Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,194 members, 7,780,333 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:37 PM

DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? (38260 Views)

RE- DM For Price: The Reason Why Many Online Vendors Do It / Can You Tell Your Friend What You Do Online That Gives You Money / What Can I Do Online That Will Guarantee Atleast $4 Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by franzis(m): 8:22am On Sep 26, 2020
Dont forget those who will see price boldly stated and they keep asking you how much is it , or the I will get back to you crew, its a two way thing

3 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Dantedasz(m): 8:24am On Sep 26, 2020
franzis:
Why leaving out those who will see price boldly stated and they keep asking you how much is it , or the I will get back to you crew, its a two way thing

More whataboutism!
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by kalu61(m): 8:26am On Sep 26, 2020
Teewhy2:
Most seller don't put prices because they believe that in Nigeria there are too much copy and paste sellers, people trying to take advantage of the next person.
even with the DM price, you will see someone asking you for price and the next few days S/he has also started selling the same product on the same platform, (though the market is big enough) and will remove maybe NGN 10- 200 from your price in order to make sales even some goes to the extent of selling inferior product at just a small discount from your own which might be at higher quality to make sales.
many people are not really passionate about the business or their integrity in this part of the world but just the money to be made in a particular business at that time before jumping to another business.
Take for instance the face shield and nose mask that came out during the coronavirus period well many people that sold initially, sold at ridiculous cost but the way people jumped at it and start selling you will think that is the only business people can do, it has it's positive as it helped to reduce the cost but a lot of counterfeit came out just to maximize profits. Some face shield after like a month you will notice it's not that clear again while the first ones that came out have lasted 4 months and still clearer than the one only used for one month, also useage depends on individual. How many people are now selling the face shield now that the price is down?
l agree with you
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Dantedasz(m): 8:28am On Sep 26, 2020
pocohantas:

Why do they do this? What are they hiding? It is annoying, stressful and scares clients away. Maybe I am wrong and it actually works for them. Any of them here should please explain to me the idea behind this. angry angry angry

Nice topic.
The reason they refuse to put the price of the product is just plain CHEATING!
They want to sell the same product at different prices to different buyers/people.
It is a plain fraudulent strategy!
Why would I have to call you to get the price of a product you are selling as if you are doing me a favour?

1 Like

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Htown64(m): 8:31am On Sep 26, 2020
Kendumazy:

You don't term them con artist bro. Don't generalize. All you have got to do is to look away and jump pass like you said.

Remember, every one has his or her way of doing his or her business. It's up to the prospective buyer to determine if such ways are okay with him or her.

With the same DM pattern, na people still dey patronize them cos it's okay with them.

I come in peace!
The are cheats in the sense that they don't want to sell at uniform price.

3 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by lymelyte(m): 8:34am On Sep 26, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:
This might sound crazy but I think it's sort of a mechanism for making maximum profit off unsuspecting customers. Going to their DM for price means A doesn't get told the same price or given the same discount as B.
made sense! smiley..it's a good business model.
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Samyd18: 8:35am On Sep 26, 2020
apparently this what Igbo people Ikeja Lagos.... how much is your products........you hear how much you want to pay ?
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by yanabasee(m): 8:37am On Sep 26, 2020
pocohantas:

I am sure it annoys me more o. That thing dey make me vex ehn! It isn’t transparent to me and I don’t do business with such people. I just want to be sure I am not judging them harshly. Maybe their intentions are noble.

It's very simple....

Lots of people go to their pages/TL to drive customers by telling them that this person is selling it for 40k that they've it for 35k and people will feel the original poster is trying to be selfish...

In most cases, the original poster is selfish and greedy and wants to sell a dress of 3k for 7k online to cover transportation and airtime bills and stress as well.....

1 Like

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by KrazyDave16(m): 8:37am On Sep 26, 2020
idu1:

What is exotic chicken?
An uncommon or sometimes rare breed of chicken that can't be found and acquired easily.

Not the same as the local fowl or agric one sees here.

3 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by IncredibleWrite: 8:47am On Sep 26, 2020
If you don't know the reason people do things, ask politely, than going ahead to assume. I see some ignoramuses calling the sellers names. That's because they haven't walked in their shoes.

Running an e-commerce business in Nigeria is hard on another level. A lot of people would frustrate you. It's something I've done and still doing.

Most of these people who ask about the price in the Public domain are unserious. Some just want to know if they can be better competition. Any serious buyer wouldn't be aggravated when asked to DM for price.

The primary aim of an ad is not to sell directly, but to aggregate leads for conversion. If you are a seller here, don't make the mistake of dropping price randomly. Don't mind what these people say here.

3 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Nobody: 8:49am On Sep 26, 2020
I WONDER
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by meobizy(f): 8:50am On Sep 26, 2020
OP, PM for my comment.

3 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by benqo01(m): 8:52am On Sep 26, 2020
You all are guilty of this so stop pretending.......instead of you to keep quite and correct yourselves you are blabbing....mtchewww
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by portside(m): 8:58am On Sep 26, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:
This might sound crazy but I think it's sort of a mechanism for making maximum profit off unsuspecting customers. Going to their DM for price means A doesn't get told the same price or given the same discount as B.
This is the reason they do this nonsense
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by KillerBeauty(f): 8:59am On Sep 26, 2020
Rodwave:
If you want to buy a product, engage the seller. If you don't have time to ask a simple question like 'how much"? then you are not a serious buyer. Most people complaining are just passers-by grin. Stop looking for something to buy when you don't have money cheesy. Why are you guys not complaining of landlord not putting the rent on the' house for rent' card? Has that stopped people from renting house?

