Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,842 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? (10515 Views)

Poll: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree?

yes: 43% (76 votes)
no: 48% (86 votes)
maybe/notsure: 7% (14 votes)
This poll has ended

Melbourne Is Most Livable City In The World! / Nigerians Living In Melbourne (most Livable City In The World). / Accra - 2nd Most Livable City In Africa (2) (3) (4)

Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by aloyemeka1: 5:55am On Feb 27, 2011
Saturday, February 26, 2011
[size=14pt]Lagos ranked 4th worst livable city in the world 2011[/size]

A report released February 21, 2011 by The Economist Intelligence Unit, have ranked Lagos as the 4th worst city to live in the world. Lagos ranked 137 out of the 140 most livable cities in the world.

The ranking was based on health care, culture, infrastructure, environment, and stability. Lagos was rated 39.0 overall. Lagos scored 48.2 in infrastructure, 25 in stability, 52.3 in culture.

Zimbabwe's capital, Harare, was ranked the worst place to live in the world due to high rates of crime, violence, war, while Vancouver in Canada and Melbourne in Australia were number one and two respectively on the list of most liveable cities in the world.

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/02/lagos-ranked-4th-worst-livable-city-in.html
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Obiagu1(m): 5:58am On Feb 27, 2011
Lagos is only livable to pigs!

I've warned my friend that wants to waste his N30 million to buy a property in Lekki to think twice.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by efisher(m): 7:24am On Feb 27, 2011
^^ That statement is too irrational. You should reconsider it. Also, if your friend got a good deal, by the time you know what's happening, he would have made twice the 30 million he invested. Shine your eyes. Lagos definitely has challenges but it is a gold mine if you know your way.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by EzeUche2(m): 7:36am On Feb 27, 2011
The best livable cities in Nigeria are:

Abuja
Enugu
Calabar

The worst livable cities in Nigeria are:

Lagos
Aba
Jos
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Beaf: 7:46am On Feb 27, 2011
Yes, Lagos is a challenging place and people can be quite aggressive, even the elderly!
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by NnamdiN: 8:36am On Feb 27, 2011
EzeUche_:

The best livable cities in Nigeria are:

Uyo cool
Abuja
Enugu
Calabar

The worst livable cities in Nigeria are:

Lagos
Aba
-shuda bin d worst
Jos

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Onlytruth(m): 8:58am On Feb 27, 2011
Self evident.
How do humans manage to live in that city?

I basically pass through, and when they finish Enugu airport, I'll stop passing through.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by ekubear1: 9:25am On Feb 27, 2011
So they surveyed 140 cities in total. Wish I knew which cities were on it. . . but sort of unwilling to pay the $500 to access the full report.

I wonder if they even looked at any other cities in Nigeria. I doubt any but Abuja would have fared better.

Anyway, here is an overview: http://www.eiu.com/Handlers/WhitepaperHandler.ashx?fi=Liveability_rankings_Promotional_PDF_V02.pdf&mode=wp

Seems to me that most cities in Nigeria likely will do even worse on these metrics (stability, healthcare, culture & environment, education infrastructure) than Lagos.

Anyway, we definitely have got a long way to go in Lagos. No question about that.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Beaf: 9:32am On Feb 27, 2011
eku_bear:

So they surveyed 140 cities in total. Wish I knew which cities were on it. . . but sort of unwilling to pay the $500 to access the full report.

I wonder if they even looked at any other cities in Nigeria. I doubt any but Abuja would have fared better.

Anyway, here is an overview: http://www.eiu.com/Handlers/WhitepaperHandler.ashx?fi=Liveability_rankings_Promotional_PDF_V02.pdf&mode=wp

Seems to me that most cities in Nigeria likely will do even worse on these metrics (stability, healthcare, culture & environment, education infrastructure) than Lagos.

Anyway, we definitely have got a long way to go in Lagos. No question about that.

Most of Delta state beats Lagos hands down on every one of those metrics. The only arguable area is stability.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Nobody: 9:36am On Feb 27, 2011
To be honest, I wouldnt live in Lagos.
I stayed in Lagos for a week during my vacation, words couldnt describe how happy I was finally get to Ekiti state.
Imagine suffocating with 50 other peeps in a bus made for 10 ppl angry Each person trying to sell their own fake Aba-made products grin

I never knew Holyghost water mixed with Blessing-of-God could be sold in a plastic bottle till I went to Lagos.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by ekubear1: 9:42am On Feb 27, 2011
Beaf:

Most of Delta state beats Lagos hands down on every one of those metrics. The only arguable area is stability.

