Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,465 members, 7,808,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:02 PM

What My Father Told Me About Igbos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What My Father Told Me About Igbos (1651 Views)

What Bishop Ajayi Crowther Said About Igbos After Visiting Igboland In 1857 / What My Father Told Me About Hausa-fulani / Presidential Tribunal : My Father Told Me Atiku Is Born Nigerian- Pdp’s Witness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What My Father Told Me About Igbos by sirjamesjnr(m): 9:46am On Sep 18, 2020
The Igbos are a business-minded people, although this is only one of the manifestations of an Igbo man's blazing ambition and drive for superiority. The Igbo man enjoys to feel superior to others (which includes members of other ethnic groups as well as his own) and in order to justify this feeling, he employs all his abilities to make it reality. To the Igbo man, superiority is based not on what WE have or on what WE are, but on what I am and what I have. Individuality, as opposed to communalism, rules the Igbo psyche, which, perhaps, makes the Igbos seem more progressive-minded than other ethnicities.

However, it is this same trait that flaws the Igbos the most. Igbo people are widely reputed to be selfish, brutally astute and cynically cunning and heartless. It makes the Igbos view everyone (including fellow Igbos) as simply a rung on the ladder of achievement, and hardly would hesitate to cut corners. (The only time I've been duped, I fell prey to an Igbo man in a Yoruba land, who played on my intelligence using the Igbo language as bait to rope me in). Is this same trait that has rendered the Igbo politically irrelevant in a nation where political involvement at the national level is mainly determined by the communal support of your own ethnic group. It is this same trait that makes other ethnicities use a long spoon whenever an Igbo man is at the table. It is trait that brews the intoxicating mix of fear and resentment towards the Igbos in the hearts of others.

But really, Igbos are lovable, hospitable and always willing to learn new cultures. Igbos consider the languages other Nigerian ethnicities as exotic rather than offensive, and it usually is a plus if an Igbo person can converse in more than one Nigerian language. And if they look beyond the unfounded stereotypes, Nigerians would realize that they have quite some lessons to learn from the Igbos if the One Nigeria mantra is to be taken seriously.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by Enudapan: 9:56am On Sep 18, 2020
Nna eh! No qualms
Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by Sammy07: 9:58am On Sep 18, 2020
FP worthy tho
Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by Sammy07: 9:59am On Sep 18, 2020
Lemme add one cool

Igbos are money attached than any other tribe.
Reason why you see them doing business which will brings profit immediately. (either legal or illegal).

Reason why you didn't see much of them in agriculture, and skills (like hair dressing, furniture, etc).
As you can see those skills required patience , igbo man go no patience.

Lastly, on Money attached.
If you notice them, Igbo men marry late.
That's because he believes he has to be established and get something at hand before going to marry.

Unlike other tribes that believes God will open way during or after marriage.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by mabea: 10:01am On Sep 18, 2020
Your father did not tell you all the truth

8 Likes

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by chatinent: 10:02am On Sep 18, 2020
What your father said actually counts to you alone. It doesn't mean every Igbo and definitely does not infer everyone must accept it.

3 Likes

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by landforeast(m): 10:03am On Sep 18, 2020
Just like every other ethnic groups, we all have our weakness and strength.
Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by sirjamesjnr(m): 10:03am On Sep 18, 2020
mabea:
Your father did not tell you all the truth
. Will love to hear from you

1 Like

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by flokii: 10:06am On Sep 18, 2020
Your father can't know them more than Ahmadu Bello.. he said it all in his interview.

Respect and gender are two things alien to them. What Yorubas have been practising since time immemorial. They view those who don't subscribe to their ideologies as weak which is very false.

3 Likes

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by landforeast(m): 10:07am On Sep 18, 2020
Sammy07:
Lemme add one cool

Reason why you see them doing business which will brings profit immediately. (either legal or illegal).

Reason why you didn't see much of them in agriculture, and skills (like hair dressing, furniture, etc).

