Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help (8977 Views)

Lets Be Practical With Engine Oil Spec / Gear Shift Problem, Please Help I'm Spending Too Much On It / Cheapest Way To Buy A Direct Tokumbo Car In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by adanny01(m): 7:45am On Sep 15, 2020
lyort:
you're nothing short of a charlatan if you mistake emergency repair for actual repairs. comparing a quick fix to your failed temp. sensor in traffic where all you need is just a temporal solution to keep you going to such an extensive repair such as an engine overhaul that should be carried out in a well equipped workshop. talk of emergency repairs, you're an infant to me.

i took off from ilorin in a 2008 camry and had a failed belt, thank God it happened close to a gas station that has a mechanic beside it. boda kazeem had only one used undersize belt that did not fit. what's more important here? water pump, alternator and power steering. i routed the belt to drive these three and left out the compressor and told my commuters, no ac for the rest of the journey

after driving a few miles, alternator failed in the middle of nowhere. i opened the bonnet, got to the fusebox and took out abs fuses and relays, headlamp fuses, trafficator fuses, went to the rear and took out all tail light bulbs, disconnected radiator fans. all that was left to run on battery power was the brainbox plus everything it controls and the fuel pump. i entered lagos after 2hours of driving and battery gave up just as i drove into the compound.

if crude repair is the only thing you can offer if you find yourself in a well equipped workshop, you're amore mediocre engineer. did you leave your car to keep running on the quick fix you did in traffic or you went to the workshop and did a proper replacement of the sensor afterwards.

quick fix can never take the place of actual repairs.

A charlatan right, what made you think i am a mechanical engineer? Are all engrs supposed to be mechanical?

It is very obvious that you have comprehension issues. Your misunderstanding is epic.

1 Like

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by adanny01(m): 7:50am On Sep 15, 2020
lyort:
here are photos of my rebuild.

You rebuild is better than this? grin grin grin grin grin

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by timilehing(m): 8:10am On Sep 15, 2020
Doslop:
I saw a Hyundai Sonata 2012 online and I liked the car so I called the seller and arranged for someone I know who is a driver he drives from Warri where I reside to Lagos every day so I told him to help me check out the car, since he’s a driver he should know about cars. So he got there checked the car and told me it is a perfect car that I should pay so I paid and he brought it to me.
When the car got home I started it and immediately I told him I don’t like the sound of the engine that it is too loud and he said it is fine I shouldn’t worry that’s how the car is.
When I drove it I discovered all the bearings on four legs were bad so I changed them the next day, and did lots of maintenance on it.
Fast forward exactly one week later which is yesterday I started hearing a metallic sound from the engine while I was driving so I quickly rushed to park the car. On calling a mechanic this morning he said the it is crankshaft and connecting rod noise that they have to dismantle the engine and change them or he’ll advise me to buy a new engine that if they repair the one on it it wouldn’t last at all.
I am here regretting my life who sent me to buy this car!
I use Kia optima 2012, the engine was changed in 2018 to 2.0 L Theta II MPI I4. Price was 430k. There's no point buying the 2.0 turbocharged engine. You can also go for the 2.4L engine, it is cheaper.

1 Like

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by Inception(m): 8:26am On Sep 15, 2020
adanny01:

But bro this na engine assembly section for vehicle assembly plant na undecided the engine is put together for the first time in its life.

How does it relate to REbuild of an engine?

1 Like

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by Inception(m): 8:27am On Sep 15, 2020
timilehing:
I use Kia optima 2012, the engine was changed in 2018 to 2.0 L Theta II MPI I4. Price was 430k. There's no point buying the 2.0 turbocharged engine. You can also go for the 2.4L engine, it is cheaper.

Was it the turbocharged 2.0l at inception ?
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by Doslop: 8:30am On Sep 15, 2020
timilehing:
I have asked before and they said they're not compatible
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by AshipaEk0: 9:22am On Sep 15, 2020
[quote author=lyort post=93938955][/quote]

i'm just curious as to how that engine block is so clean and shiny

you took out time to clean it, or its painted?

1 Like

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by lyort: 9:50am On Sep 15, 2020
being a good engineer is not by acquiring all the expensive equipments and machineries but by getting the best out of the few hand tools you have. we start small and grow big, cos i've seen people who launched their workshops with expensive tools and equipments. with all the publicity and adverts, they shrink back to zero. i'm sure you'll still put paper inside engine if they put you in this kind of workshop cos i can't see reason why you'll compare a factory assembly line with a auto repair shop. meanwhile, i painted that engine and after assembling using brand new OEM parts? that engine sounded like a brand new when we started it.
adanny01:

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by diportivo: 11:24am On Sep 15, 2020
AshipaEk0:

i'm just curious as to how that engine block is so clean and shiny

you took out time to clean it, or its painted?

how many years has the engine spent on earth??

lets assume it's a 2014 and it was rebuilt this year,a 6 year old engine will mostdef shine

my own na say,how the owner take abuse am sotey e need rebuild after few years of use cry

shebi na toyota rugged pass and the engine no dey spoil.....Corolla for that matter o shocked

1 Like

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by KnightsTemplar(m): 1:21pm On Sep 15, 2020
lyort:
being a good engineer is not by acquiring all the expensive equipments and machineries but by getting the best out of the few hand tools you have. we start small and grow big, cos i've seen people who launched their workshops with expensive tools and equipments. with all the publicity and adverts, they shrink back to zero. i'm sure you'll still put paper inside engine if they put you in this kind of workshop cos i can't see reason why you'll compare a factory assembly line with a auto repair shop. meanwhile, i painted that engine and after assembling using brand new OEM parts? that engine sounded like a brand new when we started it.

