Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,502 members, 7,808,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want (41178 Views)

Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures) / Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by NgwalandAbia(m): 5:48pm On Sep 14, 2020
Patrioticman007:

OSU

Almajiri...Osu is far superior to you...House Negro.

5 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 14, 2020
Bkayyy:

Everybody likes to quench the smoke in another person's house while their village is on fire.
It's like the new thread in Nigeria is attacking Igbo customs and traditions while a young man is about to be hanged for ordinary religion and women can't be allowed to dress the way they like in North by Hisbah all because of religion.
Whereas in South West, the supposed female yoruba monarch that to them symbolizes their equality in gender is not allowed to be with a man talkless of marrying and giving birth.
Everybody in Nigeria is now a Nelson Mandela on Igbo Culture
Bros, I'm igbo let's face it this caste system is as good as racism.

18 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Timi141: 5:50pm On Sep 14, 2020
candidtalk:

Lol. "I am ashamed of the backward ways of my people" would suffice instead of the silly excuses you produce above to validate what is not seen in most regions of Nigeria.
The way they keep on defendng this system is still baffling me. I really hope the people doing these things are a small minority if not, the ibos have reaaly lost all face in my sight.

15 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 14, 2020
Dikebuka:
OSU system have been there for a while, but with the current era those stuffs will fade out. Its something that non-igbo people would never understand.

OSU is the direct opposite of Freedom which every igboman believe in. OSU people are people that surrendered their freedom to diety which igbo did not find funny then.

Ume people are people that committed high crimes which goes strong igbo law i.e. Abomination.

Like murder, incest, bearing false witness.

I believe Christianity, modernisation and strong will of igbo people will send those stuffs to oblivion

You are the true son of your father but the tradition is not going anywhere.

It has come to stay . Surrendering your freedom to the gods should not be treated with mildness.

3 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:

You are the true son of your father but the tradition is not going anywhere.

It has come to stay . Surrendering your freedom to the gods should not be treated with mildness.
Yes, I hope you get racially abused so that you can know how it feels to suffer for what you did not do. Rubbish.

7 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 14, 2020
Blue3k:

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-54088880

Mr face Akwaibom and leave Igboland.
Stay your lane.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Blue3k(m): 5:54pm On Sep 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Mr face Akwaibom and leave Igboland.

Stay your lane.

Biafra is dead and Kanu is a mumu. I'll speak on what ever I please if you dont like it fight me.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by ChangedMan1999(m): 5:55pm On Sep 14, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

Almajiri...Osu is far superior to you...House Negro.

Bro stop it.

This people will insult us, but they only shield we have is to ignore the insults.

The more you respond them, the more this eyesore post will be popular.

By the way, the person that brought this to the front page is mischievous.

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 14, 2020
SegFault:

Yes, I hope you get racially abused so that you can know how it feels to suffer for what you did not do. Rubbish.

Their forefathers stood on their behalf for good and for whatsoever reason they did so. So they should go and address the weakness of their father's house and what led them to such actions.

Nobody is racially abused but simply what their progenitors agreed upon.

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by InvertedHammer: 5:56pm On Sep 14, 2020
/
The hypocrisy of Igbo christians.

They bind and cast. They cancel generational curse.

Yet they want to hold on to dictates of traditional religion they claim is powerless against their Israeli God.

Who is deceiving who?

/

15 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by sonofElElyon: 5:56pm On Sep 14, 2020
but why is it that people who say their children shouldn't marry those whose ancestors were slaves are never opposed to their children marrying black americans

p.s. someone just posted that osu discrimination has nothing to do with slavery.. rather it's about forebears dedicated to gods

4 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Sagefromtheeast: 5:56pm On Sep 14, 2020
Over there it's racism to call him a nigger, much less a slave... down here it's part of culture.
Case closed!
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:57pm On Sep 14, 2020
This is BARBARIC.
Let us all say no to HATRED!
This is why we keep talking about the Abolishment of the evil OSU CASTE SYSTEM

For those of us that have forever been wondering, what OSU OUTCAST means, here you have it.....

The Osu caste system, which is prevalent in Anambra, Imo and some areas in Ebonyi states, discriminates against families which in the ancient times were dedicated to the local deities because human sacrifice was required to cleanse the land of abominations. The Osu were mostly slaves and other categories of persons considered as “inferior”, as opposed to those who were “freeborn” or “Nwadiala”. As outcasts, they were discriminated against and not accepted by the mainstream of society.

In spite of efforts by clerics, political leaders and social crusaders to consign this system to the dustbin of history it is still being stubbornly observed in many communities. In 1956, the Eastern Nigerian House of Assembly had passed a law abolishing it, but it was not implemented.

There is no reason for this caste system to remain in these modern times. Slavery was abolished long ago, and no human sacrifice is going on anywhere in Nigeria except as a criminal offence linked to some dark cults. The constitution of Nigeria declares every person free and equal before the law. All Nigerians are constitutionally entitled to fundamental human rights, which include the right to freedom from discrimination and the dignity of the human person.

To end the Osu and similar inhuman caste systems wherever they are being practiced in Nigeria requires a combination of cultural reforms, law enforcement and active sensitisation. Serious legal actions need to be taken against any form of discrimination and dehumanisation.

We call on traditional authorities and churches in Igboland to prevail on every community still practising the Osu caste system to abolish it.

SAY NO TO OSU CASTE SYSTEM and let us all live as brothers and sisters in peace.
#EndOsu
Thank you!

