Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,623 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:23 PM

Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB (24072 Views)

Crashed Bell Helicopter Declared Non-Airworthy 3 Years Ago, Owners Tricked NCAA / Lagos Crash: Bell Helicopter Has No Black Box - Accident Investigation Bureau / Dead Tolulope Arotile: Throwback Video Of Nigeria’s Combat Helicopter Pilot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by ikorodureporta: 6:53am On Sep 22, 2020
- Crashed chopper pilot had no valid licence, says AIB

- Operator insists it got exemption from NCAA

The Accident Investigation Bureau (AIB) Nigeria, yesterday, released the preliminary report on the recent helicopter crash in Opebi, Lagos, disclosing that the aircraft had no fuel at the time of the incident. It added that the late pilot had no valid licence.

Besides, the investigators said there was no evidence that the pilot applied for exemption in obedience to Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority’s (NCAA) provisions.

Reacting, the operator, Quorum Aviation Limited, faulted the claim, showing evidence sanctioning the pilot to fly.

The Bell 206B five-seater aircraft, marked 5N-BQW, crashed while returning from Port Harcourt on August 28, 2020. It killed all three occupants.

The AIB’s document noted that the jet was fully fuelled in the Rivers State capital, but had no capacity of jettisoning the content mid-air, yet “there was no fuel left in the fuel tank after the crash.”

Signed by the AIB Commissioner, Akin Olateru, the report said the airliner that was filled the preceding day had 10 minutes of engine run and 20 minutes of test flight on it same day in Port Harcourt.

“The helicopter has an endurance of 3:24h. The operational flight plan filed by the pilot indicated an endurance of 3:15h and an estimated flight time of 2:45h. The helicopter engine was started at 09:15h. The helicopter took off at 09:20h.The helicopter crashed at 12:14h.There was no fuel left in the fuel tanks after the crash. The mast and main rotor blades were found intact during the post-crash inspection,” the agency clarified.

It admitted that the plane had a valid airworthiness certificate, as its Aircraft Maintenance Engineers’ License Validity was expiring February 14, 2022 with Aircraft Ratings of Category A&C Agusta/Bell 206, Bell 212, Sikorsky S76, Eurocopter EC 155 helicopters, while the Certificate of Airworthiness of the chopper expires October 29 this year.

The report read in part: “The pilot’s last medical examination was valid till August 6, 2020. There was no evidence to show that an application for the exemption provided by the All Operators’ Letter (AOL) DG020/20 had been submitted to the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority.

“The pilot’s last proficiency check was valid till August 24, 2020. There was no evidence to show that an application for the exemption provided by the AOL DG018/20 had been submitted to the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority.”

It also indicated several communications between the ill-fated airplane and Lagos tower until response was lost.

The airline’s Managing Director and Accountable Manager, Abiola Lawal, maintained that seven days to the expiration of the pilot’s proficiency licence, the company wrote the NCAA on August 18, 2020, requesting extension and exemption.

He said the correspondence followed a notice from the regulator to operators with reference, NCAA/DOT/GEN012/20/002.

The letter, according to him, stated: “Given the challenges of the COVID-19 (pandemic) in organising additional crew and training, we hereby wish to request for the exemption/extension of our pilot, Captain Chika Prudence Ernest License ATPL (H) 6245, under the above exemption granted by the DG in the above circular.

“His proficiency expires on August 24, 2020 and his comprehensive medical is valid until August 6, 2023. Captain Prudence is an experienced helicopter pilot and PIC on the Bell 206. We (will) kindly appreciate if this application can be promptly approved.”

https://m.guardian.ng/news/crashed-chopper-pilot-had-no-valid-licence-says-aib/

2 Likes

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by ikorodureporta: 6:56am On Sep 22, 2020
no license, no black box, no fuel.. this na suicide mission.

I wonder why he didn't look for a good place to land instead of that compound's fence

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by Nobody: 7:08am On Sep 22, 2020
Wawu
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by Olupristine(f): 7:54am On Sep 22, 2020
And he was allowed to fly......

