...to what relation is Gana who was known for kidnapping gat to do with Anti-grazing law that he would support Fulani to kill his people ??...

Oh, it is Gana that is supporting herdsmen to kill farmers all over the country ??.. you are wicked, now he has been killed , let's see if herdsmen killing will stop in Benue and other part of the country...

You people are not helping this nation at all with your false claim, you are only fast tracking the break up of the nation, and history will not be kind with you people... I want peace , I am not against the Fulani...we have indigenous Fulani in my village in Taraba state ..my most elder sister is married to a Fulani man ...we should speak the truth against favouritism... No amount of lies can hide the character of a criminal , the Truth will always reveal itself...

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Charmingrascal(m): 2:57am On Sep 10, 2020
The main reason why The Army executed him was because he has been a thorn in the flesh to Fulani terrorists terrorizing Benue State.
His execution was an order from above in order to give way for Fulani to resume their attacks on Benue people.
I guess at a point people supported him and perhaps the Benue State govt funded him since he was more proactive in dealing with Fulani terrorists than security operatives.

However it is important to note that those who live by sword die by sword, Karma did her thing.

21 Likes

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Aufbauh(m): 3:46am On Sep 10, 2020
Seems Gana's sponsors are crawling out of their hideout one after the other.

Gana was created by the PDP government in Benue State and they won't be happy about his death. It's on record that Gana was a major political player during the Suswam's administration.

Like someone said even if the Nigeria army kill Shekau some people will still protest and complain.

11 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Vado(m): 4:05am On Sep 10, 2020
Onuoraijele:
why do our people like supporting evil. This man has killed thousands of Benue indigines than the anything. Where was he when fulani are killing thousands of people in Benue state. He even confess to have work with the Fulanis on attacking communities. Why are we defending this man

STFU janjaweedian. Show us an evidence he has killed thousands of people. Nobody is patting criminals on the back but you can't give Boko Haram and Fulani herdsmen VIP treatments; having meetings with them and even going as far as paying them but execute another criminal from another part of the country that did similar thing even after turning a new leaf.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Timekeeper: 4:31am On Sep 10, 2020
I condemn it too
Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by Dominiqueismad: 4:32am On Sep 10, 2020
Ok
Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by CodeTemplar: 4:33am On Sep 10, 2020
MB Amnesty loading.
Re: Gabriel Suswam Condemns Terwase Killing, Calls For Judicial Inquiry by BOOZELEE: 4:34am On Sep 10, 2020
The man was not killed..He was murdered by the Nigerian army.

The way the army hyped themselves after the murder is very shameful.
They were like the COMMANDER of the FOUR SPECIAL FORCES and his men killed gana in a shoot out.which shoot out?
The special forces didn't kill him in the bush when he was ready for action to show how special there force is.They killed the guy when he surrendered and dropped his guard.
If an Ill equipped gana with few men could not be tracked and captured in a fair open battle by our SPECIAL FORCES then the Nigerian army should hide there face in shame.

72 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Esther Bassey, LG Chairman, Dies In Cross River / Rapper Erigga Vows To Vote For Peter Obi As President / Osinbajo Presides Over Emergency FEC Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.