Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:07 PM

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want (40993 Views)

Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures) / Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Minemrys: 7:56am On Sep 15, 2020
goodnessme1:
Foolish Amotekun terrorists will come here to show their foolishness.

Boko haram people will come here to talk nonesense.

Not that they are better.
later n0w s0me0ne would tell me the whites are racist and black lives matter.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Kakadinho247: 8:52am On Sep 15, 2020
Chei! I dey shame for my Ibo tribe. Imagine at this 21st century we still practice internal segregation and we claim we're the most United tribe in the world; what an irony. I wonder how this Biafra nation sef go be, SMH
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by OlawaleBammie: 9:01am On Sep 15, 2020
goodnessme1:
Foolish Amotekun terrorists will come here to show their foolishness.

Boko haram people will come here to talk nonesense.

Not that they are better.

Stop this Ur hatred goodnessme1 Ur culture is toxic and cancerous .

See the nonsense we re reading this early momo about Ur patriarchal and still existing culture.

No wonder ibo full Lagos and some other prominent Yoruba parts.

Had it been yorubas are half as hostile as Ur people where do u tink u would be??

Pls be rational jare.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Dikebuka: 9:11am On Sep 15, 2020
wizzakosh:
Yinmu. Freedom indeed

That's one thing with Yoruba people. They don't believe that a tribe could exist and be prosperous without a real king, leader or ruler.

Igbo people believe in freedom that is why they preferred to drown themselves than to serve the whiteman as slaves.

Aba women riot or Aba women revolution should give you people hint.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Ndipe(m): 9:11am On Sep 15, 2020
And Ibos cry a lot about discrimination while dishing out the same injustice to their fellow kith/kin.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by NaMeAboki: 9:22am On Sep 15, 2020
And they have mouth to complain about marginalisation and treatment as (imaginary) 2nd class citizens; when in fact they are the ones treating their own kind as 3rd class (ohu) and 4th class (osu) citizens.
So called advanced ppl behaving backwardly - Lord Lugard must hear this!
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by alphaNomega: 9:28am On Sep 15, 2020
Osu are not slaves
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Chuksxyview(m): 10:13am On Sep 15, 2020
Old stories and culture borne purely out of ignorance, may God phase away all similar practices in our society. God created us all in His image and likeness, how dare we discriminate or condemn who God made. May God have mercy on us
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by NgwalandAbia(m): 12:29pm On Sep 15, 2020
BornRicch:

You're a foolish person. I want you to reply me.

When I said "I think" don't apply that you are "WISE" And your comment proved that you are a third world citizen, then I reserve my comment.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by NgwalandAbia(m): 12:30pm On Sep 15, 2020
wizzakosh:
Superior ko, superstory no Hahaha, OSU

House Negro.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Sarita01(f): 4:11pm On Sep 15, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
At least now you know why igbos detest slavery
Unlike our southern counterparts
You guys detest slavery but you're still slaves to your traditions and cultures,it's laughable.any tradition that degrades and oppresses humans is barbaric.its the same blood that flows in all of our veins whether you're white,black,or brown.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Babanick: 5:04pm On Sep 15, 2020
Too many kids on Nairaland, everything quickly turns tribal.
Firstly, there is a difference between 'osu ' and 'ohu'. While the former is a religious slave, the later is an acquired slave like your maids and salesperson.
Ohu is an acquired slave like your maid or salesperson. They may not have all the privileges that a diala( son of the soil) enjoys, but can grow to become an important part of the community and many times, marry even the masters daughter or relative.
Osu on the other hand, has different categories; some were said to be people who committed sacrilege and thus willed to the gods, some were those who went under the protection of deities in times of war and famine... in all, they are all seen as properties of one deity or the other.
Not every community in Igboland still observe this practice and Christianity is really helping to kill off these beliefs. In truth, they are rather feared than segregated, people believe one can receive the wrath of the deity they are subscribed to if they marry or associate with them.
Igbos are highly cultural and religious people, it will take a little while and cultural engagement to stop most of these beliefs. There is nothing supreme court can do in this case, your family will not even show up on the wedding day.

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Sarita01(f): 5:11pm On Sep 15, 2020
Osagyefo98:

My tradition is not madness maybe yours but not mine.

