Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,937 members, 7,806,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:39 PM

Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? (37936 Views)

Banks Have Stopped Giving Dollars. What is Your Experience? / Sunti Sugar To Retain All 2,400 Staff Despite COVID-19 Challenges / How To Recover Funds From Accounts Of Deceased Loved Ones. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Fheelzz(m): 8:17pm On Sep 10, 2020
I wonder why only a person can access his own account

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by ayenale1(m): 8:18pm On Sep 10, 2020
No be una go report sey papa don die??

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by lielbree: 8:18pm On Sep 10, 2020
Tax.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by ZinoFasisi: 8:18pm On Sep 10, 2020
elchariotlp:
Either the Staff that advised you is ignorant or you did not understand the advise given.

10% of the money is payable as Estate Fee to the Government. The sum is usually paid by the Administrators (survivors of the deceased) before the Letter of Administration is issued while in some states, the Court directs the Bank to deduct the 10% and remit it to the state while the Balance is made available to the Administrators.

All that the Bank deducts averages 5k to 10k expanded in confirming the Letters of Administration or Court Order from the Probate Registry or Court respectively.

I thought that only applies to people that wrote will?
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by MyLottoHub: 8:18pm On Sep 10, 2020
We learn everyday.

Check my signature
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Vado(m): 8:19pm On Sep 10, 2020
Wait, are they going to pay what's left of 10% on each deposit made on monthly basis or the overall amount left? I mean since you said the late person is still receiving his entitlements.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Lecturebidz(m): 8:19pm On Sep 10, 2020
It's called Bank inheritance
grin
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Chijeep(m): 8:20pm On Sep 10, 2020
It's for compensation they receives for telling him that "thank you for banking with us"
thieves parading themselves as bankers.
10% ko 3% ni

4 Likes

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by EgunMogaji2: 8:20pm On Sep 10, 2020
peacenaija:
Dear Nairalanders,

Trust we all keeping safe.

I really need clarification from bankers and experienced persons in the house. A friend of my lost her father recently and they have started receiving their father’s entitlement which was paid into the account domiciled with a Nigerian bank operated by the deceased.

However, my friend’s mum lost their dad’s ATM, so they reported to the bank with the death certificate and requested for a new ATM or the money moved to another account but the bank is now asking for a letter of Administration and they will take 10% of the money left in the deceased account.

My grouse is not the letter of administration but the 10% they are asking on another person’s entitlement. Is there any law backing this? How can we go about it because the money is a substantial amount?

I'd appreciate your advice and clarifications. Thanks

I had to go to court to get Polaris to get my mums balance.

The judge ordered 5% to be deducted for probate department. Seems pretty straightforward.

7 Likes

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 10, 2020
seniormallam:
Very true, going to the state government pox,
Baba just thank God, some stingy father's won't even let you know they have account with such money then they'll now die suddenly, it's either one bank staff move the money or after 10years the money get moved to CBN.
Some men are stupid sha, how can you decide to dash government your life savings instead of disclosing your accounts to your wife or child even if they don't know the balance at least they have the number
How is the father foolish?
What does it matter to a dead man if his children or a stranger inherits his property?
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by uuzba(m): 8:21pm On Sep 10, 2020
Go and pack the money and keep under mattress before the person dies to avoid all this long French.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Hausaamaka: 8:21pm On Sep 10, 2020
If you ask me na who i go ask
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by KristaPretty(f): 8:22pm On Sep 10, 2020
dingbang:
Wonderful. The only thing that is being debited from a deceased account is search report which is not even based on % basis. I am just hearing this for the first time.

True.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by OlujobaSamuel: 8:23pm On Sep 10, 2020
ZinoFasisi:

I thought that only applies to people that wrote will?
No, it applies to those without a Will.
Those with a will don't need a letter of administration, I think theirs is a Probate Letter, and they don't charge such cost because it is believed that the deceased attorney has charged for such.

2 Likes

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Gamesmart: 8:23pm On Sep 10, 2020
Just look at this thread.

Loads of Nigerian "yoots" commented without any idea/knowledge about laws or the logic behind the deduction. Whether it was legal or not.

