Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,789 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Less Than Nothing - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Less Than Nothing (20263 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Less Than Nothing by dawno2008(m): 7:54am On Feb 06, 2021
Thanks for the update
Re: Less Than Nothing by kweensheba: 7:40pm On Feb 06, 2021
SeyiDominion:

His hand clamped down over her mouth and he let out an almighty cry and thrust against her one more time, so deeply she felt he might split her in two. She felt his semen pumping out inside her. Hot, dangerous. He collapsed over her and pulled his hand away. They gasped for air together, filling their lungs in ragged bursts until the moment passed and reality began to creep back into focus.

Several minutes later, they lay naked under the bedspread.

“Finally, you’re mine,’’ he said as he rubbed her back.

She smiled. “Yes, but not completely.’’

There were seconds of silence. “When will you carry out the elimination?’’ she asked.

He grinned to himself. Tentatively, he had asked himself if indeed he wanted to carry out that task, how would he do it? He had outlined
options in his mind. Option A was to send hired killers. That would not be easy because he always had tight security around him. Option B
would be to poison him. That could be done, but he would need someone close to him like his cook to carry out that.

But the truth was Ola did not really intend to do any elimination. He had decided that he would just pretend that he would carry it out.

Meanwhile, he would have to make the best of his intimacy with her.

“I’m still planning how best to carry it out,’’ he said. “We have to be careful not to leave any suspicion. It has to be a professional job.’’

She nodded. “Yes, but the earlier the better. “I’m dying to yours only.’’

Really? Again, Ola grinned to himself. He was happy she said. “Don’t worry. I’m making magnificent plans.’’

Some minutes later, when they were dressing up, Ola said the words he considered the most important. “I need a grant,’’ he said. “I’m wondering
if you can be of help.’’

“A grant? How much?’’

He was surprised by the alacrity and the keenness he could detect in her voice.

“I have a building project I’m working on. It’s getting to the roof level and I need some money to complete it.’’

She smiled at him. “That will be no problem. I’ll be glad to be of assistance. How much will you need?’’

Again he was very glad about her keenness. “Conservatively, I’ll need about five million naira more.’’

She was thoughtful briefly. “I will see what I can do. You may not get the whole money once, but in the few days, you will get the sum you said.
All the same, by tomorrow morning, I will send some money to your account. You have to send me your account details.’’

He nodded. “I’ll do so, pronto.’’ He brought out his cell phone and sent one of his private account numbers to her cell cell phone.

He kissed her good night. She went home in her BMW while he rode his CRV to is Ogba residence. To him, it was a very satisfying night. As he was going to bed, he received a text message. It was a bank alert informing him that a sum of one million naira had been deposited into his account. Moni could not even wait till the following morning before paying the money as she had said.

Ola grinned to himself. This was just the beginning of good things to come.

For the next two weeks, Ola and Moni alternated between talking on the telecell phone for several minutes anytime they could not meet in their “love nest’’; and meeting there secretly to exhaust their passion. So far, they had met there three times. Within those weeks, he got the five million naira she had promised. He was having the best of his life.

Today, he had come to the office in his feisty self. It was just few minutes after eight but Moni had not arrived at the office. Ola threw himself at work. His cell cell phone rang and he was surprised it was Agbaman Yomi.

“Good morning, sir,’’ Ola greeted.

“Good morning, Mr. Johnson. How’re you?’’

“I’m fine sir.’’

“There was a matter I didn’t remember to discuss with you on Friday. There were certain discrepancies in the finances of the cement company at
Suleja. I’ve told the MD he is to step aside until the accounts are externally audited and everything is clear. For now, you’re to the company and
resume as acting MD.

Ola was all ears. “Yes, sir.’’

“You’re to report there immediately,’’ Agbaman went on. “You can take the mid-day flight to Abuja and be in Suleja by two p.m. you need to
report at the company before the close of business today.’’

Ola was stupefied. If he heard Agbaman right, what the latter was saying was that he would have to travel to Abuja in the next couple of hours
and he would be resuming at the Cornerstone Cement Company, a company owned by the Agbaman conglomerate later that afternoon in
Suleja!

What kind of fire-brigade approach was that? Why didn’t he tell him all these over the weekend? Why wait until Monday morning? Now, he
would have to start preparing fast like somebody whose garrison commander had asked him to embark on an emergency posting!

Besides, he, Ola, was a chartered accountant with bias in business administration. Why choose him for such a job. Was it not better that somebody who studied engineering should be the MD of a cement company? Why couldn’t the assistant MD at the company be made an acting MD?

Miffed as he was, Ola kept these indignations to himself.

“Alright, sir,’’ he said.

The line went dead. Phew, so he would have to travel to Abuja that day! He must go home and get few things that he would take with him. He
felt like calling Moni to intimate her of the development but he decided against it. She would know when she called him.

With this development, he would be far away from Moni, he thought in gloom. So, how would they maintain contact? Would it be only by telephone? Suleja was several hundreds of kilometers from Lagos and he could not tell yet if he would be travelling to Lagos every weekend.
Why was it now that he was posted to the Northern town?

He had to leave his office without wasting further time so that he could go home and pack some few personal effects. In the next few minutes, after he had tidied up things in the office, his driver drove him home in the Toyota Avalon.

