Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,189 members, 7,807,641 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:44 PM

State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? (20603 Views)

Bank Cleaner Job Or A Guest House Job: Which Is Better / 50 Million Naira Or Civil Service Job, Which One Will You Choose? / Edo State Civil Service Commission Massive Job Recruitment (37 Positions) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 24, 2020
If I were you I would take the multinational organization’s offer.
I do not encourage young graduates to take up government job offers immediately after service except it’s in parastatals or agencies. Some ministries will render you redundant.

My cikini advice

Take the multinational offer, learn as fast as you can
Don’t keep idle cash in the name of savings
Invest in lucrative side hustles and probably become an employer of labour if you are business savvy.

I cannot imagine myself living in poverty or mediocre life all because I have hope of enjoying life after 15-20 solid years of service

2 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Uniquekriss(m): 3:26pm On Sep 24, 2020
Government jobs pay lesser, have ' security' and gives you time for other things buh be rest assured that you'll remain a mediocre, it can only take you a minimum of 10years working with state civil service before you are able to save up to buy a good car, here, redundancy is the order of the day, as for the multinational job which pays more than double of the government job, you have room to expand and improve your CV cos you are rest assured of company sponsored trainings, other remunerations like, free healthcare services, data and airtime subscriptions, end of the year packages, if you are determined and gifted, within three years you must have added value to your life and the firm that when you wanna leave they'd not wanna lose you, not forgetting the fact that non government organizations sap people energy, time, and any other wise thereby having little or no time for other things. Buh I'm sure the dividends would suffice.

3 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by bash8936: 3:31pm On Sep 24, 2020
LASG entry level better pass that mnc salary unless you’re a teacher.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by samwillyco1(m): 3:33pm On Sep 24, 2020
Do a well research about the company and another thing to consider is time ( free time or chance you have from the Job to attend to other things), if you can get some free period for your self go for company work, but if not for me is a no no .

Government work at the other hand will give you a enough free time to attend to other things, with JOB security unlike the Company work, for me I will go for the Government work and venture into business and make enough money with GOOD Connection if you can raise the Capital since you are from well to do background, so consider your free period first.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by JennyOfOldstones(f): 3:42pm On Sep 24, 2020
SeedofAbraham:
Good morning Nairalanders,

I've been having sleepless night recently as I've been confused in decision making due to the fact that I'm not well experienced about Job matters.

I presently got an offer at a State Public Service with GL 8 Salary Scale of 63k+ monthly (though it's poor) but with a rest assured constant Promotion every 3 years subject to success in Promotion Exercise. There's also hope that in the next 18 years, I'll get to the Directorate levels (GL 15 - 17) where the Pay Structure seems better with Jumbo rise compared to the poor salary structure of GL 7 - 14... Meaning that I'll have to endure till then before enjoyment start coming. Please note that in addition to Promotion every 3 years, this State Public Service don't owe workers salary as they pay in due time as we all know that Public Service has Job Security. Also, I hope by God's Grace that I become a Permanent Secretary if I decide to choose this path while enduring the Salary (I can switch to Federal Parastatals if the Job Offer comes up later though).

On the other hand, I'm about to get a Full time Staff offer from a Multinational Company (Headquarter is based in the US) with more than 120k Salary for a start. There's Career growth and the chance of living comfortably & enjoying life is cool compared to the State Public Service in terms of Salary. We all know that Private Organisations can decide to lay off workers at any time as there's no Job Security. Also, I don't know if Multinational Companies usually lay off only Contract Staff or they can decide to lay off Permanent Staff as well... Though, the Multinational Company have a Pension Scheme for their Staff & didn't lay off workers during this COVID-19 Pandemic as they were operating during the lockdown since they provide essential services.

I wasn't born & brought up with a Silver Spoon and I never pray to struggle in life henceforth as Poverty must die. I'm a Second Class Upper graduate with proven abilities and outstanding performance as I'm a Problem Solver.

