Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,167 members, 7,807,540 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:00 PM

Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings (4839 Views)

Photos Of Yoruba Candomble Worshippers In Brazil. / Oluwo Of Iwo Attends Obas’ Council Meeting At Ooni’s Palace For The First Time / Installation Of Gani Adams As 15th Aare Ona Kakanfo Of Yoruba In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by lx3as(m): 10:48am On Sep 14, 2020
Etrusen:

there are five kings representing each region but two from the North one from West one from South and one from East I don't know where you see North and South only. I am sure you will not have required the present of the Oba of Benin there if the South was not independence just like the West. so please stop all this your argument.

Alaafin is always invited from the West but due to Oòni being recognised ahead of him by federal government as co-chairman with sultan, he doesn't go to such occasions.

You can go and challenge Oòni's position and federal government in a law court if you're so pained. Don't you find your oba far far back in the picture.
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by lx3as(m): 10:52am On Sep 14, 2020
Etrusen:

am sure you mean North and West

You're simply not conversant with the reality. Google would have helped you instead of displaying ignorance on public forum.

1 Like

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 11:22am On Sep 14, 2020
lx3as:

It seems you're obsessed with Alaafin.

Clown.. just like u are obsessed with Benin

5 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 11:35am On Sep 14, 2020
lx3as:

Alaafin is always invited from the West but due to Oòni being recognised ahead of him by federal government as co-chairman with sultan, he doesn't go to such occasions.

You can go and challenge Oòni's position and federal government in a law court if you're so pained. Don't you find your oba far far back in the picture.

my brother personally I don't get your argument
because the FG need kings representing each region so he invite one from each except North with two representative.

am only discussing this with you because you said That the Sultan is North and Ooni is South thereby leaving his own region which is West and as you can see in the meeting the South have a representative (the Oba of Benin). As for that of the ooni and alafin, it is not a concern to south it is for you Westerner to resolve.
And am sure you don't expect everyone to jump to the from because of one white man so in the case of sitting in front it's not a big deal after all we are all in the same meeting

so gear up bro and leave all this your talks
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by lx3as(m): 11:44am On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Clown.. just like u are obsessed with Benin

What's my concern with 7 LGA Bini. I don't even respond to you and your ilks gullible posts and threads again.

1 Like

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by gregyboy(m): 12:00pm On Sep 14, 2020
lx3as:

What's my concern with 7 LGA Bini. I don't even respond to you and your ilks gullible posts and threads again.

What is our business with a coward population of 40 million and 500 local govt area
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 1:00pm On Sep 14, 2020
SaintBeehot:
Can you shield lights on the bolded madam.
Lol.

The immediate past Oba of Benin was the 38th King.

However, his successor the current Oba is the 40th. grin
They’re so drunk with confusion that they can’t agree till date on who their first Oba is.

The extant standard position is that Oranmiyan installed his son as the first Oba of Benin — this agrees with extant Yoruba account.

However, some fringe views among them (which the current Oba holds to) list Oranmiyan himself as the first Oba of Benin.

I guess the aim of this minority view is so that they can rank Omo n’Oba before Alaafin.

Remember Oranmiyan went to Benin before he became the first Alaafin.

So, the propaganda is to say that while he was in Benin he was coronated as Oba — by so doing, they will argue that Omo n’Oba ranks before Alaafin.

However, the reality is that while Oranmiyan was in Benin he wasn’t coronated as Oba and in fact endured some resistance from a party of their elders — this position is the extant Yoruba and Benin account.

So, while he was away as Alaafin at Oyo, his little child Eweka who will later became the first coronated Oba of Benin was still a baby.

I hope this is clear.

9 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 1:13pm On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
Lol.

They’re so drunk with confusion that they can’t agree till date on who their first Oba is.

The extant standard position is that Oranmiyan installed his son as the first Oba of Benin — this agrees with extant Yoruba account.

However, some fringe views among them (which the current Oba holds to) list Oranmiyan himself as the first Oba of Benin.

I guess the aim of this minority view is so that they can rank Omo n’Oba before Alaafin.

So, the propaganda is to say that while he was in Benin he was coronated as Oba — by so doing, they will argue that Omo n’Oba ranks before Alaafin.

