Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,821 members, 7,798,769 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper (2327 Views)

Festus Keyamo Attacks Vanguard Newspaper Over Poor Headline "Bad Journalism" / 2019 Election Results: Atiku, Buhari In Close Marking- Vanguard Newspaper / President Buhari Reading Vanguard Newspaper. Is This His Response To Amaechi? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by kahal29: 12:38pm On Sep 22, 2020
****2023 permutations

Multiple party sources told Vanguard that permutations ahead of the 2023 presidential election which led to the ouster of the erstwhile National Chairman of the party, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, was part of what played out last Saturday in Edo.

One of them who had predicted that the ruling party was going to lose the election based on happenings in the party, said: “the Edo election was essentially a contest between the North and the South.”

He said: “What happened in Edo was a result of multiple factors but let me tell you about the ones that concern the party.

One, there is the local Edo politics. There were people who had issues with Oshiomhole, even right from when he was governor, and felt it was payback time. That is in Edo.

“Now, within the party, it was you (the media) who reported that some of our governors were not happy that Obaseki was denied the governorship ticket and frustrated out of the party like an ordinary person.

“Well, I do not want to confirm or dismiss that, but maybe we have to ask them (governors) why only two of them were visible in Edo during the campaigns. What happened that the APC could not do a grand finale of its campaigns? In other words, we did not close our campaigns properly. It has never been like that. Even if the President was not going to be there, at least the vice-president would be there.

“We had a 49-member National Campaign Council with about five serving governors, former governors, senators, ministers, and others but the campaigns were reduced to Oshiomhole and Ize-Iyamu.

“I saw only two governors, Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano who was chairman of the council and his vice, Governor Hope Uzodimma of Imo. So what happened? Where were the others?”

Another party source who was a member of the dissolved National Working Committee, NWC, of the party said the governors cannot be exonerated.

He said: “You would recall how some of us had expressed misgivings about the letters or statements that were being written by the D-G of Progressive Governors’ Forum, Salihu Mohammed Lukman. He constantly assailed Comrade Oshiomhole and condemned our campaigns in Edo. Nobody called him to order. What he did was anti-party.

“He claimed to have been speaking in his personal capacity but how could that have been true? He was speaking for his paymasters who have their sights on 2023. These are people who do not want to hear anything Tinubu. Their aim is to deflate Tinubu. They see Oshiomhole as a Tinubu’s man.

“My only fear is that if you deny Tinubu the ticket and give another person, are we sure APC would still remain intact by that 2023 when President Muhammadu Buhari would not be contesting again? Personally, I am not happy that we lost in Edo, having suffered in Rivers and then in Bayelsa. We used to have 23 governors or so, but now I think we have about 19. Are we progressing or retrogressing?

“How can some people revolt against the party just because of one man? What happened in Edo is going to haunt us for a long time. I am happy Governor Ganduje has said that the party needs some soul-searching because what happened is an insight into 2023. I hope they will take him very seriously because he was on ground in Edo as chairman of the APC National Campaign Council.”

Culled From Vanguard Newspapers

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/09/real-reason-we-lost-edo-to-pdp-by-apc-chieftains/

3 Likes

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by kahal29: 12:38pm On Sep 22, 2020
Hatred for someone united them, their individual ambitions will scatter that alliance.

Its just a matter of time.

As for Obaseki, is not also going to be easy for him in his new party because the same issue of political patronage that he had in APC will also resonate in PDP on larger scale. He will now have to struggle to satisfy both the Old PDP members and the APC members he took to PDP. Each of these sides will always be on the lookout to see who gets what or who is most favored or cheated.

