Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? (61031 Views)

Phone I Ordered From Aliexpress Is Being Held By Nigerian Customs / How Can I Unlock An LG Fone Sent From Germany? / "I Sent A Samsung Phone From Finland To Nigeria, My Brother Got Biscuit" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by suremanpatriot: 9:54am On Sep 24, 2020
Earlystar698:
If i am going to be honest with you ,in my own humble opinion without being sentimental of course, without offending anyone who thinks differently from my own point of view,but also by looking into this matter in distinctive perspective ,i would like to say i have nothing to say.
well noted, clown grin grin grin
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by BuyLand22(m): 9:55am On Sep 24, 2020
Lavisha:

Okay then, N13k is not much delivering that phone.
he should thank his stars the phone is not stolen or sized by SARS/EFCC at the post office waiting for you to show face and do you shege buy calling you a Yahoo boy.
EMS have become shittyy, it won't be long before Europe blacklist shipping to Naija via EMS.
lol, naija matter long
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Dellaxlogistic: 9:55am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,
So I bought three used smart phones from eBay.
The phones just came this afternoon via EMS post office.

The office called me and said my items have arrived, but I am gonna pay #41,000 as custom duty.This means I am am average of 13,000 per phone.

This is ridiculously high for a country who does not produce a phone.

It's also very surprising that the phones are even old used phones that reigned in 2006.

Edited.

I just collected them.

1..Hp ipaq glisten,cost is w $48 and the duty I paid is #600.

2...Hp ipaq h6318,cost is $10 and the duty I paid is #300

3...Iphone 10,the cost is $450 and the duty I paid is a whopping #41,000
You are not supposed to pay any dime for items 1 and 2 ...for item 3 it is over charged

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Thetruthalways: 10:01am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

The office called me and said my items have arrived, but I am gonna pay #41,000 as custom duty.This means I am am average of 13,000 per phone.

It's also very surprising that the phones are even old used phones that reigned in 2006.

Edited.

I just collected them.

I have noticed this for about 2 years now...if it is iphone, they charge this much. Even if it is iphone 6...you will be shocked if it was iphone 11...you would have paid money for another budget phone
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by tranxo(m): 10:02am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

Edited.

I just collected them.

IPhone 10 reigned in 2006? Okay oo
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by 0taPiaPia(m): 10:03am On Sep 24, 2020
hisgrace090:
Mind you that everybody is looking for who to cheat in this enclave.

Multiple tax upon tax, nothing to show for it because fraudsters are on top.

Treasure single account TSA introduced by Buhari govt is now irrelevance as they've started appointing treasurers to money making ministries all because of excess fraud in town.
Fear 9ja!!?

I thought the griller man said TSA it’s the best thing ever to happen to Naija after sliced bread
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by SmartPolician: 10:04am On Sep 24, 2020
Psalm126:
U didn't not mention d type of phones

Why?

Abeggiiii
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 24, 2020
mimilogistics:
it is high.

Next time use Mimi logistics.

We charge brand new phone per phone.

$50 per phone + 7.5% VAT

If its used phones and they are many above 6 lbs, we will charge it per lbs, but if its less than 6 lbs, we charge you $50 + 7.5 government VAT.

You can check our website whenever you want to ship from US, Turkey or China.

www.mimil.ng/faq.php for answers to vital questions about importation

Where is your office address in Lagos?
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by just2endowed: 10:06am On Sep 24, 2020
ajbabs:

You bought phone worth of $450 in US and you called it ordinary.
Do you even bother to know that car dealers pay as much as #350,000 as custom duties on cars (salvage) purchased for as low as $1,200 from US?

Its like custom charge base on new price.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Stricklybidness(m): 10:08am On Sep 24, 2020
SUPERPACK:
Na to tell the company to package it as charger or put it in another cheap phone carton.
Correct g.
You b street guy I swear.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Brio984(m): 10:10am On Sep 24, 2020
Muoweta:

Sense no go kill us[9ja will teach u street 100%], currently replying with a phone I got online gionee m7. Seller packaged it as speaker. I paid #500.
Abeg give me update
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by zoedew: 10:10am On Sep 24, 2020
Earlystar698:
If i am going to be honest with you ,in my own humble opinion without being sentimental of course, without offending anyone who thinks differently from my own point of view,but also by looking into this matter in distinctive perspective ,i would like to say i have nothing to say.
how funny can you be! have a bottle of chilled fanta on me and tell the person standing by you at the fanta stand to pay for you on my behalf!! wink wink smiley smiley

6 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Ooe33: 10:11am On Sep 24, 2020
Lol. No cheating oh. High-end phone are taxes from 20-50% oh. Customs eyes dey red.

hisgrace090:
Mind you that everybody is looking for who to cheat in this enclave.

Multiple tax upon tax, nothing to show for it because fraudsters are on top.