I need the assistance of experienced Nairalanders as your advice and point of views with detailed explanations will be highly appreciated.
There's no point wasting all this potential on the civil service. If you want to truly advance in your career then you'd better go for the multi-national job. You'd be exposed to an environment where you'd have no option but to add value to yourself because of the kind of people you would work and interact with. The fact that you've worked for a multi-national company would open doors for you anywhere. Although a civil service job guarantees job security, you would be prone to complacency therefore you would lack the drive for self-improvement and there's no guarantee you would be get to the position of a Permanent Secretary before retirement.
Who knows, the kind of exposure you would gain and the network you would make while working for the multi-national might even get you the position of a commissioner in the future.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by mikedoo(m): 3:52pm On Sep 24, 2020
solmus:
cool

Check out the life of staffs of the Multi national
and compare it to that of state civil service

Goto to the car park and see what they drive

Check their shoes and wristwatches

Walk in to their offices and see who begs you for money

State government jobs give you the illusion of comfort and job security, but truly when you retire you may find out you wasted your lifetime on
peanut income, no gratuity , shitty pension

According to your claims.. State government job pays 65k, Multi national job pays 125k .. then open a retirement savings account with Stanbic IBTC or Leadway insurance, tell them to save 60k monthly as your pension contributions and spend 65k, you can also put the 60k in mutual funds Account

Bro you are a professional in checks and balances. To be frank you can easily get to Know the welfare of an establishment by checking out those things you mentioned.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by LaExpert: 4:02pm On Sep 24, 2020
You're more likely to be better off with the Multinational job.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by benzion72(m): 4:05pm On Sep 24, 2020
Bros it is tough. What does the multinational job entails. Hope it is not sales? Can you establish the same business here or is the entry level too high?. Can you huzzle by yourself. Government job give you a lot of time that you can use for personal development but multinational will squeeze you dry of time. The decision is yours

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Mac2016(m): 4:11pm On Sep 24, 2020
DaddyGngeess:
Though I have never work for anybody in my entire life but my own advice is you should go for state because is gives you garranty for life, i have an uncle that retires last year from Lagos state
he was paid close to 7m this year for pension, again the way this country is going government workers are improving cos I remember many years back when there is nothing for them, if you wanna go for the other you should learn how to invest later because anything can happen.

Peace.
This may not be right! Wait 35years in penury (in a life that's not even guaranteed) for 7m naira in savings, a sum that could be made in less than 5 years in multi national?
Totally wrong. If you offer the right value, you will be useful and be sought after and job security is there...

2 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Majikman(m): 4:25pm On Sep 24, 2020
So u want to wait till the next 18yrs b4 u start collecting a tangible salary All in d name of job security? ... its asif ur head is not working well .
my friend if ur not interested in the multinational job let them know so that they'll give the next person ... mtchewww

4 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Deepocean(m): 4:44pm On Sep 24, 2020
I could psychologically read that you are more interested in the state employment, hence I will advise you go for the civil service job. As you analysis you could become Permanent Secretary and another advantage is that you could also get political appointment if you know how to play your game alongside God's factor working for you.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by nakaman: 5:01pm On Sep 24, 2020
with what am seeing there are more hearts on multinational firms, but like anambra state their pay and mode of operation is ok.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Onyeka8: 5:11pm On Sep 24, 2020
solmus:
cool

Check out the life of staffs of the Multi national company

State government jobs give you the illusion of comfort and job security, but truly when you retire you may find out you wasted your lifetime on

According to your claims.. State government job pays 65k, Multi national job pays 125k .. then open a retirement savings account with Stanbic IBTC or Leadway insurance, tell them to save 60k monthly as your pension contributions and spend 65k, you can also put the 60k in mutual funds Account

Baba you have said it all.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by frog12: 6:38pm On Sep 24, 2020
are you sure? pension is 65 to 70% of monthly salary?
that sounds GENEROUS!

LikeAking:

Bro private comps dont pay pension,but the workers are part of a contributry pension scheme.

One some one is retired from a private firm the company will not fund the pension.
If private comps fund pension they wiill be broke/losses.

While the govt retire will enjoy a sound montly pension till they day they die.

