Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week (26927 Views)

NLC North & South-West Will Not Join The NLC Strike Against Fuel Price Hike / No Protest Against Fuel Subsidy Removal For Now – Labour / Ojota Protest: Lauretta Onochie Won't Join Protest Against Fuel Price Increase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by FRANKOSKI(m): 11:56am On Sep 11, 2020
NAIJA IS A SCAM!!
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by SAMBARRY: 11:58am On Sep 11, 2020
Prettyvita:
I just don't understand why citizens can't demonstrate freely in a democratic nation.
To think that they want the youth to come out and protest again the government knowing fully well how protesters are treated is heartbreaking.
no they should sit down and continue watching bbn.shebi Erica and kidwaya is more important than the future of Nigeria
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by ericfabulous(m): 11:58am On Sep 11, 2020
When nothing works in our society what should we expect?

Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by Wettoid123: 12:03pm On Sep 11, 2020
GamalNasser:
No need for all this ...the truth remains Nigeria doesn't need to go back to Subsidy again, subsidy only made friends of any sitting president super rich without any work or creativity being exchanged for such work and it bled the ability to save of a poor country like Nigeria .. Any protest now will just make the fragile Economy to get worst and I don't think the govt will budge not because they don't have empathy bit because the can't afford subsidy as it is now ..

am surprise uou talk like this, if govt surpluses were use for infrastructural development over the years we wont be at this level today corruption is killing this country, during the era of jonathan this govr told us that there was nothing like subsidy that it was a scam
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by toniotonero(m): 12:04pm On Sep 11, 2020
And dat useless NLC president is just chilling like his incompetent brother in aso

1 Like

Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by GoodGovernance: 12:08pm On Sep 11, 2020
There obvious circumstances when a protest against bad governance is inevitable.

I do not think this is one of those.

Fuel and electricity subsidy removal this time around ,is an economic inevitability.I pray we all survive it collectively.

And any one comparing now with the time we had such a protest in 2012 or thereabout,must be living in fools' paradise. The exchange rates and oil revenue are not the same.

The present government removed the subsidy at the right time,when oil price was at its lowest ebb.We all enjoyed the lower prices for some time.

If prices are now rising,it would be foolhardy now,to call for a return of the same subsidy.Or how else do we expect prices to be reduced to N85(very laughable) or more?

My humble take.
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by Chirowman(m): 12:25pm On Sep 11, 2020
You and who for this country wey Don red I no follow ooooo

1 Like

Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by Frodos: 12:36pm On Sep 11, 2020
you yourself what are you doing?

1 Like

Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by WorkTheTalk(m): 12:37pm On Sep 11, 2020
A step in the right direction
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by ezechi24(m): 12:41pm On Sep 11, 2020
GamalNasser:
No need for all this ...the truth remains Nigeria doesn't need to go back to Subsidy again, subsidy only made friends of any sitting president super rich without any work or creativity being exchanged for such work and it bled the ability to save of a poor country like Nigeria .. Any protest now will just make the fragile Economy to get worst and I don't think the govt will budge not because they don't have empathy bit because the can't afford subsidy as it is now ..

What are you saying?...can you compair this economy with that of when subsidies where still paid?...were there much hunger in the land when subsidy was still paid?.. Please think critically before you type...we have a humongous amount of debt in our hands at the moment, did we have such debts when we were paying subsidies... Please call a spade a spade buhari is a demon my pain is that he still has 3 whole years ahead ...just 9 months of his four years we are already in a big mess, just imagine how it would look like in three years time...God help us all because we will fight both famine, hunger, terrorists, brokenness, inflation, kidnapping, joblessness, tears, suffering, robberies, cultism, fraud and the list goes on. cry cry

1 Like

Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by Olichoke: 12:47pm On Sep 11, 2020
Hypocrisies full this country o. Where were the NLC and TUC members that protested in 2013? Is it because of the fear of the dictator in power?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by lexy2014: 12:57pm On Sep 11, 2020
GamalNasser:

Every uncertainty puts pressure on the Economy bro ..Last week Buhari made a grave Economic mistake by increasing Fuel price and Electricity tarriffs in the same week and that action put pressure on the Economy in terms of inflation and further erosion of the savings capacity of the middle class ..But now the mistake has been there is no need for any mass protest as it will will destabilize the production chain of the Economy if the protest succeeds in keeping people of work ...I am not a fan of Buhari but the truth is that Nigeria cannot afford any subsidy at this point and it's all because of Buharis bad leadership

Yes, I no ur stance with d buhari administration. But your argument on this issue is faulty & very unconvincing. I asked u earlier, what makes d Nigerian economy fragile? U haven't been able to answer that question. If u can't say what makes d economy fragile, then what's d basis for that conclusion?

Also, I don't no where& how protests affects d economy. I am yet to see how that is possible & what & what production process will be disrupted. U are yet to establish a correlation between protests& inflation. Is it protests that is responsible for d increase in d price of consumer goods in d last 5years? Is it protests that is responsible for unemployment in Nigeria? If d economy hasn't been functioning well, it's very pedestrian of u to blame protesters for that. Its d managers of d economy that u should hold responsible for d fragility of d economy. That comment is very disappointing.

