Stats: 3,143,450 members, 7,781,301 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:02 PM

Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed (1065 Views)

Courts Responsible For Present Sufferings, Hardships, Underdevelopment — NLC / Ahmed Lawan: Debt Burden Heavy On Nigerians But Necessary / Governor Ikpeazu Blames Nnamdi Kanu For Underdevelopment In Abia State (2) (3) (4)

Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 1:03pm On Sep 23, 2020
The figures show that the last four and half months of the immediate past administration and the first four and half months of present administration, the State has collected a loan of N22.8bn. One major question the people of Bayelsa and friends and lovers of Bayelsa are asking is “WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE BAYELSA STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY IN ALL THESE LOANS?” This question is still begging for answers. There is a big conspiracy between the executive and the legislature against the development of the State. Borrowing a statement from one of my friends “KILL AND DIVIDE BAYELSA MONEY”
Let me start this episode with these questions; “Bayelsa State will be twenty-four (24) years in ten days’ time, what are we going to celebrate for the 24 years anniversary? Are we going to celebrate development or we shall be lamenting the increasing debt burden without corresponding development? It is not news again that Bayelsa State is the most underdeveloped State amongst its contemporaries of Ebonyi, Ekiti, Gombe, Yobe and Zamfara that were created in the same date of October 1, 1996. It is also not news that the revenue earnings of Bayelsa State from the Federal allocation and the 13% is more than three times what their contemporaries get within a corresponding period. Bayelsa State also own an oil company known as Bayelsa oil company Limited that have a functional and producing oil field, yet no revenue has been declared by the state government as revenue generated from the operations of the oil company. It is also worthy of note that the Bayelsa Development and Investment Company BDIC have asset base worth over N200bn spread across Nigeria, South Africa, UK and others, but over the years, no income has been declared by the State Government in the so-called transparency briefing that has never been transparent but deceitful. It is as good as a scam. Despite all these sources of revenue, Yenagoa, the State capital still remains as a glorified village slum. This is in addition to lack of development in other fairly large communities and the rural areas that has been forgotten and the Local Government headquarters. All the streets in Yenagoa are deplorable to the extent that vehicle cannot pass through some of them. Uninterestingly, the source of water supply in the State is through water vendors using hand driven trucks. Surprisingly, this is the same source of water supply in the State water board of which the source of the water, the state of purity as to whether it is suitable for human consumption is not ascertained. The most worrisome is the rising level of debt burden by successful administrations in the State without any form of corresponding appreciable development in the State. The question is, what are they doing with these loans alongside the statutory Federal allocations, bailouts, 13% derivations, and IGRs without any reasonable evidence of development? It is on record that the eight (cool years of Seriake Dickson led administration received revenue worth over N1.7trn while the seven months old present administration has received over N140bn. The debt burden in the State as published by the debt management office (DMO) of Nigeria shows that the state indebtedness in both external and domestic has been on the increase with every successive administration so it is not surprising that the State has been declared insolvent.
For the records, the publication of 2012, the State domestic debt burden was about N50bn when the restoration government of Seriake Dickson took over. It continued to increase and has never reduced, yet he was deceiving Bayelsans that he was paying debts owed by his predecessors. The figures below are self-explanatory in both external and domestic debts: – External debts in US dollars (culled from DMO reports) as at: – 31st. December 2008 $25,788,797.44 31st December 2011 $27,447,347.48 30th June 2012 $27, 897,951.97 31st December 2012, $28,002,261.72 31st December 2015, $37,602, 856.36 31st December 2019, $59,511,021.22 Domestic debt in Nigeria Naira (culled from DMO reports) as at: – 31st December 2014 N91,681,863,473.29 31St December 2015 N103,374,234,640.82 30th September 2019 N127,243,132,172.38 30th June 2020 N150,057,580,348.08 This implies that from 1st of January 2012 to 31st of December the State got an external debt of $32,064,672.74 (US dollars). In the same vein from January 2012 to 30th 0f June 2020, the State got a domestic debt of N100bn. The figures show that the last four and half months of the immediate past administration and the first four and half months of present administration, the State has collected a loan of N22.8bn.
One major question the people of Bayelsa and friends and lovers of Bayelsa are asking is “WHAT IS THE ROLE OF THE BAYELSA STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY IN ALL THESE LOANS?” This question is still begging for answers. There is a big conspiracy between the executive and the legislature against the development of the State. Borrowing a statement from one of my friends “KILL AND DIVIDE BAYELSA MONEY” What is happening should not be a surprise to the people of the State, because the present administration promised to continue on the legacies of his immediate predecessor. Will the people of Bayelsa State sit down and watch the state completely destroyed beyond redemption by our supposed leaders who in real sense are maximum dictators and oppressors and are never patriotic? Let us arise and put the State back in its right track of development because we have no other State of our own. This drew my attention back to my earlier writeup on episode 11 on the need for proper human capacity evaluation before contesting for an elective office and also the electorates to ensure that those elected have the knowledge base, exposure, experience and administrative humility, honesty and patriotism to the challenges of the offices they are seeking for. These and more are the reasons Bayelsa is not developing since the emergence of democracy till date. Remember, you cannot develop beyond the qualities of your knowledge. Bayelsa and Bayelsans, when are we going to do things right? Let us arise and save the soul of Bayelsa State. Most intriguing and funny enough, these same so-called leaders have disoriented the minds of the people such that they don’t see them as their problems, instead, they see the Federal Government and the multinationals as their sole problem. (Note; the writer is not exonerating the Federal Government and the multinationals completely.)
My advice: Government at all levels should involve experts to actualise maximum development without increasing the debt burden successively to fall within the ambits of sustainable development, by so doing we shall not be harming the future.
To end this episode, I wish to leave you with some famous quotes: A renowned 18th century philosopher and politician, Edmund Burke once said “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing” According to Macklemore; “You can only watch injustice go on for so long until you’re compelled to say something. To speak out against it” The South African Nobel Laureate winner Bishop Desmond Tutu, aptly put it that “if you refuse to speak against injustice, you are on the side of the oppressor”.
Thanks, and May God help us.
Engr Furoebi Freedom Sheba Akenea development consultant writes from the Centre for Environmental Preservation and Development (CEPAD)

