Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,753 members, 7,802,309 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:19 PM

Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? (61018 Views)

Phone I Ordered From Aliexpress Is Being Held By Nigerian Customs / How Can I Unlock An LG Fone Sent From Germany? / "I Sent A Samsung Phone From Finland To Nigeria, My Brother Got Biscuit" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by BuyLand22(m): 9:30am On Sep 24, 2020
Lavisha:

What is lphone 10?!

you mean iphone X?!

Ogbeni he is correct, it's iPhone ten or X,
X is Roman numeral for ten or 10. That's why after X they did 11

17 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Femeto: 9:31am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,
So I bought three used smart phones from eBay.
The phones just came this afternoon via EMS post office.

The office called me and said my items have arrived, but I am gonna pay #41,000 as custom duty.This means I am am average of 13,000 per phone.

This is ridiculously high for a country who does not produce a phone.

It's also very surprising that the phones are even old used phones that reigned in 2006.

Edited.

I just collected them.

1..Hp ipaq glisten,cost is w $48 and the duty I paid is #600.

2...Hp ipaq h6318,cost is $10 and the duty I paid is #300

3...Iphone 10,the cost is $450 and the duty I paid is a whopping #41,000
That's quite expensive. Customs will only remitt half of that money.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by kudinkarfe: 9:31am On Sep 24, 2020
Fatbabyfart:
Who knows
Maybe the phones are worth 200k
So 13k isn't much for a custom duty
like seriously?
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Clicked: 9:32am On Sep 24, 2020
OneCorner:
Which one iPhone 10?
Your claims sounds bogus though

Lavisha:

What is lphone 10?!

you mean iphone X?!

Just curious. You guys weren't taught Roman numerals in primary school?

10 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by 2cribz: 9:32am On Sep 24, 2020
Dia papa,u even gave them 1k, its a courier company so why all the shalaye. What nonsense ID,and relationship querry crap.common logistic crappy company asking u to provide this and that.
ghettochild:

Lol.. So u don't know they open phone packages n check out the content...
Well same thing happened to me here in SA.
I got some old phones sent to me from Colorado..
I was made to pay 1500rand before I got all those phones..
But these things are received free in Nigeria, since when they started charging this much??
I did get a phone from US in 2015 via FedEx.. Was only asked to show proof of relationship jst to prove it wasn't a phone gotten via scam...
The officials that worked at the customs department of FedEx.. Were like... We can see this is legit after the sender had mailed dem a copy of her ID n stating the relationship btw us.. Las Las they begged for money.... U know how we scopingly as people for money..
I had to part with 1000naira..
Well Nigeria is going down in shambles
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Playzer: 9:32am On Sep 24, 2020
Next time use DHL, although expensive but will save you the stress with customs charges. You don’t have to pay anything since the custom charges are included in the fees you pay and you get your items within 4 to 5 days

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by MondayOsunbor(m): 9:32am On Sep 24, 2020
AerialMapper:
Customs do not use the buying price of the phone; unfortunately they have a google department that their job is to research online the selling price of the phone and they tax you based on that!

The country is broke and they need money!

when oil was high them sell loot the money

today na we go pay
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by macho44(m): 9:33am On Sep 24, 2020
Muoweta:

Sense no go kill us[9ja will teach u street 100%], currently replying with a phone I got online gionee m7. Seller packaged it as speaker. I paid #500.
u get luck say dem no open am. If not, your name na sorry for trying to CHEAT the Federal Republic Of This We Country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb87XSmmW1E
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by BoboKush(m): 9:34am On Sep 24, 2020
UDUJ:

Next time you want to buy anything from the US like electronics etc use Amazon. Shop from amazon and at check out pay for priority international express. Amazon will then send it through DHL or UPS. Once it arrives Nigeria DHL and UPS does the customs clearance for you, you don't pay a dime to Nigerian customs because it's already in the shipping fees you paid while shoppong at Amazon.com

This is what I always do whenever I shop from the US. And it takes an average of just 4 to 5 working days to get to me once its shipped from the US.

Nigerian customs are criminals and better avoided cool

Pls I will like to ask u something.... I sent pm already.... Thanks
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Qadaffi2idiamin: 9:34am On Sep 24, 2020
That's what incompetence and stupidity can do to a nation...

We have useless cattle rearers as heads of government... useless Fulani customs service

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by aspiring44: 9:35am On Sep 24, 2020
SUPERPACK:
Na to tell the company to package it as charger or put it in another cheap phone carton.

It is called false declaration in customs parlance and can lead to forfeiture .

Just do the right thing to be free of worries.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Openbusiness: 9:35am On Sep 24, 2020
Lol, wrong thread grin. Tot I was in the naira vs dollar thread
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Prompto: 9:35am On Sep 24, 2020
ayokellany:
it is high.

Next time use Mimi logistics.

We charge brand new phone per phone.

$50 per phone + 7.5% VAT

If its used phones and they are many above 6 lbs, we will charge it per lbs, but if its less than 6 lbs, we charge you $50 + 7.5 government VAT.

