Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,594,259 members, 6,017,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 November 2020 at 10:19 PM

Less Than Nothing (18+) - Romance (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Less Than Nothing (18+) (5509 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by SeyiDominion: 5:57pm On Oct 31
She nodded. “That will be no problem.’’

“There’s one more thing,’’ he put in. “I can tell you authoritatively that the board has decided that you’ll be the next deputy editor.’’

Mercy was not surprised to hear that. Since Ms. Ikomi got a new – better – appointment, Chima had been operating without a deputy. She was happy to be considered for the position. It showed that someone knew her value.

“That will be lovely,’’ she replied.

“I’m sure by next Monday, latest, you’ll get a letter to that effect. Alright, that will be all for now.’’

She smiled again and stood up. “Okay, Chima. Thanks.’’

“You’re welcome.’’

She returned to her office and opened her i-Pad. Few minutes later, she was still browsing when her cell phone rang. This time around, it was from unknown number.

“Hello,’’ she said.

“Hello, good day.’’ It was a mature man’s voice.

“Am I on to Mercy?’’

“Yes. Who’s on the line, please?’’

“I’m Austin Dada, the CEO of Thrills Television.’’

“Ah, good day, sir.’’ She had heard about the man. As a fact, she had seen him on some occasions, but always at a distance. Now, what could be the reason behind Mr. Dada’s call?

“It’s an honor to receive a call from you, sir.’’

“No, the pleasure is mine. I call you for two purposes. The first is to tell you that I enjoy reading your incisive and detailed news stories and columns in Stars.’’

She felt pleased. “Thank you so much, sir. I’m honored.’’

And what was the second?

“You’re welcome. Secondly, I’ll like to have some discussions with you. If you don’t mind, can you make it to Thrills Television by twelve noon tomorrow?’’

She quickly thought over this. Yes, she could. “There’ll be no problem, sir.’’

“Good. You know our office? It’s along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. I’ll be expecting you.’’

“I know the place.’’

“Alright. See you.’’

The line was disconnected. Mercy sighed, wondering why the CEO of a foremost infotainment news channel would want to see her.

Early in the following morning, Ola was at his desk. His love life apart, he was always zealous about work and would not joke with it. He was still busy as at nine in the morning when Moni used the intercom to invite him to her office.

He stopped what he was doing to attend to her.
As usual, he was in a trendy suit that he knew complimented his looks. He knocked once on her door before entering her expansive office.

“Good morning, Madam Moni.’’

“Good morning, Mr. Ola Johnson. How’re you this morning?’’

He smiled and nodded. “I’m fine. How about you?’’

She nodded. “Fine too. Please, sit down.’’

“Thanks.’’

He sat down and looked about the office. It was an exquisite office that smelt nice. What a lucky lady she was.
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by FairCritic(m): 7:03am On Nov 01
Nice update
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by ThrillPlus: 8:02pm On Nov 01
Nice one
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by FairCritic(m): 2:40am On Nov 03
Waiting for more
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by SeyiDominion: 8:50pm On Nov 04
He smiled and nodded. “I’m fine. How about you?’’

She nodded. “Fine too. Please, sit down.’’

“Thanks.’’

He sat down and looked about the office. It was an exquisite office that smelt nice. What a lucky lady she was.

“Yes, I called you for private matter. I felt there’s no need I waste time, based on what I’’ve seen so far.’’

He nodded. “Well, I’m all ears.’’

She nodded too. “The first thing I will like to know is to demand that you should assert yourself as to why you were acting the way you’ve been
acting in the last few days.’’

He grinned. Was that why she called him? Well, his actions had spoken better than words, had they not?

She saw him hesitate. “Okay, let me say this,’’ she prompted. “From what I could see, a man is trying to woo the heart of a queen. Is that correct?’’

He nodded. “That’s correct.’’

“The man in question has made the overtures to the lady, and from her responses, she has been encouraging him.’’

Again, he nodded.