Boma was on night shift, so was at home. She was surprised to see him at that hour.

Less Than Nothing: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/less_than_nothing/37142

Nice work
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 6:41pm On Feb 09, 2021
He had to leave his office without wasting further time so that he could go home and pack some few personal effects. In the next few minutes, after he had tidied up things in the office, his driver drove him home in the Toyota Avalon.

Boma was on night shift, so was at home. She was surprised to see him at that hour.

“Hope no problem,’’ she asked anxiously.

“No. I’ve come to pack some few things. I’ve been transferred to Suleja.’’

Her surprise was total. “Suleja? Why? For what?’’

“I was told I would be the acting MD of the Cornerstone cement company there.’’

“Acting MD? Well, that’s a promotion. Congratulations!’’

Ola nearly snickered. Promotion? He had not thought of it along that line. Fact was he didn’t want that kind of promotion at this point. He went
to take some clothes and arranged them in a luggage. He would have to buy some things when he got over there, so he should only take those
few things that were essential.

“When will you be coming to Lagos?’’ Boma asked.

“I don’t know yet. When I get there, I will decide.’’

After he had finished parking, he asked if she would need any money. He normally gave weekly house-keeping allowance and there should still
be some money left.

“There’s still some left,’’ she echoed.

“No problem. When I get there, I’ll send more money to your account.’’

“Be careful over there, dear,’’ she entreated. “God be with you.’’

“Amen.’’

The house girl called a taxi that would take him to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Ikeja. He got there on time as the traffic was
very light, bought a one-way flight to Abuja and waited at the Departure Lounge for the time of his flight.

By quarter to twelve noon, announcement came through the public address system that passengers on his flight should proceed to the tarmac.

The fifty-minutes flight was smooth. At the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport, he bargained with one of the cabs to take him to Suleja, a town of just
about fifty-six kilometers away. He first went to the town to lodge in a modest hotel. At least, he could keep his personal effects there and have
decent meal and sleep.

He then changed from his casuals of jeans and t-shirt to a black suit. He felt like eating but that would have to wait. He took another cab to
Lokoja Road where the cement factory was located. He went straight to the office of the Managing Director, Engineer Abu Suleiman.

Ola was surprised to find the man “on seat.’’

“Ah, the Lagos Director,’’ Suleiman hailed him. “I hope you’ve brought good news from Lagos.’’

Ola was surprised by this. “You’re still here? I thought you’ve been asked to proceed on leave.’’

Suleiman laughed as if he –Ola – had said something very funny.

“Well, things have changed and I’m still fully the Managing Director.’’

Ola remained nonplused. “But that was not the Chairman said. I was told I would be resuming here as Managing Director.’’

Suleiman snickered. “That’s not the latest, Mr. Finance Director. Get your facts right.’’

“Really? Excuse me.’’ Ola stepped out of the office to put a call to Mr. Agbaman. Saying that he was confused would be a gross understatement.

“Hello, good afternoon, sir.’’

“Yeah, good day.’’

“I’m in Suleja right now. I’ve met the MD and ...’’

“You mean you’ve travelled? Didn’t my secretary call you that I said the matter has been resolved and there’s no need you travel again?’’

Ola was dazed. Oh God, no one said any such thing. “No sir.’’

“Oh, there must have been a communication gap. I earlier sent the message that the issues concerning the discrepancies in finance have been
settled and that you should remain in Lagos.’’

Oh, what a bloody oversight, Ola thought gloomily. He felt like screaming at somebody, but he knew he dared not do that to Agbaman.

“Sorry about that,’’ Agbaman went on. “Take the next flight back to Lagos. See you.’’ The line was disengaged.

To think that he had just made a very fruitless trip from Lagos to Abuja!

Alright, so he had to return to Lagos. That was better that being tucked away in Suleja, wasn’t it? He went back to the MD’’s office. “I’ve spoken
with the Chairman and he explained the situation. I will have to go back to Lagos.’’

Engineer Suleiman nodded at him smugly. “Safe journey.’’

Ola went back to his hotel room. The time now was almost three-thirty p.m. and he wondered if he should still go back to the airport and take
the next available flight to Lagos, or remain in Suleja till the following day. He finally decided to leave. The hotel manager was surprised when
he told him he would be checking out.

“So soon?’’ the man asked.

Ola nodded. “Yes. Something urgent came up in Lagos and I have to return.’’

“I see. Safe journey then. We’ll be expecting you again very soon.’’

Ola tipped him and left the hotel. He took another taxi to the Abuja airport. The trip was mid-way when a text message came in. it was from an
unknown number and it had a terse message that read: It would be better you stop having affairs with another man’s wife. This will be the last
warning.

He read the message quickly again and wondered who could have sent it. He dialed the sender’s number but could not get through. Surprising,
at his second attempt, the service provider informed him the number he was trying to reach was switched off.

Who was the sender? He asked himself. Did the sender know about the secret love affair between him and Moni? Of course, that was a dumb
question. If the sender did not know, would the person send such a message?

He thought of Moni. Why had she not called him? Again he reached for his cell phone. The agreement between them was that she would be the
one to be calling, to be on the safe side; but Ola would breach that agreement. In a matter as important as this, it would be exigent for him to
do so.