Landlords put the price for rent in their houses. Check Nigerianproperties.com
As long as it's online, a price tag is added. Like jumia and co

1 Like

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Rodwave: 9:02am On Sep 26, 2020
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Rodwave: 9:02am On Sep 26, 2020
KillerBeauty:

Then go there. It is that simple.
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Mplify(m): 9:04am On Sep 26, 2020
To Avoid PUBLIC Embarrassment Periodt!
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by KillerBeauty(f): 9:05am On Sep 26, 2020
ezenwajosh:
Reason is because you tell them price on comment section or in public they will say OK....then come back three months later when there has been a change in price to point out you made it public here that the price is so so and so

Some will ask you all questions and all details only to tell you on comment section that he has a friend online that sells cheaper

Even when some make their prices known in public someone will say in comment section that its expensive that they sell cheaper

So sellers now ask you to DM them to show your seriousness to buy and to give you the price and any negotiations in private....

Some will even tell you that your price is unreasonably high that you shouldn't be selling things online....

Some will storm the comment section where you made your price public and be telling buyers they will give them a better price

Just what I have observed though

This is so true. I've encountered it even foreigners do it. They will put a link in their comment where u can buy the product for a lesser price

1 Like

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by PAQ(m): 9:08am On Sep 26, 2020
Anybody that does that isnt straight forward, period!

I feel its don for the following dubious resons:

1. He wants to be in control over the price with the hope of catching a mugu that will first accept his asking price without bargain.

2. He wants to be able to sell his products at different prices (incase there are more than one product) with the option to also catch a mugu, or cover up for a product that was bargained to the lowest value.

3. Based on the customer, the product may be over priced and he doesnt want external criticism from third parties. If a foreigner shows interest, a product of N50 becomes N100!

2 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by KrazyDave16(m): 9:15am On Sep 26, 2020
IncredibleWrite:
If you don't know the reason people do things, ask politely, than going ahead to assume. I see some ignoramuses calling the sellers names. That's because they haven't walked in their shoes.

Running an e-commerce business in Nigeria is hard on another level. A lot of people would frustrate you. It's something I've done and still doing.

Most of these people who ask about the price in the Public domain are unserious. Some just want to know if they can be better competition. Any serious buyer wouldn't be aggravated when asked to DM for price.

The primary aim of an ad is not to sell directly, but to aggregate leads for conversion. If you are a seller here, don't make the mistake of dropping price randomly. Don't mind what these people say here.

Yeah right...

Those wholesalers you got your products from did you dm them for price too??

Or you making your own unique product? (If so ignore the rest below)

The internet is a public space for information so why bother hiding and inflating the price when I can get an appraisal in a few minutes.

If after appraising the product I intend to buy and I dm you as per your request and you quote nonsense to me without giving me solid reasons, I'll flag you as an unscrupulous person and warn others not to patronize you.

Oh and btw, not all serious buyers DM to ask for price except it's to ask of it's still available, account to pay into and when they'll get the product.

Time is money, some aren't gonna waste it on deliberating whether to pull the trigger after you told them the price unless your audience are those who don't value money (you know them).

3 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Sijo01(f): 9:19am On Sep 26, 2020
Very annoying something
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Rodwave: 9:20am On Sep 26, 2020
protocol:
I have a business online where I sell items to mostly Americans. For the past three years I excluded prices on my sales letter. This month, I started putting my price on the sales letter and so far I have sold about 14 items compare to atmost 4 I sell monthly.

That’s Americans. Orientation and culture differs.
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by maasoap(m): 9:31am On Sep 26, 2020
FuckHomophobes:
I think they don't want competitors to know about their price. Talk about keeping your secret safe.

How about giving you the price and you ghost them? That shit is painful from the client end angry

They simply don't want to sell to all the customers at uniform price, they're capitalising on the individual customer inability to bargain.
BTW: competition is good for free market like ours
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Denique(f): 9:34am On Sep 26, 2020
pocohantas:

I am sure it annoys me more o. That thing dey make me vex ehn! It isn’t transparent to me and I don’t do business with such people. I just want to be sure I am not judging them harshly. Maybe their intentions are noble.

They do that to afford them the opportunity to put varying price tags on their goods and/or services depending on who is buying or their perspective of you!

It isn't out of place to call such people cunning.
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by maasoap(m): 9:35am On Sep 26, 2020
FuckHomophobes:
I think they don't want competitors to know about their price. Talk about keeping your secret safe.

How about giving you the price and you ghost them? That shit is painful from the client end angry
Kendumazy:

You don't term them con artist bro. Don't generalize. All you have got to do is to look away and jump pass like you said.

Above: lie
Below: truth

Tayeni:
I think it's because of indecision on the seller's part. They can't stick to a segment of the market for fear of missing out on sales. They want to sell to highend buyers at crazy prices and also to price sensitive buyers for low margins.
Sixfeetbelle:

4 Likes

Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Teddy224: 9:42am On Sep 26, 2020
FuckHomophobes:

Nice one. henceforth, this is what I'll be doing to them.
they should share in my joy too � cheesy
Re: DM For Price: Why Do Online Vendors Do This? by Edaniels9(m): 10:01am On Sep 26, 2020
FuckHomophobes:

No bro, that is putting emotions before business. Tell them your price, who go buy, go buy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Price To Ship Documents From Nigeria To USA Via UPS, DHL, FEDEX / AMAC Seals Restaurant With Customers And Staff Still Inside / Ifeanyi Ubah Buys A Car For Adichie Izuchukwu, His Aide (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.