Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,404 members, 7,781,161 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:06 AM

Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings (4614 Views)

Photos Of Yoruba Candomble Worshippers In Brazil. / Oluwo Of Iwo Attends Obas’ Council Meeting At Ooni’s Palace For The First Time / Installation Of Gani Adams As 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo Of Yoruba In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 12:09am On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:

(1) Yoruba account said Oranmiyan gave birth to Eweka 1.

(2) But one Benin account which I cited said — gave birth to Eweka 1.

Fill in the gap.

Does ur Yoruba account state that Oranmiyan married an edo Lady?

Lets start from there clown

4 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 12:12am On Sep 14, 2020
And my question to you Binis remains:

Who was the first Oba of Benin ?

cc: Etinosa1234

4 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 12:15am On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
And my question to you Binis remains:

Who was the first Oba of Benin ?

cc: Etinosa1234

So u don forget Eweka mama name sharp sharp like this...

Its not fair ooo... And u hold Yoruba and Roupell account to be both true

Gregyboy

7 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 12:15am On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Does ur Yoruba account state that Oranmiyan married an edo Lady?

Lets start from there clown
Yes and so does several Bini accounts.

And my questions remain forever?:

(1) Who was the father of Eweka according to extant Bini accounts?

(2) Who was the first Oba of Benin?

Please don’t be too eager to call your Oba (and his ancestors) fools!

7 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 12:17am On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:

So u don forget Eweka mama name sharp sharp like this...

Its not fair ooo... And u hold Yoruba and Roupell account to be both true

Gregyboy

Yoruba account is true and binding on me.

Roupell’s account, on the other hand, is binding on all Edos (not on me) because your fathers gave him the account.

And the account of Roupell which is binding on you states that:

Your first Oba of Benin (whether Eweka I or his father) is an Ife-Yoruba man.

9 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 12:31am On Sep 14, 2020
As an appendix:

Oranmiyan has left to become the first Alaafin Oyo (i.e. the first Oyo oba or king) prior to when his son (Eweka I) grew up to ascend the Bini throne as the first Omo n’Oba n’Edo (i.e. the first Benin oba or king).

@Etinosa1234

8 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 12:36am On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
Yes and so does several Bini accounts.

And my questions remain forever?:

(1) Who was the father of Eweka according to extant Bini accounts?

(2) Who was the first Oba of Benin?

Please don’t be too eager to call your Oba (and his ancestors) fools!

So wait... Clarify things for ur people reading

Are u saying that u believe the Yoruba account( that says that oranmiyan came to Benin, married erinwinde, gave birth to Eweka and left out of annoyance) is true but u also believe another account (probably because na White man write am) that says that Eweka came from Ife directly

4 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 12:37am On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:
I've refresh this post for the past 10 mins and no one viewed the thread but Tao's likes keep increasing

Well anything to boost confidence
May be I’ve so churned out quality and truth to earn such status with Nairaland.

Just maybe. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 12:37am On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
As an appendix:

Oranmiyan has left to become the first Alaafin Oyo (i.e. the first Oyo oba or king) prior to when his son (Eweka I) grew up to ascend the Bini throne as the first Omo n’Oba n’Edo (i.e. the first Benin oba or king).

@Etinosa1234

This is contrary to ur Roupell account grin

5 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 12:41am On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:

So wait... Clarify things for ur people reading

Are u saying that u believe the Yoruba account( that says that oranmiyan came to Benin, married erinwinde, gave birth to Eweka and left out of annoyance) is true but u also believe another account (probably because na White man write am) that says that Eweka came from Ife directly
Again, the bolded is binding on you not on me.

Your fathers informed the Oyinbo man as such, perhaps after they have had palm-wine to stupor.

However, the vast overwhelming majority of the extant Bini accounts is unmistakably clear about who came directly from Ife — Oranmiyan not his son.

7 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 12:43am On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:

This is contrary to ur Roupell account grin

It is not my Roupell account. It is your Roupell account — Your fathers gave it. cheesy

Stop disowning your forefathers in public.

It is not a crime that they were drunk. grin

10 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 12:45am On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:

It is not my Roupell account. It is your Roupell account — Your fathers gave it. cheesy

Stop disowning your forefathers in public.