That is part of why I'd like to see whether any of these other naija cities are on the list.

Always good to have objective, 3rd party commentary on how you (or your cities) are doing.

I wonder though; you'd think that the large influx of people into Lagos suggests that it is at least superior to most of its competitors in West Africa. After all, people are voting with their feet.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Justcash(m): 9:43am On Feb 27, 2011
I think the comparison was made based on mega cities.
Yes, Lagos is in a horrible state. Fashola is trying, but unfortunately, it will take many more years of persistent development for Lagos to Change.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by GAR3TH(m): 9:44am On Feb 27, 2011
their are over 3000+ cities in the world with a population of 100,000 or more. But only 140 of those 3000+ were surveyed? and from that lame survey they concluded that Lagos is the forth worst in the world LMAo0o0o00o00o0o0o. When you only survey less than 1% of the cities in the world, you shouldn't title your report "Livable City In The WORLD 2011"

source ; 3000+ city w/ 100,000+ pop:

http://www.mongabay.com/cities_urban_01.htm
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Beaf: 9:52am On Feb 27, 2011
eku_bear:

That is part of why I'd like to see whether any of these other naija cities are on the list.

Always good to have objective, 3rd party commentary on how you (or your cities) are doing.

I wonder though; you'd think that the large influx of people into Lagos suggests that it is at least superior to most of its competitors in West Africa. After all, people are voting with their feet.

Warri (our biggest town) is like 1.5 million or so, it can't yet be classed as a megacity like Lagos. We be tiny!
People go to Lagos because there's a big market, things cost more, there's a huge population and everybody wants a piece of that.

I haven't been to Calabar (shame), but from what I've seen, read and heard, its Nigeria's best city by some margin.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by ekubear1: 10:04am On Feb 27, 2011
1.5 million is a pretty big city.

Yeah I've heard swell things about Calabar too.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by phantom(m): 10:12am On Feb 27, 2011
surprised it aint number one.best cities to live in in nigeria are 1.abj 2.calabar 3.enugu 4.owerri .best cities in nigeria to hustle in but not live in 1.lag 2.PH 3.aba 4.onitsha
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Rhino5dm: 10:14am On Feb 27, 2011
Some part of Lagos really sucks. Kai imagine 11 people living in single room with a pit latrine and a half covered, semi-corroded bathroom.
What is more appaling is the way people troop in everyday en mass. Fash more grease to your elbow. Eko o ni baje o!

Abuja, Calabar,Akwa Ibom(projects at exubitant cost),Kaduna,Imo. Most preferred.

Jos. No go area(Tora bora), plenty blood sucking nuts!

Rivers. Rotimi you are da bomb!(but alot need to done)

North East. Very volotile(Enter with your machine loaded)

Benue,Kogi. you cant reject thier girls.

Borno. Review your will, you are likely not to come back alive.

Oyo. The dirtiest!(i cant drop my feet for a second, very irritating.)

Abia.(awon boyz yen bad!)
Orji is busy stealing while others are working

Enugu. Picking up.

Kwara.(welcome to North Africa and kingdom of Saraki's)

Ondo,Delta,Edo(indifferent, 2go or not)

Ekiti. Past glory!

Ogun.Beauty and the beast

Kano. have your say!
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 27, 2011
Beaf:

Warri (our biggest town) is like 1.5 million or so, it can't yet be classed as a megacity like Lagos. We be tiny!
People go to Lagos because there's a big market, things cost more, there's a huge population and everybody wants a peace of that.

I haven't been to Calabar (shame), but from what I've seen, read and heard, its Nigeria's best city by some margin.

I have to agree. Calabar is the ish. From the pics I've seen online and from what my Calabar friend told me, it is a very beautiful city.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Nobody: 10:16am On Feb 27, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Some part of Lagos really sucks. Kai imagine 11 people living in single room with a pit latrine and a half covered, semi-corroded bathroom.
What is more appaling is the way people troop in everyday en mass. Fash more grease to your elbow. Eko o ni baje o!

Abuja, Calabar,Akwa Ibom(projects at exubitant cost),Kaduna,Imo. Most preferred.

Jos. No go area(Tora bora), plenty blood sucking nuts!

Rivers. Rotimi you are da bomb!(but alot need to done)

North East. Very volotile(Enter with your machine loaded)

Benue,Kogi. you cant reject thier girls.

