Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,889 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? (61029 Views)

Phone I Ordered From Aliexpress Is Being Held By Nigerian Customs / How Can I Unlock An LG Fone Sent From Germany? / "I Sent A Samsung Phone From Finland To Nigeria, My Brother Got Biscuit" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by omoadeleye(m): 7:38am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:

I just collected them.

1..Hp ipaq glisten,cost is w $48 and the duty I paid is #600.

2...Hp ipaq h6318,cost is $10 and the duty I paid is #300

3...Iphone 10,the cost is $450 and the duty I paid is a whopping #41,000

Guy, that $450 dollas is too much. F.K
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Lavisha(f): 9:13am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:

I just collected them.

What is lphone 10?!

you mean iphone X?!
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by blowjob: 9:14am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,
So I bought three used smart phones from eBay.
The phones just came this afternoon via EMS post office.

The office called me and said my items have arrived, but I am gonna pay #41,000 as custom duty.This means I am am average of 13,000 per phone.

This is ridiculously high for a country who does not produce a phone.

It's also very surprising that the phones are even old used phones that reigned in 2006.

Edited.

I just collected them.

BUY LOCAL angry
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 24, 2020
Really sad government not making things any easier for small businesses
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by kayfact123(m): 9:14am On Sep 24, 2020
Nigeria is going bleeped up
Currently hyping my Oduduwa republic

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by CutieMya(f): 9:15am On Sep 24, 2020
Nawa ooooo, World people, So u ve nothing to say, na him u take plenty grammar start like say u get beta opinion...I believe say God go see u true because naso e take dey start....
Earlystar698:
If i am going to be honest with you ,in my own humble opinion without being sentimental of course, without offending anyone who thinks differently from my own point of view,but also by looking into this matter in distinctive perspective ,i would like to say i have nothing to say.

6 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by zuraking(m): 9:16am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:

I just collected them.

in case of next time, a lot of legit ppl who can help u buy from ebay, amazon or china and bring it for u at cheaper price..

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Mathberyl: 9:17am On Sep 24, 2020
Well...who knows

Besides I design quite alot of things... check my signature! grin
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by naturefellow(m): 9:17am On Sep 24, 2020
Openbusiness:
they didn't overcharge you. Nigeria Customs duty rate for phones is about 17% price of the item. Based on your purchase price of $450, and then they billed you N41k duty, that's roughly 18% duty or so depending on the exchange rate been used. So it falls within the range. You paid full duty, dazall.
Terrible FX may have exacerbated the matter.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by AerialMapper: 9:17am On Sep 24, 2020
Customs do not use the buying price of the phone; unfortunately they have a google department that their job is to research online the selling price of the phone and they tax you based on that!

The country is broke and they need money!

4 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by trilacos: 9:18am On Sep 24, 2020
Muoweta:

Sense no go kill us[9ja will teach u street 100%], currently replying with a phone I got online gionee m7. Seller packaged it as speaker. I paid #500.
how much is it altogether?what about the phone camera and battery life?
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Anyiamaka: 9:20am On Sep 24, 2020
Earlystar698:
If i am going to be honest with you ,in my own humble opinion without being sentimental of course, without offending anyone who thinks differently from my own point of view,but also by looking into this matter in distinctive perspective ,i would like to say i have nothing to say.

You are too smart by half...badoo sneh

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by UDUJ(m): 9:21am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

The office called me and said my items have arrived, but I am gonna pay #41,000 as custom duty.This means I am am average of 13,000 per phone.

It's also very surprising that the phones are even old used phones that reigned in 2006.

Edited.

I just collected them.

Next time you want to buy anything from the US like electronics etc use Amazon. Shop from amazon and at check out pay for priority international express. Amazon will then send it through DHL or UPS. Once it arrives Nigeria DHL and UPS does the customs clearance for you, you don't pay a dime to Nigerian customs because it's already in the shipping fees you paid while shoppong at Amazon.com

This is what I always do whenever I shop from the US. And it takes an average of just 4 to 5 working days to get to me once its shipped from the US.

Nigerian customs are criminals and better avoided cool

36 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Flytime: 9:24am On Sep 24, 2020
OneCorner:
Which one iPhone 10?
Your claims sounds bogus though
iphone x
It's the same
X means 10

8 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by ayusco85(m): 9:25am On Sep 24, 2020
SUPERPACK:
Na to tell the company to package it as charger or put it in another cheap phone carton.

You obviously have never received stuffs from abroad. Every parcel is opened and repackaged. Imagine lying about its content, do the maths in Ur head

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by uuzba(m): 9:25am On Sep 24, 2020
If the money is too much, don't buy again na?!
Which question are you asking again ?
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by ghettochild(m): 9:26am On Sep 24, 2020
SUPERPACK:
Na to tell the company to package it as charger or put it in another cheap phone carton.
Lol.. So u don't know they open phone packages n check out the content...
Well same thing happened to me here in SA.
I got some old phones sent to me from Colorado..
I was made to pay 1500rand before I got all those phones..
But these things are received free in Nigeria, since when they started charging this much??
I did get a phone from US in 2015 via FedEx.. Was only asked to show proof of relationship jst to prove it wasn't a phone gotten via scam...
The officials that worked at the customs department of FedEx.. Were like... We can see this is legit after the sender had mailed dem a copy of her ID n stating the relationship btw us.. Las Las they begged for money.... U know how we scopingly as people for money..
I had to part with 1000naira..
Well Nigeria is going down in shambles

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by ajbabs(m): 9:27am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

Edited.

I just collected them.

You bought phone worth of $450 in US and you called it ordinary.
Do you even bother to know that car dealers pay as much as #350,000 as custom duties on cars (salvage) purchased for as low as $1,200 from US?

14 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by ghettochild(m): 9:27am On Sep 24, 2020
Muoweta:

Sense no go kill us[9ja will teach u street 100%], currently replying with a phone I got online gionee m7. Seller packaged it as speaker. I paid #500.
Was it not opened to check d contents?

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by vickydevoka(m): 9:28am On Sep 24, 2020
Abeg no try by car o. Bcus if them charge u for Benz I fit go Punch newspaper go report
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by 2cribz: 9:28am On Sep 24, 2020
Dem job u,your DN for iphone no suppose pass 3k or 4k max. Everytin no suppose reach 5k sef.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by wink2015(m): 9:29am On Sep 24, 2020
Earlystar698:

ARE YOU DONE WITH YOUR TIME WASTING ENGLISH?

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by alingo2013(m): 9:29am On Sep 24, 2020
hisgrace090:
Mind you that everybody is looking for who to cheat in this enclave.

Multiple tax upon tax, nothing to show for it because fraudsters are on top.

Treasure single account TSA introduced by Buhari govt is now irrelevance as they've started appointing treasurers to money making ministries all because of excess
fraud in town.
Fear 9ja!!?

Am with you

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by MondayOsunbor(m): 9:29am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

Edited.

I just collected them.

we no get hope for this country
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by rottennaija(m): 9:30am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

Edited.

I just collected them.

You are paying for your consumption taste.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Install Obb Files Successfully, I Need Help / If Your Phone Is Doing Any Of These Things, It's Time To Change It / Unboxing TECNO Spark K7: Quick Look At Camera, Gaming and Antutu (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.