Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,716 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE (707 Views)

I Finally Quit My Bank Job For Bolt Driving / I Quit My Lagos Hotel Manager Job, Relocated To Abuja For Green Pasture -Emenalo / Do I Need To Quit My Job ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Jarvis22: 9:41am On Sep 21, 2020
Good Morning Nairalanders and a wonderful Monday to you all.

I will not take so much of your time..... I am 22 years old and I have been working as a Website Manager for 11 months now (October makes it exactly one year). For those who are not familiar with the job, I make posts for websites daily and upload them.
My client is a New York based Gentleman and the website is mainly on News not like a blog and I am currently managing 4 websites.

Now the problem is that the work is too tedious and requires a lot of skill and meticulousness. My boss is a very strict man although kind so that means everything has to be done to perfection. I start work by 8AM every morning and I close by 11PM except on weekends when I close by 10PM and I do these all week round Monday to Monday. And then I have to always be online on whatsapp 24/7 to get a directive or an instruction for him. That is how it has been all through these 11 months.

Like I said, he is not a bad Boss at all. All through these 11 Months I have worked for him, I started with a salary package of 35,000 and it has been increasing ever since to 72,000 last month when he added the fourth website for me.

I initially liked the work because it was kind of my thing, but right now it is terribly affecting me healthwise. I have a bad eye (Short sightedness) which requires me to wear glasses. The stress of sitting in front of the computer screen for many hours everyday is now taking its toll on me. I wake up with a bad headache some days, otherdays I can hardly keep my eye open while working because of the light, it hurts my eyes a lot and my vision is getting bad. It has also affected my social life terribly because, most days I only leave my house like for 30 minutes in a whole week! And that is to buy food or something and I do not have any close friends at all.

I have made a decision that come October, I will be telling him of my intention to resign.

I have another Job by the side though, it's much easier and also remote. I only have to use my phone and if I invest the amount of time and energy I spend on the websites on it, I will make much more money, but my only fear is that the Job can close one day and I will be left hanging.

I am just 22 years old and I recently wrote my last exams last year. I haven't finished my clearance and I haven't gone for NYSC which I may opt for next year.

I need some advise please on how you guys see it, should I quit or not? (I will still have to quit sometime next year when I want to do my NYSC stuff).

MODERATORS, Please be kind to me and push this to front page. I would terribly appreciate it very much. Have a nice Monday and a wonderful week ahead.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Bessppectt(f): 9:42am On Sep 21, 2020
Ok
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by RedPanthar: 9:42am On Sep 21, 2020
Don't be hasty. Stop reciting reasons you need to leave.

Follow this counsel :

1. Tell your client the extended work time is affecting your health and you like him to grant you two requests.

I. To give you one week leave
Ii. To grant you the opportunity to close earlier 9pm so you can rebuild your metabolism atleast for a period of One month
Iii. Increase your savings and strive to save 50,000 Naira monthly and stash as much for up to five months so you have like 250k so you plan for retirement once you have between 250 and 300k
Iv. Begin researching businesses you can put your 250/300k into like mini importation once you start, you can begin to plan a new business terrain

2. Begin to observe mid day siestas and more sleep and keep a sleep diary. As your sleep health improves, you will observe your health improve significantly and the pressure from retiring subsides

3. The client knows your value and won't sack you. Why do you think he's piling you with projects. It's not because he's using you, but finds you resourceful. So cash in on your value by leveraging your worth for this negotiation. Tell him you did a full day off with no work atall and you intend to use that day to sleep and boost your health to better serve him

4. Write him a formal letter citing the situations and why you feel fulfilled working with him not just for. Financial gains and won't like to see the relationship suffer explaining in clear details what the workload is doing and telling him in the letter to make considerations reducing your workloads, project time lines and grant you the rest period mentioned above

5. Consider a side-guy to handle some projects that can be outsourced from your workload and delegate only taking the projects you can