We Rise!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 14, 2020
Whiteangel1234:
Stop the attack on Igbo Culture and Tradition it make us who we are the most special and Unique Black Race in the world

And so I hold.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by passiveincome01: 5:58pm On Sep 14, 2020
oh
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by vivalavida(m): 5:58pm On Sep 14, 2020
We the igbos need to have a serious conversation on this topic. This same shit ended my relationship with my fiancee two months ago. She is an osu and my people said no way. We have to admit that the culture of classifying people as Osu is purely barbaric.

I even made a thread on it
https://www.nairaland.com/5989233/igbos-should-away-osu-caste

5 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Sagefromtheeast: 5:59pm On Sep 14, 2020
Timi141:

The way they keep on defendng this system is still baffling me. I really hope the people doing these things are a small minority if not, the ibos have reaaly lost all face in my sight.
Nobody cares what you think of the Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Yankee101: 5:59pm On Sep 14, 2020
Why not elope and marry?
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by delishpot: 5:59pm On Sep 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:
If you are an OSU, you remain an OSU and generation unborn can't save you from that.

Forming an association of osus is nothing but inferiority complex.

Traditions remains tradition and can not change because few people feels that one or two things doesn't go their way.

The whole article is nothing but trash and nonsense. The wisdom of our forefathers surpasses that of all these generations.

The gods are wise and their ways unknown to men and for them to stipulate such rules, so shall it.

If you don't like Igbo tradition relocate to yorubaland and change your name to Olaotu or relocate to hausaland and change your name Kawaii but if you insist on staying in Igboland them you must respect and abide by her traditions...

The tradition makes ndigbo special.

Yeah, this is what white supremacists will say to negros too.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 6:00pm On Sep 14, 2020
Blue3k:

Biafra is dead and Kanu is a mumu. I'll speak on what ever I please if you dont like it fight me.

I fully agree with you that kanu is a mumu, infact the most useless Igbo man earth. No sane Igbo man today will ever add Akwaibom ijaw, or any of their likes into biafra. It is a recipe for disaster.

Biafra today is much alive and for Igbos homogeneous country.

So I agree with you biafra of kanu tower of babel is dead but biafra for ndigbo is much alive.

Face your Akwaibom.. period.

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by HabaHaba: 6:00pm On Sep 14, 2020
muykem:
Majority of Igbo especially those ones here in nairaland are actually OSU.

Why display such unprecedented level of Myopic insolence?!!!!

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Chlerion: 6:00pm On Sep 14, 2020
They are outcasts...they are OSUs

If anybody marries from them, the person is cursed automatically. A sane person would avoid associating or doing anything with them from the east of Niger.

4 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by ChangedMan1999(m): 6:01pm On Sep 14, 2020
vivalavida:
We the igbos need to have a serious conversation on this topic. This same shit ended my relationship with my fiancee two months ago. She is an osu and my people said no way. We have to admit that the culture of classifying people as Osu is purely barbaric.

I even made a thread on it
https://www.nairaland.com/5989233/igbos-should-away-osu-caste

The practice is bad, but the worse is bringing it up to the whole African continent, so that our tribe will be insulted.

This is something we Anambra, Imo, Ebony, Enugu and Abia people should stop on our own. We shouldn't bring up this matter shamelessly; there are people who are waiting for this to attack us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by PrettyNengiBBN: 6:01pm On Sep 14, 2020
MyTown has Abolished it
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by UDUJ(m): 6:01pm On Sep 14, 2020
nosiebaba:
we will shout black lives matter yet we dont see any value within ourselves.

That's why I always laugh when some of us complain of racism from whites. When we the black folks hate ourselves with passion.

Take nairaland for example. The level of tribal hatred in here is a perfect example of what attains in the country. Igbos and yorubas hate each other, the hausas hate the other tribes, even within same tribes the evil caste system like the Osu caste system is practiced. Terrible country.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 14, 2020
I doubt if that osu thing still exist in my town because I was a kid the last time I heard of it.

Even though my family is not osu, nothing will stop me from going after a woman from the so called osu family because I don't give a fvck about it. They are humans like me and If umunna no go follow me go marry an osu girl, there are numerous people out there who no go turn down free jollof rice and palm wine. grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 14, 2020
delishpot:

Yeah, this is what white supremacists will say to negros too.
I am black not white so what on earth do I care about their opinion.
What correlation by the way.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by freakcin: 6:03pm On Sep 14, 2020
If I could wake them up I'd beat the living daylights outta those two. Why not get married against their will and draw the attention of the world to this archaic belief?
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by delishpot: 6:03pm On Sep 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:

I am black not white so what on earth do I care about their opinion.

What correlation by the way.

Wooosh! ............ That flew right over your head

3 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 6:04pm On Sep 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:
If you are an OSU, you remain an OSU and generation unborn can't save you from that.

Forming an association of osus is nothing but inferiority complex.

Traditions remains tradition and can not change because few people feels that one or two things doesn't go their way.

The whole article is nothing but trash and nonsense. The wisdom of our forefathers surpasses that of all these generations.

The gods are wise and their ways unknown to men and for them to stipulate such rules, so shall it.

If you don't like Igbo tradition relocate to yorubaland and change your name to Olaotu or relocate to hausaland and change your name Kawaii but if you insist on staying in Igboland them you must respect and abide by her traditions...

The tradition makes ndigbo special.

Mumu. Why do you think there are millions of Igbos in the SW and North of Nigeria?

Mods, abeg ban this caveman. He broke Nairaland rule 101.

"Primitive cave dwellers are only allowed to read and must never post" .

8 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by TheChameleon: 6:04pm On Sep 14, 2020
grin

No wonder they chase Afonja boys undecided

No wonder the guys rant here

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ooni Reacts To Fire At Palace Of Oba Of Lagos / Prof. Ramon Nominated As The New Ooni Of Ife / Masquerades Spotted Buying Ice Cream On The Road (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.