Traditions remains tradition till day break.
You'll be the first to criticise an hausa man for Killing a man cos he violated the traditions of his religion but you're supporting a tradition that segregates it's indigenes.you might say it's different cos your tradition don't kill people but those traditions have abused people emotionally that it has pushed many to take their life.emotional abuse is the greatest form of abuse,it toys with your mind,it causes severe depression,it causes many to have suicidal thoughts.
The mind is very powerful and fragile,any tradition that toys with human emotions might have well tied the noose. Encouraging people to commit suicide is the same thing as murder.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by debbydams(f): 5:23pm On Sep 15, 2020
grin grin I hear u sir
PreyingMantis:
Igbo men hardly marry dirty Yoruba girls... It's always the Yoruba guys killing themselves over Igbo women. Stop giving yourself too much credit for nothing
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by definateli: 7:16pm On Sep 15, 2020
Black Christians obey the part of the Bible that suit them, finish
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by PreyingMantis(m): 9:28pm On Sep 15, 2020
debbydams:
grin grin I hear u sir
After how many days
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Frenzy01(m): 12:27am On Sep 16, 2020
Bkayyy:

Everybody likes to quench the smoke in another person's house while their village is on fire.
It's like the new thread in Nigeria is attacking Igbo customs and traditions while a young man is about to be hanged for ordinary religion and women can't be allowed to dress the way they like in North by Hisbah all because of religion.
Whereas in South West, the supposed female yoruba monarch that to them symbolizes their equality in gender is not allowed to be with a man talkless of marrying and giving birth.
Everybody in Nigeria is now a Nelson Mandela on Igbo Culture
You're a fool you never just see person tell you.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by debbydams(f): 7:15am On Sep 16, 2020
PreyingMantis:
After how many days
lol.. m not active online grin
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 16, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

House Negro.
Mumu, we are both negro hahahaha. But you are OSU negro while I am a free negro hahahaha.

OSU negro cheesy
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by NgwalandAbia(m): 1:17pm On Sep 17, 2020
wizzakosh:
Mumu, we are both negro hahahaha. But you are OSU negro while I am a free negro hahahaha.

OSU negro cheesy

You and who are both negros, do our skin colors look the same?

Get lost.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 17, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

You and who are both negros, do our skin colors look the same?

Get lost.
Show yourself and let me show myself hahahahaha. White people know you as negro. If it is sure for you, let us display our pix cheesy. You are a fucking negro.

OSU negro.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by delishpot: 8:31am On Sep 18, 2020
lekki1444:
How does one identify an osu ? are there physical distinguishing features ? like can i be an osu but pretend that i am not ? like for example during the american slavery there were many light skin almost white black americans who pretended to be white and actually passed as white and people thought they were white so they escaped injustice that way. so as an osu can you pretend to be not an osu or are there distinguishing features to where you cant escape being recognised as an osu ? thanks in advance

Where you come from will place you at the right societal strata. Osus are from a certain family or clan so if you say you are from so, so place from so, so family they can trace it and know you are an Osu. If you lie about where you are from and all your family lie with you about it, no o e will know unless someone that recognizes goes to tell the family of your spouse. But then it's a big wahala o. Your spouses family will be mocked, your kids become Osu and not welcome in the non Osu spouses family home. No freeborn Igbo will marry your kids too. Being Freeborn is a thing of pride to Igbos that practice Osu system as if it was in their power to decide how they were born. It's as crazy as a white person proudly saying he is white and superior to any other race as if he had a hand in being born white and the black child was born black because he is inferior in the spirit world.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by lekki1444: 8:43am On Sep 18, 2020
delishpot:

Where you come from will place you at the right societal strata. Osus are from a certain family or clan so if you say you are from so, so place from so, so family they can trace it and know you are an Osu. If you lie about where you are from and all your family lie with you about it, no o e will know unless someone that recognizes goes to tell the family of your spouse. But then it's a big wahala o. Your spouses family will be mocked, your kids become Osu and not welcome in the non Osu spouses family home. No freeborn Igbo will marry your kids too. Being Freeborn is a thing of pride to Igbos that practice Osu system as if it was in their power to decide how they were born. It's as crazy as a white person proudly saying he is white and superior to any other race as if he had a hand in being born white and the black child was born black because he is inferior in the spirit world.
WOW this is serious something ooo. Amazing information. Thank you so much for the enlightenment

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by NgwalandAbia(m): 11:50am On Sep 18, 2020
wizzakosh:
Show yourself and let me show myself hahahahaha. White people know you as negro. If it is sure for you, let us display our pix cheesy. You are a fucking negro.

OSU negro.

You want to see your superior?
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 19, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

You want to see your superior?
OSU negro, post your pix. If am 100% sure you will post black a me American pix hahahaha.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by bluefilm: 5:52pm On Sep 21, 2020
African tradition has its merits and demerits.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

15 Reasons You Should Be Proud To Be A Nigerian(pics) / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Night Burial As Per Yoruba Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Religious Rites / Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.