“Now, let me say this, and let me say it emphatically. The man can actually win the heart of the queen, but it will not be easy. The fact is the
queen presently has a king that occupies her heart. For the man to win her heart, the present occupier must be dislodged. Is that not a tenable
reason?’’

Ola shifted on his seat. “It is agreeable,’’ he said.

“Good. I’m happy that you’re following keenly. Now, hear this fact. The only way the prospective lover can win the heart of the queen is to
completely dislodge the present occupier. By that, I mean that the occupier must be eliminated.’’

He stared at her. Was he hearing correctly? What was she really saying?

“I don’t understand,’’ he muttered.

“There’s nothing difficult to understand in this. The occupier is a king, and two kings cannot occupy the palace at the same time. One has to go
for another.’’

Ola opened his mouth but no words came out. After some seconds, he was finally able to speak. “If I may get you right, what you’re suggesting
is that …’’

Moni did not allow him to finish. “I’m not suggesting anything. What I’m saying categorically is that there can’t be two occupiers at a time and one will completely have to go for another one. I don’t know how you will do it. You will have to be the one to devise that. Your acceptance of it will show that you’re really serious about your intents.’’

She stared intently into his eyes. “I will give you three days to give me the answer if you will go ahead and do it or not. Just three days. If at the end of the three days, I didn’t hear anything from you, I will take it that you have descended from the prospective king to a knave. That will be no problem. Thank you for your time, Mr. Ola Johnson.’’

It was the end of the discussion. He stood up slowly.

Less Than Nothing: https://okadabooks.com/book/about/less_than_nothing/37142
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by FairCritic(m): 10:05am On Nov 07
Interesting
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by FairCritic(m): 6:14pm On Nov 08
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by SeyiDominion: 5:58am On Nov 09
She stared intently into his eyes. “I will give you three days to give me the answer if you will go ahead and do it or not. Just three days. If at the end of the three days, I didn’t hear anything from you, I will take it that you have descended from the prospective king to a knave. That will be no problem. Thank you for your time, Mr. Ola Johnson.’’

It was the end of the discussion. He stood up slowly.

“Thank you, Madam Moni.’’

“Thanks for your time,’’ she returned.

He left her office and returned to his. There, he sat and thought over what she had said. Was she really serious with what she had said, or was just saying that to know what would be his reaction? If she was serious, then the matter was a grave one. For God’s sake, she was asking him to take the life of her husband! What an infamy! That was callous, wasn’t it?

The cab Mercy had rented pulled up at the massive gates of Thrills Television. Mercy paid the fare and stepped out of it. It was a bright and sunny day. She put on her sun glasses and checked her watch for the time. It was about twenty minutes to noon. Well, there was no crime in coming early for her appointment.

At the gate, the security men wanted to know if she had appointment or not.

“I do. Mr. Dada asked me to see him by mid-day.’’

The intercom was engaged to confirm if indeed a lady by the name Mercy Buraimoh had appointment to see the CEO. The affirmation was
given and she was asked to fill the visitors’’ book. With the visitors’’ tag on her blouse, she moved to the big reception. There, she had to wait a
bit before she was asked to go the office of the secretary to the CEO.

Mercy had to wait for another before she was ushered into his office. The office was large and exquisite. With the way two cameras were
positioned, it looked more like a studio; or an office where film recording was going on.

“Here comes our star lady,’’ Dada said.

Mercy smiled. “Thank you, sir. Good morning, sir.’’

“Good morning, Mercy. Have your seat.’’

“Thank you, sir.’’

She sat down.

“Let me go straight to the point,’’ he said. “The main reason for asking you to come over is to let you know I have an offer for you. As I said on
the cell phone yesterday, I’m a fan of yours and I’ve always liked your columns. I like the professionalism and efficiency you display. Now, I want
you to come over and work for us here in Thrills.’’

Mercy blinked rapidly. Work for the tube? That was her initial dream. When she was an undergraduate of Mass Communication, the dream was
to be a newscaster or a show presenter. Now, that dream appeared to be coming to pass.

