Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,300 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt (2870 Views)

My Car Jerks When On D And R / My Toyota Corolla Verso Jerks When Accelerating / 7 Reasons Why Car Jerks When Accelerating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by BarrSly: 7:24am On Sep 13, 2020
Hi guys I noticed my 06 Lexus is250 jerks before coming to a halt when I press the brakes. What could be the issue please no CEL at all.
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by Timewaster: 9:12am On Sep 13, 2020
Lols

Soapy car..

Find a girl for it and thank me later

3 Likes

Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:38am On Sep 13, 2020
BarrSly:
Hi guys I noticed my 06 Lexus is250 jerks before coming to a halt when I press the brakes. What could be the issue please no CEL at all.

Confirm if it's a jerk when downshifting to 1st.

1 Like

Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by Autogduru411: 9:52am On Sep 13, 2020
BarrSly:

Run a proper diagnosis (scan) on it first before seeking any further information...
The problem could be faulty fuel pump, clogged nozzles or even bad airflow meter.

3 Likes

Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by chukel(m): 11:12am On Sep 13, 2020
There is no problem. Go and learn how to drive properly

1 Like

Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by radautoworks: 7:05pm On Sep 13, 2020
BarrSly:

I don't understand what you're saying.. you press the brake for the car to stop and it jerks during brakes? Describe the jerking better. Is it immediately you brake till the car stops? Is it a single jerk or multiple or pulsing jerking? Do you feel it in the pedal?
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by BarrSly: 3:59am On Sep 15, 2020
radautoworks:

I don't understand what you're saying.. you press the brake for the car to stop and it jerks during brakes? Describe the jerking better. Is it immediately you brake till the car stops? Is it a single jerk or multiple or pulsing jerking? Do you feel it in the pedal?

A single jerk ma. I don’t feel it in the pedal only the car just jerks. Once then comes to a halt.
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by BarrSly: 4:00am On Sep 15, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Confirm if it's a jerk when downshifting to 1st.

Yes sir that is what it is
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:36am On Sep 15, 2020
BarrSly:

Yes sir that is what it is

Confirm properly, because that could be sign of tranny issues.
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by radautoworks: 4:44pm On Sep 15, 2020
Transmission undecided

One hope, maybe someone messed with your CEL bulb. When you turn on the car, does the CEL come on at all?
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by Privatepart00: 5:53pm On Sep 15, 2020
The new Lexus IS 250 you were seeking opinion for
You never enjoy the car and issue has started
Chai it makes me remember the guy that bought Hyundai Sonata 2012
The village people has already gathered for meeting
The IS250 is fine but heaven knows such car won’t last in my hand

1 Like

Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by radautoworks: 4:45am On Sep 16, 2020
BarrSly:

A single jerk ma. I don’t feel it in the pedal only the car just jerks. Once then comes to a halt.

One of my techs has a different opinion that will be cheaper if he is right. He says "This fault is from the chassis, a part is shifting when the brake is stepped on. from the front chassis. i.e any of the arm". I disagree but worth having someone take a look because transmission is more expensive. I hope he is right.

1 Like

Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 16, 2020
Lexus RX, IS, ES?? Scraps. Maybe the GX
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by BarrSly: 1:13am On Sep 17, 2020
Wow I would suggest this to the mechanic I hope he listens that you very much madam.

radautoworks:

One of my techs has a different opinion that will be cheaper if he is right. He says "This fault is from the chassis, a part is shifting when the brake is stepped on. from the front chassis. i.e any of the arm". I disagree but worth having someone take a look because transmission is more expensive. I hope he is right.
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:31am On Sep 17, 2020
radautoworks:

do you really know what is a CHASSIS ? or you just take any rubbish you are told by aka kazeems?