4 Likes

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by SmartProf(m): 12:39pm On Sep 22, 2020
All I know is that Obaseki & Shaibu took over Ize Iyamu's pulpit, collected a chordless mic and shouted to the whole world with their victory that Edo no be Lagos. Edo people proved themselves to be brave beings who cannot be placed in the agbada of one greedy godfather while suffocating and smiling.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by coolcharm(m): 12:41pm On Sep 22, 2020
Cry me a River

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by richiemcgold: 12:43pm On Sep 22, 2020
I think this report has some elements of truth. 2023 permutations was the real motive behind all these conspiracies. APC Northern governors in particular (except Ganduje) did not really support Iyamu. The way the campaign ended abruptly without a grand finale was one of the big pointers to this fact. From the look of things, south might eventually be schemed out of the 2023 equation by both APC & PDP. Next presidential election is probably going to be a northerner vs a northerner.
Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by Acjohn(m): 12:43pm On Sep 22, 2020
Now Oshopikin will know that failure is like a leprous hand and nobody likes it.
If he had delivered Edo, he would have secured some more respect but now that he couldn't, he is alone and that will be shown to him

3 Likes

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by rejoice4eva(m): 12:44pm On Sep 22, 2020
Nigerians care less
Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by BLAISECAMPAORE: 12:46pm On Sep 22, 2020
Nonsense
Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by leksite120(m): 12:49pm On Sep 22, 2020
True?
Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by ojikeebere12: 12:55pm On Sep 22, 2020
This is nothing but the truth. Just like Abubakar Sidiq Usman @MrAbuSidiq said on twitter and I quote verbatim.....

I don’t see the rationale behind APC congratulating PDP for the Edo election. Even if we are not going to challenge the election. Even if we have no problem with it, silence is golden. PDP has never congratulated APC, because any election they do not win is rigged. Wetin I know?

4 Likes

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by Racoon(m): 1:03pm On Sep 22, 2020
The permutations for 2023 of course contributed but a lots of infighting within the APC were mainly responsible for their disastrous outing in the Edo guber.
Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by Kestolove(m): 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2020
Dix defeat is small compare to what is cumin in 2023

1 Like

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by paramboos: 1:08pm On Sep 22, 2020
kahal29:
Hatred for someone united them, their individual ambitions will scatter that alliance.

As for Obaseki, is not also going to be easy for him in his new party because the same issue of political patronage that he had in APC will also resonate in PDP on larger scale. He will now have to struggle to satisfy both the Old PDP members and the APC members he took to PDP. Each of these sides will always be on the lookout to see who gets what or who is most favored or cheated.
. Welcome back sir. it's been a while, guess you were nursing your wound. When you were posting pictures upandan, disturbing the peace of nairaland, you didn't realizes that elections were not won by propaganda? It's remaining simplyleo . At least Ipob people can rest.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by kahal29: 1:18pm On Sep 22, 2020
paramboos:
. Welcome back sir. it's been a while, guess you were nursing your wound. When you were posting pictures upandan, disturbing the peace of nairaland, you didn't realizes that elections were not won by propaganda? It's remaining simplyleo . At least Ipob people can rest.

Nurse which wound? I dey laugh... Maybe you don't know me very well.... I supported a candidate based on my convictions..... Is there anything wrong with that? Life is not straight. You win some and you loose some. Obaseki has won and he has won.... Simple and Short. Life goes on.... Neither Obaseki nor Ize-Iyamu knows me..... My support for Ize-Iyamu was simply based on my conviction.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by chiiraq802(m): 1:27pm On Sep 22, 2020
kahal29:

3 Likes

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by Babacele: 1:35pm On Sep 22, 2020
Acjohn:
Now Oshopikin will know that failure is like a leprous hand and nobody likes it.
If he had delivered Edo, he would have secured some more respect but now that he couldn't, he is alone and that will be shown to him
if it is all about Oshiomole, then the OP won't have voiced his opinions as regards some governors ganging up against certain interests, or a North South supremacy contest especially with 2023 as the targets. Oshiomole is just a gate to a larger issue that the just concluded(?) Edo election epitomized. The aftermath is what you should be concerned with. The cracks that is visible is sending ripples which we shall better appreciate in the days to come.

1 Like

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by ZKOSOSO(m): 1:36pm On Sep 22, 2020
Hy
Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by slivertongue: 1:51pm On Sep 22, 2020
ok

“How can some people revolt against the party just because of one man? What happened in Edo is going to haunt us for a long time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by Fleshly: 2:27pm On Sep 22, 2020
kahal29:

Mumurish

2 Likes

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by Fleshly: 2:30pm On Sep 22, 2020
Please be specific with the south. There are two 'souths', the better South (SE/SS) and the coward betrayer south (SW). The same goes with the north, and there is the middle belt north and the other one the extreme north, (NE/NW).