Borno. Review your will, you are likely not to come back alive.

Oyo. The dirtiest!(i cant drop my feet for a second, very irritating.)

Abia.(awon boyz yen bad!)
Orji is busy stealing while others are working

Enugu. Picking up.

Kwara.(welcome to North Africa and kingdom of Saraki's)

Ondo,Delta,Edo(indifferent, 2go or not)

Ekiti. Past glory!

Ogun.Beauty and the beast

Kano. have your say!

Funny analysis. . . bust past glory? undecided
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Afam4eva(m): 10:21am On Feb 27, 2011
This is stale.lagos is really a horible place to live.And nothing much can be done about it.Other upcoming cities like Enugu,Abuja, Owerri should take note and do proper city planning.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Rhino5dm: 10:30am On Feb 27, 2011
@ Ileke-Idi
Are you disputing??
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by phantom(m): 10:35am On Feb 27, 2011
high speed trains are a necessity.tell me why i cant live in calabar and work in lagos?instead our useless leaders are thinking of revamping an outdated snail speed rail system.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Nobody: 10:35am On Feb 27, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

@ Ileke-Idi
Are you disputing??
Yes  angry
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by ekubear1: 10:36am On Feb 27, 2011
phantom:

high speed trains are a necessity.tell me why i cant live in calabar and work in lagos?instead our useless leaders are thinking of revamping an outdated snail speed rail system.

Naija isn't that small, lol.

Anyway, I suggest we allocate more funds to improve Lagos and thus boost its rank/perception. . . grin
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by honeric01(m): 10:51am On Feb 27, 2011
If Lagos can de-congest her population, the city can see the light of the day, just too many people, too many cars on tiny roads, too many people at the airport, too many people at the bustop, just too many.

Haba, are there no other states in Nigeria people can just relocate to? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Afam4eva(m): 11:11am On Feb 27, 2011
We know what keeps moving people to lagos.Other cities need to be opened up so that lagos can have a breathing space. The calabar people are talking about has nothing except the beauty. No be beauty man go chop. I want where I can make money ang calabar is not that place.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by honeric01(m): 11:28am On Feb 27, 2011
^^^^

Abi, calabar is like a resting place, so no comparison

Lagos to Nigeria is like NY to the USA.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by ekubear1: 11:33am On Feb 27, 2011
NYC isn't starved of funds by the US FG though undecided Lagos otoh is gypped.

$2 billion budget for 12 million+ people. . .

60%+ of the VAT revenue of Nigeria. . . yet only sees a small fraction of this money back.

etc, etc.

Pretty damn annoying.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by honeric01(m): 11:34am On Feb 27, 2011
eku_bear:

NYC isn't starved of funds by the US FG though undecided Lagos otoh is gypped.

$2 billion budget for 12 million+ people. . .

60%+ of the VAT revenue of Nigeria. . . yet only sees a small fraction of this money back.

etc, etc.

Pretty damn annoying.

Yes, imagine being starved of funds by the then OBJ regime for years.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by ekubear1: 11:36am On Feb 27, 2011
It is being starved of funds today. Lagos contributes far more in revenue to the Nigerian coffer than it gets back.

And the FG purposefully doesn't build any infrastructure there, because it is an ACN state.

Not to talk of all that port money that the FG gobbles up but doesn't share out.

Maybe we should resort to militarism like these ND boys have. . .
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by Beaf: 11:41am On Feb 27, 2011
We need to open up the ports in Warri, Port Hacourt and Calabar for business.
They have been starved off business and Lagos has gained; that way other states would contribute to Nigeria's VAT takings and trade would be dispersed, thus reducing the population in Lagos.

Whats the reason why all the port business was moved to Lagos anyway?
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th Worst Livable City In The World 2011: D'you Agree? by presido1: 11:49am On Feb 27, 2011
Beaf:

We need to open up the ports in Warri, Port Hacourt and Calabar for business.
They have been starved off business and Lagos has gained; that way other states would contribute to Nigeria's VAT takings and trade would be dispersed, thus reducing the population in Lagos.

Whats the reason why all the port business was moved to Lagos anyway?
I hope GEJ will do this and free the people of Lagos to enjoy their city/state. Even if he want to locate the seaport in Bayelsa no qualms as far as its functioning.

5 Years Working Parmit To Qatar (no Deposit Please!) / What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / Overstayed Visiting Visa In Nigeria