I RUN A 20 MAN CLOUD-BASED TECH TEAM SO I KNOW WHAT YOU NEED IS MORE OF STRATEGIES WHICH YOU'RE INEXPERIENCED IN... HENCE IT'S MORE OF APPROPRIATEY AND NOT ENTIRELY OF WORKLOAD

DO AS ADVISED AND YOU'LL SEE POSITIVE FEEDBACK FROM THE CLIENT. HE CAN'T AFFORD TO RETRAIN ANOTHER HANDLER FROM SCRATCH AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO EFFICIENTLY COMMUNICATE YOUR DESIRES TO HIM. SIMPLE.... COMMUNICATE YOUR INTERESTS IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY

8 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Nobody: 9:43am On Sep 21, 2020
I would have said dont resign but I see your points and they make sense.
All I'll just say is life is a risk. Take a risk but make sure it's calculated. Whatever decision you take may God see you through.

And hey well-done for working and earning at your age. Keep it up and trust me the sky won't be a limit.

Many of your mates here if they are not dancing zanku and tesumole upandan they are opening threads with "please advise me this girl no want give me kpomo should I leave her"

Omo gidi ni e jare

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by thesicilian: 9:52am On Sep 21, 2020
1st you're not "just 22yrs old", you're 22yrs old. Don't think you're still that young at 22 because there are many jobless agbayas around you in Nigeria

2. Although you claim the man is nice, I still feel he's exploiting you at that pay for the amount of work and time you're putting into the job.

3. I know you must have put in a lot of thought into this before coming online, but I still feel you should be a little more patient, at least till you go for your NYSC, then you'll have a more "satisfactory" reason to give the man as to why you're quitting or asking for better working hours, and you leave the door open for return after your NYSC if you so wish. It's never too okay to burn your bridges especially in this country where nothing is certain.

4. Like someone advised above, I believe there are certain aspects of the projects you can outsource on a day to day basis. You don't have to do everything alone.

5. Instead of considering that 2nd job you're talking about, why not start your own stuff, and build it on the side until it is viable enough for you to quit working for somebody?

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by RedPanthar: 9:55am On Sep 21, 2020
He isn't exploiting you. Don't let anyone let you feel used. In years to come you'd thank your stars for the experiences garnered working on the projects. You're not being used. You're at the right place earning the right amount. When it's time for the heavens to raise you, you will be rewarded for your service

I learnt under people for years and wasn't paid a dime. Today, the stuffs I know in ICT, in the entire country in my generation only a handful can try to come close. Be patient. Negotiate your work time if it means taking reduced pay
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Pearlqueen(f): 9:58am On Sep 21, 2020
Jarvis22:

I will not take so much of your time..... I am 22 years old and I have been working as a Website Manager for 11 months now (October makes it exactly one year). For those who are not familiar with the job, I make posts for websites daily and upload them.
My client is a New York based Gentleman and the website is mainly on News not like a blog and I am currently managing 4 websites.

Now the problem is that the work is too tedious and requires a lot of skill and meticulousness. My boss is a very strict man although kind so that means everything has to be done to perfection. I start work by 8AM every morning and I close by 11PM except on weekends when I close by 10PM and I do these all week round Monday to Monday. And then I have to always be online on whatsapp 24/7 to get a directive or an instruction for him. That is how it has been all through these 11 months.

Like I said, he is not a bad Boss at all. All through these 11 Months I have worked for him, I started with a salary package of 35,000 and it has been increasing ever since to 72,000 last month when he added the fourth website for me.

I initially liked the work because it was kind of my thing, but right now it is terribly affecting me healthwise. I have a bad eye (Short sightedness) which requires me to wear glasses. The stress of sitting in front of the computer screen for many hours everyday is now taking its toll on me. I wake up with a bad headache some days, otherdays I can hardly keep my eye open while working because of the light, it hurts my eyes a lot and my vision is getting bad. It has also affected my social life terribly because, most days I only leave my house like for 30 minutes in a whole week! And that is to buy food or something and I do not have any close friends at all.