As for what happened in Edo State, it's just a demistification of the opolo eye drug Baron and the rejection of his party the APC.

4 Likes

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by asanwafo: 2:41pm On Sep 22, 2020
Fleshly:
Please be specific with the south. There are two 'souths', the better South (SE/SS) and the coward betrayer south (SW). The same goes with the north, and there is the middle belt north and the other one the extreme north, (NE/NW).

As for what happened in Edo State, it's just a demistification of the opolo eye drug Baron and the rejection of his party the APC.
Small boy does not talk when men are talking.

2 Likes

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by fergie001: 4:15pm On Sep 22, 2020
kahal29:

You keep on saying this and you are very very wrong.
The ones that have been given bloodied-noses, how far their own ambitions? What goes around, comes around.
Where were you when the same Oshiomhole meted out same treatment to others.

Not to say the above was right...they were all WRONG (Okorocha, Oshiomhole, Yari & Amosun).

When everyone was saying reconcile reconcile Edo APC...It was on this NL, you guys were charging him on.

Why should Buhari intercede when he didn't for Yari, Okorocha and Amosun(who politically has been his ally even before he knew others)?

Stop taking sides, this led Ize-Iyamu to where he is now. Your party should go inside and TALK.

Let Obaseki worry about that one. Himself and his party will sort that one out when the time comes.

1 Like

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by Bkayyy: 4:21pm On Sep 22, 2020
Well, it was truly a contest of SE and SS vs North and South West.
I remember when anybody that supports Obaseki on nairaland will be immediately tagged Igbo and Ipob

4 Likes

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by tesppidd: 4:38pm On Sep 22, 2020
ojikeebere12:
This is nothing but the truth. Just like Abubakar Sidiq Usman @MrAbuSidiq said on twitter and I quote verbatim.....

I don’t see the rationale behind APC congratulating PDP for the Edo election. Even if we are not going to challenge the election. Even if we have no problem with it, silence is golden. PDP has never congratulated APC, because any election they do not win is rigged. Wetin I know?
Words on Mable.

Even Buhari who rarely congratulates anyone congratulated Obaseki within 12 hours.
Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by tesppidd: 4:46pm On Sep 22, 2020
People like Okorocha, Yari and Amaechi could never have forgiven Oshiomole.

Especially Amaechi.

They suffered major losses and embarrassment in their states because Oshiomole refused to support the impunity they tried to do in their states.

Okorocha failed to install his son as governor,
Yari installed his successor but lost it all at the SC,
Amaechi's embarassment was the worst of all,
He couldn't even produce candidates for any position because Oshiomole tactically supported Magnus Abe's revolt.

So many angry people connived to deal with Oshiomole.

1 Like

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by Enudapan: 4:47pm On Sep 22, 2020
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so sophisticated
Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by frankyychiji(f): 5:01pm On Sep 22, 2020
kahal29:

Prophet of Doom, wail small small.

Edo no be Lagos!
Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by RTSC: 5:04pm On Sep 22, 2020
Babacele:
if it is all about Oshiomole, then the OP won't have voiced his opinions as regards some governors ganging up against certain interests, or a North South supremacy contest especially with 2023 as the targets. Oshiomole is just a gate to a larger issue that the just concluded(?) Edo election epitomized. The aftermath is what you should be concerned with. The cracks that is visible is sending ripples which we shall better appreciate in the days to come.
It is not a big issue.

There is no difference between a yoruba presidency and a northern presidency to thr rest of the south.

Infact, a northern presidency is more palatable.
Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by LadyExcellency: 5:14pm On Sep 22, 2020
Tinubu and his camp are plotting the downfall of any potential challenger while his antagonists are grouping to take him down.

Ask Orji Kalu what Tinubu did to him to get him off APC presidential primaries that is coming in 2022?

Tinubu knew that Orji Uzor Kalu, a bosom friend, was among top choices from the South East quest for presidency. Kalu jumped from PDP to PPA, back to PDP and moved to APC. He contested and won the Senator-ship of Abia North. He wangled his way until he became Senate Chief Whip, after efforts to become Deputy Senate President failed. Orji Uzor Kalu was basking in his new found position as Chief Whip, when he was whipped into Kuje Prison to spend 12 years due to graft.

