Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) (1851 Views)

Our Tenant Refuses To Vacate Our Apartment After About 10 Months Quit Notice! / Ghana Landlady Gives Female Nigerian Student Quit Notice Over Noise During Sex / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by chinyerefrank444(f): 10:44am On Sep 13, 2020
Our rent expired end of July.
Two weeks earlier, the solicitor advised us to look for another house that we don't need to renew our rent. A new tenant collected the main building, so I guess she wants to occupy the whole house alone.
Shouldn't we be getting more time? please advise.
We are just surviving by Gods mercy, feeding is even problem now not to talk of start looking for another house.

Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by Kestine0: 10:58am On Sep 13, 2020
He should have given u 6 months normally...
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 13, 2020
Did you signed a tenancy agreement
If yes, do you still have a copy of it.
If yes, is there any part in the agreement that says they can evict you from the house incase of mishandling of properties or at will.
If No, press charges against such unlawful act.

You should be given atleast 3month if not 6month depending on how well you bargain.

Wish you the best.
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by chinyerefrank444(f): 11:06am On Sep 13, 2020
Kestine0:
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by chinyerefrank444(f): 11:06am On Sep 13, 2020
Kestine0:

by this it means he's giving us two months. ain't we supposed to get at least 4 months
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by chinyerefrank444(f): 11:08am On Sep 13, 2020
Sleekfemzy:
Did you signed a tenancy agreement
If yes, do you still have a copy of it.
If yes, is there any part in the agreement that says they can evict you from the house incase of mishandling of properties or at will.
If No, press charges against such unlawful act.

You should be given atleast 3month if not 6month depending on how well you bargain.

Wish you the best.

thanks for your input
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by youngaliwa(m): 11:11am On Sep 13, 2020
I would advise you speak to your legal advicer. If you dont have any, just walk into any law office (consultation is free) and talk to him about it. Go with a copy of the eviction notice. I repeat a photography of it. Listen to his opinion and after that, walk into another law office. By the time you get advice from 3~4 law practitioners (for free), you will then know the next line of action. But never to forget, we are all human you can walk to the lawyer of your apartment and plead for extension and I believe he will listen. But remember, he will only listen is you haven't taken any legal actions against him. Just play your game well and always remember that your aim is to get enough time to find a new apartment without spending money on any lawyer so dont pay any one processing fee.

Best wishes

2 Likes

Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by majamajic(m): 11:13am On Sep 13, 2020
U pay monthly in owerri

Na wa
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by Kestine0: 11:28am On Sep 13, 2020
chinyerefrank444:

by this it means he's giving us two months. ain't we supposed to get at least 4 months

Like the way my brother sleekfemzy said... Check the agreement form.. There is no way a landlord will give u a month to park out...its neither 3 or 6 months...my own take here is the person renting it have given the lawyer more money and he just want to get rid of u guys
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by WibusJaga: 11:31am On Sep 13, 2020
I think 6 months notice is for yearly tenants but you are a monthly tenant.
You've also defaulted in your rent payment since July.
Also If the solicitor informed you to park 2weeks before july31, that means you had 2&half months notice.

Whatever, your tenancy agreement will be considered.

1 Like

Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by sirrotex: 11:33am On Sep 13, 2020
The length of notice you require depends on the law in place in your location and more importantly the type of tenant you are. It is only yearly tenants that require 6 months notice subject to any agreement between parties. From the notice, you seem to be a monthly tenant and Lagos laws provide for 1 month notice subject to any agreement between parties. Take note that, the law does not intend that a tenant lives in a house for free and as such the period of the notice must be paid for
chinyerefrank444:
Our rent expired end of July.
Two weeks earlier, the solicitor advised us to look for another house that we don't need to renew our rent. A new tenant collected the main building, so I guess she wants to occupy the whole house alone.
Shouldn't we be getting more time? please advise.
We are just surviving by Gods mercy, feeding is even problem now not to talk of start looking for another house.

1 Like

Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by chinyerefrank444(f): 11:53am On Sep 13, 2020
majamajic:
U pay monthly in owerri
Na wa
it is yearly, I don't know why he puts that there. it might be mischievous
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by chinyerefrank444(f): 11:54am On Sep 13, 2020
WibusJaga:
I think 6 months notice is for yearly tenants but you are a monthly tenant.
You've also defaulted in your rent payment since July.
Also If the solicitor informed you to park 2weeks before july31, that means you had 2&half months notice.

Whatever, your tenancy agreement will be considered.

my husband pays yearly. I think he's trying to double cross us
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by majamajic(m): 11:56am On Sep 13, 2020
chinyerefrank444:

it is yearly, I don't know why he puts that there. it might be mischievous

Nigeria lawyers , just be looking for house small small , even if na one room first , as u hope they will extend
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by chinyerefrank444(f): 11:56am On Sep 13, 2020
sirrotex:
The length of notice you require depends on the law in place in your location and more importantly the type of tenant you are. It is only yearly tenants that require 6 months notice subject to any agreement between parties. From the notice, you seem to be a monthly tenant and Lagos laws provide for 1 month notice subject to any agreement between parties. Take note that, the law does not intend that a tenant lives in a house for free and as such the period of the notice must be paid for

thanks.
you're saying even if like 3 months notice we would still pay for the 3 months?
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by sirrotex: 12:23pm On Sep 13, 2020
Ideally notice is to be given during the pendency of your tenancy. However, where for any reason notice was not given then. The landlord will claim arrears of rent alongside his claim
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by WibusJaga: 1:05pm On Sep 13, 2020
chinyerefrank444:

my husband pays yearly. I think he's trying to double cross us

There should be some sort of evidence that you pay yearly. In that case you are definitely entitled to 6 months quit notice.

But note that, as someone earlier said, you are expected to pay rent for the 6 months period of notice. Of course it makes legal & moral sense that you don't occupy a property free of charge.
Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by wunmi590(m): 1:12pm On Sep 13, 2020
Honestly, we are different from each other.

At least he should have given you guys like 4-6 month considering the present COVID-19 situation still ravaging every household in the country, and even world wide.

I can never do such to my tenant, considering the fact that the lanlord knows you just have birth (Got this in your other thread) and moving to new place might be a little bit difficult.

I wish you God and human favour during this period when you needed help...

@thankmyGod please any help for them sir

1 Like

Re: One Month Quit Notice... Please Advice (photo) by chinyerefrank444(f): 3:29pm On Sep 13, 2020
wunmi590:
Honestly, we are different from each other.

At least he should have given you guys like 4-6 month considering the present COVID-19 situation still ravaging every household in the country, and even world wide.

I can never do such to my tenant, considering the fact that the lanlord knows you just have birth (Got this in your other thread) and moving to new place might be a little bit difficult.

I wish you God and human favour during this period when you needed help...

@thankmyGod please any help for them sir

it's a tough time, I don't know how we going to face it.

(1) (Reply)

Are You In Need Of Conduit Wall Speakers In Ur Home, Hotel,church, Club Etc? / Standard Fish Farm, With 6 Bedroom Flat For Sale In Ilorin / A Full Plot Of Land In Atan ota, For 300k. AVAILABLE!!! Edited.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.