The pension of govt workers is around 65-70% of their current salary bf retirement for life(Monthly)

Can the pension funds of a private comp retiree earn 70% of his salary has pension for life?.

NO.

Check well.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by K4diamond: 7:22pm On Sep 24, 2020
Go for the multinational company's offer which is better as there are tremendous opportunities if you want to switch to another company.

Forget becoming Permanent Secretary as this is just a solace for your long year of service.

My dad retired as a PS and I currently work in a multinational company, we joined almost the same age, he didn't complete his first house until he clocked 45 why I have 3 and less than 40.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by NoToPile: 7:52pm On Sep 24, 2020
Everybody is saying govt jobs will make one redundant well there are govt jobs and there are govt jobs.There are different categories ooo.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by DaddyGngeess(m): 8:01pm On Sep 24, 2020
Mac2016:

This may not be right! Wait 35years in penury (in a life that's not even guaranteed) for 7m naira in savings, a sum that could be made in less than 5 years in multi national?
Totally wrong. If you offer the right value, you will be useful and be sought after and job security is there...

Some don't even get upto that amount self.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by professore(m): 8:07pm On Sep 24, 2020
solmus:
cool

Check out the life of staffs of the Multi national company

you are sensible bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by JIREN01: 8:27pm On Sep 24, 2020
operationmoses:
You were born and brought up with a silver spoon and you are looking for a job all this nairaland nuisance self
Read that section of his post again; this time, slowly.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by LikeAking: 9:10pm On Sep 24, 2020
frog12:
are you sure? pension is 65 to 70% of monthly salary?
that sounds GENEROUS!

Very generous.

Thats how pensioners are paid.

They earn 65-70% of their current salary bf retirement till they die.

The govts contribute part of it,but private comps dont. They claim it will lead to losses.

Their own flexing start after retirement.

Thats the only gain working with the govt.

Its the reason why people are advising the Op to go for govt work.

Is old age is secured.

No matter the jonzing during in his working days(WAYWARD LIFE STYLE/NO SAVINGS),He will never be a poor guy in old age.

You must have herd them barging about it.

For a private firm retiree his/her flexing might end after service years.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by Samfloxin(m): 9:21pm On Sep 24, 2020
vivalavida:
If it is a state like Lagos that pays regularly, take the state civil service job and get another business to run by the side.
But if it is a state like my imo state that owes three months at a stretch at times, oga, take that multinational job and prove your worth so that even if they downsize, you wont be touched.

I pity my elder bro who is a civil servant in imo state. Ihedioha was doing them well for the 7 months he was as governor. Paid duly as at when. But ever since this Supreme court government called Ozodimgba mounted the saddle, it has never been the same for imo state civil servants.
He has to pay back to the God fathers that sponsored his magical governorship.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by larrypourl(m): 10:06pm On Sep 24, 2020
LikeAking:

guy google is your friend research.

What they are giving you guys is not actually pension.Wait till retirement.

Na all these pension fund mgt things.

It good sha,but cant be compared to the gov guys.

If they work for 10-15 yrs they are sure of a pension for life.
Yours cant carry you for life.
if you live very long.

Bro, the guy is actually correct. Pension is contributory according to the 2004 pension reform act, your pension is contributed monthly into your pension account registered with the PFAs and whatever you contributed after retiring is what you'll get depending on what you picked. if it's Program withdrawal, you'll get paid for 10 years after retirement but if you picked Annuity you'll be paid for life.
My father retired from the private sector and he gets his pension monthly. I work with FG and if I have the opportunity of getting a multinational job, I'm leaving. In fact, the new pension act is very good for those in the private sector because what their company deposits into their PFA account is higher than what any Govt job will deposit into your PFA monthly.

On the issue of paying you pension for life. It depends on what you picked, either Program withdrawal or Annuity after retirement.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by larrypourl(m): 10:15pm On Sep 24, 2020
LikeAking:

The pension from private companies cant carry you till very old age.