Another surprise awaited him. He could not get through any of her two numbers. What was all this? There was no way he could explain the
nasty experience he was having – from the sudden trip to the anonymous text and now to the lack of access to Moni.

Calm down, he told himself. There was no need for alarm. The message was probably sent by someone who was trying to play a fast one on
him. He wished he could believe the voice that asked him to calm down. As much as he hoped to remain calm, he could not. His mind went to
Agbaman. Could the man be suspecting anything? Could he be the one that sent the text?

1 Like

Re: Less Than Nothing by Ann2012(f): 9:10am On Feb 10, 2021
Thanks for the update
Re: Less Than Nothing by Awesome05: 9:46pm On Feb 12, 2021
Interesting story
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 3:24pm On Feb 21, 2021
Another surprise awaited him. He could not get through any of her two numbers. What was all this? There was no way he could explain the nasty experience he was having – from the sudden trip to the anonymous text and now to the lack of access to Moni.

Calm down, he told himself. There was no need for alarm. The message was probably sent by someone who was trying to play a fast one on him. He wished he could believe the voice that asked him to calm down.

As much as he hoped to remain calm, he could not. His mind went to Agbaman. Could the man be suspecting anything? Could he be the one that sent the text?

Again, his mind told him to calm. After one hour and ten minutes in the taxi, they were at the airport. Ola paid the driver off and went to a travelling agency office to buy the return ticket to Lagos.

From there, he went to the departure lounge. As he sat there, he thought about the text message he had received again.

Once more, he tried to call the number that sent the text, but he got the same response.

Somewhere at the back of his mind, he had a nagging fear that Agbaman already knew. Now, if that should be true, then he, Ola, must retrace his steps. He had been warned and it was better he heeded the warning.

The flight back to Lagos was equally smooth. From the Ikeja Airport, he took a cab to his residence. It was getting on to six o’clock and his wife was still at home, preparing for her shift job.

“You’re back?’’ she expressed in sheer surprise.

“What happened?’’

Ola hissed. “You won’t believe that I’ve only wasted my time and resources in travelling. Well, to cut a long story short, I’ve been asked to return to Lagos.’’

“What! You mean you’re not going to be the acting Managing Director of the cement company again?’’

“No. The Chairman said the matter has been resolved, so I should come back.’’

Boma could not fully understand the situation. Was it the Chairman that was confused or her husband? A couple of hours later, she left the house to go and resume duty. Ola decided to remain indoors for the rest of the day.

It was few minutes to nine when Moni eventually called.

“Goodness, I’ve been trying your number,’’ she said. “Hope no problem?’’

She had been trying his numbers? No, he was the one that had been trying her number! “I’ve also been trying your number,’’ he said.

“I was surprised when the service provider said your cell phone was switched off.’’

“Yes, it was switched off at a time,’’ she admitted.

“How’re you?’’

“It has been such a hectic day for me. You didn’t even ask about my trip to the north.’’

“What trip are you talking about?’’ She sounded surprised.

“Didn’t you know that I had to travel to Suleja? Didn’t your husband tell you he asked me to go and report at the cement company?’’

“No.’’ She was emphatic about it. “I didn’t know about it. “So, you left and you’ve come back?’’

“Yes. Mr. Agbaman later asked me to come back; that the basis of going there had been resolved. So, I just came back to Lagos not long ago.’’

“Oh, how stressful that must be. Sorry for all troubles.’’

He sighed. “There’s a text message I received when I was still there and it has been giving me a lot of concern?’’

“What message?’’

He paused slightly. “The message warned that I should stop my affairs with another man’s wife.’’

She paused to consider what he said. “Is that all?’’

Re: Less Than Nothing by aprilwise(m): 7:22pm On Feb 21, 2021
The most dangerous adventure is to sleep with another man wife.
Re: Less Than Nothing by SolaRaphael: 2:08am On Feb 25, 2021
Interesting
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 6:09pm On Feb 27, 2021
He paused slightly. “The message warned that I should stop my affairs with another man’s wife.’’
She paused to consider what he said. “Is that all?’’

What did she mean, is that all? Was that not enough? “That message is pregnant with meaning. It means somebody knows about our affairs, and that’s very dangerous.’’

There was another short pause. “Listen, Ola. Don’t allow any unfounded message to disturb you. If I were you, I will not worry my head for a second over a matter like that.’’

Ola could not believe his ears. How could she dismiss the message in that manner? Why was she taking everything so calmly?

To show that she did not think much of it, Moni went on to talk about other matters. Ola tried to sound alright, but he wasn’t really feeling as he feigned to be. Some minutes later when the conversation ended, another text message came in.

You are still holding the tiger by the tail. You need to know that you are working your way towards becoming less than nothing. You are warned.

That must be from the person that sent the other message. He compared the numbers and confirmed that they were the same. Frantically, he tried to call the number.

He got the same result as the number could not be reached.

Now, would could be sending these messages? Did it not mean that he was under watch? He suddenly gazed at his cell phone. Maybe, his line or Moni’s own was “tapped’’, and their conversations were monitored. Gosh, the situation was becoming serious.

Later that day, he resolved to take certain decisions. The first was that he would have to tell Moni that they should suspend the relationship. Yes, they would have to suspend it for the time being. As soon as things cooled off and there were no more suspicions, they would resume.

He would have to tell her the following morning in the office. He kept on having the feelings that Agbaman knew. This was not a good feeling at all.