Unemployable dunces!

This is why a company will advertise a job vacancy in Nigeria and say "Indians Only" can apply.

Useless yoots!

https://www.nairaland.com/6108650/indians-only-job-advert-abuja/3#93773152

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by bizzibodi(m): 8:24pm On Sep 10, 2020
Government are d biggest legal thieve all over d world.

4 Likes

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by FuckOsuPigs: 8:24pm On Sep 10, 2020
OP, the submission of elchariotlp is absolutely correct. Read it and learn.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by abbasajao(m): 8:26pm On Sep 10, 2020
Is it a micro finance bank?
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by uuzba(m): 8:26pm On Sep 10, 2020
Lecturebidz:
It's called Bank inheritance
grin
I wonder O.
That you kept money inside the bank does not mean you should go and sleep or die.
The bank will try everything it can to steal some or all of your money. Sorry, that's just life.
If you don't like it, keep the money in your own personal safe, under your mattress or invest it in other people so you can gain profit from them instead.
The bank is never your friend . All those SMS and email their always writing used to cost money na!?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by GeneralOpe(m): 8:26pm On Sep 10, 2020
To get any funds domiciled in a deceased person account; you will need a letter of administration. The 10% being required is not charged by the bank but by the state govt. They will need to get a letter of administration and take it to the bank before those funds will be released and it’s a long and tiring process. We are almost done with ours and we have spent about 20% of the total amount in our late dad account trying to get the letter of administration. We have not even paid the lawyer.

5 Likes

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by alizma: 8:26pm On Sep 10, 2020
This is why joint account is good. Just put instruction that one person can sign if is the man that is doing d withdrawal but two must sign if the woman is withdrawing. However, in the event of death of the man, the woman automatically can sign as sole signatory without any hindrance whatsoever.

5 Likes

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Tajbol4splend(m): 8:27pm On Sep 10, 2020
Bankers, Pharmacists, PHCN, Medical Doctors, are the most greedy set of people after the people in our government

3 Likes

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by OgbanjeProphet: 8:27pm On Sep 10, 2020
When next you want to open an account with a nigerian bank, read their terms and conditions very well...

Learn to read every damned word on the papers presented to you before you sign them. Because in them contain their very right to withhold the 10 percent...

3 Likes

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by optimus106(m): 8:28pm On Sep 10, 2020
angry
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Adedotguy: 8:28pm On Sep 10, 2020
sad
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Sep 10, 2020
Quickly write a complaint to consumer protection in CBN and see how the bank will start behaving themselves. You should name and shame that bank. Very useless people

3 Likes

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by adisabarber(m): 8:29pm On Sep 10, 2020
Looks like they were receiving a dead man's pension
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by friday2011(m): 8:31pm On Sep 10, 2020
That is not true...

All the bank need is a letter of administration and birth certificate to convert the account to ESTATE OF MR LAGBAJA
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by tellmoon(m): 8:31pm On Sep 10, 2020
OgbanjeProphet:
When next you want to open an account with a nigerian bank, read their terms and conditions very well...

Learn to read every damned word on the papers presented to you before you sign them. Because in them contain their very right to withhold the 10 percent...

It is not about the bank my friend. It is an existing law that requires the deduction of a certain percentage of the estate in transfered from the deceased to the beneficiary.

5 Likes

Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by donwily(m): 8:33pm On Sep 10, 2020
Tithe
Don't worry, Freezer will soon come after them.
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by OgbanjeProphet: 8:33pm On Sep 10, 2020
tellmoon:

It is not about the bank my friend. It is an existing law that requires the deduction of a certain percentage of the estate in transfered from the deceased to the beneficiary.
Ok sir. Adonhia cool
Re: Do Nigeria Banks Have The Right To Retain 10% From A Deceased’s Account? by RPG2020(m): 8:34pm On Sep 10, 2020
Write letter to buhari report them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Do I Retrieve Money I Borrowed My Crush? / CHYMALL: The New Retail Business of making $120 daily from home / Kano Currency Exchange Market In 1964

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.