It is not a crime that they were drunk. grin
Lol...
TAO11:

Yoruba account is true and binding on me.

Roupell’s account, on the other hand, is binding on all Edos (not on me) because your fathers gave him the account.

And the account of Roupell which is binding on you states that:

Your first Oba of Benin (whether Eweka I or his father) is an Ife-Yoruba man.

So if Roupell account is binding on me because my fathers said so ... Does that mean
THIS
THIS and
THIS also binds on you...

Make ur stand grin Ur intellectual gave this also

U know the difference between my link and ur Roupell claim...

One backed it with evidence while the other heard it from pple

5 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 12:50am On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:

So if Roupell account is binding on me because my fathers said so ... Does that mean
[url=http://www.ekimogundescendant.org/the-true-meaning-of-the-word-yoruba-2/[url]THIS[/url]
THIS and
[url=https://www.babalawoobanifa.com/2019/07/the-meanings-and-origin-of-word-yoruba.html?m=1]THIS[url] also binds on you...

Make ur stand grin
Roupell account was documented as a received extant account which agrees in virtually every respect with all other extant Bini accounts.

So, whatever comparison you bring forward must match what is being discussed.

I’ll be waiting.

8 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 12:51am On Sep 14, 2020
Tao: Yoruba account is binding on me...

Same Tao: herd majority

1 Like

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 12:55am On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Tao: Yoruba account is binding on me...
Where does the Yoruba and Benin have differing extant accounts on an episode, and I simply insist that the Yoruba account is binding on you??

Have you quickly resorted to lying just after few exchanges? cheesy

Same Tao: herd majority
?? ?? ?? ?? grin

5 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 12:56am On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
Roupell account was documented as a received extant account which agrees in virtually every respect with all other extant Bini accounts.

So, whatever comparison you bring forward must match what is being discussed.

I’ll be waiting.

Roupell account states Eweka came directly from Ife,..
Egharevba and other accounts including urs state Eweka came by marriage between Oranmiyan and a Benin woman...

Seems after all the grammar u write... U don't understand simple English

By the way , I'll probably not answer u until u decided to choose whether your Yoruba account binds on you

Apparently u didn't click the link... That must be some sort of PTSD
Since majority of Yoruba pple have agreed that Yoruba is not indigenous, then why haven't u accepted it,...after all it's binding on you too...

When u make ur stand , I'll reply u

Goodnight

Gregyboy

6 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 1:04am On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Roupell’s account which he received from your Bini fathers state that a Yoruba named Eweka became your first oba after he had arrived from Ife

Egharevba and other accounts including urs state Eweka came by marriage between Oranmiyan and a Benin woman...
Egharevba’s Benin account and other Benin accounts state that Oranmiyan from Ife birthed Eweka in Benin to subsequently become the first Benin Oba.

So, regardless of the extent of your fathers’ confusions, they could still figure that their first Oba is a Yoruba man from Ife.

Your fathers extant points of view are binding on you regardless of who amongst them you run to.

Is this supposed to be a comment to self?

Again, Benin account are not binding on me.

By the way , I'll probably not answer u until u decided to choose whether your Yoruba account binds on you
You probably have been reading the back of your phone all along. grin

See attached.

5 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 1:13am On Sep 14, 2020
You decided to chip this in after I had already replied. grin

Etinosa1234:

Since majority of Yoruba pple have agreed that Yoruba is not indigenous, then why haven't u accepted it,...after all it's binding on you too...
What you call majority of Yoruba view is NOT an account.

Rather they are different attempts to analyze and make sense of prior accounts.

And one of such prior accounts indicate that the name “Yoruba” is indigenous.

I have once schooled your a$$ on this for days. cheesy

You have to bring forward what matches what is being discussed — in this case, accounts.

Also, you have to by all means hurry and educate yourself on what a historical account actually is. cheesy

15 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 1:22am On Sep 14, 2020
In summary:

(1) Regardless of the extent of your fathers’ confusions, they were still able to agree that their first Oba is a Yoruba man from Ife.

(2) And my earlier question to you Binis is still waiting:

What is the name of the first Oba of Benin?? cheesy grin

Or to rephrase this question:

Who amongst you Binis can count numbers from 1 to 40?? grin cheesy

14 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 5:08am On Sep 14, 2020
alablec:
This says everything.