Truly, in the following morning, as soon as Moni came inside the office, he went to meet her.

“Good morning, madam.’’ Once again, he had decided that he would have to be behaving formally anytime he was with her.

“Good morning, Ola.’’

The ‘Mister’ title was gone. Ola shrugged and smiled it off.

“Something came to my mind yesterday night and I have to tell you without further delay.’’

He did not even wait to sit down before he started talking.

She smiled. “Why don’t you sit down?’’

“Thank you.’’ He sat down and continued. “I seriously believe my movements or call are monitored. After I had spoken with you yesterday, I got yet another text message from the anonymous sender, stating that I was still holding the tiger by its tail; which means I was still threading on danger path. Now, this is getting serious if you ask me. At this point, I believe the best thing we should do is to suspend this our relationship.’’

Moni raised her right hand to stop him. “I don’t have time for jokes early this morning.’’

Jokes? Ola couldn’t believe his ears. Who was joking? Why would he be joking over a serious matter such as this?

“I’m not joking,’’ he said with gritted teeth. “Can’t you see that the warning from the text messages were for real?’’

“You’re raising your voice!’’ she reprimanded.

“Must you become rattled over a matter like this?”

Ola paused and tried to control his rising temper.

“I’m sorry about that. See, this matter is not what we should handle with kids’ gloves. I think the Chairman himself is suspicious about what’s going us between us. The air is ominous.’’

She shook her head. “You got it all wrong. I know Yomi very well. If he knows or suspects anything, he will not keep calm the way he has been keeping. We spoke some minutes ago on my way to the office about official matters. The Yomi I know will not keep cool if he suspects a thing.’’

Ola was exasperated. “Who then could be sending those messages?’’

“I’ve told you to forget about those messages. They mean nothing. Somebody is just trying to rattle you. Aren’t you a man? How could you allow something as trivial as that to disturb you?’’

1 Like

Re: Less Than Nothing by Awesome05: 11:35am On Feb 28, 2021
Nice update
Re: Less Than Nothing by FairCritic(m): 6:13am On Mar 03, 2021
Interesting
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 4:45pm On Mar 05, 2021
She shook her head. “You got it all wrong. I know Yomi very well. If he knows or suspects anything, he will not keep calm the way he has been keeping. We spoke some minutes ago on my way to the office about official matters. The Yomi I know will not keep cool if he suspects a thing.’’

Ola was exasperated. “Who then could be sending those messages?’’

“I’ve told you to forget about those messages. They mean nothing. Somebody is just trying to rattle you. Aren’t you a man? How could you
allow something as trivial as that to disturb you?’’

Ola nodded and tried to make himself be rest assured by her words. He tried to make himself believe that there was nothing to be disturbed
about.

Several hours later, he closed from work and drove home straight. He didn’t feel like going to the club or any recreational spot today. At home,
he remained in his bedroom, watching the television there. About few minutes to eight, Moni called his line.

“Hello, Ola,’’ she greeted.

“Hello, Madam Moni.’’

“Forget the madam stuff. Let’s meet at the hotel in thirty minutes’ time.’’

“Er, I …’’

“See you.’’

Before he could say anything further, she cut the line. Ola became indignant. It was quite right for her husband, Mr. Yomi Agbaman, to order him
around. That was very understandable. He would not, however, take it from Moni. She should not try it all.

He still thought about the fact that staying off from seeing each other for a while was the best. He was about to reiterate that to her, but she
went ahead to cut off the line. Shio!

He decided he would not go to the hotel. The risk was becoming just too high and there was need to cool things down. When Moni got to the
hotel and she didn’t see him, it would enter her pretty head that he meant what he had said.

About twenty minutes later, she called his line again.

“I’m already at the hotel. Where’re you?’’ she demanded.

“Just like I said,’’ he started to explain, “I believe we should stop seeing each other for a while.’’

“What!’’ she bellowed. “Are you saying that you’re indeed not coming?’’

“I’m afraid, I won’t, tonight.’’

There was a pause.

“Is that your final decision?’’

Ola grinned. The question reminded him of the days of watching “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?’’ when the presenter would ask the person on the hot seat if that was the final answer.

“Yes,’’ he said simply.

Without saying anything further. Moni disconnected the line. Good, he told himself. She should try to understand that there was need for this for
a while.

If Ola thought that was the end of the matter, he had made a mistake. The following morning, Moni came early to the office and “summoned’’
him as soon as she came in.

“Why didn’t you come as we agreed yesterday?’’ she demanded as soon as he stepped inside her office.

“Why do you keep on ignoring my suggestion?’’ he parried.

She moved to him. He didn’t see it coming. It was either that he never suspected she could do such a thing, or he simply could not conceive it.
Moni raised her right hand and gave him a hot slap on the face.

“What!’’ He held his left ear.

“Yes, and I will do so again. How dare you stand on our date!’’

He was brimming in anger, but he must contain his inner rage.

“Don’t ever do that again,’’ she said caustically. “How dare you! Now, get out of my office!’’

Dazed and thinking that he was watching a bizarre movie, he walked out of her office. Back in his office, he could simply not believe what had
happened. How dare her? How dare Moni raise her hand against him?