back to what he said, someone already mentioned it,its sounds like the trasnmission is failing to download smoothly

with automatics, if you are on a crusing speed lets say 45mph and above your would be likely in 3rd gear and above and when you press on the brakes to slow down the car downshift to a lower gear this should happen smoothly without jerking

hence we suspect that something is not right with your gearbox 1st get the transmission scanned and see if anything comes up

when was the last time you did oil change on the gearbox ?
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by radautoworks: 4:33am On Sep 17, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

do you really know what is a CHASSIS ? or you just take any rubbish you are told by aka kazeems?

back to what he said, someone already mentioned it,its sounds like the trasnmission is failing to download smoothly

with automatics, if you are on a crusing speed lets say 45mph and above your would be likely in 3rd gear and above and when you press on the brakes to slow down the car downshift to a lower gear this should happen smoothly without jerking

hence we suspect that something is not right with your gearbox 1st get the transmission scanned and see if anything comes up

when was the last time you did oil change on the gearbox ?

I posted it verbatim because I know they call things by different names here or did you miss the quotation marks? I said I think it's the transmission but hope I'm wrong for his sake. Let him check. Best case scenario, we are wrong and it's a cheap fix. Worst case scenario for him we are right.

2 Likes

Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by alphaNomega: 6:35am On Sep 17, 2020
chukel:
There is no problem. Go and learn how to drive properly
Calm down. It's AT

Privatepart00:
The new Lexus IS 250 you were seeking opinion for
You never enjoy the car and issue has started
Chai it makes me remember the guy that bought Hyundai Sonata 2012
The village people has already gathered for meeting
The IS250 is fine but heaven knows such car won’t last in my hand
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I don't like the build of it.
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by chukel(m): 9:34am On Sep 17, 2020
alphaNomega:
Calm down. It's AT

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I don't like the build of it.
can still happen in the hands of a learner. I personally feel the car is ok
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:35am On Sep 17, 2020
radautoworks:

I posted it verbatim because I know they call things by different names here or did you miss the quotation marks? I said I think it's the transmission but hope I'm wrong for his sake. Let him check. Best case scenario, we are wrong and it's a cheap fix. Worst case scenario for him we are right.

yes i know that they call things different but normal it would in direct translation eg wheels aka legs

yours is more like calling your head your foot, i believe we still educate people like we do with ECU we put in bracket as (brainbox) meaning we would taught someone the right/technical/orginal term for something
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by radautoworks: 12:51pm On Sep 17, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

yes i know that they call things different but normal it would in direct translation eg wheels aka legs

yours is more like calling your head your foot, i believe we still educate people like we do with ECU we put in bracket as (brainbox) meaning we would taught someone the right/technical/orginal term for something

Sigh.. I didn't want to shalaye for him so here you go.

Again, I disagree with him but he's one of my best that's why I'm hoping he's right for BarrSly's sake.

"Yes, from is explanation, that's possible. But I don't rule out anything. If this particular fault occurs only when the gear is down shifting, then the valve body. The ECM shouldn't be completely rule out too. Though I didn't ask what type of transmission. That is why I generalized it to be a chassis problem. A single jerk when break is applied can not be transmission. Oh! I see why he's mad at me"

Can we now wait for op's feedback?
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by radautoworks: 1:47pm On Sep 17, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

Wait... Wheels are legs?!?? I thought it was control arms this whole time!!

I told thebigkendo some time back I needed an ameri-naija thesaurus he no answer me..
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by BarrSly: 4:34pm On Sep 17, 2020
Thank you all for your assistance, cheer and discouragement (I.e those making joke of the issue and saying it’s village people)...

We cleaned out the gear serviced it and changed the oil. Still jerking but his next step is to have a look at the valve body .... fingers crossed.

Ps: I once read online that reprogramming the ECU is one of the common solutions how true is this?

Thank you all once again.
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by radautoworks: 4:46pm On Sep 17, 2020
BarrSly:
Thank you all for your assistance, cheer and discouragement (I.e those making joke of the issue and saying it’s village people)...