“I will like you to be part of the new programs we would be airing soon. If you don’t mind joining us, then you can collect your letter of
appointment even before you go today. The letter is already typed. But then, you have the choice. It is about what you want. Are you with me?’’

She didn’t know if that question meant if she was if she would be joining them at the television station. Whatever it meant, her answer would be
yes.

“Yes, I’m with you, sir.’’

“Good. Will you accept the proposition or you will like to think about it?’’

Think about it? No, sir. She had already thought about it.

“I accept the proposition, sir.’’

Austin Dada smiled and nodded. “Good. I can assure you that the terms that we’re offering you are better than your present terms. The letter of
employment says you are to resume next week Monday. The few days you have between now and then are to allow you to tidy up things over
there.’’

He stood up and extended his hand for a handshake.

Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by FairCritic(m): 5:12pm On Nov 09
Nice update.
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by Zamar(m): 6:50am On Nov 10
Interesting.
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by BigBasher: 12:58am On Nov 11
Cool one
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by SeyiDominion: 2:32am On Nov 12
Austin Dada smiled and nodded. “Good. I can assure you that the terms that we’re offering you are better than your present terms. The letter of employment says you are to resume next week Monday. The few days you have between now and then are to allow you to tidy up things over there.’’

He stood up and extended his hand for a handshake.

“Congrats, Miss Mercy. I’m sure you’ll be an asset to us here.’’

“Thank you, sir.’’

It was the end of the encounter with the impressive man.

“Meet my secretary to get your letter of employment.’’

She nodded. “Thank you, sir.’’ She left his office. Just as he had said, the letter was already typed and ready. She got the letter, signed the
duplicate and left. She would not read the letter yet. She exited the building and went to the expressway. This time around, she could not get a
cab, so she took a commercial bus.

Several minutes later, she was back to her office at Stars. It was then she opened her bag to read the letter. The offers were mouth-watering.
They doubled what she currently earned. She smiled to herself. Would she be taking the offer? What a question. Of course, she would. Who in his or her right sense would reject such an offer? She would miss Chima, and the others, no doubt; but this matter went beyond acquaintanceship and friendship.

After closing at work, Ola drove straight to the club to refresh himself from the day’s work. He ordered for brandy and barbecue. As he took his drinks and the delicacy, he thought over the activities he had in the day. What an eventful day it was. The bizarre aspect of it all was what Moni said. He still wondered if she meant it or was just plying a bloody joke.

From Moni, his mind went to Mercy. She decided to call her.

“Hello, Mercy. Are you not coming over to the club?’’

“I’m sorry I’m far away on the island right now. What about tomorrow?’’

He sighed. “Alright. See you tomorrow, then.’’

It was disappointing anytime she said she would not be able to come around. Ola continued with his refreshments. Later, he played snooker
game until few minutes to nine when he decided to leave the club.

Much later that night, as he lay in bed, he was pensive. He finally resolved that he would have to confront Moni and asked her if she meant what she said or not. If she did, then he would have to do something very important: he would make her swear to an oath that whatever transpired between them must be and remain a secret.

Yes, that would be the right thing to do. His mind faltered. What if she was trying to set him up? What if this was a ploy to make him agree to dirty deal in which he would be the fall guy?

He shrugged. The swearing part should take care of that. The foremost important thing that he should do was to extract seriousness and commitment from her.

Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by BigBasher: 6:15am On Nov 12
Thanks for the update
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by UltimateSpice: 2:31am On Nov 13
Nice update
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by FairCritic(m): 5:22am On Nov 14
Nice one.
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by ThrillPlus: 1:07pm On Nov 14
Cool
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by Saturn101: 5:51pm On Nov 15
Nice work
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by SeyiDominion: 3:40am On Nov 19
It was disappointing anytime she said she would not be able to come around. Ola continued with his refreshments. Later, he played snooker game until few minutes to nine when he decided to leave the club.

Much later that night, as he lay in bed, he was pensive. He finally resolved that he would have to confront Moni and asked her if she meant what she said or not. If she did, then he would have to do something very important: he would make her swear to an oath that whatever transpired between them must be and remain a secret.