However, the reality is that while Oranmiyan was in Benin he wasn’t coronated as Oba and in fact endured some resistance from a party of their elders — this position is the extant Yoruba and Benin account.

So, while he was away as Alaafin at Oyo, his little child Eweka who will later became the first coronated Oba of Benin was still a baby.

I hope this is clear.

mr/Mrs let me make a point clear here that before the current Oba of Benin "Ewuare11" oronmiyan was not recognise as king in Benin because he wasn't crown king and you don't expect Benin to call a man that was not crown a king but when Ewuare 11 came in 2016 he decided to make it law for all record of Oba monarchy to start from there (oronmiyan) which has been followed in Benin because in Benin the word of the Oba is law.

please I hope this is clear
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 1:21pm On Sep 14, 2020
You only explain things to those who know less than you know, okay?

Etrusen:

mr/Mrs let me make a point clear here that before the current Oba of Benin "Ewuare11" oronmiyan was not recognise as king in Benin because he wasn't crown king and you don't expect Benin to call a man that was not crown a king
In case you read my earlier comment from the back of your phone; I made it clear that the extant Yoruba account is that Eweka was the first Oba of Benin — and the extant Benin accounts agree with this.

But to correct what you may be thinking:

Before the present Oba of Benin was born, there were some minority views among the Binis who maintain the position that Oranmiyan was the first Oba.

Again this minority but likewise old view goes against extant Yoruba and Benin accounts.

but when Ewuare 11 came in 2016 he decided to make it law for all record of Oba monarchy to start from there (oronmiyan) which has been followed in Benin because in Benin the word of the Oba is law.

please I hope this is clear
Thank you for admitting that the Binis count numbers as:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 40.

And to stamp it again, the idea that Oranmiyan was the first Oba of Benin is older than your present Oba even though such idea is not the standard/earliest among both the Binis and the Yorubas.

I hope you got no confusion no more.

cc: SaintBeehot

8 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 1:33pm On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
You only explain things to those who know less than you know, okay?

In case you read my earlier comment from the back of your phone; I made it clear that the extant Yoruba account is that Eweka was the first Oba of Benin — and the extant Benin accounts agree with this.

But to correct what you may be thinking:

Before the present Oba of Benin was born, there were some minority views among the Binis who maintain the position that Oranmiyan was the first Oba.

Again this minority but likewise old view goes against extant Yoruba and Benin accounts.

Thank you for admitting that the Binis count numbers as:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 40.

And to stamp it again, the idea that Oranmiyan was the first Oba of Benin is older than your present Oba even though such idea is not the standard/earliest among both the Binis and the Yorubas.

I hope you got no confusion no more.

you know what Tao it seem you are the argumentative type and as you seem I just told you that before Ewuare 11 it was counted from Eweka 1 and that make Oba Ewuare 11 the 39th but upon coronation he added oronmiyan as first and that makes Oba Ewuare 40th

I really don't know what you are arguing or trying to prove but should you decide to remain same I will have no choice but to leave you in your argument of 38 and 40
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by RamessesIV(m): 1:47pm On Sep 14, 2020
But benin nationalists who claim they share no history or ties with yorubas yet still group the oba of benin with other yoruba kings This is the one that surprises me

Cause i know after ife lost it's power Oyo and Benin were the major powers in southern nigeria though they were in different regions

This is just a case of nationalistic clashes but trust nairalanders to argue blindly
TAO11:
Lol.

I hope this is clear.

1 Like

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 1:48pm On Sep 14, 2020
Etrusen:
you know what Tao it seem you are the argumentative type and as you seem I just told you that before Ewuare 11 it was counted from Eweka 1 and that make Oba Ewuare 11 the 39th but upon coronation he added oronmiyan as first and that makes Oba Ewuare 40th

I really don't know what you are arguing or trying to prove but should you decide to remain same I will have no choice but to leave you in your argument of 38 and 40
Look at my post and tell me what you corrected in it. Nothing.

Instead you simply admitted my claim that you Binis when counting numbers jump from 38th to 40th.

Please answer this question: Who is the 39th Oba of Benin? Now you’re hit by the gist of my point, right? cheesy
On top of that, I corrected your impression (and educated you) that your Oba Ewuare II was NOT the first Bini to regard Oranmiyan as the first Oba — no he wasn’t.