No woman had ever done that to him before. No one. He sat down but could not do anything. He was so consumed with anger. He could have
hit her back, yes, he could; but it was better he did not. She was going to pay for this in another way.

The direction of things was apparently what he never bargained for. Things must not continue to go this way. He should be in control of things.
He was still pensive some minutes later when there was a soft rapping at the door and it was opened.

It was Moni. Had she come to give him more slaps?

It was unlikely. The anger on her face was gone. Now, she looked almost penitent.

She walked slowly to the side of his seat.

“I’m sorry,’’ she mumbled.

Well, you had better be, he thought sardonically. How whimsical she could be! A couple of minutes ago, she was the aggressor who was venting
her anger. Now, she was totally defensive.

“It’s just that I felt so disappointed,’’ she went on.

He was still silent, still unsure of what to say.

“I love you,’’ she blurted out. “Can’t you understand that?”

He sighed and stood up to face her. It was like he did what she wanted him to do. She clung on to him. Feverishly, her lips found his and the kiss
was long.

“It’s okay, it’s okay,’’ he mumbled. “Apology accepted, but don’t do that again.’’

“No, I won’t.” She kissed him deep again. “I want you,’’ she said. Her lips returned to his and got stuck there.

“We …we are in the office,” he mumbled. “We …we can’t do anything here.”

“But I want you,” she said vehemently.

Ola was in a dilemma. He enjoyed the act, no doubt, but …

Re: Less Than Nothing by BigBasher: 10:57pm On Mar 08, 2021
Nice update.
Re: Less Than Nothing by tonysunkan: 9:02pm On Mar 11, 2021
Interesting
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 2:07pm On Mar 13, 2021
He sighed and stood up to face her. It was like he did what she wanted him to do. She clung on to him. Feverishly, her lips found his and the kiss was long.

“It’s okay, it’s okay,’’ he mumbled. “Apology accepted, but don’t do that again.’’

“No, I won’t.” She kissed him deep again. “I want you,’’ she said. Her lips returned to his and got stuck there.

“We …we are in the office,” he mumbled. “We …we can’t do anything here.”

“But I want you,” she said vehemently.

Ola was in a dilemma. He enjoyed the act, no doubt, but …

To his surprise, she started unbuttoning her blouse.

“Hey! You can’t do that!’’ he said in alarm.

“Why not?’’

She continued to unbutton the blouse and totally removed it. One look at her sexy and lacy white bra melted his heart. Maybe there would be no harm if they could do it quickly. He quickly went to his door and locked it. He knew he was threading on a dangerous path, but right now, he was beyond caring.

She pulled her skirt and pantie down. She then sat on the edge of his desk, spreading her legs.
“Come and suck, baby,” she cooed.

He grinned and sat on his seat. He only needed to bend over to reach to her pussy. With his tongue shooting out, he licked the vulva first before sucking at the clits. Moni closed her eyes as she held his head to her genitals.

“Suck …suck, baby,” she encouraged on.

Gladly, he went on to please her. He realized they didn’t have much time. He stopped to completely remove her pantie and skirt and to bring his cock from his trousers and boxer.

The organ was fully erect. He raised her left lap up even as she still sat on his desk. At this position, the penetration was easy. In zealousness, his cock entered her. He held her by the waist and gripped her to himself as he started the thrusts.

He must be fast about it, he told himself. He made the thrusts deep and fast. He had to muffle her moans with kisses. Didn’t she realize that they were in the office? Yes, she was enjoying it, but they must not throw caution to the wind. After about five minutes, he frenetically reached his climax.

Mercy watched the preview of a talk show and made some notes on a writing pad on her table. She was just a few days old on her new job, but she must say that she was enjoying the work tremendously. It was a dream come true. Her cell phone rang. It was from the number she had stored as CEO.

“Good morning, sir,’’ she greeted.

“Good morning, Mercy. How’s everything?’’

“All is well, sir.’’

“Can you see me in my office, right away?’’

Re: Less Than Nothing by ThrillPlus: 5:08am On Mar 15, 2021
Nice update
Re: Less Than Nothing by Ann2012(f): 12:32pm On Mar 15, 2021
Thanks for the update
Re: Less Than Nothing by UltimateSpice: 6:50am On Mar 18, 2021
Ride on
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 6:03pm On Mar 20, 2021
Mercy watched the preview of a talk show and made some notes on a writing pad on her table. She was just a few days old on her new job, but she must say that she was enjoying the work tremendously. It was a dream come true. Her cell phone rang. It was from the number she had stored as CEO.

“Good morning, sir,’’ she greeted.

“Good morning, Mercy. How’s everything?’’

“All is well, sir.’’

“Can you see me in my office, right away?’’

“Yes, sir. No problem, sir.’’

The line was disengaged. She stopped the video she was watching. For the CEO to call her, the matter must be important. She left her office to
his magnificent office. His secretary asked her to go inside without any ado.

“Hello, pretty lady,” he greeted, showing his white set of teeth in a smile.

“Good morning, sir.”

“Please, sit down.”

He seemed to be extra polite this morning. Mercy wondered what was in the offing.

“Thank you.” She sat opposite his desk and looked at him earnestly.

“Yes, I sent for you because there’s something important I want to tell you about. I’ll go straight to the point. First, I want to commend you for your performance so far since you joined us. The reports I got about you indicate that you’re doing very well.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Yes, you just keep it up. The second matter I want to discuss with you is very private.”