Kalu knew where his problem came from. Speaking to AljazirahNigeria at the Kuje Prison before the Supreme Court, squashed his conviction, he specifically mentioned the leader of the APC, Ahmed Bola Tinubu as using the EFCC to fight him because he is afraid that he will contest against him for the presidency in 2023.

Another 2023 Presidential hopeful and former Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State had a taste of what I believe as Tinubu treatment when INEC refused to give him certificate of return following his victory as Senator-elect representing Imo West. Okorocha, a most valuable favourite for Igbo Presidency 2023 was interested in becoming the Senate Majority Leader, in preparation for his Presidency bid. It took the court order of June 6th for Okorocha to be returned as a Senator and was issued the certificate on June 12th after the elections of all officers of the National Assembly. Since he managed to enter the legislative chamber, the vociferous ex-governor had cooled down. Okorocha had told people that he knew Tinubu and Oshiomhole wanted him out of the way.

Another Presidential hopeful from the South-South zone and former Governor of Akwa Ibom, Godswill Akpabio, joined the ruling APC on the ground that he will become the Senate President, and help deliver Akwa Ibom to Buhari. This runs contrary to Tinubu’s plan and Akpabio had to be checkmated. Akpabio is also a favoured alternative to Tinubu as far as the cabals are concerned. Unfortunately, the INEC Resident Commissioner, Charles Igini, an Urhobo man, was allegedly detailed through his kinsman Senator Omo Agege to ensure that Akpabio does not near the Senate chambers.

Akpabio had to lose Akwa Ibom South Senatorial Zone. Yekini Nabena, Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), urged the Independent INEC to remove Mr. Mike Igini. All attempt by Akpabio to get Igini removed failed because Oshiomhole and Bola Tinubu did not buy the idea. Akpabio had told close friends that his political travails were induced by Tinubu and Oshiomhole.

Another Presidential hopeful whom Tinubu had put in the cooler is the Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai. Angered by Tinubu’s interference in who becomes Chairman of Nigeria Governor’s Forum, El Rufai asked Lagosians to dethrone Tinubu as godfather and gave them formula on how to do that. Tinubu had to flex his muscles by ensuring that El-Rufai’s bid to succeed Ex-Gov Yari as NGF Chairman was scuttled. Instead, Kayode Fayemi was selected. Since then El-Rufai had known that Tinubu’s strongman-ship is not an exaggeration and the progressive governor have shelved his presidential ambition and thrown weight behind a southern candidate.

To the best of my knowledge, Tinubu’s long hands is in the ordeals of late Senator Uwajumogu representing Imo North, the only ranking Senator from the South East, who could have become a Senate President of principal officer in the National Assembly. INEC refused to issue him certificate of return till July 25th after a court compelled them to do so. The shock of his certificate being withheld, just as in Okorocha’s case, got the man sick and he never recovered till he slumped and died.

Tinubu installed Yemi Osibanjo as Vice President, Ahmed Lawan as Senate President, Femi Gbajamiala as Speaker of House of Reps and think he has cleared ways for his presidential bid.

1 Like

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by deboysben(m): 5:36pm On Sep 22, 2020
kahal29:

Nurse which wound? I dey laugh... Maybe you don't know me very well.... I supported a candidate based on my convictions..... Is there anything wrong with that? Life is not straight. You win some and you loose some. Obaseki has won and he has won.... Simple and Short. Life goes on.... Neither Obaseki nor Ize-Iyamu knows me..... My support for Ize-Iyamu was simply based on my conviction.
i know you are in sifia pains these days.
Just take this to console yourself.

Re: Edo Election Was A Contest Between The North And The South - Vanguard Newspaper by Yebosola(m): 5:40pm On Sep 22, 2020
Fleshly:

Ipob, always emotional and invective, bring out your 1st eleven, nah to deh abuse up and down, must u be given APC ticket? What happened to your years of servitude in PDP?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Census: How Many Yoruba People Are Still Against ESN? / Gunmen Bow To Superior Firepower Of Soldiers In Abia State / Sit-at-home: Police Stations Locked In Enugu As Officers Comply (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.