Please how can I contact you.
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by adanny01(m): 5:34pm On Sep 15, 2020
lyort:

Painting of Engine! Which factory repair manual did you use? grin

You can do factory repair but can't do factory cleaning then you resorted to spraying factory appearance.

Even the papered 1zz has been sounding like new for 2yrs now.
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by adanny01(m): 5:49pm On Sep 15, 2020
Inception:

But bro this na engine assembly section for vehicle assembly plant na undecided the engine is put together for the first time in its life.

How does it relate to REbuild of an engine?

He said his rebuild is better than tokumbo engines in the market. So if I get a tokumbo engine with 10kmiles on it which was built in such a factory, his rebuilt engine is better.

His 400k rebuilt engine is better than a toks 800k engine, forgive me, I will take the toks anyday anytime. At least I trust Gazzuzz to get me a shiny unsprayed toks.

He is rebuilding an engine with an unreliably calibrated veneer caliper or micrometer gauge but an assembly line uses the best computer programmed and certified calibrated equipment. I know exactly where to put my trust.

Just because he spayed a mat (or whatever it was) does not mean he will not get contamination from dust and other things in that environment. So even with OEM parts, that engine is far from close to an OEM engine that has no contamination.

lyort:
not someone like me. i'll rather rebuild than manipulate. trust me, engines i rebuild perform better than the tokunbos in the market, unless the owner compromises on payment. i can't do anything less than what the factory recommends unless there's scarcity of parts then i can begin to think of a compromise
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by paschenko(m): 2:09pm On Sep 16, 2020
ArewaOduduwaBia:

Why did u buy a tokunbo car, don't you know where they sell the new one? I wonder when u people will stop patronising tokunbo/fairly used stuff.

My brother a bought a tokunbo car, a compressor C240 in November 2018, a week after I regretted buying that car. I spent more than 50k monthly to fix one fault or the other until I sold it and went for a car loan a bought my self a brand new car. Fairly used cars are a big NO for me.'
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by Lexusgs430: 2:43pm On Sep 16, 2020
paschenko:

My brother a bought a tokunbo car, a compressor C240 in November 2018, a week after I regretted buying that car. I spent more than 50k monthly to fix one fault or the other until I sold it and went for a car loan a bought my self a brand new car. Fairly used cars are a big NO for me.'

This life no balance........ cheesy

3 Likes

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by lyort: 8:20pm On Sep 16, 2020
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by mylora: 9:28am On Sep 17, 2020
@ Gazzuz, Inception, iyort. Pls for how much can I get a half and top engine of a v4 2007 hyundai sonata? I'd appreciate a response.

Op hope I ain't derailing your topic? Sorry for your ride
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by theoilguy: 9:50am On Sep 17, 2020
paschenko:

Just do your due diligence on tokunbo cars and you ll be fine. Get a competent mechanic to inspect. It is not enough for someone you know to tell you car is fine or perfect.

Finally, always do a vin check.

1 Like

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by lyort: 8:20pm On Sep 17, 2020
my brother, its not the owner oo. the car is a 2015 model bought at brand new in 2016. she never slacked with her oil change and is very meticulous with maintenance. its the mechanics who serviced using one of the worst mineral oil in the market. the fear of not letting her baby get damaged by egbon kazeem made her turn to the service center in a mega filling station(jekin f'oruko bo won l'asiri) with the hope of getting a more quality service, but ordinary misfire they could not detect its root cause.

from spark plugs to ignition coils to injector nozzles, nothing worked, even used a diagnostic scanner to raise the idle to about 1500rpm, the engine could still not hold up with the AC. they just made the innocent woman wasted money without result. befuddled and didn't know what else to check, they told her to buy another engine, naso mama para say "motor wey una begin service from brand new naim make i change engine in less than 4years? embarassed" no way. angry

it was her friend who referred me to her and when i checked, engine smoked caused by worn out piston rings, 5 valves bent and six rocker arms across 3 cylinders displaced from the top of the valves. a problem very synonymous with toyota's ZR and TR(engine family) poorly designed cylinder head and valve train.

so the engine was abused by the mechanics not the owner

diportivo:

how many years has the engine spent on earth??

lets assume it's a 2014 and it was rebuilt this year,a 6 year old engine will mostdef shine

my own na say,how the owner take abuse am sotey e need rebuild after few years of use cry

shebi na toyota rugged pass and the engine no dey spoil.....Corolla for that matter o shocked

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by promotervickky(m): 9:36pm On Sep 17, 2020
9icetoo:

They will never understand. Some low mileage cars haves idled for 50,000 hrs in stop and go traffic with oci of once a year. That's abuse. Yet they think 150k highway miles is high mileage. Others think that vin check will show a bad engine. I laugh. cheesy

Please stop misleading people to believe the wrong things, I rather stick with a low mileage car!