The same view (although non-mainstream) has been around long before your Oba Ewuare II was born. You should be grateful for this education I just imparted on you.

However, the standard and extant account of the Binis is that Eweka I (and not Oranmiyan) was the first Oba of Benin — and this is also the standard and extant Yoruba account.

In sum, the Omo N’Oba throne ranks after the Alaafin’s throne. You catch the strap? grin

13 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 2:13pm On Sep 14, 2020
RamessesIV:
But benin nationalists who claim they share no history or ties with yorubas yet still group the oba of benin with other yoruba kings This is the one that surprises me

Cause i know after ife lost it's power Oyo and Benin were the major powers in southern nigeria though they were in different regions

This is just a case of nationalistic clashes but trust nairalanders to argue blindly
Actually, the Benin positions have been two (at least from the 1970s).

(1) The extant, classical and official position which admits the Ife origin of the Benin monarchy.

(2) The apocryphal view which emerged in the 1970s in a strange attempt to reverse the original ties, while still maintaining a strange tie.

It is only on Nairaland starting sometimes this year 2020 that you will find a few angry Benin kids claiming no ties at all. lol.

These same kids used to be strong proponents of the apocryphal view until they were exposed to seeing that such view is apocryphal, pseudo-historical and made-up.

And they were angrily left with the option of upholding no connection rather than the “official” position of Ife origin. grin

9 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by RamessesIV(m): 2:27pm On Sep 14, 2020
I think the cause is yoruba nationalist views encroaching on benin nationalism,funny i have met benin people who believe Yorubas came from them and some who claim yoruba influence in the early monarchy

Funny thing is that this debate is mostly in Nigeria,outside Nigeria everyone accepts the ogiso monarchy myth,hell if you check britianicca it's there,i think Wikipedia has been edited to modern benin nationalist one the last time I checked

To me the whole debate are shrouded in supremacy and nationalistic tones very pointless though the Yorubas maybe be supremacists the benins are clearly revionists they are like hoteps and afrocentrists especially that greyboy

TAO11:
Actually, the Benin positions have been two (at least from the 1970s).

(1) The extant, classical and official position which admits the Ife origin of the Benin monarchy.

(2) The apocryphal view which emerged in the 1970s in a strange attempt to reverse the ties.

It is only on Nairaland starting sometimes this year that you will find angry Benin kids claiming no ties at all. lol.

The same kids used to be strong proponents of the apocryphal view until they were exposed to seeing that such view is pseudo-historical and made-up.

And they were angrily left the option of upholding no connection rather than the “official” position of Ife origin.[quote author=TAO11 post=93914871] Actually, the Benin positions have been two (at least from the 1970s).

(2) The apocryphal view which emerged in the 1970s in a strange attempt to reverse the ties.

It is only on Nairaland starting sometimes this year that you will find angry Benin kids claiming no ties at all. lol.

The same kids used to be strong proponents of the apocryphal view until they were exposed to seeing that such view is pseudo-historical and made-up.

And they were angrily left the option of upholding no connection rather than the “official” position of Ife origin.

1 Like

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 2:42pm On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
Look at my post and tell me what you corrected in it. Nothing.

Instead you simply admitted my claim that you Binis when counting numbers jumped from 38th to 40th.

Please answer this question: Who is the 39th Oba of Benin? Now you’re hit by the gist of my point, right? cheesy
On top of that, I corrected your impression (and educated you) that your Oba Ewuare II was NOT the first Bini to regard Oranmiyan as the first Oba — no he wasn’t.

The same view (although non-mainstream) has been around long before your Oba Ewuare II was born. You should be grateful for this education I just imparted on you.

However, the standard and extant account of the Binis is that Eweka I (and not Oranmiyan) was the first Oba of Benin — and this is also the standard and extant Yoruba account.

In sum, the Omo N’Oba throne ranks after the Alaafin’s throne throne. You catch the strap? grin

am really tired of your talks because I have explain again and again but you refuse to understand. you just want to argue but like I said I don't have that time.

please how many colors are in Nigeria flag? you will say three because you want to argue that is exactly what you are doing now.