I have made a decision that come October, I will be telling him of my intention to resign.

I have another Job by the side though, it's much easier and also remote. I only have to use my phone and if I invest the amount of time and energy I spend on the websites on it, I will make much more money, but my only fear is that the Job can close one day and I will be left hanging.

I am just 22 years old and I recently wrote my last exams last year. I haven't finished my clearance and I haven't gone for NYSC which I may opt for next year.

I need some advise please on how you guys see it, should I quit or not? (I will still have to quit sometime next year when I want to do my NYSC stuff).

MODERATORS, Please be kind to me and push this to front page. I would terribly appreciate it very much. Have a nice Monday and a wonderful week ahead.
Package all that you have said here in a letter to him and allow him make one of two choices:

1. Increase your pay (to an amount you will state in your mail) or
2. Make the job more flexible for you.

If he doesn't agree to any of these, then, you can take a bow.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Jarvis22: 9:58am On Sep 21, 2020
RedPanthar:
Don't be hasty. Stop reciting reasons you need to leave.

Follow this counsel :

1. Tell your client the extended work time is affecting your health and you like him to grant you two requests.

I. To give you one week leave
Ii. To grant you the opportunity to close earlier 9pm so you can rebuild your metabolism atleast for a period of One month
Iii. Increase your savings and strive to save 50,000 Naira monthly and stash as much for up to five months so you have like 250k so you plan for retirement once you have between 250 and 300k
Iv. Begin researching businesses you can put your 250/300k into like mini importation once you start, you can begin to plan a new business terrain

2. Begin to observe mid day siestas and more sleep and keep a sleep diary. As your sleep health improves, you will observe your health improve significantly and the pressure from retiring subsides

3. The client knows your value and won't sack you. Why do you think he's piling you with projects. It's not because he's using you, but finds you resourceful. So cash in on your value by leveraging your worth for this negotiation. Tell him you did a full day off with no work atall and you intend to use that day to sleep and boost your health to better serve him

4. Write him a formal letter citing the situations and why you feel fulfilled working with him not just for. Financial gains and won't like to see the relationship suffer explaining in clear details what the workload is doing and telling him in the letter to make considerations reducing your workloads, project time lines and grant you the rest period mentioned above

5. Consider a side-guy to handle some projects that can be outsourced from your workload and delegate only taking the projects you can

I RUN A 20 MAN CLOUD-BASED TECH TEAM SO I KNOW WHAT YOU NEED IS MORE OF STRATEGIES WHICH YOU'RE INEXPERIENCED IN... HENCE IT'S MORE OF APPROPRIATEY AND NOT ENTIRELY OF WORKLOAD

DO AS ADVISED AND YOU'LL SEE POSITIVE FEEDBACK FROM THE CLIENT. HE CAN'T AFFORD TO RETRAIN ANOTHER HANDLER FROM SCRATCH AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO EFFICIENTLY COMMUNICATE YOUR DESIRES TO HIM. SIMPLE.... COMMUNICATE YOUR INTERESTS IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY

THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR, I appreciate your detailed advise and you really hit the nail on the head. I am a very resourceful person and truly he cannot afford to train another employee from scratch. Under him, I have trained a total of 13 people, they all left before the main work even started. That is to show you how tedious it is. But Thank You sir, I will politely negotiate with him at the close of work today. Thank you once again Sir.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Jarvis22: 10:00am On Sep 21, 2020
MejiLoyon:
I would have said dont resign but I see your points and they make sense.
All I'll just say is life is a risk. Take a risk but make sure it's calculated. Whatever decision you take may God see you through.

And hey well-done for working and earning at your age. Keep it up and trust me the sky won't be a limit.