They are just saving part of their workers salaries via all these pension mgt companies.By the time the worker will retire reccesion must of erroded the cash.
The money saved by private pension fund managers cant carry the retired workers for a long time after retirement.So it doesnt qualify as a pension.

You can calculate it.

The govt guys get real time pension in sync with the current economy till they die.

All this pension fund managers have infiltrated private companies with their pension things.

Kindly as them about my write up.

Calculate/forecast how much they will save for you in your portfolio and how many years that money will last you if your retire at the age of 57 and live till 85-90.Compare it to the govt guys.

The only benefit of working for any govt is pension.

Bros, things don change oo, pension is now contributory which means what you saved is what you'll be paid after retirement. The one you're referring to is the old pension act. The new pension act don spoil things, all Govt workers should start planning their retirement now because it's no longer juicy as it used to be. Imagine a former registrar of a Fed Poly earning about 55k monthly after retirement. How would he cop? and that's for someone that got to the peak of his career oo, spent over 30 years in active service.

As regards getting paid for life, it all depends on the option you picked, either Annuity or Program withdrawal.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by LikeAking: 10:16pm On Sep 24, 2020
larrypourl:

Bro, the guy is actually correct. Pension is contributory according to the 2004 pension reform act, your pension is contributed monthly into your pension account registered with the PFAs and whatever you contributed after retiring is what you'll get depending on what you picked. if it's Program withdrawal, you'll get paid for 10 years after retirement but if you picked Annuity you'll be paid for life.
My father retired from the private sector and he gets his pension monthly. I work with FG and if I have the opportunity of getting a multinational job, I'm leaving. In fact, the new pension act is very good for those in the private sector because what their company deposits into their PFA account is higher than what any Govt job will deposit into your PFA monthly.

On the issue of paying you pension for life. It depends on what you picked, either Program withdrawal or Annuity after retirement.

Pls comparee wat you dad is earning every month to what is counter parts in the govt sector are earning.

You will know the diff bt Govt pension amd private.

The money saved in your pension fund cant carry you for a long time.

How much can the average worker save in his pension fund/

The government contribute part of the workers pension till they die,while the private guys are on their own after retirement.

So what the private guys are earning doesnt qualify as pension.

I just their own money saved somewhere for them they are getting,but the govt guys get both.

you'll get paid for 10 years after retirement but if you picked Annuity you'll be paid for life.How much will they pay the worker every month is what matters.These guys are cunning.

Will the worker earn 65-70% of his salary bf retirement as his pension for life/.

Private gus must save for their pension,but the govt guys are an opposite.
They enjoy double portion anointing for life.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by LikeAking: 10:18pm On Sep 24, 2020
larrypourl:

Bros, things don change oo, pension is now contributory which means what you saved is what you'll be paid after retirement. The one you're referring to is the old pension act. The new pension act don spoil things, all Govt workers should start planning their retirement now because it's no longer juicy as it used to be. Imagine a former registrar of a Fed Poly earning about 55k monthly after retirement. How would he cop? and that's for someone that got to the peak of his career oo, spent over 30 years in active service.

NO.

I have peeps who are working with govt.

That law is only applicable to private guys.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by larrypourl(m): 10:22pm On Sep 24, 2020
LikeAking:

Pls comparee wat you dad is earning every month to what is counter parts in the govt sector are earning.

You will know the diff bt Govt pension amd private.

The money saved in your pension fund cant carry you for a long time.

How much can the average worker save in his pension fund/

The government contribute part of the workers pension till they die,while the private guys are on their own after retirement.

So what the private guys are earning doesnt qualify as pension.

I just their own money saved somewhere for them they are getting,but the govt guys get both.

you'll get paid for 10 years after retirement but if you picked Annuity you'll be paid for life.How much will they pay the worker every month is what matters.These guys are cunning.

Will the worker earn 65-70% of his salary bf retirement as his pension for life/.

Private gus must save for their pension,but the govt guys are an opposite.
They enjoy double portion anointing for life.

The 2004 pension reform act mandates it that your employers must pay 7.5% while your own 7.5% would also be added making it 15%. Where my father retired, the company followed the act fully. He got all.
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by larrypourl(m): 10:32pm On Sep 24, 2020
LikeAking:

NO.