Private? She wondered how private that would be.

The smooth-talking man paused briefly before he continued. “I’ll go straight to the point. I like you, Mercy. I like your style and will desire an
affair with you. I’m talking about real romance. But, I’m not a fan of sexual harassment. As a matter of fact, I detest it. What I say is purely
personal and private, and is up to you. You’re very free to accept or reject it.”

Mercy chuckled and smiled. Was she surprised the man was saying this? No, she was not. As a matter of fact, she had long suspected and
expected this.

“You may not give your response now,” Mr. Austin Dada went on. “If you so desire, I can give you some days to think over it. You can just come
around to tell me your answer once you’re ready.”

Well, that was a surprise, wasn’t it? A man in his position would naturally not do that. Well, it was alright if that was the way he wanted it. She
too would play the role of a modest and reserved lady.

“Alright, sir. I’ll think over it.”

He nodded. “No problem.”

She smiled, stood up and went back to her office. She would dilly-dally for a couple of days before she would say what she had decided. What
would she tell him? Her mind went blank for some seconds. What else would she tell him? Yes, of course!

It was when Ola was preparing to close from work that an important text message came. It was from his regular sender. It read:

Now that you have dared the lion in its den, be ready for the consequence. How could the two of you descend so low as to do it in your office?

Ola’s heart skipped a beat. God, this matter was becoming very alarming. There was no doubt that somebody was watching her, or him, or both
of them! That person knew what was going on in the office and elsewhere. Gosh, this thing was for real.

There was no doubt that he was disturbed. Even as he was driven home in his official car, he could not help thinking about the potential danger
that laid ahead. He just had to do something about this. Why was it that Moni could not properly discern the danger and agree with him that
they needed to stay off for now? Why was …?

But he knew the answer already. Moni was not acting ordinarily. She was doing what she was doing because she was under some influence. The
influence had favored him a lot, but now, it was becoming a danger. As things were, he just had to do something.

His mind went to Baba Elewenje. It appeared the medicine was ‘over working.’ Was there a way he could reduce the potency of the medicine?
Ola’s mind suddenly struck an idea. Gosh, why hadn’t he thought of the idea before? He would have to see the old man as soon as possible.

He decided he would go and see the Baba that very day. All the same, he would rather not go in the official car or with the driver. There were
‘spies’ around him and he would not trust anyone for now. At Ogba Bus Stop, he asked the driver to stop the car.

“You can go home from here,” he told the man. “I’ll take over the wheel.”

“Yes, sir,” the driver replied. “Good night, sir.”

“Good night.”

Ola took over the steering wheel. He decided he would drive straight to Ota to see the man. There was no need he wasted time on a matter as urgent as this. He put a call across to the man.

“Hello, Baba. I’m on my way to your place to see you.”

“No problem, Ola. I’m not at home right now, but in the next twenty minutes or so, I will be.’

“Ah, that will be alright, Baba. I’m still in Lagos and may not get there until about an hour’s time.’

“Alright. See you.”

Close to an hour later, Ola was in the house of the man.

“Ola, my son,” the old man greeted in his characteristic manner. “You’re welcome.”

“Thank you, Baba. I know you must have suspected that something very important must have brought me here.”

The old nodded. “Yes, I know that.”

Ola sighed. “Baba, it’s about the woman you helped me to win her love.”

“What about her? Don’t tell me you need to make the love stronger.”

Ola shook his head vigorously. “Not at all, Baba. As a matter of fact, what I came for is the opposite of that. I came to ask you how you can
reduce the potency of that medicine.”

Re: Less Than Nothing by Ann2012(f): 3:18pm On Mar 21, 2021
Thanks for the update
Re: Less Than Nothing by aprilwise(m): 5:49pm On Mar 21, 2021
What’s sweet also kills
Re: Less Than Nothing by Jagaban880: 5:46pm On Mar 22, 2021
Interesting and captivating piece op

Nice1
update ooo
Re: Less Than Nothing by Awesome05: 11:39am On Mar 28, 2021
Ride on.
Re: Less Than Nothing by Zamar: 6:09am On Apr 01, 2021
Waiting for more.
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 1:46pm On Apr 04, 2021
Ola sighed. “Baba, it’s about the woman you helped me to win her love.”

“What about her? Don’t tell me you need to make the love stronger.”

Ola shook his head vigorously. “Not at all, Baba. As a matter of fact, what I came for is the opposite of that. I came to ask you how you can reduce the potency of that medicine.”

“Which medicine?”

Ola sighed again. “The love medicine you made concerning that lady. She’s becoming reckless and this is dangerous. I think her husband or someone knows what’s going on between us. I’ve already received some text messages warning to stop the affairs with her.

Can you just reduce the potency so that she’ll agree with me to suspend the relationship for some time?’

“Eewo. Agbedo! That one is not possible!”

Ola’s heart sank. “But why? Why can’t …?”

The old man did not let him finish. “No one can stop that potency unless the medicine wears itself out. No one and nothing. Even if you drop dead now, she will love your dead body.”

Ola grimaced morbidly. “Is it as serious as that?’

“Yes. You have to keep on reciprocating her love and you must make the best of it. Enjoy yourself.”

