Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

Edo Guber: I Won’t Be Surprised If Obaseki Wins — Tony Momoh, APC Chieftain - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo Guber: I Won’t Be Surprised If Obaseki Wins — Tony Momoh, APC Chieftain (151 Views)

Even If Obaseki Wins This Election ... APC Will Use Imo State Formula (Opinion) / Tony Momoh: I Won’t Be Shocked If Obaseki Wins Edo Governorship Election / Tony Momoh: APC Has Five National Leaders, Not Just One (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Edo Guber: I Won’t Be Surprised If Obaseki Wins — Tony Momoh, APC Chieftain by nairavsdollars(f): 8:08am On Sep 17, 2020
Temidayo Akinsuyi

Lagos- Prince Tony Momoh, a former Minister of Information and one of the na­tional leaders of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), said on Wednesday that he won’t be shocked if Governor Godwin Obaseki, candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), wins this weekend’s gov­ernorship election in Edo State.

Speaking exclusively with Daily Independent, Momoh, former national chairman of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), said the APC must work very hard if it must win the election.

He said Governor Obase­ki was on solid ground and it would be foolhardy for any serious politician to dismiss him in Saturday’s election.

Momoh, who said he wanted his party, the APC, to win, however, said he based his opinion on the fact that the PDP is a very strong party in Edo State, having two out of the three senators in the state as well as the endorsements Obaseki had received from teachers, pensioners, and others in the state.

While saying nobody could predict the outcome of the election, he, however, added that he also expected Ize-Iyamu to emerge victo­rious, given the fact that he is a grassroots politician who has a large follower­ship in the state.

“I won’t be surprised if any of the party wins. If INEC declares Obaseki the winner, I won’t be shocked, because both candidates are solid on the ground.

“You cannot say that Obaseki is not solid on the ground. He is very solid and also Ize-Iyamu cannot be written off, too.

“He is also very solid on the ground. So, we have to wait until after the election to know the winner. The only thing I’m praying for is that there should be no violence".

“Initially, I said APC will overrun Edo State; that was before Ize-Iyamu joined us.

“When he joined us, I said with his exit from the PDP, it would be a total vic­tory for the APC and total elimination for the PDP. Then, we had a problem and Obaseki left and joined the PDP.

“Then I said, with Obase­ki joining the PDP, there will be problems for APC because he won’t go alone.

“He will move his struc­tures out of the APC to the PDP. Some people criticised me when I said so, but we all saw what happened".

I also said the Edo gov­ernorship election will no longer be a tea party for the APC. It will be a very tough battle.

“The APC must work hard if they will defeat the PDP. I said so, having looked at the situation on the ground.

“The PDP has two sena­tors, the APC has only one. Out of the nine House of Reps members, APC has three, the rest are in the PDP".

“In the presidential elec­tion, the APC had 46 per­cent, the PDP had 54. So, I don’t write off anybody at all.

“We must work very hard but my own consola­tion has been and still is the fact that Ize-Iyamu is a grassroots politician in Edo State.

“Everybody knows him in Edo and he has massive support at the grassroots level.

“But Obaseki is the in­cumbent and he has lots of support among the in­stitutions, such as traders, teachers, pensioners, who all have endorsed him.

“These organised bodies are not people you just dis­miss like that.”

Speaking further, Mo­moh said Obaseki would have remained in the APC if he wasn’t disqualified from participating in the primaries by the National Working Committee (NWC) of the APC, led by its for­mer national chairman, Adams Oshiomhole.

Momoh, who is a senior lawyer, also said those claiming Obaseki would be removed by the court if he wins the election for participating in two prima­ries are wrong.

He argued that the gov­ernor only participated in the PDP primaries having been barred from the APC.

“Obaseki wouldn’t have left the APC if he wasn’t disqualified. Why would he have left?

“He was disqualified, that was why he left. So, people who said he wasn’t qualified because he con­tested in two primaries don’t know what they are talking about.”

https://www.independent.ng/edo-guber-i-wont-be-surprised-if-obaseki-wins-tony-momoh-apc-chieftain/

Re: Edo Guber: I Won’t Be Surprised If Obaseki Wins — Tony Momoh, APC Chieftain by Mynd44: 9:03am On Sep 17, 2020

(1)

RNV CONVENTION: Nigeria @60 - Nigeria In The Next 20 Years / Hajj: Tambuwal Urges NAHCON To Review Airlifting Policy / Prioritizing Certificate Or Skill Set In An Evolving Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.