I have told you use maths to remove oronmiyan is it not 39 with Oba Ewuare 11 inclusive but adding oronmiyan after then will it not be 40 ? I really don't know what you are arguing.
Or you should have been in any history section of a university before Ewuare11 and you are ask in exam how many obas have ruled Benin and you saying all this your words.

simply browse the list of Oba of Benin That date before 2016 if Oba Erediauwa was not listed as number 38 and with oronmiyan not listed but if you add Oronmiyan and Ewuare 11 is it not 40?
or is 38+2 not 40 again?

please just stop your jest .
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 3:38pm On Sep 14, 2020
lx3as:

So what were u doing ...if not because of ur insecurity

4 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by lx3as(m): 3:46pm On Sep 14, 2020
Etinosa1234:

So what were u doing ...if not because of ur insecurity

Ask yourself genuinely, who is unsecured between Binis and Yorubas?

Your 6-7 LGA didn't take Biafra a day to invade; it will not take a day for Ijaw, Urhobo, few LGAs in Ondo or Ekiti to over run again if you misbehave.

If Nigeria divides today, you don't even belong anywhere. Your insecurity is out of this world, mr Igodomigodo. Insecurity is the reasons you are so obsessed with Yorubas and opening very foolish threads every minute to discourage intelligent and great threads in Culture. Insecurity makes you Bini revisionists submitted lots of tales by moonlight without single fact; we only laugh at your gullibility these days.

2 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 4:10pm On Sep 14, 2020
Etrusen:
[s]am really tired of your talks because I have explain again and again but you refuse to understand. you just want to argue but like I said I don't have that time.

please how many colors are in Nigeria flag? you will say three because you want to argue that is exactly what you are doing now.

I have told you use maths to remove oronmiyan is it not 39 with Oba Ewuare 11 inclusive but adding oronmiyan after then will it not be 40 ? I really don't know what you are arguing.
Or you should have been in any history section of a university before Ewuare11 and you are ask in exam how many obas have ruled Benin and you saying all this your words.

simply browse the list of Oba of Benin That date before 2016 if Oba Erediauwa was not listed as number 38 and with oronmiyan not listed but if you add Oronmiyan and Ewuare 11 is it not 40?
or is 38+2 not 40 again?please just stop your jest .[/s]
Thanks for confirming that the Benin people are confused from early times till date about who their first Oba was. grin

The Benin numerals:

8 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 4:14pm On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
Thanks for confirming that the Benin people are confused from early times till date about who their first Oba was. grin

The Benin numerals:

thank you for your time am done with you.
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Christistruth00: 4:24pm On Sep 14, 2020
From the Yorubas Obas conference 1937 proceedings
Hosted by Sir Bernard Boudillon Governor General of Nigeria
on 31st March and 1st April 1937

Quoting last paragraph of first page:

“The Chiefs were seated in a horse-shoe formation, with the Oni of Ife ,as the head of the town from which all Yorubas have traditionally sprung at the centre ,and the Alaafin of Oyo at the western and the Oba of benin at the eastern end, an arrangement which gave general satisfaction.”

CC TAO11 ,Macof ,Olu317, Legendhero

6 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 4:24pm On Sep 14, 2020
Etrusen:

thank you for your time am done with you.
Lol.

Just to seek what you personally think.

In your own view, who is the first Oba of Benin??

Do you agree with the classical Yoruba and Benin view that it was Oranmiyan’s son, Eweka I ??

Or do you agree with the fringe view — which was recently made popular by Ewuare II — that it was Oranmiyan himself ??

Or do you even have a different position entirely like some sad kids on here ??
And before you think you want to educate someone on a faceless forum, do yourself the good of reading through some of their past posts. You may have a thing or two to learn. cheesy

9 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 4:29pm On Sep 14, 2020
Christistruth00:

“The Chiefs were seated in a horse-shoe formation, with the Oni of Ife ,as the head of the town from which all Yorubas have traditionally sprung , at the centre ,and the Alaafin of Oyo at the western and the Oba of benin at the eastern end, an arrangement which gave general satisfaction.”
Thank you for that quotation. Attached below is the actual mimeograph of the meeting showing your quotation here.

4 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 4:30pm On Sep 14, 2020
Christistruth00:

“The Chiefs were seated in a horse-shoe formation, with the Oni of Ife ,as the head of the town from which all Yorubas have traditionally sprung , at the centre ,and the Alaafin of Oyo at the western and the Oba of benin at the eastern end, an arrangement which gave general satisfaction.”
Great you attached it. I was in a hurry to gee dem. grin

4 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 5:06pm On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
Lol.