We cleaned out the gear serviced it and changed the oil. Still jerking but his next step is to have a look at the valve body .... fingers crossed.

Ps: I once read online that reprogramming the ECU is one of the common solutions how true is this?

That's what we were saying above but should be last resort. Check valve body first. Or just go to the shop let them tell you what's wrong!
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by thebigkendo(m): 5:41pm On Sep 17, 2020
radautoworks:

Wait... Wheels are legs?!?? I thought it was control arms this whole time!!

I told thbigkendo some time back I needed an ameri-naija thesaurus he no answer me..

I talk money grin grin grin
Classes can be on zoom

Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by radautoworks: 6:05pm On Sep 17, 2020
thebigkendo:

I talk money grin grin grin
Classes can be on zoom

Ehm... Ehm... You see... The way my bank account is set up... grin grin grin
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by chukel(m): 7:08pm On Sep 17, 2020
BarrSly:

curious as to how you will be having transmission issue without any code. Don't go and wreck that car. There is no way you won't have solenoid codes if the issue is in the transmission. Which oil did you replace it with. How many litres did you put there
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by radautoworks: 7:56pm On Sep 17, 2020
chukel:
curious as to how you will be having transmission issue without any code. Don't go and wreck that car. There is no way you won't have solenoid codes if the issue is in the transmission. Which oil did you replace it with. How many litres did you put there

Very possible. Solenoids are not the only transmission issues
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:15pm On Sep 17, 2020
radautoworks:

Sigh.. I didn't want to shalaye for him so here you go.

Again, I disagree with him but he's one of my best that's why I'm hoping he's right for BarrSly's sake.

"Yes, from is explanation, that's possible. But I don't rule out anything. If this particular fault occurs only when the gear is down shifting, then the valve body. The ECM shouldn't be completely rule out too. Though I didn't ask what type of transmission. That is why I generalized it to be a chassis problem. A single jerk when break is applied can not be transmission. Oh! I see why he's mad at me"

Can we now wait for op's feedback?

its OK to disgree thas how also we learn

true lest wait for feedback from OPs

1 Like

Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by radautoworks: 10:31pm On Sep 17, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

its OK to disgree thas how also we learn

true lest wait for feedback from OPs

so refreshing!
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 10:40pm On Sep 17, 2020
Aunty Radu, buy me lunch at Jamrock na biko sad
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:57pm On Sep 17, 2020
chukel:

what i have noticed is that some people dont scan the transmission ECU they just scan the engine ECU thinking it will pull up all codes from both ECU

some scanners are basic they only scan the basic from main ECU and some cant even scan ABS or AIR BAG there a customer can be told that there is no transmission code due to the fact that the scanner is basic

then a common thing i noticed from nigerian car dealers in my town they go buy the cheapest car they can get from auctions and 99% of these cars have lots of faults and warning lights, instead of buying the parts to fix higlighted by the warning lights, they take off the instrument cluster a put a black tape to block the warning light (check engine light, abs or air bag) if you buy such car it will take you ages to figure out that your check engine light doesnt turn on when switch on the ignition, you will assume to say everything is OK becoz there is no check engine light or other warning lights

Good scanners are not cheap and people refer to go where the price for scanning is cheap and the chances of the scanner being a basic one are high
Re: Car Jerks Before Coming To A Halt by radautoworks: 12:28am On Sep 18, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

what i have noticed is that some people dont scan the transmission ECU they just scan the engine ECU thinking it will pull up all codes from both ECU

Good scanners are not cheap and people refer to go where the price for scanning is cheap and the chances of the scanner being a basic one are high

Exactly. A decent scanner that runs ALL systems is in the thousands of dollars that's why scanning is not cheap

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Picnic Auto!! Urgent Sale @600k !! Serious Buyers Plz - / The Making & Installation Of A DIY Illuminated Benz Logo. / 2011 Toyota Camry Xle V6 Vs Lexus GS350 Of The Same Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.