Yes, that would be the right thing to do. His mind faltered. What if she was trying to set him up? What if this was a ploy to make him agree to dirty deal in which he would be the fall guy?

He shrugged. The swearing part should take care of that. The foremost important thing that he should do was to extract seriousness and commitment from her.

The following morning, as soon as Ola heard that she had come to the office, he went to meet her.

“Good morning, Madam.’’ He took one more look at her and smiled. “I must say you’re really looking gorgeous this morning.’’

She smiled radiantly. “Thank you.’’

Even before she offered him seat, he sat down.

“It’s like you have something on your mind this morning,’’ she said.

He nodded. “Yes, and it has to do with what we discussed yesterday.’’

She looked at him intently. “What do you have to say?’’

He allowed a moment of silence. “Let us just say I’m yet to be certain that you’re serious. Are you really serious about what you said?’’

She shook her head in amazement. “Wonderful. How could you say this? How could you still doubt the seriousness? Will someone be joking
with a matter as serious as that?’’

“Alright. Let me assume that you’re serious. How could I be sure that you’re not setting me up? Two, how can I be certain that once the deed is done, I will truly occupy your heart?’’

“I don’t say things that I don’t mean. I can assure you that you will surely have my heart once you succeed in the important task you were given.’’

There were seconds of silence.

“Pardon me,’’ he said. “But for me to take you really serious, can the two of us swear to an oath on this? Can we swear to secrecy, confidentiality
and non-betrayal of trust?’’

She stared at him and suddenly laughed. Had he said anything funny?

“Well, if swearing to an oath is what we make you believe I’m serious, then let’s do just that.’’

He suddenly relaxed and smiled. Now, he could see that she was serious.

“There’s a juju man I know who has powerful charms. I’ll tell him about this and he administer the oath.’’

Moni agreed. “No problem, but he would come and do it here.’’

Ola too agreed. “I’ll contact him today. By tomorrow morning, he will most likely come around to do the swearing.’’

“Alright.’’

That settled it, he felt and smiled. At the close of work, he drove to Ota to consult with a powerful juju man known as Baba Elewenje. He had
consulted the man in the past and he believed he was instrumental to his progress in life.

The man was in his early sixties but did not believe in the stereotype ways people like him behaved. For example, he lived in a modern house –
his own house. He also drove a car and used a hand cell phone. He was what one could describe as contemporary juju man.

“Welcome, Ola my son,’’ Baba Elewenje greeted him warmly. “From the way your face is shining, I can see that life is really treating you well, and
I’m happy about it.’’

“Thank you, Baba. Thank you so much. I’ve come to see you on something very important.’’

The man nodded. “Yes, say it. You have come to the right place.’’

Ola nodded. “Yes, Baba. I will be needing your service in my office tomorrow morning. There is this woman that I’m involved in certain business
with. It’s a serious matter and there’s need for us to swear to an oath. She won’t be able to make it here, so I will need you to come over to the
place to effect the swearing.’’

“Oh, is that all? I thought you’ve come for something much more serious. That’s no problem at all.’’

“That is not all. There’s another thing I will like you to do and I’m very much ready to pay for it.’’

“What’s that?’’

Ola paused to look around the man’s parlor as if to assure that no one was eavesdropping. “Baba, I want you to a love portion on the lady. I
want her to love me such that she will do whatever I ask her to do.’’

Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by FairCritic(m): 6:58am On Nov 19
Nice update
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by aprilwise(m): 7:32am On Nov 19
Ola is a sharp guy asking for extra . Thanks for the update
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by SolaRaphael: 12:50am On Nov 20
Nice update
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by UltimateSpice: 4:56am On Nov 21
Interesting story
Re: Less Than Nothing (18+) by ThrillPlus: 6:16pm On Nov 22
Cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Fiancee Raped By Her Aunty's Husband / How To Bring A SHY Guy Out Of His Shell / Pic-why Do Ladies Posture Themselves Like This When Taking Picture

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.