Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,155 members, 7,807,520 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? (8485 Views)

You Follow CHRIST When You Do HIS Will / Is Your Church Responsible For Your Inability To Follow Christ? / What Does It Take To Follow Christ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 20, 2020
Maybe Christ should give up his wealth and follow me cheesy so me and Christ can smoke some highgrade weed together. grin

That is if Christ has any wealth or even existed
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by DavidEsq(m): 2:02pm On Sep 20, 2020
Righteousnesss8:

Your papa..
Ajoke oniranu
grin angry angry grin angry u no well ah swear grin grin grin see as u dey para
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by golamike: 2:31pm On Sep 20, 2020
Well, it's good to always read the Word of God with understanding through the Holy Spirit. Jesus was trying to teach a very important lesson through that Scripture. The statement came to that man because Jesus saw that having kept every commandment, his ONLY shortcoming was the fact that he placed so much importance on his wealth.
Mark 10:21 - Jesus told the man ".... one thing thou lackest, go thy way, sell whatever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shall have treasure in heaven...."
The man left with sorrow after that statement. Why? Because he placed so much importance on his wealth. He would rather have his possessions than follow Christ.

The lesson isn't just for the rich, as long as you place a huge importance on wealth (believing being wealthy can solve all your problems), it will be difficult for you to submit to the will of God and without submission to His will, no man can follow him.

If you're rich but believe not in your riches, and considers everything as secondary for His will alone to be done, then you can have possessions and still serve him the right way. Don't forget, our patriarchs of faith had possessions and still pleased God. So the problem is not with the possessions but the mindset.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by golamike: 2:39pm On Sep 20, 2020
gypsey:
Maybe Christ should give up his wealth and follow me cheesy so me and Christ can smoke some highgrade weed together. grin

That is if Christ has any wealth or even existed

Christ already gave up all He had for your sake when he left His Glory in heaven to come die for you.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by razible5384(m): 3:46pm On Sep 20, 2020
jesusjnr2020:
Yes he must if he just doesn't want to be saved to enter into the kingdom of God in heaven, but also that which is on Earth.

It doesn't necessarily mean a rich man literally forsaking all his riches, but to forsake it mentally.

To illustrate, Abraham didn't need to literally sacrifice Isaac to God, but he would have done it had God not stopped him to show that he'd already sacrificed him mentally, so doing it literally would just be a mere formality. Hence God rewarded him for obeying His voice despite the fact that he didn't literally sacrifice his son as God had instructed him to do.

That mentality is what all God requires from anyone who wants to enter into His kingdom on Earth, and i wouldn't be surprised if Jesus had stopped the rich young man from doing it literally as God did in the instance of Abraham, if he had also shown that mentality of the kingdom of God.

This is the mentality all of His apostles had, so for anyone to truly become one, he must have that.

Jesus said, it's almost impossible for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God on Earth because they hardly have that mentality which it requires.

God bless.
i so much love this explanation.. Thanks bro

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by bizzibodi(m): 4:41pm On Sep 20, 2020
No for that particular Richman it is loves his unbridled love for wealth, primitive accumulation that is hindering him from going to heaven,just as we have many greedy, proud, boastful,MOGs that has made money/material possessions their god.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 20, 2020
golamike:

Christ already gave up all He had for your sake when he left His Glory in heaven to come die for you.
Yea right, when did he do such? did you witness Christ do that? and oh! i don't remember asking Christ to give up anything for me. Christ should have asked for my permission first.

That is if christ ever existed.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Bankilolo: 5:32pm On Sep 20, 2020
If you a born again , you will be fill with the holy spirit and according to the word of God you will be lead by the holy spirit so if holy spirit is leading you to give away your wealth give but if holy spirit is not leading you to do so , don't. May the Lord bless you.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Kay25(m): 9:23pm On Sep 20, 2020
onenaija001:
Hi guys, I am still curious about what Christ told the young rich man about selling all he has and giving to the poor in Matthew 19:16-30, Mark 10:17-31, and Luke 18:18-30?