Oga the picture shows nothing
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 5:12am On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
In summary:

(1) Regardless of the extent of your fathers’ confusions, they were still able to agree that their first Oba is a Yoruba man from Ife.

(2) And my earlier question to you Binis is still waiting:

What is the name of the first Oba of Benin?? cheesy grin

Or to rephrase this question:

Who amongst you Binis can count numbers from 1 to 40?? grin cheesy

counting one to forty is nothing because I can count one to two hundred and even more using Bini

but for your information Benin is not Yoruba

1 Like

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 5:21am On Sep 14, 2020
the problem am really having with all these argument is that almost everyone here just make jest instead of making constructive points in order for both side to learn and advance together even with the difference among us and I feel that is the major problem of Nigeria ( tribalism ).

1 Like

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by SaintBeehot(m): 7:10am On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
You Edo people keep confusing yourselves since 1897.

You all can’t answer the simplest question of your history for over hundred years now.

I will repeat this simple question here again, and let’s see what you all think.

Who is the first Oba of Benin? grin grin

Ovbi’ Edo, learn to be responsible. Stop blaming others for your fathers’ confusions. cheesy

The Yorubas’ account is clear: Oranmiyan pronounced that his son Eweka I be made the first Oba of Benin and so was it.

The overwhelming traditions of the Binis themselves agree with this. Yet you all still look elsewhere for who to blame for your fathers’ confusions.

Whatever confusion you all have amongst yourself regarding your own account should remain your confusion and not be blamed on others.

How Binis count numbers:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 40. grin cheesy If you know you know.
Can you shield lights on the bolded madam.
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by lx3as(m): 7:22am On Sep 14, 2020
Etrusen:

Oga the picture shows nothing

Oga, the picture shows everything based on the title of this thread.
Oòni and Sultan are the permanent chairmen of the Nigerian Traditional Council; Oòni for the South, Sultan for the North.

1 Like

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by gregyboy(m): 8:03am On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:

When u make ur stand , I'll reply u

Goodnight

Gregyboy

Dont mind her she is so desperate, that statement she is quoting was altered by the author to possibly explain what he thought Roupell's meant,
As far as 1897 when Roupell's gave the kinglist there nothing like eweka coming from ife.... To find benin.....
And all a sudden in 1903, eweka came from ife
If that quote was not altered why did ryder who wrote in 1969 not consider the quote, when he used ryder kinglist to prove benin-ife had no connections

That quote from 1903 was falsely altered and misinterpreted to support the authors view point

Ryder's in his article didnt mention any quote of Roupell's from 1903 why?

Anyway Etinosa1234, lets assume ryder must have skipped that qoute of Roupell's the issue is in 1823 a different story of the birth of eweka was different

1823,quote a white man came to displace the ogiso who were ruling and they slept with ogiso daughters and eweka 1, was born

Benin had always considered eweka as their first king so eweka history was always told to suite the prevailing situation

In 1903, i doubt, if eweka11 was even in the palace, according to an article i read eweka11 was called from his mom village to come ascend the throne in 1914 he had already thought the throne will be nullified by the British,

So who gave Roupell's that quote of 1903

Roupell's informats of 1897, consisted of some priest, esekhure and some jujumen, this people never told Roupell's about eweka coming from ife

Why 1903, if the quote was not altered somewhere, by the man who quoted it, in his article, why did ryders not considered Roupell's 1903 quote in his article

The point is from 1475 to 1897, was there anything writing to give a clue between benin-ife connection, the 1823, would have settled the benin-ife connection, once again ife or the newly invented oromiyan was never in the quote

TAO11 stop fighting the linking of benin-ife was a new invention to falsely unite both tribe through a false history the moves was taken by the benins, we dont give the yorubas the blame for it

So get your ass and accept your humiliation because your desperation has finally consumed you, you sorted for the truth, you have seen it, but you dont want to accept it, because it wasn't the truth you had expected.... Lol

The benin ife story, desperation of yours had not only made me know the yorubas false history of oduduwa but also that of how the benin came about,

2 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 8:25am On Sep 14, 2020
lx3as:

Oòni and Sultan are the permanent chairmen of the Nigerian Traditional Council; Oòni for the South, Sultan for the North.

am sure you mean North and West
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 8:33am On Sep 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Dont mind her she is so desperate, that statement she is quoting was altered by the author to possibly explain what he thought Roupell's meant,
As far as 1897 when Roupell's gave the kinglist there nothing like eweka coming from ife.... To find benin.....
And all a sudden in 1903, eweka came from ife
If that quote was not altered why did ryder who wrote in 1969 not consider the quote, when he used ryder kinglist to prove benin-ife had no connections

That quote from 1903 was falsely altered and misinterpreted to support the authors view point

Ryder's in his article didnt mention any quote of Roupell's from 1903 why?

Anyway Etinosa1234, lets assume ryder must have skipped that qoute of Roupell's the issue is in 1823 a different story of the birth of eweka was different

1823,quote a white man came to displace the ogiso who were ruling and they slept with ogiso daughters and eweka 1, was born

Benin had always considered eweka as their first king so eweka history was always told to suite the prevailing situation

In 1903, i doubt, if eweka11 was even in the palace, according to an article i read eweka11 was called from his mom village to come ascend the throne in 1914 he had already thought the throne will be nullified by the British,

So who gave Roupell's that quote of 1903

Roupell's informats of 1897, consisted of some priest, esekhure and some jujumen, this people never told Roupell's about eweka coming from ife

Why 1903, if the quote was not altered somewhere, by the man who quoted it, in his article, why did ryders not considered Roupell's 1903 quote in his article

The point is from 1475 to 1897, was there anything writing to give a clue between benin-ife connection, the 1823, would have settled the benin-ife connection, once again ife or the newly invented oromiyan was never in the quote

TAO11 stop fighting the linking of benin-ife was a new invention to falsely unite both tribe through a false history the moves was taken by the benins, we dont give the yorubas the blame for it

So get your ass and accept your humiliation because your desperation has finally consumed you, you sorted for the truth, you have seen it, but you dont want to accept it, because it wasn't the truth you had expected.... Lol

The benin ife story, desperation of yours had not only made me know the yorubas false history of oduduwa but also that of how the benin came about,

Abeg leave am ... Na mumu talk she dey do so...

She says that majority of Yoruba view on the origin of their name is not binding in order to dodge question as if na everybody for 1897 believe say Eweka came directly from Ife... Her double standards stink to the high heavens...

Someone that doesn't know the difference between coming directly from somewhere and being born and bred in another land...

If Eweka came directly from Ife according to Roupell, let her tell us who the mother was. Whether she was Yoruba or Benin

She says that Yoruba view on the origin of the name Yoruba is not valid but believes the story of 1897 like the Benin pple were historians already

So tao1 my main question to you is that do u hold Roupell account to be binding on me because some people told him their views(because there were no indigenous historians)?

If yes, Then that automatically means the Yoruba account on the origin of the name Yoruba is also binding on you

6 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 8:36am On Sep 14, 2020
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 8:48am On Sep 14, 2020
lx3as:

there are five kings representing each region but two from the North one from West one from South and one from East I don't know where you see North and South only. I am sure you will not have required the present of the Oba of Benin there if the South was not independence just like the West. so please stop all this your argument.
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 9:14am On Sep 14, 2020
lx3as:

Obviously u could have pointed out the Alaafin

4 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by lx3as(m): 10:42am On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Obviously u could have pointed out the Alaafin

It seems you're obsessed with Alaafin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by lx3as(m): 10:47am On Sep 14, 2020
Etrusen:

there are five kings representing each region but two from the North one from West one from South and one from East I don't know where you see North and South only. I am sure you will not have required the present of the Oba of Benin there if the South was not independence just like the West. so please stop all this your argument.

Alaafin is always invited from the West but due to Oòni being recognised ahead of him by federal government as co-chairman with sultan, he doesn't go to such occasions.

You can go and challenge Oòni's position in a law court if you're so pained. Don't you find your oba far far back in the picture.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Tragic Story Of Adesuwa And The Obi Of Ubulu-uku / Africa Will Lose Its Horn / 5 Ancient Renaissance Paintings With Surprising Evidence Of Ufo’s

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.