Read More at www.sayelba.com/the-increasing-debt-burden-and-underdevelopment-of-bayelsa-state-caused-by-greed-nepotism-ineptitude-and-insensitivity-of-leadership-by-furoebi-akene/?fbclid=IwAR38h5ZkX1CXEfTYEt2VRySXnrNG3IxhLEfRfAgHFpVEURl8Pc0pq4wKaqM © Sayelba Times
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by daddytime(m): 1:08pm On Sep 23, 2020
Useless state and bastard rulers.

Make dem sef go blame Buhari.

Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 1:12pm On Sep 23, 2020
daddytime:
i am a very Useless person and a bastard dog.

Me sef go blame Buhari for my fôolishness.
ok cool
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 23, 2020
Arrrrrrrh

75% of Nigerian Politicians are just greedy.

But the question is,

How much will you eat?
How much can you take after your death?

Greediness undecided
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 1:16pm On Sep 23, 2020
gaius01:
Arrrrrrrh

75% of Nigerian Politicians are just greedy.

But the question is,

How much will you eat?
How much can you take after your death?

Greediness undecided
biggest problem we had as a state was Seriake Dickson and how he completely buried us. That devil should be in a Chinese gulag
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by Nobody: 1:19pm On Sep 23, 2020
MASTAkiLLAh:
biggest problem we had as a state was Seriake Dickson and how he completely buried us. That devil should be in a Chinese gulag

Don't mind them, everybody whose hand ain't clean will regret it one day.

Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by Naijazonk: 1:19pm On Sep 23, 2020
undecided undecided
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by zico530(m): 1:29pm On Sep 23, 2020
The Bayelsa scenero is highly pathetic. For nine years now, civil servant in the local government especially primary school teacher have not been promoted, though the letters are issued, but no implementation. No minimum wage. Everything is rather getting worse. cry cry
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 1:30pm On Sep 23, 2020
gaius01:

Don't mind them, everybody whose hand ain't clean will regret it one day.
my question is how long are we going to wait for that “one day” ?
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by daddytime(m): 1:43pm On Sep 23, 2020
MASTAkiLLAh:
ok cool

Useless docile people.