Do u have any chronic infection

Whatsapp me for herbal treatment and cure

9 Likes

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by FarahAideed: 7:59am On Sep 22, 2020
I have been vindicated once more when I said the Helicopter ran out of fuel from the onset and even opened a thread explaining my position.

P.S

For those arguing the Helicopter couldn't have ran out of fuel I will breakdown why the helicoot ran out of fuel so you can learn .

First an foremost the Bell 206 cannot dump fuel because it doesn't have the ability to ...not every aircraft can dump fuel , even your popular Boeing 737 has the ability to dump fuel . Most civilian helicopters don't have that ability ..

To know why he ran out of fuel you will first have to know a little about the helicopter he was flying . The helicopter in question is a small helicopter called a bell 206 and the model he was flying was the single rotor, single turbine version and this version has a Maximum range of just 693 kms with full tank and carry 3 average sized passengers and the distance from Portharcourt to Lagos using his flight plan was about 623 Km so you see he had a very small margin of error for his fuel consumption variables ..any small adjustments to to his power demands during the flights would have left his fuel tanks stranded ..

He should never have flown the Bell 206 beyond 500km before his next refuel and even the Helicopter manufacturers suggest such ...From record it suggest he has been getting away with that margin for a while and go used to risking it ... If he had just even one passenger less he would have made it to his destination which was just about 2 minutes away from where he crashed .

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by ShinnBet: 8:17am On Sep 22, 2020
ikorodureporta:

I wonder why he didn't look for a good place to land instead of that compound's fence

Don't mind these idiots.

The black box was removed from the crash site by the operators.

This is not the first time that has happened.

The pilot I suspect must have dumped his fuel in anticipation of a crash in an urban area. No pilot will fly with inadequate fuel and if it so happens to be so, would have made an emergency landing in an open area.

Thirdly, the AIB coming out with this statement of the pilot not having a valid liscence is following the earlier NCAA's very unprofessional utterance long before AIB came out with their prelimunary report, that the helicopter in question was not approved for flight operations by them.

Then how come an aircraft that was not approved for operations was being operated within Nigerian airspace by an unqualified Pilot?

These NCAA idiots don't know they are even indicting themselves for failing to do their job.

This is not the first time the useless NCAA has been in the eye of the storm. This same NCAA came out to tell us that the black box for Bellview Airliner that mysteriously crashed somewhere around Ibadan airspace in 2005 was stolen from their office in Lagos.

I have met and interacted with several of these NCAA badged agents and I can tell you 90% of them have no businesss working in aviation talk more of being regulators.

As for AIB, does ones do not have a single clue.

My opinion of the timeline of events is as follows:.

1. Pilot notices a major fault

2. Pilot contacts Ikeja ATC notifying them of an emergency

3. Pilot dumps fuel in anticipation of a forced landing in an urban area

4. Pilot must have lost engine power or rudder control or both

5. Chopper can't be controlled by pilot and goes into a spin (highlighting loss od rudder control)

6. Chopper crashes

7. Onlookers swarm the site

8. Police do nothing to secure the crash site.

9. Airline representatives visit site and ecuavate black box

10. AIB cones in and as clueless as they are come out with their useless conclusion

P S.

Worked as an Avionics Engineer with the USMC for 5yrs.

224 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by movierequest(m): 8:19am On Sep 22, 2020
ok
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by Gwagone: 8:19am On Sep 22, 2020
It is normal as we see lots of vehicles without license too in the country

2 Likes

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 8:20am On Sep 22, 2020
F

1 Like

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by whytediamond(m): 8:20am On Sep 22, 2020
He is a Mastakillah
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by Osnami: 8:21am On Sep 22, 2020
sad
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by Racoon(m): 8:21am On Sep 22, 2020
Humn! A pilot having no license yet flew a plane & wreck lives.When will we have responsible leadership in this nation? The aviation ministry, NCAA, aircraft pilots/ engineers will all be doing the blame game.Nigeria! What a country.
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by solmus: 8:21am On Sep 22, 2020
shocked

When they argue back and forth they are trying to dodge payment of compensation to victims

Who stole the Blackbox from the site of crash

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by adioolayi(m): 8:22am On Sep 22, 2020
...and he killed himself and destroyed properties...Gains of incompetence
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by amalab30(m): 8:22am On Sep 22, 2020
Lawlessness
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by Enudapan: 8:22am On Sep 22, 2020
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by noble71(m): 8:23am On Sep 22, 2020
shocked
I don't know who to believe. I know how this country works once there is casualty everybody will be shifting blames.