If u feel people shouldn't come out to demand for their rights from govt& for better governance, then u have no business criticising buhari.

If u say subsidy is a misnomer, then pls tell me how this is justified:

Meanwhile, Buhari & d rest of d political class and their families eat free food, drink free water& drinks, wear free clothes, read free newspaper, enjoy free internet & phone calls, free air and road transportation, free medical care, free electricity, free water, free security, free entertainment & DStv, free accomodation at home& abroad and several other freebies we don't even know for doing nothing. Pls who is paying for all these freebies. is it d American economy that is sustaining d freebies?

1 Like

Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by lexy2014: 12:59pm On Sep 11, 2020
GoodGovernance:
There obvious circumstances when a protest against bad governance is inevitable.

I do not think this is one of those.

Fuel and electricity subsidy removal this time around ,is an economic inevitability.I pray we all survive it collectively.

And any one comparing now with the time we had such a protest in 2012 or thereabout,must be living in fools' paradise. The exchange rates and oil revenue are not the same.

The present government removed the subsidy at the right time,when oil price was at its lowest ebb.We all enjoyed the lower prices for some time.

If prices are now rising,it would be foolhardy now,to call for a return of the same subsidy.Or how else do we expect prices to be reduced to N85(very laughable) or more?

My humble take.

Buhari & d rest of d political class and their families eat free food, drink free water& drinks, wear free clothes, read free newspaper, enjoy free internet & phone calls, free air and road transportation, free medical care, free electricity, free water, free security, free entertainment & DStv, free accomodation at home& abroad and several other freebies we don't even know for doing nothing. Pls who is paying for all these freebies. is it d American economy that is sustaining d freebies?
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by ikorodureporta: 1:05pm On Sep 11, 2020
to reverse NEPA hike is even more important
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by mfm04622: 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2020
lexy2014:

According to u:

"Nobody is setting price anymore."

So u mean d price just moved from 145 to 162 by itself? Are u sure u aren't d one in need of Google?

What exactly is d "market price" u are referring to compared to.d "set price"?

Since then, Govt had said price will no longer be set. Even, Govt did not set the price to 162. I challenge you to provide evidence of that! What PMC set was the price PMS will be sold at depot which was set at 152. Which it has the right to do as it is the price NNPC want to sell to her customers. Her customers now have the right to sell at filling station at the price they want.
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by ddestiny20(m): 1:24pm On Sep 11, 2020
How difficult is it to build a refinery am just asking cause for 5 years now no single one was built as against every year 1 refinery

1 Like

Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by lexy2014: 1:28pm On Sep 11, 2020
mfm04622:

Since then, Govt had said price will no longer be set. Even, Govt did not set the price to 162. I challenge you to provide evidence of that! What PMC set was the price PMS will be sold at depot which was set at 152. Which it has the right to do as it is the price NNPC want to sell to her customers. Her customers now have the right to sell at filling station at the price they want.

When I read what u just wrote above& this earlier comment u made below, I am forced to laugh.

"Please keep up with news. Nobody is setting price anymore. Go and Google that information".

I ask again, are u sure u are actually following ur own advise? If u say government didn't set d price at 162, kindly tell me how d price became 162? I asked u that question earlier, u are yet to tell me how d price became 162.
Pls who or what is "PMC"? U said "since then"? What does that mean? When is "since then"?
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by SeniorGee(m): 1:33pm On Sep 11, 2020
Doing the right thing at the wrong time, misplaced priorities.. this protest no make sense in my opinion. Look for better ways to engage the government.
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by galaxy2020(m): 1:35pm On Sep 11, 2020
grin grin grin....minus south south and south east, they other regions brought this plague on this country, so they should deal with it.

1 Like

Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by mfm04622: 1:37pm On Sep 11, 2020
lexy2014:

When I read what u just wrote above& this earlier comment u made below, I am forced to laugh.

"Please keep up with news. Nobody is setting price anymore. Go and Google that information".

I ask again, are u sure u are actually following ur own advise? If u say government didn't set d price at 162, kindly tell me how d price became 162? I asked u that question earlier, u are yet to tell me how d price became 162.
Pls who or what is "PMC"? U said "since then"? What does that mean? When is "since then"?

E be like say you like argument! If you want to be informed, go and search for what the Minister of State for Petroleum said. E no hard like that
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by lexy2014: 1:45pm On Sep 11, 2020
mfm04622:

E be like say you like argument! If you want to be informed, go and search for what the Minister of State for Petroleum said. E no hard like that

U de run? I thought u are informed, "keep up with the news" and use Google? I didn't argue with u. I only asked u simple questions but u seem not to have answers. Y can't u search & use Google to answer d questions I asked u? Meanwhile, d following questions I asked u have nothing to do with what u just said.