Ola had come to the end of the road in trying to make the Baba do something about it. He stood up. “Thank you, Baba, for your time.”

As usual, he dipped his hand in his pocket and brought out several currency notes.

“Here, have this sir.”

“Oh, you shouldn’t bother yourself with giving me something again. You’ve given me enough.” All the same, his right hand was outstretched as he received the money. “Thank you very much my son.”

“Thank you, sir. Good bye.”

While he drove away from the place, his mind remained troubled. Something had to be done! His mind screamed at him. He just had to do something.

But what could he do? His mind was busy. After some moments, his mind hit an idea he hoped would turn to the best. He remembered the initial agreement he had with Moni. She had propositioned that he should eliminate Yomi.

Would that not be the solution to this problem? Would he not be free from danger once Yomi was eliminated?

In his mind, he considered the option of how this could be done one by one, just as he had fancifully done at a time. Sending hired killers would be very difficult as the man’s schedules were unpredictable and he had security around him.

All the same, that angle could be explored.

Another option was poisoning him. Again, he knew that the option could only be carried out through someone very close to Yomi. His mind stopped abruptly. Wait a minute, was Moni not close to him? Couldn’t she discretely do this as they dined or wined together?

That was it! The best person that could do it was Moni. Ola would have to tell her to do it for not just her sake but theirs. Now that she was crazily in ‘love with him’, she would most likely agree to do it. That was the solution!

Ola suddenly grinned to himself and relaxed. He would have to see a pharmacist friend to get the best drug that could do the killing without leaving a trace of suspicion. Yes, he would do that. But he would have to be very careful.

How he would tell Moni was a challenge. Where to do so was also a challenge. He knew that the office or the complex was the last place he should try any such thing. Ah, walls have ears, as people say.

It would have to be somewhere safe. And, he must get the deadly stuff without delay.

1 Like

Re: Less Than Nothing by BigBasher: 6:44am On Apr 08, 2021
Nice update
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 8:10am On Apr 18, 2021
Ola suddenly grinned to himself and relaxed. He would have to see a pharmacist friend to get the best drug that could do the killing without leaving a trace of suspicion.

Yes, he would do that. But he would have to be very careful. How he would tell Moni was a challenge. Where to do so was also a challenge.

He knew that the office or the complex was the last place he should try any such thing. Ah, walls have ears, as people say.

It would have to be somewhere safe. And, he must get the deadly stuff without delay.

By the following morning, Ola was ready with the stuff he needed to carry out his sinister intent.

He had seen his pharmacist friend and was able to get a powder that contained mixture of ricin and other poisonous substance. He had been told that a dose of as little as 0.2 milligram of the drug could be very fatal. It would affect the immune system.

Victim would suffer from infections that would lead to death. The stuff would work by getting inside the cells of the person and prevent them from making the proteins the body very much needed.

The person would experience vomiting and diarrhea that would be bloody. These would lead to dehydration, low blood pressure and seizures. Ultimately, the liver, spleen and the kidney would stop working. Death was expected within few days.

“The stuff is colorless and odorless when mixed with consumable substance,” Ola was told.

He had nodded, paid for it, thanked his friend and left. Now, this morning, he was ready to discuss the issue with Moni and to urge her not to waste time in carrying out the act.

By ten a.m., Moni was yet to come to the office. He went to ask her secretary when she would be coming.

“She went for a meeting on Broad Street,” the secretary explained.

He would have to be patient. The wait made him become apprehensive. She did not come to the office until after two o’clock. He gave her some minutes before he went to meet her.

“How was your day?” he asked as a way of greeting.

She smiled up at him. “Fine. How about you?”

He nodded. “All is well. We thank God.”

“You look radiant. Any good news?”

Did he really look radiant? He smiled at her compliment all the same. But the real good news would be if he had her without anyone breathing down on his neck.

“I’ve got a solution to our problem,” he stated.

She looked up at him enquiringly.

“I’m talking about the king that must be eliminated.” His voice dropped to conspiratorial whispers. “See, I’ve got the stuff that will do the work.

The effect will not be immediate, but it works like magic. He will develop illness and the end will come in a matter of days. That is all.”

Her eyes glistened in excitement. “Is that all? How will it work?”

He brought a small brown envelope from his right inside pocket. Inside the envelope was a small polythene wrap that contained the drug.

“Here it is. I’ve been told it has very powerful potency. It is odorless and does not show any color when it is used. All that is needed to be done is to mix it in his food or drinks. Once he takes it, that is all. As I said, the reaction will not be immediate, but it will surely come.”

Moni eyed what he was holding as if it was the angel of death itself.

“You will have to be the one to do it,” he said.
She cringed back. “What?”

Re: Less Than Nothing by BigBasher: 10:32pm On Apr 19, 2021
Nice one.
Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 2:45pm On Apr 24, 2021
He brought a small brown envelope from his right inside pocket. Inside the envelope was a small polythene wrap that contained the drug.

“Here it is. I’ve been told it has very powerful potency. It is odorless and does not show any color when it is used. All that is needed to be done is to mix it in his food or drinks. Once he takes it, that is all. As I said, the reaction will not be immediate, but it will surely come.”

Moni eyed what he was holding as if it was the angel of death itself.

“You will have to be the one to do it,” he said.
She cringed back. “What?”