1 Like

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 8:24am On Sep 22, 2020
ikorodureporta:

you didn’t even read your own article sir

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by ForeThinker: 8:24am On Sep 22, 2020
It's well
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by nicho450(m): 8:24am On Sep 22, 2020
But he flew even without them.
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by BestTruth101(m): 8:25am On Sep 22, 2020
ShinnBet:

Don't mind these idiots.

The pilot I suspect must have dumped his fuel in anticipation of a crash in an urban area. No pilot will fly with inadequate fuel and if it so happens to be so, would have made an emergency landing in an open area.

Thirdly, the AIB coming out with this statement of the pilot not having a valid liscence is following the earlier NCAA's very unprofessional utterance long before AIB came out with their prelimunary report, that the helicopter in question was not approved for flight operations by them.

Then how come an aircraft that was not approved for operations was being operated within Nigerian airspace by an unqualified Pilot?

These NCAA idiots don't know they are even indicting themselves for failing to do their job.

This is not the first time the useless NCAA has been in the eye of the storm. This same NCAA came out to tell us that the black box for Bellview Airliner that mysteriously crashed somewhere around Ibadan airspace in 2005 was stolen from their office in Lagos.

I have met and interacted with several of these NCAA badged agents and I can tell you 90% of them have no businesss working in aviation talk more of being regulators.

5. Chopper can't be controlled by pilot and goes into a spin (highlighting loss od rudder control)

6. Chopper crashes

10. AIB cones in and as clueless as they are come out with their useless conclusion

P S.

Thanks for the insights sir

17 Likes

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by WinLABSstores: 8:25am On Sep 22, 2020
angry

The new news is
Untrained, unlicensed and unskilled pilot crashed helicopter...
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by Stallion93(m): 8:25am On Sep 22, 2020
cry
Until a plane crash then you’d hear it had no valid license. 1 of the 1000 ways to die here
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by oluwaseunamos33(m): 8:25am On Sep 22, 2020
HMMMMMMMMMM. Nigeria my country, i hail una oo. Pilot without license, helicopter without fuel. very soon mad man along the street with carry private jet, physically will fly fighter jet
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 8:26am On Sep 22, 2020
whytediamond:
He is a Mastakillah
wetin I do
Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by thecuteone(m): 8:26am On Sep 22, 2020
ShinnBet:

Don't mind these idiots.

6. Chopper crashes

P S.

Your analysis is top notch sir

15 Likes

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by solmus: 8:27am On Sep 22, 2020
ShinnBet:

Don't mind these idiots.

6. Chopper crashes

P S.

But AIB just said this particular Bells helicopter doesn't have provision for fuel dumping mid air

21 Likes

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by Scarrr: 8:27am On Sep 22, 2020
ikorodureporta:

look for a good place to land? How please? Even na very very few car driver's dey get luck when brake failure occurs

2 Likes

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by ShinnBet: 8:27am On Sep 22, 2020
FarahAideed:
I have been vindicated once more when I said the Helicopter ran out of fuel

Not true.

No civilian pilot will carry out a flight without the minimum amount of fuel neither for the operation plus the mandatory reserves.

2 Likes

Re: Crashed Bell Helicopter Pilot Had No Valid License - AIB by Triangles1(m): 8:27am On Sep 22, 2020
Tell us the truths OGA I don't believe you, the numbers of people driving without licenses in Naij are many, getting license from authority doesn't guarantee ones safety because most of the license are giving without proper assessment.

If you know you know.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I'm Tired; Heading To Finland. / How U.S. Shortchanges Swindles Nigerians In Visa Application Fees / 13 Passengers, 70 Animals Killed In Katsina Truck Rollover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.