Just to seek what you personally think.

In your own view, who is the first Oba of Benin??

Do you agree with the classical Yoruba and Benin view that it was Oranmiyan’s son, Eweka I ??

Or do you agree with the fringe view — which was recently made popular by Ewuare II — that it was Oranmiyan himself ??

Or do you even have a different position entirely like some sad kids on here ??
And before you think you want to educate someone on a faceless forum, do yourself the good of reading through some of their past posts. You may have a thing or two to learn. cheesy

am a devoted and pure Edo man the words of the king of law and as it is oronmiyan is 1st and Eweka 2nd please good day.
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 5:08pm On Sep 14, 2020
Etrusen:
9am a devoted and pure Edo man the words of the king of law and as it is oronmiyan is 1st and Eweka 2nd please good day.
Ewuare II’s father (Erediauwa) was also the king when he upheld the extant view that Eweka I is the first king.

So, are you saying that Eweka I is the first king as long as as Erediauwa was alive?

And Oranmiyan is the first king as long as Ewuare II is alive — until his son probably changes that again on his own ansecion?

Do you now realize and admit the intra-Benin confusion I was talking about regarding the first king of Benin?

6 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etinosa1234: 5:10pm On Sep 14, 2020
lx3as:
[s]

Ask yourself genuinely, who is unsecured between Binis and Yorubas?

Your 6-7 LGA didn't take Biafra a day to invade; it will not take a day for Ijaw, Urhobo, few LGAs in Ondo or Ekiti to over run again if you misbehave.

If Nigeria divides today, you don't even belong anywhere. Your insecurity is out of this world, mr Igodomigodo. Insecurity is the reasons you are so obsessed with Yorubas and opening very foolish threads every minute to discourage intelligent and great threads in Culture. Insecurity makes you Bini revisionists submitted lots of tales by moonlight without single fact; we only laugh at your gullibility these days.[/s]

Omo see tears.... How did u expect a state with no standing army to ward off invaders...... Are u not foolish like this.... I rather be obsessed with the Igbos and their fine gals than to be obsessed with Yoruba ...

See speech just because I call am insecure

6 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 5:20pm On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
Ewuare II’s father (Erediauwa) was also the king when he upheld the extant view that Eweka I is the first king.

So, are you saying that Eweka I’ is the first king as long as as Erediauwa was alive?

And Oranmiyan is the first king as long as Ewuare II is alive — until his son probably changes that again on his own ansecion?

Do you now realize and admit the intra-Benin confusion I was talking about regarding the first king of Benin?

I have only one ifiemwen for you that is if you understand: eghoba mien.

1 Like

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by SaintBeehot(m): 5:36pm On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
Lol.

So, the propaganda is to say that while he was in Benin he was coronated as Oba — by so doing, they will argue that Omo n’Oba ranks before Alaafin

I hope this is clear.
very clear, you would make a good lecturer. So the bold is what he's trying to prove right

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 5:46pm On Sep 14, 2020
Etrusen:
I have only one ifiemwen for you that is if you understand: eghoba mien.
Rather than answer a direct question you spoke an edekede that only 4 people in the whole world understands.

palapala grin

2 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 5:54pm On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
Rather than answer a direct question you spoke an edekede that only 4 people in the whole world understands.

palapala grin

seriously speaking I like u �����
but if Etinosa1234 is truly edo blood he will understand.

please were you trying to say Edo N ede.?
Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by TAO11(f): 6:07pm On Sep 14, 2020
Etrusen:
seriously speaking I like u �����
but if Etinosa1234 is truly edo blood he will understand.

please were you trying to say Edo N ede.?
What are typing? undecided

Edekede is what I said lad. wink

3 Likes

Re: Kinglist Of Yoruba Obas and their rankings by Etrusen(m): 6:12pm On Sep 14, 2020
TAO11:
What are typing? undecided
Edekede is what I said lad. wink

�� please I mean no offense please Edekede then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Dressed Naked To UN Headquarters In NY (photos) / Benue People, What Does Aiye Po Gan Mean? / Largest Collection Of Vintage Igbo Images [Blog]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.