Many of your mates here if they are not dancing zanku and tesumole upandan they are opening threads with "please advise me this girl no want give me kpomo should I leave her"

Omo gidi ni e jare

Thank you sir.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by RedPanthar: 10:03am On Sep 21, 2020
Jarvis22:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR, I appreciate your detailed advise and you really hit the nail on the head. I am a very resourceful person and truly he cannot afford to train another employee from scratch. Under him, I have trained a total of 13 people, they all left before the main work even started. That is to show you how tedious it is. But Thank You sir, I will politely negotiate with him at the close of work today. Thank you once again Sir.

Keep training. I've trained close to 600 on the forum. Many leave but are thankful. You'll see the one that'll stay. The issue if your structure. The structure of your training. As I speak I have ten to fifteen persons working with me on projects simultaneously daily.

Brainstorm effective working models

Read books on raising a team, build a team and structure your work around the team. Restructure your work into a hub/agency and have hands work on projects and you'll even take up more clients and projects and handle them effectively. As you become more effective in managing projects, more projects will then naturally find their way to you

I'm. Currently expanding to a 30/40 man tech team so you can trust my counsel
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by viyon02: 10:16am On Sep 21, 2020
op, fear is our problem, the best that can happen to you is being your own boss, quit and manage your side hustle even if it is three times lesser than what you earn.Grow and be a boss to someone too. Best of luck dear

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Coder2Client(m): 10:19am On Sep 21, 2020
Let me pitch my tent here to learn.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by RedPanthar: 10:21am On Sep 21, 2020
The real value is wealth of experiences gained while under training. Not monetary value of side hustle. Don't let people convince you otherwise saying you're being used or not paid duly. You'll be thankful of the experiences down in life.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 21, 2020
Jarvis22:

That's the usual modus operandi of working from home....these offshore employer like to abuse both the work at home condition and time difference......you are the one that has to put your foot on the ground....and explain things Inna civilized way

I've done something like that before...our time zone was about 5hrs+ apart...
....I would have gone to sleep...around 1am here, she would send job request to me at her own time which maybe around 8pm... telling me to submit by 5am in the morning( my own time)

I had to tell her straight there's need to establish a communication and work operation model....I told her my rest time.....I explained our time difference...she grumbled but I no send...

Whenever she send a job after 7pm Nigerian time...she's on her own if it's urgent....when I eventually told her I was leaving....she wanted to bribe me extra $ cos she was paying me per research .....but it was too late....another company was already calling.....

But where is lalasticlala seff.....??

Lala, lala, but I told you to stay around.... there's one offshore employer here giving our Nigerian brother hard time for just 7naira permonth.....the employer na snake ooooo
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:29pm On Sep 21, 2020
What I would advise you to do is to start looking for other jobs. You can use this present job as a portfolio to apply to virtual assistant jobs. As bad as it is don't leave that job till you get a better offer.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by RedPanthar: 11:30pm On Sep 21, 2020
Jarvis22:

. Hi. Can you look into a project for me. I'm handling a content project for a client that requires some knowledge on HTML to tweak the output to meet the client's expectations. Would you be willing to spare me 15/30 minutes to look into the project instructions and give some tips/oversight?
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Haryoureendey4(m): 1:38am On Sep 22, 2020
1StopRudeness:

That's the usual modus operandi of working from home....these offshore employer like to abuse both the work at home condition and time difference......you are the one that has to put your foot on the ground....and explain things Inna civilized way

I've done something like that before...our time zone was about 5hrs+ apart...
....I would have gone to sleep...around 1am here, she would send job request to me at her own time which maybe around 8pm... telling me to submit by 5am in the morning( my own time)

I had to tell her straight there's need to establish a communication and work operation model....I told her my rest time.....I explained our time difference...she grumbled but I no send...

Whenever she send a job after 7pm Nigerian time...she's on her own if it's urgent....when I eventually told her I was leaving....she wanted to bribe me extra $ cos she was paying me per research .....but it was too late....another company was already calling.....

But where is lalasticlala seff.....??