You can check our website whenever you want to ship from US, Turkey or China.

www.mimil.ng/faq.php for answers to vital questions about importation
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Lavisha(f): 9:35am On Sep 24, 2020
BuyLand22:

Ogbeni he is correct, it's iPhone ten or X,
X is Roman numeral for ten or 10. That's why after X they did 11
Okay then, N13k is not much delivering that phone.
he should thank his stars the phone is not stolen or sized by SARS/EFCC at the post office waiting for you to show face and do you shege buy calling you a Yahoo boy.
EMS have become shittyy, it won't be long before Europe blacklist shipping to Naija via EMS.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Kabiyesi12(m): 9:37am On Sep 24, 2020
I thought duty on every phone was #600? I don't know when things gone dis bad.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Lavisha(f): 9:38am On Sep 24, 2020
Clicked:

Just curious. You guys weren't taught Roman numerals in primary school?
Smh
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by HappyCanadian: 9:38am On Sep 24, 2020
I am interested in this thread.. so if I send phone/laptop.. hope say customs go dey there lane
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by jospepper(m): 9:38am On Sep 24, 2020
mimilogistics:
it is high.

Next time use Mimi logistics.

We charge brand new phone per phone.

$50 per phone + 7.5% VAT

If its used phones and they are many above 6 lbs, we will charge it per lbs, but if its less than 6 lbs, we charge you $50 + 7.5 government VAT.

You can check our website whenever you want to ship from US, Turkey or China.

www.mimil.ng/faq.php for answers to vital questions about importation
how much per Ibs for phones sir.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by mattmogan88: 9:39am On Sep 24, 2020
SHAKING MY HEAD
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by olarid01: 9:40am On Sep 24, 2020
UDUJ:

Next time you want to buy anything from the US like electronics etc use Amazon. Shop from amazon and at check out pay for priority international express. Amazon will then send it through DHL or UPS. Once it arrives Nigeria DHL and UPS does the customs clearance for you, you don't pay a dime to Nigerian customs because it's already in the shipping fees you paid while shoppong at Amazon.com

This is what I always do whenever I shop from the US. And it takes an average of just 4 to 5 working days to get to me once its shipped from the US.

This ain't true bro. I recently bought an Huawei Nova 5i Pro, seller put a price of $220 on it although I actually paid $350. Shipped with dhl for $55 and yet, I was still called by DHL to pay a custom duty of approx 55k before clearance.
I later yawa for them, Las Las, na 34k I paid for the claerance.

8 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by symbianDON(m): 9:41am On Sep 24, 2020
Muoweta:

Sense no go kill us[9ja will teach u street 100%], currently replying with a phone I got online gionee m7. Seller packaged it as speaker. I paid #500.
grin sense don scatter for that seller head...which store be that abeg??

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Keraxes: 9:43am On Sep 24, 2020
Playzer:
Next time use DHL, although expensive but will save you the stress with customs charges. You don’t have to pay anything since the custom charges are included in the fees you pay and you get your items within 4 to 5 days
Using Dhl or nipost as nothing to do with custom charges because Dhl also will give items to customs for inspection and custom would collect custom charges

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by HappyCanadian: 9:44am On Sep 24, 2020
UDUJ:

Sounds good
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by ghettochild(m): 9:45am On Sep 24, 2020
Ebenezer2021:
gosh but why taking so long? someone gifted me a laptop from the US since September 1st and I'm yet to receive it.
You get Patience sha
If na NIPOST e dey go thru.. Forgerrit!

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Keraxes: 9:45am On Sep 24, 2020
olarid01:

This ain't true bro. I recently bought an Huawei Nova 5i Pro, seller put a price of $220 on it although I actually paid $350. Shipped with dhl for $55 and yet, I was still called by DHL to pay a custom duty of approx 55k before clearance.
I later yawa for them, Las Las, na 34k I paid for the claerance.
You paid custom charges because the seller who sent the item didn’t pay the charges from the import country

4 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Drew13: 9:46am On Sep 24, 2020
Youngpo413:
iphone 10!
IPhone x
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by supaflex: 9:46am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

The office called me and said my items have arrived, but I am gonna pay #41,000 as custom duty.This means I am am average of 13,000 per phone.

It's also very surprising that the phones are even old used phones that reigned in 2006.

Edited.

I just collected them.

How long did it take for your items to arrive?
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by shortgun(m): 9:48am On Sep 24, 2020
UDUJ:

Mr, stop saying what you don't know.
This is a lie.
You will pay custom duty even with DHL, UPS e.t.c.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Airfoce1(m): 9:49am On Sep 24, 2020
Earlystar698:
If i am going to be honest with you ,in my own humble opinion without being sentimental of course, without offending anyone who thinks differently from my own point of view,but also by looking into this matter in distinctive perspective ,i would like to say i have nothing to say.
than you are a full-time fucking fullish full
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Omooba77: 9:50am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

Edited.

I just collected them.

Looking for revenue anyhow!
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by suremanpatriot: 9:53am On Sep 24, 2020
It is not nigeria customs but individuals in custom uniform abusing the custom tarrif systems,all of them should go for proper clean up of customs. Hire oyinbo mercineries lik in S.A to do these jobs and naija go beta sad

3 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by adisabarber(m): 9:53am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

Edited.

I just collected them.

Did you declare them as used? Next time ask for revaluation.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Install Obb Files Successfully, I Need Help / If Your Phone Is Doing Any Of These Things, It's Time To Change It / Unboxing TECNO Spark K7: Quick Look At Camera, Gaming and Antutu (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.