Treasure single account TSA introduced by Buhari govt is now irrelevance as they've started appointing treasurers to money making ministries all because of excess fraud in town.
Fear 9ja!!?
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by showafrica(m): 10:11am On Sep 24, 2020
SUPERPACK:
Na to tell the company to package it as charger or put it in another cheap phone carton.

Na waiting the guy no no, you dont put too much value on ur package. U can even tell the seller to rate it 5$
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Olumax3028: 10:12am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

Edited.

I just collected them.

Bro, let me tell you what to do. Ask for the custom personel's number. Call him and negotiate. They are the most corrupt people in this country. I'm speaking from experience.
I bought 2 MacBooks last year. The custom duty was 135k until I called one of them and negotiated the release of my package. Ended up paying 52k.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by wisdomkid: 10:15am On Sep 24, 2020
Fatbabyfart:
Who knows
Maybe the phones are worth 200k
So 13k isn't much for a custom duty

Senseless people dey this country sha.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 24, 2020
Don't you use nipost?
Why pay 41k duty for a used phone?
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by WinLABSstores: 10:25am On Sep 24, 2020
Earlystar698:

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by udemzyudex(m): 10:25am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

Edited.

I just collected them.

Next time use a shipping agent.

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by onatisi(m): 10:28am On Sep 24, 2020
mad ooooo
Earlystar698:
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by honharr(m): 10:29am On Sep 24, 2020
Next time ask me how.You would have paid just $30 /)to get your phone
Kubernetes:
Hello,

Edited.

I just collected them.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by WinLABSstores: 10:30am On Sep 24, 2020
mimilogistics:
it is high.

Next time use Mimi logistics.

We charge brand new phone per phone.

$50 per phone + 7.5% VAT

If its used phones and they are many above 6 lbs, we will charge it per lbs, but if its less than 6 lbs, we charge you $50 + 7.5 government VAT.

You can check our website whenever you want to ship from US, Turkey or China.

www.mimil.ng/faq.php for answers to vital questions about importation
You guys are even worse.
$50 is 23k!

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by onyibest2k(m): 10:35am On Sep 24, 2020
we always talk about buhari you dont know this people are the mean cause of high commodities in nigeria they sabi collect back hand die

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by WinLABSstores: 10:39am On Sep 24, 2020
ajbabs:

You bought phone worth of $450 in US and you called it ordinary.
Do you even bother to know that car dealers pay as much as #350,000 as custom duties on cars (salvage) purchased for as low as $1,200 from US?
Guy
Weight matters a lot too.
You can't compare a car weighing 1000kg to a phone weighing less than a kg.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by Ustec: 10:40am On Sep 24, 2020
samsard:
Every country charges custom duties as a way of generating revenue! Does everything have to be politics and tribe?
People will always complain,
A country where the government is trying to make sure everything follow due process so that there can be accountability and transparency so as to reduce corruption and embezzlements in every sector. But because they have been making illegal money from it before now, they now tag the current initiatives to curb those act as a bad one.
Yet they want Nigeria to be like the develope countries.
Nigeria will never be great again if the citizens can't support something that will benefit the country in the near future.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by ibuildstuff(m): 10:42am On Sep 24, 2020
Earlystar698:
But I saw this thing like 15yrs ago, it's old already.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by lakesider(m): 10:45am On Sep 24, 2020
That's not too much.. Try sending same item to USA and see how much custom will charge
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by alfajohn: 10:46am On Sep 24, 2020
Nigerian custom looking for money with red eye. Bought clothes worth 193 British pounds and was given a duty of 39k to pay. The annoying thing is that the cloths have been sent by Royal Mail/ Nipost since 1st of August but it never came. The seller had to declare the merchandise lost in transit after 30 working days and I elected for reissue but had to ship by DHL that cost 56 pounds instead of refund. So you are lucky Nipost even delivered you merchandise. The merchandise was eventually delivered by NIPOST

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by GuestLog: 10:46am On Sep 24, 2020
Muoweta:

Sense no go kill us[9ja will teach u street 100%], currently replying with a phone I got online gionee m7. Seller packaged it as speaker. I paid #500.
Are you for real or just kidding? Won't the customs from country of origin decline the shipment based on wrongful information?
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by bluefilm: 10:49am On Sep 24, 2020
Kubernetes:
Hello,

Edited.

I just collected them.

Next time, try and give it to someone you know and trust who is coming to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by murphymakun(m): 10:49am On Sep 24, 2020
Early this year i used #13000 to clear Huawei p30 lite fairly used sent from uk. I was so angry but there’s nothing I can’t do.
Re: Does Nigerian Customs Charge This High For Ordinary Smartphone Sent From US? by pat077: 10:52am On Sep 24, 2020
udemzyudex:

Next time use a shipping agent.
does it mean one won't pay the custom fee if I use a shipping agent?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Install Obb Files Successfully, I Need Help / If Your Phone Is Doing Any Of These Things, It's Time To Change It / Unboxing TECNO Spark K7: Quick Look At Camera, Gaming and Antutu (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.