Of all the huge allocations to that state, all you lazy arse know is share share, drink pepper soup, and ogogoro while looking for who to blame for your corrupt leader's greed and ineffectiveness without taking responsibilities to call the rogues within you to order.

You slowpoke.

Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by daddytime(m): 1:46pm On Sep 23, 2020
MASTAkiLLAh:

You can insult the people that brought you into the world online here but if you were faced with the rogue you agreed had lavished and buried you and your entire lineage's future, you'd hail him and lick his arse to get a crumb move on with your cowardly lamentation.

You no fit gather people of like minds make una confront these una common enemies and take them out if it comes to that?

Coward.
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 2:02pm On Sep 23, 2020
Someone needs attention badly cool
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by Sinistami(m): 8:47am On Sep 29, 2020
daddytime:

You can insult the people that brought you into the world online here but if you were faced with the rogue you agreed had lavished and buried you and your entire lineage's future, you'd hail him and lick his arse to get a crumb move on with your cowardly lamentation.

You no fit gather people of like minds make una confront these una common enemies and take them out if it comes to that?

Coward.

This guy, what's your problem actually? Is it that you hate the OP or you just hate Ijaws? Because I'm not understanding your lamentations oo! Shey you're Nigerian, aren't we all in the same shit hole?

Mind your self before hawk carry your fly o! Insulting Ijaw people here won't help your life or ours.
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 4:42pm On Sep 29, 2020
Sinistami:

This guy, what's your problem actually? Is it that you hate the OP or you just hate Ijaws? Because I'm not understanding your lamentations oo! Shey you're Nigerian, aren't we all in the same shit hole?

Mind your self before hawk carry your fly o! Insulting Ijaw people here won't help your life or ours.
ignore the pathetic son of perdition the same way I did. It’s obvious the sad piece of shît is inconsequential both in his immediate family and the larger society hence his need for relevance and communication by barking like a lunatic dog all over the internet cool
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by Sinistami(m): 6:16am On Sep 30, 2020
MASTAkiLLAh:
ignore the pathetic son of perdition the same way I did. It’s obvious the sad piece of shît is inconsequential both in his immediate family and the larger society hence his need for relevance and communication by barking like a lunatic dog all over the internet cool

Seriously, I respect the way you ignored him. I can't stand and look when someone who's life isn't proven to be better than mine sit behind a computer screen insulting my people, like we're the worst tribe in Nigeria.

I've been noticing this Ijaw bashing trend in nairaland for far too long. Even the Fulani don't get bashed like this.

Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by blacknp(m): 8:42am On Sep 30, 2020
Sinistami:

Seriously, I respect the way you ignored him. I can't stand and look when someone who's life isn't proven to be better than mine sit behind a computer screen insulting my people, like we're the worst tribe in Nigeria.

I've been noticing this Ijaw bashing trend in nairaland for far too long. Even the Fulani don't get bashed like this.
How do you know, are you Fulani also? It may have something to do with the way Jonathan sold out, how is the Electricity situation in Bayelsa? Charity they say begins at home.
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by OAUTemitayo: 8:50am On Sep 30, 2020
blacknp:
How do you know, are you Fulani also? It may have something to do with the way Jonathan sold out, how is the Electricity situation in Bayelsa? Charity they say begins at home.
They don't even have water supply. Forget electricity for now
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by Sinistami(m): 8:50am On Sep 30, 2020
blacknp:

LOL... I'm not Fulani, bross. And as for the electricity in Bayelsa, it's getting more stable although 12 hours light per day isn't nearly enough to start praising the governor. I don't know for other LGAs but for Yenagoa it's more stable.
Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by Sinistami(m): 8:57am On Sep 30, 2020
OAUTemitayo:

They don't even have water supply. Forget electricity for now

OK,, we have heard you. Happy now?

Re: Increasing Debt Burden And Underdevelopment Of Bayelsa State Caused By Greed by otokx(m): 3:19pm On Sep 30, 2020
The phone call is more interesting.

What Are The Consequences Of The Break-up Of Nigeria? / Governor Willie Obiano Joins End SARS Protest Sack Former OC SARS Awkuzu. / How Hoodlums Looted My Home, Stole Foodstuff, Certificates, Passport - Lagos Law

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58