I brought this up because some Churches always bring these bible passages up, while others say Christ is not poor so Christians are not supposed to be poor.
giving up all you have is not monetary wise but in honouring God first in all you do.a Christian is not supposed to be poor but being poor can be your choice ..but we are all poor in the spirit a state of helplessness that only the grace of God can save us all
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 20, 2020
Righteousnesss8:
Trash undecided

Not every thing resembles your life. (TRASH)

Go get a decent life my guy.

Jesus saves
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 20, 2020
Righteousnesss8:

Your papa..
Ajoke oniranu

You are sick mentally.

Fool.

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 20, 2020
Honchoslim16:
Goddamn mehn!

Who Christianity epp?

Period!

It helps us.

Glory be God.

Hallelujah!
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 20, 2020
Ezekiel36vs28:
This is very wrong from you.What that scripture is saying is the will of God for a Christian. You give or sow all you have to God whether you possess very much or very little.There is no middle ground or anything like a mental giving Here but actual giving up of your property.That is the work of GRACE in a Christians life.God’s GRACE will first of all make you very poor before it will now lift you to realms you could never have attained even with your former riches. You can see GRACE at work in the early church by them selling Their possessions(lands and houses inclusive) they had and laying it at the Apostles feet to be shared to everyone who had need(Acts 2:45 and 4:32-37).That is why 2 cor 8:9 says”For you know the grace of our lord Jesus Christ,that,though he was rich,yet for your sakes he became poor,that you through his poverty might be rich”.So also you who has riches will become poor for others to be rich if you are a man under the GRACE of Jesus Christ.It is the law of Grace and the law has not changed.thanks

No one can lay claim to knowing it all when it comes to explaining the scriptures.
This is the way you see it, that is the way he sees it and someone else might understand it differently. Yet that doesn't make any of you less a child of God.

Stay blessed.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 20, 2020
CoolSmithz:

What private jet ?
The one you bought for him ?

grin
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Sep 20, 2020
BlueAngel444:
and this is Pride tongue

I see the response of the other guy more of pride than his. Go and read his response. He calls himself the word of God. No one is except Christ.

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Ezekiel36vs28: 9:59pm On Sep 20, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

No one can lay claim to knowing it all when it comes to explaining the scriptures.
This is the way you see it, that is the way he sees it and someone else might understand it differently. Yet that doesn't make any of you less a child of God.

Stay blessed.
It is not the way I see it but what that scripture is.God is the one who preached there to everyone of you reading it.Anyone born of the word of God and filled with His spirit will discern that God is the one who spoke there and not how you see it or think.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 20, 2020
Ezekiel36vs28:
That is God’s declaration concerning you.Thanks

Guy you think too much of yourself. You are pride personified.
If you disagree with another Christian do it with love and humility.
Who confirmed it that your opinion on this issue is accurate?

You must be seeing yourself dining with the angels in your dreams.

2 Likes

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Ezekiel36vs28: 10:13pm On Sep 20, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

I see the response of the other guy more of pride than his. Go and read his response. He calls himself the word of God. No one is except Christ.
Yes,and i am a Christ.God came down in form of a man as Jesus Christ to raise up men for himself called Christ or sons of God or messiahs or the word of God or Gods.There is no pride there but truth as declared by God concerning his children.Anyone who who has been baptized into Christ is a Christ.It is God’s doing which is marvelous in our sight.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Ezekiel36vs28: 10:16pm On Sep 20, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

Guy you think too much of yourself. You are pride personified.
If you disagree with another Christian do it with love and humility.
Who confirmed it that your opinion on this issue is accurate?

You must be seeing yourself dining with the angels in your dreams.
I don’t think too much of myself but declare what is truth.Or you will rather I tell him what is not the truth or what?
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 12:13am On Sep 21, 2020
Ezekiel36vs28:
Yes,and i am a Christ.God came down in form of a man as Jesus Christ to raise up men for himself called Christ or sons of God or messiahs or the word of God or Gods.There is no pride there but truth as declared by God concerning his children.Anyone who who has been baptized into Christ is a Christ.It is God’s doing which is marvelous in our sight.