I have peeps who are working with govt.

That law is only applicable to private guys.

Bros, I work with FG and I'm telling you what's obtainable where I work. Majority of them don't follow up on these things until they're closer to retirement. You need to see how senior colleagues that retired after spending about 30years in service are complaining. I just told u about a former registrar who retired earning a little above 50k after retirement as monthly pension and was earning over 400k before retirement, where as the old pension scheme will continue paying your basic salary excluding allowances till death which amount to the 65-75% you quoted above. Things don change now ooo.
That's all I have to say. Civil servants don wise up oo, all planning their future.

1 Like

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by harbeebski(m): 10:56pm On Sep 25, 2020
Someone7:
It's not even a choice to make. Just think how many years it will take you to earn that salary in the civil service.
After struggling to get a job with my state Government all in the name of getting experience, I abandoned it and took an internship with an iNGO in 2015. They paid me 100k every month. It doesn't sound much but for an intern? Then imagine how much they pay full staff. Finally think about the real life skills and experience you'll gain from the job, which you can use to apply for even better jobs in the future.
Multinational job all day
wow which NGO is that and how did you go about it sire. I'd love to work with one someday

2 Likes

Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by SavageResponse(m): 5:17pm On Sep 27, 2020
SeedofAbraham:
Good morning Nairalanders,

I've been having sleepless night recently as I've been confused in decision making due to the fact that I'm not well experienced about Job matters.

I presently got an offer at a State Public Service with GL 8 Salary Scale of 63k+ monthly (though it's poor) but with a rest assured constant Promotion every 3 years subject to success in Promotion Exercise. There's also hope that in the next 18 years, I'll get to the Directorate levels (GL 15 - 17) where the Pay Structure seems better with Jumbo rise compared to the poor salary structure of GL 7 - 14... Meaning that I'll have to endure till then before enjoyment start coming. Please note that in addition to Promotion every 3 years, this State Public Service don't owe workers salary as they pay in due time as we all know that Public Service has Job Security. Also, I hope by God's Grace that I become a Permanent Secretary if I decide to choose this path while enduring the Salary (I can switch to Federal Parastatals if the Job Offer comes up later though).

On the other hand, I'm about to get a Full time Staff offer from a Multinational Company (Headquarter is based in the US) with more than 120k Salary for a start. There's Career growth and the chance of living comfortably & enjoying life is cool compared to the State Public Service in terms of Salary. We all know that Private Organisations can decide to lay off workers at any time as there's no Job Security. Also, I don't know if Multinational Companies usually lay off only Contract Staff or they can decide to lay off Permanent Staff as well... Though, the Multinational Company have a Pension Scheme for their Staff & didn't lay off workers during this COVID-19 Pandemic as they were operating during the lockdown since they provide essential services.

I wasn't born & brought up with a Silver Spoon and I never pray to struggle in life henceforth as Poverty must die. I'm a Second Class Upper graduate with proven abilities and outstanding performance as I'm a Problem Solver.

I need the assistance of experienced Nairalanders as your advice and point of views with detailed explanations will be highly appreciated.

Go for a multinational job if you want to acquire real life skills at a faster pace
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by ninodaniel(m): 11:43pm On Oct 02, 2020
Chai God wen?
See ppl asking for which one to choose wen i don't even have one
Abeg i need government work
Anyone that can help a brother out God will bless u so much.. Its been years since my graduation still nothing yet...please my lovely nairalanders I'm not begging for money or anything, I'm just begging for who can help link me with any government work...I have been like this for long and already heading into depression
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by bukatyne(f): 3:55pm On Jan 14, 2021
LikeAking:

Only govt est pay pension.Thats the reason why their pay is so low.

Says who?
Re: State Civil Service Job Or Multinational Company Job? Which One Is Advisable? by LikeAking: 10:05pm On Jan 14, 2021
bukatyne:

Says who?

Google it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NPA Recruitment / Experience Using Tstv "Users Comments" / My Job Hunt Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.