Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,897 members, 7,895,917 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 09:04 PM

NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant (29129 Views)

Quit Notice To A Tenant / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? / My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by shonepa(m): 9:31am On Sep 17, 2020
Try becoming a landlord den u know, what it means.

uote author=GloShare post=94004181]Nonsense tweet.

Is there anyone who would normally inherit another person's bill?

Maybe Ozo would. Not me.

If NERC wants to show that they are working, they should focus on more relevant matters.

This particular matter is DOA. Only applies to dumb people.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 17, 2020
[quote author=Fidecoo post=94005320][/quote]

You mean you didn't add utility bills in your due diligence checks before paying for the house you claim to buy?
Well, just get in touch with the Agent with a legal action.
It's not too late.
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by Bahamas95(m): 9:45am On Sep 17, 2020
odimbannamdi:

Wetin una do am?
Nothing o. Before we moved in we asked him about the light bill to avoid trouble and he told us they don't have any problem with the bill that it's shared equally among the tenants. I wanted him to be specific about the amount to expect but he waved it off and said it's not much. I said to myself no problem, make bill come first....They brought bill that month and he said our share is 5k, I told him I will never pay that ridiculous amount. That the highest I can pay is 1k, that he didn't tell us he had accumulated bill before we moved in......It was a long story o, he threatened heaven and earth but las las he nor fit do anything. We give am race. Na 1k we pay till we pack 2months ago.

Nothing concern me with he mumu accumulated bill.
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by Nobody: 9:46am On Sep 17, 2020
otokx:

What NERC is saying now is the house will remain disconnected till the Landlord pays the previous debt.

Exactly, that's what should happen.
Reason Landlord should charge as much as 20% refundable deposit at the point of Tenancy agreement, then do a continuous monitoring and facility inspection of your assets
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by younghartz(m): 10:05am On Sep 17, 2020
Austinosconst:
Thank God o. at last. Na so I park enter one compound, the outstanding electricity bill owed by previous tenants was about 300k. Na so I begin clean shit wey another person match.
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by younghartz(m): 10:05am On Sep 17, 2020
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by magnolia4: 10:47am On Sep 17, 2020
Mumu people what if d Landlord get a prepaid Meter the month u moved in nd dem split d money on d meter, you will recharge 5k dem go comot 3k as outstanding debt credit u 2k unit....

To avoid story that touches always check the Nepa bill of the house u want to move into before paying for the house make d Bill no go shock u...

Same thing happened to us when we rented an apartment, I specifically asked the caretaker about outstanding bills and he told us we were exempted since it wasn't our debt. The following month, we just got home from work and found prepaid metres, for the past six months we've been paying outstanding debt of over 400k. I have told the caretaker that we'll deduct the amount we have paid from the rent when the time comes to pay.
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by femijay8271(m): 11:26am On Sep 17, 2020
godwin2ng:
As a landlord, do u expect me to pay the bills of a former tenant that moved out my house? Anybody moving in will bear the cost.

As u fit pay ham ba if na u be d new tenant?
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by femijay8271(m): 11:28am On Sep 17, 2020
Oracleforce:

Who will show the NEPA bill? If you ask me NEPA I will tell you to go and come tomorrow....it means you ain't ready to rent house

What's stopping you from disconnecting d old tenant that refuse to pay or can u take what u just said?
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by femijay8271(m): 11:37am On Sep 17, 2020
odimbannamdi:

So you can conveniently impose electricity debts on your new tenants? You will soon meet your match in a tenant. Dont worry.

U dey mind d guy, how you go tell me say make I pack another person Shiit
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by femijay8271(m): 11:39am On Sep 17, 2020
Revolution001:
Of course not. But challenge a Lagos landlord on this and get a quit notice.

Renting a new apartment, go to the discos serving the area and find out by giving them the address of the building and if you find out that the outstanding bill is on the high side, just get ur own prepaid meter. 4 weeks max. you can complete the process.

but can I take the prepaid meter to another rented apartment if I decided to move out
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by IamCookie(f): 12:33pm On Sep 17, 2020
femijay8271:

but can I take the prepaid meter to another rented apartment if I decided to move out

In theory, yes. But in reality, it is so cumbersome and relatively not gonna happen. What most people do is to talk to the landlord or caretaker for deduction( for meter purchased) in subsequent rent payment. In most cases, the landlord agrees or puts a certain percentage(say 70 per cent) as refund and in some cases, the landlord disagrees to refund. So, you choose!*
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by IamCookie(f): 12:34pm On Sep 17, 2020
IamCookie:

In theory, yes. But in reality, it is so cumbersome and relatively not gonna happen. What most people do is to talk to the landlord or caretaker for deduction( for meter purchased) in subsequent rent payment. In most cases, the landlord agrees(totally) or puts a certain percentage(say 70 per cent) as refund and in some cases, the landlord disagrees to refund. So, you choose!*
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by Oracleforce: 1:41pm On Sep 17, 2020
femijay8271:

What's stopping you from disconnecting d old tenant that refuse to pay or can u take what u just said?

Perhaps you are not conversant with tenancy law
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by GloShare(m): 1:46pm On Sep 17, 2020
[quote author=Fidecoo post=94005320][/quote]

So sorry about your experience.
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by abimbawealth(f): 2:12pm On Sep 17, 2020
Long overdue... Tell all these Lagos developers ooo
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by thinkmoney(m): 2:15pm On Sep 17, 2020
GloShare:
Nonsense tweet.

Is there anyone who would normally inherit another person's bill?

Maybe Ozo would. Not me.

If NERC wants to show that they are working, they should focus on more relevant matters.

This particular matter is DOA. Only applies to dumb people.
My dear, its really an issue. Maybe you are leaving in a Behind estate.
PHCN us threatening to disconnect our light because of past debt. My landlord isn't feeling too concerned because he doesn't leave in the house
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by IamCookie(f): 3:08pm On Sep 17, 2020
Oracleforce:

Perhaps you are not conversant with tenancy law

Please, what does tenancy law state in that regard?
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by Oracleforce: 3:32pm On Sep 17, 2020
IamCookie:

Please, what does tenancy law state in that regard?

Google is your friend
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by femijay8271(m): 4:39pm On Sep 17, 2020
IamCookie:

In theory, yes. But in reality, it is so cumbersome and relatively not gonna happen. What most people do is to talk to the landlord or caretaker for deduction( for meter purchased) in subsequent rent payment. In most cases, the landlord agrees or puts a certain percentage(say 70 per cent) as refund and in some cases, the landlord disagrees to refund. So, you choose!*

thanks
Re: NERC: A Landlord's outstanding Electricity Bills Cannot Be Enforced On A Tenant by Mutaultope(m): 9:31pm On Sep 17, 2020
facing the same problem

I rented an apartment last year , there are two flats and 4 rooms and parlours on a story building .

I happen to be living in one of the flats upstairs

The former tenants gulped up #490k+ outstanding NEPA bill

NOW the new tenants are now paying part of outstanding bill

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bungalow Design At Affordable Price Call Or Whatsap 08096365063 / Student Hostel Development: A Sure Way Of Making Money / Lagos Begins Demolition Of Buildings In Ojodu-Berger (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.