Wonderful! grin

You are not Christ but Christ like.

A person who emulates Christ.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by mithras(m): 12:21am On Sep 21, 2020
Angelfrost:
Christianity is not as literal as many erroneously take it... There is a lot of subjectivity with regards to that event in scripture.

That was not the first nor only wealthy person Christ encountered through out his earthly ministry. There were others: The Centurion, Zaccheus, even Jarius. He never asked them all to do exactly what he demanded of the person above... The question should be, Why??!

The answer is quite simple... The rest were not deeply and overtly attached to their wealth. Christ could easily tell, can still easily tell till date.

Asking the man to part with his wealth (Note: Not to Christ, like some so called men of God today, but to the needy) was intended specifically to test where his heart truly lay: In fully following Christ or whether Christ would come second to his wealth.

God has to come first in a Christian's life... Professing to love Christ while serving him only when and where convenient is not an acceptable discipleship trait. To be truly connected to God, and be a disciple, while not discarding your God-given wealth, they must never take the place of God in our lives... The pursuit of earthly wealth should be secondary to Divine pursuits.

Hi bro, just want to let you know that I do enjoy reading your comment, you seem have knowledge bout just everything there is to know
from politics, sports, entertainment, religion, celebrities, etc, you're the content man. God bless you man, I'll keep reading your comment
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by UgoFly: 9:32am On Sep 21, 2020
onenaija001:
Hi guys, I am still curious about what Christ told the young rich man about selling all he has and giving to the poor in Matthew 19:16-30, Mark 10:17-31, and Luke 18:18-30?

I brought this up because some Churches always bring these bible passages up, while others say Christ is not poor so Christians are not supposed to be poor.

Now that the whole trend and argument on this issue has died, I want you to do a research on the life of Henry Parsons Crowell, the founder of Quaker Oats and also the lifestyle of David Green.
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Angelfrost(m): 10:11am On Sep 21, 2020
mithras:

Hi bro, just want to let you know that I do enjoy reading your comment, you seem have knowledge bout just everything there is to know
from politics, sports, entertainment, religion, celebrities, etc, you're the content man. God bless you man, I'll keep reading your comment

This is quite humbling, to say the least... Thank you brother! I give God all the glory... Wisdom comes solely from Him.

1 Like

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Ezekiel36vs28: 11:05am On Sep 21, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

Wonderful! grin

Now your position and understanding about who a son of God is might seem to emits humility but it is still wrong according to scriptures concerning anyone who is a son of God.A son of God is a Christ and accepting and walking in that knowledge is what is humility to God and not that your position.Brother let God’s ways be your way and His thoughts also become your thoughts.thanks
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Ezekiel36vs28: 11:19am On Sep 21, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

Wonderful! grin

you see my brother in Christ,I understand your position that you have not come to the knowledge of who a Christian is and therefore when you see or hear one who has come to that knowledge declare the truth you will assume it is pride not knowing that to God that is actually humility.When you come to full knowledge then you will understand that a Christian is a Christ and not just “Christ like”.thanks
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by BlueAngel444: 12:22pm On Sep 21, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

ya, I agree both responses are pride
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Honchoslim16(m): 4:27pm On Sep 21, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

It helps us.

Glory be God.

Hallelujah!

gο∂∂αми мєни!

ϲοиgяατѕ!

ρєяιο∂!
Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by sonmvayina(m): 7:19pm On Sep 21, 2020
And this also

1 Share

Re: Must A Rich Man Give All He Has If He Wants To Follow Christ? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 22, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

You are sick mentally.

Fool.

Your papa na fool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Where Can I Do 3months Bible Crash Course In Lagos? / Rhapsody Of Realities Devotional For Today 13th December 2021 / Why You Should Watch What You Feed Your Mind As A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.