OP, howfar?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by 3kay945(m): 11:13pm On Sep 17, 2020
I was well lectured on this thread. Kudos to you guys, Iyort, adanny01 and inception. I really enjoyed and learned some news stuff from your debates.
To me, you are all rights. grin

Thanks for the free lecture. I wont mind if you continue sha... cool

1 Like

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by 9icetoo(m): 11:23pm On Sep 17, 2020
promotervickky:

Please stop misleading people to believe the wrong things, I rather stick with a low mileage car!

OP, howfar?
Like the ops car abi? Low mileage indeed. You still have a lot to learn. A whole lot.

2 Likes

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by promotervickky(m): 11:43pm On Sep 17, 2020
9icetoo:

Like the ops car abi? Low mileage indeed. You still have a lot to learn. A whole lot.

grin
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by Doslop: 10:31am On Sep 22, 2020
I decided to get a new engine cos the old one was a mess, the seller is evil, they knew the engine was bad I don't know if it knocked or something. What they did is couple the engine here with different engine parts from probably another bad engine, when the engine was opened, it was nothing to write home about. Luckily for me Gazzuz was able to get me a very good engine with 45,000 mileage. When my mechanic saw the engine he said he's never seen a clean engine like that it is pristine. The engine started on the first try and the sound was very low.
Thank you all for your advise and thanks to Gazzuz.

5 Likes

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by OfficialSam(m): 11:01am On Sep 22, 2020
Doslop:
I saw a Hyundai Sonata 2012 online and I liked the car so I called the seller and arranged for someone I know who is a driver he drives from Warri where I reside to Lagos every day so I told him to help me check out the car, since he’s a driver he should know about cars. So he got there checked the car and told me it is a perfect car that I should pay so I paid and he brought it to me.
When the car got home I started it and immediately I told him I don’t like the sound of the engine that it is too loud and he said it is fine I shouldn’t worry that’s how the car is.
When I drove it I discovered all the bearings on four legs were bad so I changed them the next day, and did lots of maintenance on it.
Fast forward exactly one week later which is yesterday I started hearing a metallic sound from the engine while I was driving so I quickly rushed to park the car. On calling a mechanic this morning he said the it is crankshaft and connecting rod noise that they have to dismantle the engine and change them or he’ll advise me to buy a new engine that if they repair the one on it it wouldn’t last at all.
I am here regretting my life who sent me to buy this car!

Always research about used cars before embarking on purchase. Hyundai Sonata 2011 to 2013 is widely known for engine problems.

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by aieromon(m): 11:53am On Sep 22, 2020
Doslop:
I decided to get a new engine cos the old one was a mess, the seller is evil, they knew the engine was bad I don't know if it knocked or something. What they did is couple the engine here with different engine parts from probably another bad engine, when the engine was opened, it was nothing to write home about. Luckily for me Gazzuz was able to get me a very good engine with 45,000 mileage. When my mechanic saw the engine he said he's never seen a clean engine like that it is pristine. The engine started on the first try and the sound was very low.

Congratulations. I sincerely hope you enjoy the car and engine.

Do you mind sharing engine costs?
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by asamwababy: 7:59pm On Sep 22, 2020
asamwababy:
Contact Gazzuz,he has a thing for the Hyundai and Kia brand.

He will sort you out with a proper engine

So you did this business behind my back.

Where is my share? cool
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by lyort: 7:10pm On Sep 26, 2020
KnightsTemplar:

Please how can I contact you.
lyott4enginescience@yahoo.com

first letter is L in lower case.
please send me an e-mail
Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:45am On Sep 27, 2020
Inception:

This is how we think as engineers... No apologies ..
It gives me joy when I see like minds like this.

Engineer here, I disagree.

If it works, it works. Of course, that only counts if functionality isn't abruptly disrupted by catastrophic failure. In the case of Adanny and his paper solution, I think it was an excellent choice. The fact that it's lasted two years supports that opinion. At this point, he's gotten full utility from what was supposed to be a temporary fix. Even if he throws a rod now, I like to think he won't be too pissed.

Again, if it works, it works. There are always multiple solutions. Always.

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:48am On Sep 27, 2020
promotervickky:

OP, howfar?

Stop talking rubbish. Low mileage has never been evidence of anything. A car having low miles means just that, that it has low miles. Doesn't mean it's better than a car with 50k miles more.

As for OP, personally, I'd say take the L. Sell the car. Those engines are the perfect example of awful mechanical design. A replacement may fail too, there's no getting over it. A rebuild is probably the smarter option but there's nothing much you can do if the design is inherently flawed.

1 Like

Re: One Week Old Tokumbo Car With Engine Problem Please Help by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:49am On Sep 27, 2020
Doslop:

Missed this. Enjoy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Do This Simple “bounce Test” To Know If Your Car Has Suspension Problem / 2007 Honda Accord Problems - Need Help / Overheating 406

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.