Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

The True Meaning Of The 'Church'. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The True Meaning Of The 'Church'. (239 Views)

The True Meaning Of Jesus' Baptism / The Meaning Of Chukwu Abiama / Meaning Of Ash Wednesday And Why Anglicans Celebrate It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The True Meaning Of The 'Church'. by gentlegenius(m): 9:38am On Sep 13, 2020
Among Christians/believers today, there is a gross misconception about the word 'Church' and what it stands for.
Most of those who call themselves Christians today are not really Christ-ians, but 'church goers' because they wrongly believe that the church is a place or building where they have to go every Sunday in order to be counted among the Christians.
But according to the bible, what does the 'Church' really mean?
The word 'Church' first appeared in the bible in Matthew 16:18, where Jesus said:
"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will BUILD my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it". Now, I'm sure you have noticed the word 'build' in that passage, but do you think Jesus was talking about building an earthly house, - like the one you worship in every Sunday? Of course only a dull mind will think that way. If that was the case, you'll have seen the fulfillment of that statement in the scripture because Jesus never made a statement that wasn't fulfilled. Have you read anywhere in the scripture how or where Jesus build a house or a place of worship and call it 'The church'? So, why do we have houses/buildings today and call them Church?
Jesus was actually talking about building a group of believers (people) using his disciples as the foundation (rock), and this was fulfilled in the book of Acts of the Apostles. This simply means that the church is a group of people, not a house, place, or building. See how the bible used the word 'Church' in these scriptures below:
"And great fear came upon all the church... " (Acts 5:11). Fear can only come upon people, not a building.
"And (Saul) persecuted against the church..." (Acts 8:1). It is not possible to persecute against a building, but people.
"Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church..." (Acts 11:22). Do buildings have ears?
"Likewise greet the church that is in their house..." (Rom. 16:5). This shows that even when believers choose to gather in their houses, that, is still a church to God.
"For, WHERE two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them". (Matthew 18:20)
This is the aspect most pastors today will not want you to know. They want you to believe that it is only when you gather in that building that they mistakenly call 'Church' that you can meet or have access to God. But they forget that all these buildings were made by human hands, and the scripture says "The most High God does not live in houses made by human hands" (Acts 7:48).

It's wise to question some of the things you believe and practise, even when everyone seem to follow that way. Stop saying that you are going to 'church', because the church is not a place... But You can say "I am going to school, because school is a place. It is also wrong to write the word church on any building or even on signposts that directs to a building. It seems only Jehovah's Witness alone understand this truth as the have never wrote the word church on any of their buildings. They simply write Kingdom Hall, because actually, its just a hall.
Finally, remember to gather with believers, ANYWHERE and ANYTIME. Don't always wait for Sundays to come so that you visit that only house you wrongly call 'church', and wrongly believe that God lives there. After all the Hebrews 10 verse 25 that pastors normally quote to justify 'going to church' didn't really instruct us to go to buildings, rather, it says
"Do not forsake the gathering of ourselves together..." It didn't mention where or when; because where and when doesn't matter. What matters is WHY (the purpose). "For WHERE two or three are gathered IN MY NAME, there, will I also be"

HAPPY SUNDAY TO YOU ALL...
Re: The True Meaning Of The 'Church'. by ggirl4real: 10:00am On Sep 13, 2020
OP, I agree

However, you must understand that the level of unemployment is high in Nigeria.

Pastors have families that they need to take care of, so the customers, sorry members, have to come to church and drop money so that the business, sorry ministry, can move forward.

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of The 'Church'. by gentlegenius(m): 10:34am On Sep 13, 2020
ggirl4real:
OP, I agree

However, you must understand that the level of unemployment is high in Nigeria.

Pastors have families that they need to take care of, so the customers, sorry members, have to come to church and drop money so that the business, sorry ministry, can move forward.
It is not that these pastors don't know the truth. They know. But they made people believe the opposite just to protect their business. A popular Nigerian Pastor once wrote in his book:
"WHENEVER and WHEREVER your spirit unites with the spirit of God, an atmosphere is created. That atmosphere is called THE PRESENCE OF GOD."
- Paul Eneche.

They only write truths like this in books because they know many 'African Christians' don't read. But when talking to you, they'll tell you to always come to 'church' because it is only there that you can experience the 'presence of God'.

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of The 'Church'. by gentlegenius(m): 9:09am On Sep 20, 2020
lalasticlala, OAM4J pls help us learn more and educate more Christians by moving this thread to a higher realm.

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Is Arrested In Russia / +18 Man Mistakenly Texted His Friends Wife / Steven Furtick September 29 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.