That's because he believes he has to be established and get something at hand before going to marry.

There you go again with Lies. Igbos are diverse in nature, we have larger percentage of Igbos in Skills trade. Go to Aba and see for yourself. Every tribe in Nigeria loves money so purge yourself off that believe that Igbos too like money and na igbos dey steal Nigeria money pass?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by Peterobi90: 10:08am On Sep 18, 2020
You father only told you his myopic view, not enough to generalize people...

9 Likes

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by AMYSTEV(m): 10:08am On Sep 18, 2020
Your father opinion though
Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by AMYSTEV(m): 10:08am On Sep 18, 2020
Your father's opinion though
Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by mabea: 10:13am On Sep 18, 2020
sirjamesjnr:
. Will love to hear from you
The igbo man is not driven by any superiority complex or whatever. The igbo man just wants to succeed in everything he do without intentionally competing with anyone. Your stereotype on selfish, cunning and all the ilks are just products of your imaginations and misconceptions. What drives igbos is success and nothing but success that's why you find that they are successful in everything not just trade

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by mabea: 10:15am On Sep 18, 2020
flokii:
Your father can't know them more than Ahmadu Bello.. he said it all in his interview.

Respect and gender are two things alien to them. What Yorubas have been practising since time immemorial. They view those who don't subscribe to their ideologies as weak which is very false.
Mr lecturer don't teach me nonsense

2 Likes

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by KNOWMORE56: 10:20am On Sep 18, 2020
All tribes are jealous of the Igbos

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by MartinsOnyx(m): 10:20am On Sep 18, 2020
Sammy07:
Lemme add one cool

So, in your warped opinion, you think it is easier and takes more time to learn hairdressing and furniture-making than learning the rudiments of more technical spheres like auto spare parts, electrical/electronics etc?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by Yobabad: 10:21am On Sep 18, 2020
Hope your father is not a Yoruba Muslim or Ymm member

3 Likes

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by Sammy07: 10:53am On Sep 18, 2020
MartinsOnyx:
So, in your warped opinion, you think it is easier and takes more time to learn hairdressing and furniture-making than learning the rudiments of more technical spheres like auto spare parts, electrical/electronics etc?

If you're asked to choose one to start a business, which one will you go for?

Hairdressing / furniture or Spareparts / electronics?
Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by IamWonderful: 1:35pm On Sep 18, 2020
ok
Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by Charleys: 1:38pm On Sep 18, 2020
Sammy07:

If you're asked to choose one to start a business, which one will you go for?

Hairdressing / furniture or Spareparts / electronics?

80 percent of other tribes are Muslims, how do they go into hairdressing and still cover their heads.

You are wrong on this one.
Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by Finnese001: 1:40pm On Sep 18, 2020
grin
Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by Sammy07: 2:07pm On Sep 18, 2020
Charleys:

80 percent of other tribes are Muslims, how do they go into hairdressing and still cover their heads.

You are wrong on this one.

Lol, Wetin you dey talk?
So that northern Muslims barb their hairs?

Come to SW and many ladies into hairdressing, Make ups, Even male hairdreser
Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by kayfra: 2:09pm On Sep 18, 2020
Nobody cares about this BS

grin

1 Like

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by sirjamesjnr(m): 3:02pm On Sep 18, 2020
I was expecting counter points from my write up not some bashing. Where do we keep our manners? Ibos should write something nice and facts about themselves.

1 Like

Re: What My Father Told Me About Igbos by DrFunmisticGlow: 3:03pm On Sep 18, 2020
Righteosness89:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Issoright
I don't give a fcvk about any tribe
The only tribe I Know is money
So righteousness89 and slawormir are the same person.

(1) (2) (Reply)

DSS Rescues Minister, Soun As Hoodlums Attack Palace In Ogbomoso / Who Else Have Noticed The Suspension Of Boko Haram And Banditry Atrocities / EMBARGO: Onion Price Crashes From 35k To 7k In Kano (VIDEO) -Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.