|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,889,374 members, 6,947,374 topics. Date: Tuesday, 05 July 2022 at 01:42 AM
An Open Letter To All Existing And Prospective Nigerian Undergraduates / Munonyedi Kelvin Egbo Graduates From University Of Glasgow UK With Distinction / Warriboy Graduated With Distinction In Masters In I.T Indiana USA (pics)(vids) (2) (3) (4)
|Top Secrets Of Academic Distinction For Nigerian Undergraduates. by Yetide(f): 12:55am On Sep 17, 2020|
Top Secrets of Academic Distinction for Nigerian Undergraduate.
Contrary to the popular opiniom that distinction is specially made for a particular grade and type of student, I have always believed with my personal experience as the dullest student in class during my primary school days that academic distinction is not only possible but achievable by all students irrespective of their family and academic background.
Academic distinction just like success also has its requirements, essentials and necessities which must be adhered to, as it is always said that nothing good comes easy. With my personal experience and all that I have gathered throughout my academic pursuit, here are some of the top secrets of academic distinction for a Nigerian undergraduate studying in tertiary institutions:
1) Focus: As an 100L student, on getting admission into the university, I discovered that the university is a diverse world from which you choose where you to belong in relations to your goal and objectives in the university. Different lives, activities and event goes on here and there in the tertiary institutions to the extent that if you are not properly guided and focused as an academic distinction aspirant, you might get distracted and loose focus. And before you know it, the examination is right at the corner with little or no time to prepare. Unfortunately this has been the regrets of many finalist saying ''if and only if they had started well by giving academics all the focus it requires from the very beginning''.
2) Determination: A lot is achievable and nothing is impossible with the power of the mind. Personally, I have always believed that man can achieve whatever he puts his mind at. The power of the mind is unfathomable and unlimited. I could remember that before I gained admission into the university, I made up my mind that I wanted academic distinctions. So, on getting into the university, all my actions and thoughts were geared towards academic excellence knowingly and unknowingly, with or without food and resources. I could remember my room mates always telling me that I was going crazy until I got what I really wanted. Yes, that is what the power of determination can to do you. If you can envision it, then you can achieve it.
3) Read like your life depends on it: As an undergraduate it was very difficult for me not to study in a day with or without the examination being at the corner. Before the lecturer starts lecturing or even comes to the class at all, I have got materials and started reading. I study from the very beginning of the semester to the very end. I would always tell myself that it is not over until it is over. So, no matter what happens, I keep on reading through out the semester till exams end. Therefore, it is very important for an academic distinction aspirant to read squarely from back to back , within and outside what is taught in the class room. Read far and wide. Gather materials and past questions. And ask questions from your predecessors. Always remember that the extra effort that you put makes the great difference.
4) Pray like you have never read: That was the popular saying during my first year in the university, I was always told that putting God first is very important and crucial in achieving academic excellence, as there are a lot of student that solely read without seeking direction from God. At the end of the day, it always looked as if they never read because they did it all alone without God's intervention. Do not quote me wrong, you can do well without prayers but your success becomes established and certain with prayers. Therefore, the equation for academic excellence is incomplete without God.
5) Discover and know yourself: What works for your friends might not work for you. Therefore, self discovery is very important so as to know when, where and how you read best for easy and fast comprehension.
6) Choose your friends wisely: Birds of the same flocks they say flocks together which means if you want academic distinction, then you move and work with people of the same mind set so that you can drill, push, motivate and encourage yourselves to do more. I can remember working with the best academic team in 100L from different faculties. We helped one another to achieve success.
7) Be highly sensitive and smart: One of the most important quality of distinction students is their ability to be sensitive to what different lecturers want and time. Distinction students understand time and season. As a distinction aspirant, you have to be very sensitive to what you hear and see in order to take note of important things and work on it.
1 Like 1 Share
|Re: Top Secrets Of Academic Distinction For Nigerian Undergraduates. by Stephenomozzy(m): 1:04am On Sep 17, 2020|
Very Educative write up OP. Kudos and thanks for sharing.
Also, while doing everything to be excellent on paper (certificate), also dedicate a little of your time into equipping yourself (Skills and proficiency in one or two) for the realities outside the four walls and certificate of school... That gives you a greater edge among your peers of distinction!
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54