"I ask again, are u sure u are actually following ur own advise? If u say government didn't set d price at 162, kindly tell me how d price became 162? I asked u that question earlier, u are yet to tell me how d price became 162.
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by lexy2014: 1:46pm On Sep 11, 2020
SeniorGee:
Doing the right thing at the wrong time, misplaced priorities.. this protest no make sense in my opinion. Look for better ways to engage the government.

What are "better ways to engage the government"?
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by otokx(m): 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2020
SpecialAdviser:
From N160 to N86.5? Lol where were they when it was taken from N86.5 to N143?

Not possible ooooo

How did they come about the 86.5?
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by otokx(m): 2:46pm On Sep 11, 2020
ddestiny20:
How difficult is it to build a refinery am just asking cause for 5 years now no single one was built as against every year 1 refinery

You need to visit Okrika the site of the refinery in Port Harcourt; you will weep at the level of environmental devastation and deep poverty of those staying around.
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by mfm04622: 2:51pm On Sep 11, 2020
lexy2014:

U de run? I thought u are informed, "keep up with the news" and use Google? I didn't argue with u. I only asked u simple questions but u seem not to have answers. Y can't u search & use Google to answer d questions I asked u? Meanwhile, d following questions I asked u have nothing to do with what u just said.

"I ask again, are u sure u are actually following ur own advise? If u say government didn't set d price at 162, kindly tell me how d price became 162? I asked u that question earlier, u are yet to tell me how d price became 162.

I have answered your question, even told you the person that made the statement. I also challenged you to bring evidence Fg, NNPC or PPPRA set the 162 price. Do you have comprehension problem?
Since you want to be fed, follow this link. https://insidemainland.com/2020/09/09/fg-will-no-longer-set-price-bands-for-petrol-as-full-deregulation-kicks-in-2/
Marketers are used to a certain margin PPPRA or NNPC give on ex-depot price. They just applied that themselves to set the price at 162. I won't engage you again if you don't provide evidence FG or any agency set the 162 price. Or provide evidence FG or any agency is still setting price.
Also, the FG setting price (actual or band) does not mean there is subsidy. they are different things
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by Olaolufred(m): 3:01pm On Sep 11, 2020
Issorait.

I will be watching you on TV.

Una Weldone.
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by SpecialAdviser(m): 3:14pm On Sep 11, 2020
otokx:

How did they come about the 86.5?

That was the price when Jonathan left the presidency.
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by SeniorGee(m): 3:17pm On Sep 11, 2020
lexy2014:

What are "better ways to engage the government"?

By taking on your local councilors and your state and federal reps for favourable policies
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by lexy2014: 3:19pm On Sep 11, 2020
mfm04622:

I have answered your question, even told you the person that made the statement. I also challenged you to bring evidence Fg, NNPC or PPPRA set the 162 price. Do you have comprehension problem?
Since you want to be fed, follow this link. https://insidemainland.com/2020/09/09/fg-will-no-longer-set-price-bands-for-petrol-as-full-deregulation-kicks-in-2/
Marketers are used to a certain margin PPPRA or NNPC give on ex-depot price. They just applied that themselves to set the price at 162. I won't engage you again if you don't provide evidence FG or any agency set the 162 price. Or provide evidence FG or any agency is still setting price.
Also, the FG setting price (actual or band) does not mean there is subsidy. they are different things

Which question did u answer? Are u talking in past tense or future tense? Or is this d answer below that u say u HAVE ANSWERED?

mfm04622:

with all ur comprehensive ability, don't u no d difference between what was done in d past, what hasn't been done & what will be done in d future& how to express urself accordingly?

Spillover:

So when in d history of Nigeria did marketers start setting prices for themselves? Did u just come up with that or u have evidence from your Google search to back up ur claim?

Govt has said some many things. How many have govt done? "Govt said it will fix d refineries before 2015". "Govt said it will improve education& provide employment". "Govt said it will improve security". Is this d first time u are hearing govt saying something? because u sound very naive.

So am surprised that u are here telling me that because "Govt said...", that means it isn't govt that increased d price. With all d news u have been following & with all ur Google search, u don't no how govt operates in Nigeria?

I didn't ask u for a link about where "govt said...". There are a million & one of those. What u should have done is provide a link where marketers fixed petroleum product prices themselves.

By d way, who asked u about this?:
mfm04622:

Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by lexy2014: 3:22pm On Sep 11, 2020
SeniorGee:

By taking on your local councilors and your state and federal reps for favourable policies

So what are d "favourable policies" that local govt councilors, state& federal reps supposed to come up with?
Re: Mass Actions Against Fuel Price Hike Begin Next Week by favor914: 3:22pm On Sep 11, 2020
berbs:

65 is too much self. 55 is okay.
Donald Trump is 74, Joe Biden is 76? If you have nothing to contribute keep hush.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'We Don't Know Peter Obi And He Doesn't Know Us', IPOB Replies Gumi / Tinubu Faces Another Legal Battle In Supreme Court Over 2023 Presidential Poll / Dele Momodu To Buhari: Nigerians Don't Want Excuses, Appoint Your Cabinet Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.