He nodded emphatically. “Yes, you’re the one who has the best chance to do it. You’ll be doing it for us: you’ll be doing it for yourself and for me.

Don’t you want us to be free from his over bearing posture? Don’t you want us to remove the encumbrance and be with the real man you love?”

She stared without saying a word.

“The best time to do it is now,” he continued in the same tone. “Once this is done, it is freedom for you and me forever.”

As soon as she returned to her office, Mercy decided to call Mr. Austin Dada first.

“Good afternoon, sir.”

“Good afternoon, Mercy. How’re you today?”

“Fine, sir. I’ve decided that I will give my response to what you said the other time.”

“Oh, that’s good. You will have to come to my office right away.”

“Okay, sir.”

She grinned at herself as she left the office. When she got to his office, she had to wait briefly in his secretary’s office so that he could attend to some visitors that were with him. Some minutes later, she went inside his office.

“Sorry to have kept you waiting,” he said.

“Oh, it’s okay.”

“Please, sit down.”

She sat and crossed her legs.

“So, what news have you got for me?” he asked her.

She smiled, thinking what if she said no? What if she told him that as a married man, he should be contended with his wife? Well, Mercy would certainly not say any of these.

“My answer is yes,” she said simply.

It was his turn to beam in smile. “Smart decision,” he said as if she had suddenly passed a very important test.

“I didn’t expect anything else. That was very smart of you.” He rose to his feet. “Come on. Come and give me a big hug.”

She willingly obliged him. Now, come to think of it. Still in his mid-forties, Austin Dada was certainly not bad looking. Besides, he was rich. What would Mercy lose by having an affair with him?

The hug was quite longer than necessary, but it didn’t go beyond a hug.

“You won’t regret it,” he said. “You’ll say that I told you so.”

She nodded. “I hope so.”

“Hope? We’ve got past that stage. We’re at the stage we’re you’ve crossed the red sea, gone beyond the wilderness, and you’re at the promised land.”

Mercy laughed softly at his joke. So, this man could be facetious like this.

“Yes, it’s a promise. I, Mr. Famous has spoken.”

She was bemused. “Mr. Famous?”

Re: Less Than Nothing by Awesome05: 9:02am On Apr 25, 2021
Nice one.
Re: Less Than Nothing by BigBasher: 7:59am On May 02, 2021
Interesting

1 Like

Re: Less Than Nothing by SeyiDominion: 2:12pm On May 30, 2021
She nodded. “I hope so.”

“Hope? We’ve got past that stage. We’re at the stage we’re you’ve crossed the red sea, gone beyond the wilderness, and you’re at the promised land.”

Mercy laughed softly at his joke. So, this man could be facetious like this.

“Yes, it’s a promise. I, Mr. Famous has spoken.”

She was bemused. “Mr. Famous?”

“Yes, that was the name they used to call me in my undergraduate days.”

“That’s lovely. So, can I be calling you Mr. Famous?”

“Sure. You’re welcome.”

Moni’s secretary sent for madam’s driver to come and carry her briefcase, as usual. It was closing time and she was about to leave the office. She went to the elevator and took it to the ground floor.

While the driver maneuvered the car, she was thoughtful on her seat. The stuff Ola had given her was in her bag. It was something she would not discard.

When she got to the mansion residence, she went straight to her room upstairs to change her dress. Her choice of sleep wear, as usual, was exotic.

She asked the maid to prepare a light food for herself and Yomi, since he had said he would be coming tonight. She would not wait for him before she took her meal. He would take his when he came.

She returned to the bedroom. The large flat screen in the room was on but was scarcely paying attention. She sat on the sofa briefly but soon went to the in-built bar.

She brought a bottle of brandy out. It was his favorite and she was sure he would not resist taking it. She uncorked it, poured part of it in a glass cup and mixed the powder she had been given with the remaining one in the bottle. She shook the bottle so that the contents would be properly mixed.

She would leave the one she had poured into her glass and the bottle on the stool. The impression she would create was that she was drinking before he came in. Then, she would get a glass cup for him and poured some drinks for him.

That would be the gimmick.

Moni smiled to herself. She hoped the plan would work out and she would indeed get rid of him. If everything succeeded, she had no doubt that she would be the heiress to his business empire. And of course, she would be free to do whatever she wanted to do with her life.

Her cell phone rang. It was Yomi on the line.
“Hello, my darling,” he said.

“Hello dear. Are you on your way here?’

“No. I need to see a doctor urgently.”

She caught her breath. “What!”

“Yes. I’m not feeling very well and I need to see my doctor immediately.”

He made what sounded like a chuckle. “It’s one of those things.”

“Oh,” she sounded deflated. “I hope it’s not serious.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll be alright. This is just to let you know that I’ll not be coming home to your place tonight.”

Was it because he wanted to see a doctor that he would not be coming? He sounded hearty. Could he have another reason for not wanting to come? All the same, she decided not to make her thoughts known to him.

“Okay, please take care of yourself, honey,” she said.

“I will. Take care of yourself too. Bye.”

He cut the line. Moni was angry he would not be coming tonight. But no problem, she would carry out her plan any other time he came around.

Less Than Nothing:
https://okadabooks.com/book/about/less_than_nothing/37142

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Adesewa / Why Do Ladies Like To Read Romance Novels? / The Children Of Thunder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.