Lala, lala, but I told you to stay around.... there's one offshore employer here giving our Nigerian brother hard time for just 7naira permonth.....the employer na snake ooooo
please where did u meet that client, I mean how u got the job? Asking cuz i am a graphic designer and i would love working remotely, working from home and getting paid
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Nebsochi: 6:24am On Sep 22, 2020
Even though I get what @RedPanthar is saying I will strongly disagree on this one.

My dear if you die on that job, you will be replaced before your burial announcement is posted.

I am a software developer and I work remotely and I have made my working hours clear to my boss.

8am to 10/11pm Monday to Sunday? Seriously?

Do you even have a life at all. Hardwork is important, but not at the expense of your health.

Try and look for another job which will give you more time to relax 8am to 6pm is reasonable.

You have to have time to build yourself. If you dont, you will keep earning that amount or getting an addition of 10k in many months.

Also another for you to note is employees are 99% of the time not wealthy. So think of adding a business and investment while you work.

You are actually earning less than N150/hr

It's your decision to make. All I can say is decide wisely.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by RedPanthar: 6:32am On Sep 22, 2020
Nebsochi:
Even though I get what @RedPanthar is saying I will strongly disagree on this one.

My dear if you die on that job, you will be replaced before your burial announcement is posted.

I am a software developer and I work remotely and I have made my working hours clear to my boss.

8am to 10/11pm Monday to Sunday? Seriously?

Do you even have a life at all. Hardwork is important, but not at the expense of your health.

Try and look for another job which will give you more time to relax 8am to 6pm is reasonable.

You have to have time to build yourself. If you dont, you will keep earning that amount or getting an addition of 10k in many months.

Also another for you to note is employees are 99% of the time not wealthy. So think of adding a business and investment while you work.

You are actually earning less than N150/hr

It's your decision to make. All I can say is decide wisely.

I didn't tell him to work nonstop. I asked him to negotiate rest period and emphasized it. I asked him to negotiate leave of absence and emphasized it. I also him to renegotiate working hours and emphasized it. But to not take resignation as the first step before negotiating all three
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 22, 2020
Haryoureendey4:
please where did u meet that client, I mean how u got the job? Asking cuz i am a graphic designer and i would love working remotely, working from home and getting paid

I was referred
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Haryoureendey4(m): 10:11am On Sep 22, 2020
1StopRudeness:

I was referred
Ooh kul, I need that kind referral grace Lord!
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Hausa(m): 11:20am On Sep 22, 2020
RedPanthar:
He isn't exploiting you. Don't let anyone let you feel used. In years to come you'd thank your stars for the experiences garnered working on the projects. You're not being used. You're at the right place earning the right amount. When it's time for the heavens to raise you, you will be rewarded for your service

I learnt under people for years and wasn't paid a dime. Today, the stuffs I know in ICT, in the entire country in my generation only a handful can try to come close. Be patient. Negotiate your work time if it means taking reduced pay
Nice read. Is there anyway I can kindly tap from your wealth of resources?
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by RedPanthar: 11:30am On Sep 22, 2020
Hausa:
Nice read. Is there anyway I can kindly tap from your wealth of resources?

The pathway towards versatile resourcefulness is to work for/under/with an established professional in your line of interest(s)
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by wiseone1111: 2:23pm On Sep 22, 2020
Jarvis22:

please sir, can you also train me on the job; I am in need of one. I promise not to disappoint you sir.
Re: I Want To Quit My Job Of 72,000, ADVISE PLEASE by Hausa(m): 4:32am On Sep 23, 2020
RedPanthar:

The pathway towards versatile resourcefulness is to work for/under/with an established professional in your line of interest(s)
Which seems to me that you are.

How can we get the ball rolling?

(1) (Reply)

Epidermology Or Environmental Health Science / Start Your Career Easily-learn Affiliate/cpa Marketing For Free / Currency Re-denomination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.